Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2014/15

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Is Wenger the first of the Top 6 team managers to concede the title in the 2nd week of November?
    Can't remember it ever happening previously.
    Why are you getting wound up by what he says to the press? There's plenty of more important things on the pitch itself that are more important and relevant

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,428 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

greendom wrote: »
    Why are you getting wound up by what he says to the press? There's plenty of more important things on the pitch itself that are more important and relevant

Saying what he said is bad for team morale and fans morale.
    Some will say he's putting pressure on Chelsea but I don't buy that. They can cope with pressure unlike him.
    He'd be better concentrating on getting things right at his own club because he's certainly not doing that now.
    He always has too much to say on football except when it comes to explaining what went wrong after our defeats.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭farna_boy

Is Wenger the first of the Top 6 team managers to concede the title in the 2nd week of November?
    Can't remember it ever happening previously.

Unless Wenger is going for a Mourinho type mind game or unless he is trying to motivate the players, I have no idea what he is doing conceding this early. I mean we were in a slightly worse position in December 1997 (13 points behind the leaders) and we won the league with two games to spare. For the record, I don't think we will win the league this year, but I do expect a massive improvement as we get players back from injury.
    Some will say he's putting pressure on Chelsea but I don't buy that. They can cope with pressure unlike him.
    He'd be better concentrating on getting things right at his own club because he's certainly not doing that now.
    He always has too much to say on football except when it comes to explaining what went wrong after our defeats.

They didn't handle it too well last year :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

You've had enough of Wenger and anything he does or says will be wrong. That's fine, perfectly understandable.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,694 ✭✭✭emmetlego

I still believe Wenger will turn it around, and get us back to the top, but the starting position is poor, I'll concede. I would give him until the end of this season. When our injuries come back, we will improve greatly. Debuchy and Kos were our 2 best defenders at season start, of course we will miss them. I would also agree that I'd liked Bellerin given a shot on the speedster, Chambers really was poor against him, and maybe he would have been better than Monreal in the middle…

All in all, the capitulation was as annoying as it was frustrating, and some of the players need to take a serious look at their attitude. At one stage, Alexis overtook Ramsey to make a tackle, while Aaron was strolling around. Inspirational by Alexis, dire by Aaron. Santi needs to shake himself up too. Hopefully Theo will be starting against ManU, and hopefully Arsene can use the 2 weeks to come up with a plan.

I actually thought we played well for the most of the 2nd half, bar the few mins where we gave the goals away… You could just see the free going in, considering it was an ex Spud player taking it!!!

Anyway, bad way to start the international break… Hummells and Khedira being linked again to us in the red top rags… I'd take that!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭Nemeses2050

Here we go again...staunch Wenger v Wenger out...:D

Why do people mix up things when they argue about Wenger...

There's no doubt he's the best thing happened to Arsenal, he's brought so much success to Arsenal and I would say he's the reason we're in the top 10 clubs of the world and he's kept us there n there abouts in the era of sugar daddy's and UCL for the last 17 years...with the money available if there's any person I want at the helm of the Arsenal, it is Wenger...he's earned it....

But at the same time he's to be squarely blamed for the diabolical defending and for not buying the defensive cover which is so feckin glaringly obvious...you don't need money to see out the games against the likes of Anderlecht and Swansea...it's just beggars belief :eek: that our full backs b*mb forward at 3-0/1-0 leaving our slowest/makeshift centre backs on their own....No disrespect but even Bellamy could see that Chambers was getting destroyed on the right, why did Wenger not move OX ( I thot he was our best player going forward yesterday) after we scored and help shore us up...and what was gibbs doing in Swansea half...these are school boy errors and I think everyone of us have a right to be peeved off...:mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,118 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

efb wrote: »
    Ask Henry Bergkamp Pires Viera Ljunberg- they will tell you what they think of him
    Considering he is the reason Pires left I don't think he'd get too much of a positive response.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,665 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

Are the injured players that are due back going to transform our tactics, improve our organisation and turn us into a cohesive efficient unit because that's what the problem is. We've conceded stupid goals and big leads when we've had our best players in the team so saying things will improve when they return is meaningless at this stage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭yipeeeee

Quazzie wrote: »
    Considering he is the reason Pires left I don't think he'd get too much of a positive response.

And henry said recently he left because he didn't like the direction Wenger was taking the team.

greendom wrote: »
    You've had enough of Wenger and anything he does or says will be wrong. That's fine, perfectly understandable.

Not really.
    He could start managing and coaching in a way that we'd see a noticeable difference. Then he could stop making excuses as to why he can't fill the gaps with the players needed. I'd be happy with that.
    I always said it didn't matter a jot to me who was managing the team as long as they were playing with pride in the jersey and giving their all.

• Advertisement

They didn't handle it too well last year :)[/QUOTE]

BUT as has been said already by Soups and Marty they did something about it.
    Anytime this has happened they have taken action.

We have not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭byrneg28

So I was being negative at the start of the season when I said we wouldn't win the league, now anyone who said we had a chance was actually delusional? Awesome. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭farna_boy

Are the injured players that are due back going to transform our tactics, improve our organisation and turn us into a cohesive efficient unit because that's what the problem is. We've conceded stupid goals and big leads when we've had our best players in the team so saying things will improve when they return is meaningless at this stage.

Not really. We have many problems right now and I don't want to say which is the biggest, but one of the major ones is at CB. If Kos was fit, it would have been him and not Monreal trying to defend that second goal yesterday, so instead of someone 5'9 trying to stop the cross, we would have had someone 6'1 challenging the striker. Also it would have been Debuchy on the wing and not Chambers which would also change things.

Anyway, that is all speculation. You asked would we be a cohesive, efficient unit. While I'm not sure if the whole team would be a cohesive unit, because I still think our midfield is another problem, our defense would certainly be a lot better and the defense would at least have a chance of being a efficient, cohesive unit instead of the makeshift one that is there at the moment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,192 ✭✭✭Ken Shamrock

What do they say? No volume :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

yipeeeee wrote: »
    And henry said recently he left because he didn't like the direction Wenger was taking the team.

Henry has associated alof of his success to Wenger

They didn't handle it too well last year :)

We have not.[/QUOTE]
    We broufht in new players

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭yipeeeee

Henry has associated alof of his success to Wenger

Oh of course, but he still said that.

“It upset me to hear the fans boo him after all [Wenger] has done for the club, but sometimes people don't miss you until you're gone.”

Henry on Wenger

• Advertisement

Quazzie wrote: »

me, I always believe in Wenger.

Pires

We have not.
    We broufht in new players[/QUOTE]

We didn't fill the gaping hole at DM which caused Gibbs to try and intercept yesterday hence giving away the free kick for their first goal.
    We didn't buy the CB we needed and actually loaned out the cover we had at RB.

We broufht in new players

We didn't fill the gaping hole at DM which caused Gibbs to try and intercept yesterday hence giving away the free kick for their first goal.
    We didn't buy the CB we needed and actually loaned out the cover we had at RB.[/QUOTE]

We have Flamini and Arteta at DMF we have cover at defence but both or right back and CB are out

I would like a better CB and new young DMF but striker was out priority

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,192 ✭✭✭Ken Shamrock

Tayto end this now before my head explodes :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,665 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

Pires and Henry are hardly to going to come out and publicly disrespect him but it'd be silly to think that two intelligent footballers like them would be blind to the reality that the current Wenger is a shadow of the man they played under.

We didn't buy the CB we needed and actually loaned out the cover we had at RB.

We have Flamini and Arteta at DMF we have cover at defence but both or right back and CB are out[/QUOTE]

Flamini and Arteta are far too slow now.
    Our cover in defence is totally inadequate as is very obvious.

I would like a better CB and new young DMF but striker was out priority

We would not have bought Welbeck if Giroud was not injured.

We have Flamini and Arteta at DMF we have cover at defence but both or right back and CB are out

Our cover in defence is totally inadequate as is very obvious.[/QUOTE]

Top quality Defemders don't want to sit on the bench either - it's a balancing act

• Advertisement

We would not have bought Welbeck if Giroud was not injured.

We bought Sanchez

Tayto end this now before my head explodes :pac:

What do you mean by that?

Our cover in defence is totally inadequate as is very obvious.

Top quality Defemders don't want to sit on the bench either - it's a balancing act[/QUOTE]

The way we're going we might not attract them either.

Top quality Defemders don't want to sit on the bench either - it's a balancing act

The way we're going we might not attract them either.[/QUOTE]

I made that point earlier - more money at Chelsea and they are looking for CB cover

Anyway we are going round in circles some want Wenger to stay others want him to leave, the sides are entrenched.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,984 ✭✭✭Soups123

Anyway we are going round in circles some want Wenger to stay others want him to leave, the sides are entrenched.

Thats not the circle, you have an excuse for every attempt to criticise Arsene, blind faith and one line responses to back it up.

Others who share a close enough view to you but with some reservations have gave full on responses to why they are still on Wengers side. The pro's and cons from the fan base here are heavily against Arsene.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Err not really as I said at the start of the season I was in the so-called Pro-Wenger camp but given the teams performances in recent times I am now veering towards the "it is time for a change" camp.

Soups123 wrote: »
    Thats not the circle, you have an excuse for every attempt to criticise Arsene, blind faith and one line responses to back it up.

Others who share a close enough view to you but with some reservations have gave full on responses to why they are still on Wengers side. The pro's and cons from the fan base here are heavily against Arsene.

I defend my position be it quotes references or responses I didn't see tomes being used in the anti Wenger side

gandalf wrote: »
    Err not really as I said at the start of the season I was in the so-called Pro-Wenger camp but given the teams performances in recent times I am now veering towards the "it is time for a change" camp.

The ones in the thread

Where was the blind faith? The only blind faith I saw was the naive belief we'd win the league

gandalf wrote: »

I was exactly the same, after the FA cup and talk of moving on I was firmly in the bracket of he deserves a chance, up to July 31st I was very excited the man himself acknowledge the short comings in the squad in interviews and said we were active and would add. Then he failed to do it.

Beyond that its hard to see how much of that incompetence is again the issue or how much of it is down to injury, tactics & form.

• Advertisement

I was exactly the same, after the FA cup and talk of moving on I was firmly in the bracket of he deserves a chance, up to July 31st I was very excited the man himself acknowledge the short comings in the squad in interviews and said we were active and would add. Then he failed to do it.

Beyond that its hard to see how much of that incompetence is again the issue or how much of it is down to injury, tactics & form.

He brought in Sanchez the EPL player of the month for October

Where was the blind faith? The only blind faith I saw was the naive belief we'd win the league

You are the only one who has seen this naive belief. Nobody has said we should win the league all have said as a club we should be aiming to.

I still believe we are better with Wenger than without him

He brought in Sanchez the EPL player of the month for October

What has that got to do with anything that I said? I said at July 31st we looked good (Sanchez was here then)

Wenger said the areas of concern where in defense and they would be addressed and then he didnt. It really isnt that hard to follow

You are the only one who has seen this naive belief. Nobody has said we should win the league all have said as a club we should be aiming to.

Win the league ???
    We haven't beaten a team outside the bottom six this season yet.

What does that mean, finish second?

Arsenal were not realistically going to win the league, it was Chelsea or City and I saud Chelsea

What would it take to change your mind?

What has that got to do with anything that I said? I said at July 31st we looked good (Sanchez was here then)

Wenger said the areas of concern where in defense and they would be addressed and then he didnt. It really isnt that hard to follow

He signed 2 defenders as I recall

He signed 2 defenders as I recall
    And got rid of 3.

What would it take to change your mind?

About winning the league? A cohesive team with the quality and depth Chelsea have

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement