Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2014/15

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,665 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

efb wrote: »
    How did he do so well if he's that incompetent???

Again, you're referring to the past. In the present, he is proving himself to be incompetent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

Actually cant wait for the Ireland game, time to put away the arsenal hat :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

Again, you're referring to the past. In the present, he is proving himself to be incompetent.

Are you only concerned with the immediate?

Özil with Merkel and the president of Germany

Are you only concerned with the immediate?

I'm concerned with the immediate and the future. Do you think that a manager who has been successful in the past should be kept on in a job for that reason alone when all the current evidence suggests he is no longer up to it?

I'm concerned with the immediate and the future. Do you think that a manager who has been successful in the past should be kept on in a job for that reason alone when all the current evidence suggests he is no longer up to it?

We are the current FA Cup holders we are doing well in our UCL group

If that's all you're happy with, then good for you. However, some of us want to be challenging for domestic and European titles.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭Pierce_1991

Doing well in the UCL group? We're going to finish second behind a team thats bottom of the German league. We're only second because there's two really poor teams propping up the group. We're doing mediocre on all fronts right now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

Is it safe to come out yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,984 ✭✭✭Soups123

Doing well in the UCL group? We're going to finish second behind a team thats bottom of the German league. We're only second because there's two really poor teams propping up the group. We're doing mediocre on all fronts right now.

No we are doing great, we have no money, a top class manager and sure City, Utd and the likes are not perfect too.

• Advertisement

If that's all you're happy with, then good for you. However, some of us want to be challenging for domestic and European titles.

We need huge financial investment for that

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭Paj

it's good to see that there's only one fan on the boards with limited ambition

Is it safe to come out yet?

It depends what side are you on? lol

Its like the war of independence

Paj wrote: »
    it's good to see that there's only one fan on the boards with limited ambition

I'm used to arsenal not always winning trophies

• Registered Users Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭Pierce_1991

I'm used to arsenal not always winning trophies

That doesn't mean you should just accept it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,752 ✭✭✭Mr Blobby

Soups123 wrote: »
    It depends what side are you on? lol

Its like the war of independence

That doesn't mean you should just accept it!

Accept the things you cannot change

Özil with Merkel and the president of Germany

Is it me or does Ozil look broader? maybe finally toughening up for the league.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,940 ✭✭✭omega man

Raf32 wrote: »
    Actually cant wait for the Ireland game, time to put away the arsenal hat :pac:

Me too! Heading over so should be good craic.

• Advertisement

omega man wrote: »
    Me too! Heading over so should be good craic.

What a game to head to. Gonna have to settle for the home one id say!

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭Ajfunky

I think what the "Optimistic" posters are missing here is, when did we become the team to be ok with Mid table positions and "doing alright" in other competitions?

The Arsenal Fans here are bringing up the points they would like to see their team take into account whilst pushing for a serious title challenge. By and large, none of these issues have changed within the last 2-3 years.

Get a World class striker - Sanchez was a great addition, Im willing to give the manager this one considering the performances but we all know this wasn't the exact type of player we were missing.
    Get backup for Sagna - We got a great replacement for Sagna when he decided to leave in Debuchy, but we did not get any backup and even let another backup go in Jenkinson. The manager clearly does not have the faith in Bellerin or we would see him out on the pitch the last few weeks where there has been a gaping RB hole. Again this has been an issue for a few years now.
    Get a backup CB - This one has been an issue for us for years now, even with Vermaelen in the team we were light on defenders. If you cant get the best in the world, you get whoever you can. You dont just hope for the best. Not when you have our previous injury lists to consider.
    Get a Defensive Mid - Now although I believe a DM isn't always a necessary purchase for a team who can just get their defensive act together, this is one had been mentioned by the manager both last year and this year in passing, why has our Attacking philosophy stayed the same? If we are going to try to fill the gap with our current personnel, then FILL THE ****ING GAP WITH OUR CURRENT PERSONNEL. These images of five or six in front of the ball when we are winning a game are embarrassing.

Im seeing a post back a few pages saying at least we are doing better than Everton and spurs? What depths have we sunk too!
    Our stadium debts are done, that is no longer an issue as was shown with our transfers this year.
    Posters have to remember, it is completely okay to not be satisfied with second best, let alone 3rd 4th and 5th best. We are Arsenal, I want us to be top of everything all of the time and excuses are just that - excuses.

This is a bad time for Arsenal FC, and I couldnt give a **** about the other teams failing as well. We can be upset with our **** performances, and the reason we can be down on certain players is because we have seen how good they can be.

Strive for better or we'll be left with the same.

Anyone think United are gonna badly do us?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,183 ✭✭✭UnknownSpecies

I think they will. They shouldn't but they will. They always seem to have an extra gear against us.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,333 ✭✭✭bad2dabone

Absolutely 100%.

Even if we were playing half decent we capitulate against them.

And they're ripe to be beaten, we're just too soft to do it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭wonga77

Not beating them last year when they were at their worst was a very low point for us. For some reason they have some edge on us, even with Fergie gone

• Advertisement

dorgasm wrote: »
    I think they will. They shouldn't but they will. They always seem to have an extra gear against us.
    bad2dabone wrote: »
    Absolutely 100%.

If we lost that and the one against Dortmund a few days after, where do we go from there? Season would be over for me if it isnt already.

Absolutely 100%.

Just did a quick check because I could barely remember the last time we beat them. We've only won 1 in the last 14 games against them. Wow.

15-20 million to sack him now. Should have only been offered a rolling contract

Season wouldn't be over but some of our players and particularly the manager need to show a reaction to the recent dross.
    I think we'll lose to dortmund and united. But a win over united would mean a lot.

He's a manager, not a mobile phone plan ha! Don't think I've ever seen a rolling contract like that besides when a manager is fired midway through a season.

• Advertisement

Season wouldn't be over but some of our players and particularly the manager need to show a reaction to the recent dross.
    I think we'll lose to dortmund and united. But a win over united would mean a lot.

Even just for some long overdue bragging rights over a few friends!

He's a manager, not a mobile phone plan ha! Don't think I've ever seen a rolling contract like that besides when a manager is fired midway through a season.

He had Bergkamp on one, its not unheard of.

He's earned the right to resign. I'd hate to see him sacked.

Don't get me wrong I want a change but wenger is a hero of mine. It pains me to see him doing such a poor job at the moment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,389 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

United could barely break down Palace with 72% possession, now if there's that much against Arsenal I'd be quite confident but I can't see it happening. I think Fellaini could be key, if he plays well he could control the centre if not Arsenal will just play it around the United midfield.

You had to reduce spending significantly to build your stadium and still remained relatively competitive. I'm not an Arsenal fan but I think I'd be satisfied with that. It took City a couple of years to get up to scratch in the league even with Aguero, Silva and Kompany so I think patience will be rewarded when you can start a trio of Sanchez, Ozil and Walcott behind Welbeck or Giroud. Or even Walcott up front.

I don't think everyone fully knows how to play off Sanchez yet. It's very congested in the middle and too much trying to force it through there with Ramsey being very attacking too. United have already lost to Swansea in similar circumstances so it's not an anomaly either.

Don't get me wrong I want a change but wenger is a hero of mine. It pains me to see him doing such a poor job at the moment.

Likewise but I cant see him resigning. Cant see him being sacked either. All we can do is hope he changes I suppose.

With the way the club is ran he'd have to sack himself

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,118 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

I would like a better CB and new young DMF but striker was out priority

How can you honestly say that a CB wasn't a priority when we have Monreal playing at cb?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,216 ✭✭✭Looper007

It's just so disheartening right now isn't it. Only November and the same old problems have arisen, our manager's stubbornness and happiness at accepting 4th (that's if we get it) is our club's downfall once again. The thing I find sickening is we're going to places like Anderlecht and Swansea and we are frightened of them. Our fan's are fighting between themselves. Our players don't seem bothered (aside from Sanchez and Ox). This is the hardest time as a fan for a long long time.

Already some of you guys are writing us off agaisn't a struggling Utd team shows you how far we're falling.

With the way the club is ran he'd have to sack himself

Agreed it's dysfunctional that it's at this stage. Sure he was apparently on the panel to pick gazidis.
    Who here has gotten on a panel to pick your boss? Mad

If our players step up (that's if they do) we'll do them. We have a stronger midfield and Sanchez. Plus we're at home. Utd are struggling too. So lets stop making them out to be world beaters.

• Advertisement

Agreed it's dysfunctional that it's at this stage. Sure he was apparently on the panel to pick gazidis.
    Who here has gotten on a panel to pick your boss? Mad

That's why the Anti- Wenger side need to sit down and think this over. Wenger has a lot of power at the club, unless our fan's storm the stadium and take the whole club over :pac:. Wenger isn't going anywhere, he knows it and he doesn't care if any of the fan's like it or not.

Looper007 wrote: »
    If our players step up (that's if they do) we'll do them. We have a stronger midfield and Sanchez. Plus we're at home. Utd are struggling too. So lets stop making them out to be world beaters.

They aren't world beaters. Neither are Swansea or Anderlecht.

They aren't world beaters. Neither are Swansea or Anderlecht.

Swansea beat Utd too. So that put Utd with us so doesn't it then

That's why the Anti- Wenger side need to sit down and think this over. Wenger has a lot of power at the club, unless our fan's storm the stadium and take the whole club over :pac:. Wenger isn't going anywhere, he knows it and he doesn't care if any of the fan's like it or not.

Don't under estimate fan power, it won't come easy but if this ****e keeps up you can be sure the tension and ill feeling within the Emirates will force something to happen be it Wenger to go or enough pressure to force him into the market properly and a chance something might click

Swansea beat Utd too. So that put Utd with us so doesn't it then

United weren't much better off last season and we still couldn't beat them. Already mentioned it, we've only 1 win against them in our last 14. It seems like their form goes out the window when we play them.

It's just so disheartening right now isn't it. Only November and the same old problems have arisen, our manager's stubbornness and happiness at accepting 4th (that's if we get it) is our club's downfall once again. The thing I find sickening is we're going to places like Anderlecht and Swansea and we are frightened of them. Our fan's are fighting between themselves. Our players don't seem bothered (aside from Sanchez and Ox). This is the hardest time as a fan for a long long time.

Already some of you guys are writing us off agaisn't a struggling Utd team shows you how far we're falling.

Not writing us off but expecting the worst. As dorgasm said, 1 win in 14 against them.

Don't under estimate fan power, it won't come easy but if this ****e keeps up you can be sure the tension and ill feeling within the Emirates will force something to happen be it Wenger to go or enough pressure to force him into the market properly and a chance something might click

I think it's going to take more then signings really this time, he's been outplayed by top coaches for the last few years. I just don't like the fact Wenger is happy to accept 4th cause of his stubbornness during the summer to spend on the squads problems. He's got so much power he don't give a flying crap in what we think.

omega man wrote: »
    Not writing us off but expecting the worst. As dorgasm said, 1 win in 14 against them.

Well stats are there to be broken Omega.

Well stats are there to be broken Omega.

I will love it if we beat them, love it! ;-)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭boodiebhoy

I think he is losing the right to resign. Don't get me wrong, I am full of admiration for what he has done. I remember supporting Arsenal under Don Howe ffs. Wenger transformed the club from top to bottom. He made us the team to watch but he is losing my support rapidly.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement