Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2014/15

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,984 ✭✭✭Soups123

efb wrote: »
    What does that mean, finish second?

Arsenal were not realistically going to win the league, it was Chelsea or City and I saud Chelsea

If we had gave it a go and challenged then yes this season 2nd would be very acceptable

He signed 2 defenders as I recall

We lost 4

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

Soups123 wrote: »
    If we had gave it a go and challenged then yes this season 2nd would be very acceptable

So you reckon we are better than City???

I believe we have the revenue to compete with City and Chelsea, I believe we are solid CB and DM away from competing. I believe we easily have the resources lets say to sign a Hummels and Kedhira.

With the right manager

About winning the league? A cohesive team with the quality and depth Chelsea have
    About Wenger being the one and only. Or is it a completely lost cause for the next 10 years? What about when United inevitably get back up challenging, impossible to ever challenge them too?

I pointed out that we hadn't strengthened out defence overall and very few agreed with me, funny how it took some results for people to realise it. Are we still saying Chambers is an upgrade on both Jenkinson and Vermaelen? :pac: Because I really haven't seen much from him to justify the pricetag.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭byrneg28

544943_10152838315809914_475325322338687553_n.jpg?oh=13a08a8bf92de10ddacb868c08cbb017&oe=54DA97D5&__gda__=1428072860_9ceaac03e820c66a50ed38cc80b8e5a0

PP posted this yesterday, Dortmund yesterday when they were bottom of the league.

As much as I'm frustrated by everything that's going on, I'm getting behind my team, the manager and the players. They need our support not a backlash.

I believe we have the revenue to compete with City and Chelsea, I believe we are solid CB and DM away from competing. I believe we easily have the resources lets say to sign a Hummels and Kedhira.

With the right manager

We have the revenue to compete with Chelsea and city??? What is that based on?

About Wenger being the one and only. Or is it a completely lost cause for the next 10 years? What about when United inevitably get back up challenging, impossible to ever challenge them too?

He is not the one and only but unless there is a concrete plan in place Wenger is our best option for now

• Advertisement

Numbers and stuff?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭symbolic

gandalf wrote: »
    Err not really as I said at the start of the season I was in the so-called Pro-Wenger camp but given the teams performances in recent times I am now veering towards the "it is time for a change" camp.

So in two months you have gone from wanting Wenger to stay and manage Arsenal to wanting him gone? Maybe I'm picking you up wrong.

byrneg28 wrote: »
    544943_10152838315809914_475325322338687553_n.jpg?oh=13a08a8bf92de10ddacb868c08cbb017&oe=54DA97D5&__gda__=1428072860_9ceaac03e820c66a50ed38cc80b8e5a0

PP posted this yesterday, Dortmund yesterday when they were bottom of the league.

As much as I'm frustrated by everything that's going on, I'm getting behind my team, the manager and the players. They need our support not a backlash.

German fans have to be admired

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

He brought in Sanchez the EPL player of the month for October

Yes and that was why I was optimistic coming into the season but you even concede that he made a mistake in not getting adequate cover at CB, an error that has been compounded by the injuries we suffered and also in not bringing in a DMF to replace the aging Arteta.

Both those short comings have come back and bit us in the ass. Couple that with an inability to read and change the game as it is being played and making quite frankly weird substitutions when better options have been available on the bench. Just look at Sanogo being brought on yesterday instead of Pod?

Whatever hope that existing that we were turning a new page have been well and truly dashed at this stage.

Numbers and stuff?

From where? Chelsea and City have considerable larger war chests than Arsenal.

What's to stop them outbidding us for those players?

Yes and that was why I was optimistic coming into the season but you even concede that he made a mistake in not getting adequate cover at CB, an error that has been compounded by the injuries we suffered and also in not bringing in a DMF to replace the aging Arteta.

Both those short comings have come back and bit us in the ass. Couple that with an inability to read and change the game as it is being played and making quite frankly weird substitutions when better options have been available on the bench. Just look at Sanogo being brought on yesterday instead of Pod?

Whatever hope that existing that we were turning a new page have been well and truly dashed at this stage.

Pod wasn't very impressive in what I've seen this season, people were even questioning his match fitness

• Advertisement

From where? Chelsea and City have considerable larger war chests than Arsenal.

What's to stop them outbidding us for those players?
    What war chests? The owners can't pump money in any more and haven't been doing so for a couple of years ago. We at least match their revenues and unlike them we actually do have millions lying around that can be invested.

What war chests? The owners can't pump money in any more and haven't been doing so for a couple of years ago. We at least match their revenues and unlike them we actually do have millions lying around that can be invested.

They have much easier access to funding than we do, and both invested in the summer enhancing already impressive squads

• Registered Users Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭Pierce_1991

Can anyone explain to me how the Ticket Exchange works on the official site? I signed up as a Red member and the site seems to say there's tickets for the United game available on the TE and that its open to Red Members but when I select even 1 ticket it says there's not enough tickets to fill this order. I don't really understand it. They don't make it easy thats for sure, even signing up was awkward enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,665 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

Why are Southampton second in the league even though we have better players than them? Might it be because they have a tactically astute manager who knows how to set up his team to win games and knows how to defend a lead and see out a game? They went to Swansea and won 1-0. Do you think he allowed their full backs to bomb up the pitch with 15 minutes to go? Or their DM to be where Flamini was before the break that led to the equaliser? I'd like you to explain why you're happy with a manager that has failed to address the weaknesses in the squad and is making basic mistakes in nearly every game while seemingly oblivious to what is going wrong and how to fix it.

With the right manager

You use the word WE... But are willing to cast aside the guy who brought you to the situation you find yourself in.

Presumably Ozil and Sanchez, two topclass players have belief in him too.

I dunno, think you guys are just a bit upset with the recent games and are lashing out. Seems harsh though.

Sanchez plays well people say - great to see someone with some passion bla bla.

Someone doesn't play well - wenger not getting the best / motivating them.

• Advertisement

its based on nothing just my random thoughts, I'm beyond trying to discuss with you as alls you do is demand proof and support, yet you offer nothing

I'm done.

Why are Southampton second in the league even though we have better players than them? Might it be because they have a tactically astute manager who knows how to set up his team to win games and knows how to defend a lead and see out a game? They went to Swansea and won 1-0. Do you think he allowed their full backs to bomb up the pitch with 15 minutes to go? Or their DM to be where Flamini was before the break that led to the equaliser? I'd like you to explain why you're happy with a manager that has failed to address the weaknesses in the squad and is making basic mistakes in nearly every game while seemingly oblivious to what is going wrong and how to fix it.

Will they be second at the end of the season? The pacemaker rarely wins the race, Arsenal and Liverpool both led for long periods last season

its based on nothing just my random thoughts, I'm beyond trying to discuss with you as alls you do is demand proof and support, yet you offer nothing

I'm done.

Where didn't I offer my proof?

symbolic wrote: »
    You use the word WE... But are willing to cast aside the guy who brought you to the situation you find yourself in.

Presumably Ozil and Sanchez, two topclass players have belief in him too.

I dunno, think you guys are just a bit upset with the recent games and are lashing out. Seems harsh though.

Sanchez plays well people say - great to see someone with some passion bla bla.

Someone doesn't play well - wenger not getting the best / motivating them.

TBH not sure what point you are making here? So we should stick with Arsene forever because he brought us here?

Can anyone explain to me how the Ticket Exchange works on the official site? I signed up as a Red member and the site seems to say there's tickets for the United game available on the TE and that its open to Red Members but when I select even 1 ticket it says there's not enough tickets to fill this order. I don't really understand it. They don't make it easy thats for sure, even signing up was awkward enough.

Someone just beating you to the seat you chose. I've always eventually got one on it. Try a few refreshes each evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭Pierce_1991

Someone just beating you to the seat you chose. I've always eventually got one on it. Try a few refreshes each evening.

Will do cheers!

TBH not sure what point you are making here? So we should stick with Arsene forever because he brought us here?

Well he won't live forever ☺

I'd like you to explain why you're happy with a manager that has failed to address the weaknesses in the squad and is making basic mistakes in nearly every game while seemingly oblivious to what is going wrong and how to fix it.
    Will they be second at the end of the season? The pacemaker rarely wins the race, Arsenal and Liverpool both led for long periods last season

You didn't address this part of my post.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

Genuinely where does Arsene rate as a manager in the world? Top 10 anymore?

Will do cheers!

In the past I have actually used an add on for Chrome to refresh it every 10 seconds and just had it opened on another monitor.. And when a seat caught my eye try my luck.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,428 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Raf32 wrote: »
    Genuinely where does Arsene rate as a manager in the world? Top 10 anymore?

Not a chance.
    Tactically clueless.

You didn't address this part of my post.

Making basic mistakes in nearly every game - yet still 6th impressive
    Even city have been making awful mistakes and Man United too
    You can try to address them as best you can but who has managed it 100% of the time??? If you find that manager lets get him

So in two months you have gone from wanting Wenger to stay and manage Arsenal to wanting him gone? Maybe I'm picking you up wrong.

I had my doubts last season especially after the team fell off the pace so badly after being in front so long in the league but we won some silverware and I was willing to give him a chance now that we had the "no trophy in eight years" monkey off our backs.

If we saw improvement week on week then I would be happy, if the team at least played to their potential but the recent results and performances have been very disappointing. I found the Anderlecht result last week to be soul destroying, to hold a three nil lead and capitulate it in the manner they did was unforgivable.

I don't see progress from last year and I don't see any real structure or plan in place with team. Anytime we come up against a real challenge we seem to fold which is worrying. From my perspective there is a lack of leadership both on the pitch and off it, there is no real tactical progress and most worryingly no visable desire with the exception of a couple of players.

The weakness in the squad is based on injuries as well as external factors - as ivesajd earlier I would like him to get a CB and DMF but I'm aware life isn't like FIFA 14 or Championship Manager, easier said than done

The weakness in the squad is based on injuries as well as external factors - as ivesajd earlier I would like him to get a CB and DMF but I'm aware life isn't like FIFA 14 or Championship Manager, easier said than done

There were plenty available in the summer.

There were plenty available in the summer.

You worked closly in the transfer market??? Or just listened to SSN, red tops and Twitter gossip?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,940 ✭✭✭omega man

byrneg28 wrote: »

In fairness they won back to back league titles in seasons 2011, 2012 so recent success.

Season tickets range from around 200 to 800 euro with big discounts for kids and disabled too. Basically more accessible to all fans and this equates to a better atmosphere etc etc.

You worked closly in the transfer market??? Or just listened to SSN, red tops and Twitter gossip?

No I flew out and interviewed each of them personally :rolleyes:

No I flew out and interviewed each of them personally :rolleyes:

So you can't say who was available to Arsenal then

• Advertisement

Every team has problems with injury.

The issue with the lack of CB cover was highlighted and discussed ad nauseam before the close of the transfer window, everyone highlighted it as a potential banana skin and low and behold it has became one. There was plenty of time to line up some potentials and sign one of them over the whole summer.

The DMF from my perspective was secondary to CB cover but it has now been shown to be somewhere that should have been dealt with as well and wasn't.

So you can't say who was available to Arsenal then

I forwarded the list to Wenger but he ate it in front of me.

I forwarded the list to Wenger but he ate it in front of me.

Are you sure it wasn't a packet of Tayto? I hear he's quit partial...

Are you sure it wasn't a packet of Tayto? I hear he's quit partial...

He'd probably struggle to open them.:D

He'd probably struggle to open them.:D

He would have people to do that - Smithirs Bould

Making basic mistakes in nearly every game - yet still 6th impressive

No, it's not impressive. We're already 12 points off the pace and it's only November
    Even city have been making awful mistakes and Man United too

That's nothing got to do with Arsenal
    You can try to address them as best you can but who has managed it 100% of the time??? If you find that manager lets get him

But he's not addressing them, that's the point. The same mistakes have been made every season for years. We don't know how to hold on to a lead and we can't defend set pieces. For £7m a year, you'd expect a manager to be competent enough to address these basic elements of the game.

• Advertisement

most worryingly no visable desire with the exception of a couple of players.

Why do you think some people have the desire and others do not?

No, it's not impressive. We're already 12 points off the pace and it's only November

That's nothing got to do with Arsenal

But he's not addressing them, that's the point. The same mistakes have been made every season for years. We don't know how to hold on to a lead and we can't defend set pieces. For £7m a year, you'd expect a manager to be competent enough to address these basic elements of the game.

How did he do so well if he's that incompetent???

The international break couldn't have come at a better time

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭wonga77

This thread is hilarious :pac:

Come on Gosplan, I know you must be itching to post

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,402 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

The international break couldn't have come at a better time

Now I just need to take a break from reading this thread, it's giving me an ulcer, and I'm not even participating.

I'm calling it "the Intentional Break".

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement