Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2014/15

Comments

Liam O wrote: »
    It's very congested in the middle and too much trying to force it through there with Ramsey being very attacking too.

Been like that for an awfully long time though. The "always have to walk it in" thing had a little bit of basis in reality. No reason to expect Wenger to change now.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,940 ✭✭✭omega man

I can only imagine that Steve Bould was an appointment to appease fans because surely he isn't being given full responsibility for defensive coaching. Is it that he just does drills on the training ground but wenger then makes all of the defensive tactical decisions? Seems an awful waste of such a highly regarded, experienced defender. Baffling.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭byrneg28

omega man wrote: »
    In fairness they won back to back league titles in seasons 2011, 2012 so recent success.

Season tickets range from around 200 to 800 euro with big discounts for kids and disabled too. Basically more accessible to all fans and this equates to a better atmosphere etc etc.

I'll take your season tickets range as a reason, but what has recent success got to do with anything?

Crystal Palace support their club to the dire end and that same club has never won a major domestic trophy (im not including division 2 and play-offs) yep no FA Cup, No Carling Cup, No League in their history and all I see here is moaning and negativity. why cant we just support the club? I went to the Emirates on Tuesday v Anderlecht and I heard the chant ' you only sing when you're winning' , well that's because it's true Arsenal fans do, and then get up and leave when it's 2-0 at half time and don't come back, that atmosphere really gets to me.

We're a club and supporters give support, recent success shouldn't alter that. We turn up and sing, support, encourage if we are 5-0 up or 5-0 down.

Wenger has built this club into one of the best models int he world and all yous can do is moan and scutter about it, I'm aware I'm going to get you all ganging up so be it..

When Wenger resigns I want a gold statue full of encrusted diamonds.. the man has worked so hard for this club and done so much so my sons/daughters can go see them continue to fight at the top levels, he wants to see out his project for 2 and a half more years, he's spent 9 years building and building with no resources, paying off a stadium for self-sustainability yadda yada you've heard it all before.. let him finish what he's done whether that means under-performing and getting 4th the next two years so be it, then a better tactician and manager could come in and bare the fruits of that labor... if you can't deal with it there's discounts on Chelsea and City jerseys in Sports Direct

I get it you're all impatient and sick of Wenger screwing things up, I understand. But we've had ten-twenty year droughts of trophies in the past. This is just the beginning, we won the FA Cup we're pushing on and building. I look at us as like Chelsea last year.. not quite there yet.

I'm gonna stick by my team, the manager and the players for the next while and add some perspective to this because I don't want a Brendan Rodgers at my club right now spending all the resources that have taken so long to attain.

You will realise this was all worth it and it will only taste sweeter.

Groundhog day seems to be a problem with Wenger and his Arsenal sides in recent years but it also seems to be an issue with the fans

Win - Happy Draw/Lose - Wenger Out

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,118 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

byrneg28 wrote: »
    I'll take your season tickets range as a reason, but what has recent success got to do with anything?

Crystal Palace support their club to the dire end and that same club has never won a major domestic trophy (im not including division 2 and play-offs) yep no FA Cup, No Carling Cup, No League in their history and all I see here is moaning and negativity. why cant we just support the club? I went to the Emirates on Tuesday v Anderlecht and I heard the chant ' you only sing when you're winning' , well that's because it's true Arsenal fans do, and then get up and leave when it's 2-0 at half time and don't come back, that atmosphere really gets to me.

We're a club and supporters give support, recent success shouldn't alter that. We turn up and sing, support, encourage if we are 5-0 up or 5-0 down.

Wenger has built this club into one of the best models int he world and all yous can do is moan and scutter about it, I'm aware I'm going to get you all ganging up so be it..

When Wenger resigns I want a gold statue full of encrusted diamonds.. the man has worked so hard for this club and done so much so my sons/daughters can go see them continue to fight at the top levels, he wants to see out his project for 2 and a half more years, he's spent 9 years building and building with no resources, paying off a stadium for self-sustainability yadda yada you've heard it all before..

I get it you're all impatient and sick of Wenger screwing things up, I understand. But we've had ten-twenty year droughts of trophies in the past. This is just the beginning, we won the FA Cup we're pushing on and building. I look at us as like Chelsea last year.. not quite there yet.

I'm gonna stick by my team, the manager and the players for the next while and add some perspective to this because I don't want a Brendan Rodgers at my club right now spending all the resources that have taken so long to attain.

You will realise this was all worth it and it will only taste sweeter.

Groundhog day seems to be a problem with Wenger and his Arsenal sides in recent years but it also seems to be an issue with the fans

Win - Happy Draw/Lose - Wenger Out

Explain how a manager with tactical know how can bring on Yaya Sanogo with 30 seconds left in the game and we are 2-1 down. Explain that to me and I might get behind Wenger.

He might do brilliant outside the stadium, but when the ball is tipped off at 3pm on a Saturday he is absolutely terrible.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭Bridge93

Wenger spent over 20m more (net) than Rodgers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭yipeeeee

Bridge93 wrote: »

Over what period?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭yipeeeee

Bridge93 wrote: »

Over what period?

Quazzie wrote: »
    Explain how a manager with tactical know how can bring on Yaya Sanogo with 30 seconds left in the game and we are 2-1 down. Explain that to me and I might get behind Wenger.

He might do brilliant outside the stadium, but when the ball is tipped off at 3pm on a Saturday he is absolutely terrible.

Okay.

Well there was nothing else going in added time but lofted balls and when the average height of the team is 5 ft 6'' why not bring on a man who's 6' 4 and win something in the air.

If Mourihno did it , he'd be labelled a genius.

It's pretty simple, if you think Sanogo was brought on with Wenger's intentions, to run rings around and dribble through the Swansea defense, you are pretty bonkers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Okay.

Well there was nothing else going in added time but lofted balls and when the average height of the team is 5 ft 6'' why not bring on a man who's 6' 4 and win something in the air.

It's pretty simple, if you think Sanogo was brought on with Wenger's intentions, to run rings around and dribble through the Swansea defense, you are pretty bonkers

Wenger often gets blasted for not having a plan B, when he tries one (however late) he gets slated for that as well

• Advertisement

Okay.

He has NEVER scored a competitive senior goal for the club, and you think we can rely on him as a last minute option.

And apparently I'm bonkers!! :rolleyes:

greendom wrote: »
    Wenger often gets blasted for not having a plan B, when he tries one (however late) he gets slated for that as well
    Yaya Sanogo is his Plan B.

Lord help us if that's the case.

The Wengerites are getting more nonsensical by the minute in this place.

Yaya Sanogo is his Plan B.

Lord help us if that's the case.

The Wengerites are getting more nonsensical by the minute in this place.

He has caused plenty of trouble for defenders in games where he has played, annoying defenders and giving space to others. It was a logical move imo but the WOBs just use it as another stick to beat Wenger with.

He has caused plenty of trouble for defenders in games where he has played, annoying defenders and giving space to others. It was a logical move imo but the WOBs just use it as another stick to beat Wenger with.
    So bringing on a player with 0 goals and 0 assists in the final minute of a game when we need to score to salvage a point seems logical to you?

So bringing on a player with 0 goals and 0 assists in the final minute of a game when we need to score to salvage a point seems logical to you?

His physical presence in the box has lead to goals against Liverpool, Everton and in the FA Cup final so yes

Wow. You're really not getting it are you? Just keep throwing the stats out.

Okay
    75% aerial duel success
    3 goal scoring chances created and converted v Liverpool, v Leicester and v Manchester City

His physical presence in the box has lead to goals against Liverpool, Everton and in the FA Cup final so yes
    Podolski was also on the bench and remained unused. He has actually come on recently, and actually scored goals. i know which one I'd prefer

Podolski was also on the bench and remained unused. He has actually come on recently, and actually scored goals. i know which one I'd prefer

Yes he has come on 6 times this season and scored one goal from a combined total of 1 yard.

Sanogo hasn't come on well because he's had a back injury?

It's a roll of the dice

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

A goal - not plural and he was pants in the league cup.

He'd probably start taking selfies anyway

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,192 ✭✭✭Ken Shamrock

It's one thing defending Wenger, but trying to defend Yaya Sanogo is just pure insane.

A lot of what Bryneg28 said is true and it makes sense but we DO support our club our players and our manager, there just comes a time when they are not suited anymore, when the well of knowledge has run dry, when instead of Henry it's Sanogo when instead of Pires it's Gervinho, when instead of setting out to dominate a game we're set up to be taken advantage of.

Wenger has always got the benefit of the doubt because of his past success but I'm sorry that's not good enough anymore, We all appreciate and admire Wenger for everything he has done but IT IS ok for some of us to want change, supporting your club doesn't mean sitting back and being happy about watever the fcuk is put in front of you, just because i support my club doesn't mean i have to be a yes man and pretend Sanogo is going to be a beast and pretend Wenger is a tactical genius.

I want what's best for my club and I no longer think that Wenger is that, and that should be ok. Insinuating that people aren't supporting their club because they want the blaringly obvious flaws fixed is just crazy. A new manager might not work out yes we might get a gob****e or we might get a genius but it's a risk we should be willing to take to move forward because no matter how long we wait we don't seem to be doing that under Wenger.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭symbolic

I want what's best for my club and I no longer think that Wenger is that, and that should be ok. Insinuating that people aren't supporting their club because they want the blaringly obvious flaws fixed is just crazy. A new manager might not work out yes we might get a gob****e or we might get a genius but it's a risk we should be willing to take to move forward because no matter how long we wait we don't seem to be doing that under Wenger.

But for people on boards there is no tangible risk is there? People with the money invested in the club and people who earn a living from the club have obviously not yet decided that it's worth the risk just yet. Maybe they will soon and we will see Wenger leave, and a new manager come in. Think it would be best for this thread anyway Haha ☺

Season ticket holders could walk in numbers and protest etc. But if your firing up a stream of a Saturday you're not even on the radar.

symbolic wrote: »
    But for people on boards there is no tangible risk is there? People with the money invested in the club and people who earn a living from the club have obviously not yet decided that it's worth the risk just yet. Maybe they will soon and we will see Wenger leave, and a new manager come in. Think it would be best for this thread anyway Haha ☺

Season ticket holders could walk in numbers and protest etc. But if your firing up a stream of a Saturday you're not even on the radar.

Obviously not? That or Wenger is just untouchable. Holding a season ticket or not it makes no odds, i pay for sky sports to watch them and if they aren't on the €150pm UPC package then i stream it, i buy jerseys go over to matches once or twice a year it makes no odds I'm still as much of a fan as any season ticket holder.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,205 ✭✭✭Gringo180

At the time of the game when Sanogo came on we were launching balls into the box. Why on earth would you bring on Podolski instead of a bustling 6ft 4in centre forward? I don't rate Sanogo but its crazy to slate the boss over this decision. I also seem to recall after the Anderlecht game fans on here slating Wenger for bringing on Podolski, so lets be fair, he is damned if he does and damned if he doesnt.

Gringo180 wrote: »
    At the time of the game when Sanogo came on we were launching balls into the box. Why on earth would you bring on Podolski instead of a bustling 6ft 4in centre forward? I don't rate Sanogo but its crazy to slate the boss over this decision. I also seem to recall after the Anderlecht game fans on here slating Wenger for bringing on Podolski, so lets be fair, he is damned if he does and damned if he doesnt.

Well both Podolski and Sanogo are there because of him, our only alternatives to Danny Welbeck right now and that is Wengers own damnation.

Obviously not? That or Wenger is just untouchable. Holding a season ticket or not it makes no odds, i pay for sky sports to watch them and if they aren't on the €150pm UPC package then i stream it, i buy jerseys go over to matches once or twice a year it makes no odds I'm still as much of a fan as any season ticket holder.

I'm not saying you are not as much a fan of Arsenal football club at all. Didn't mean it like that. Apologies if it came across that way.

I just reckon it's easier sit here and say Wenger needs to go. The people who need to make the decision won't find it that easy I'd imagine. Arsenal is a massive business and there is a lot at stake.

Well both Podolski and Sanogo are there because of him, our only alternatives to Danny Welbeck right now and that is Wengers own damnation.

I agree with that. But I don't agree with him been slated for bringing on the best possible option available to him to get a goal. I would be a lot more critical of him having a gun ho approach when we are leading games, you can criticise our defence all you like, you could have Maldini, Baresi and Matthaus at the back but when you have 6 or 7 players ahead of the ball with 2 or 3 sitting back you will always concede goals it is complete and utter madness.

And Giroud who is currently injured

efb wrote: »

Campbell also, who should be at least on the bench instead of Podolski imo.

Yes hence why i said right now...

• Advertisement

Yes hence why i said right now...

How many strikers do you want???

How many strikers do you want???

It's not the quantity it's the quality...Do you even pay attention?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,665 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

Gringo180 wrote: »
    you could have Maldini, Baresi and Matthaus at the back but when you have 6 or 7 players ahead of the ball with 2 or 3 sitting back you will always concede goals it is complete and utter madness.

All great defenders but also all were leaders, not a chance they would have allowed 6 or 7 of the team to be in that position when they were winning. We seem to have nobody on the pitch with the intelligence and wherewithal to see what's going wrong and how to prevent it. They just stand around looking at each other like idiots.

I think we need to go back to basics, I also would like to see a big shake up in the starting XI. I think the likes of Cazorla, Ramsey, Mertesacker know that there positions are under no threat and have become far too complacent, why dont we give young Coquelin a shot in the DMF role too, he surely couldn't be any worse than Flamini.

Not many first class forwards will sit on the bench

Less of the passive aggressive stuff btw

• Advertisement

Ah stop bickering guys ☺you're on the same team

All great defenders but also all were leaders, not a chance they would have allowed 6 or 7 of the team to be in that position when they were winning. We seem to have nobody on the pitch with the intelligence and wherewithal to see what's going wrong and how to prevent it. They just stand around looking at each other like idiots.

Great point and I have said as much myself many times before. Take Gibbs for instance, his positioning at times does have me wanting to pull the tv off the wall, he is clueless.

Flamini does a job I would have others in the firing line before him. Big Mert firstly

You'd be very surprised if you looked around, also i was hoping for a world class starter tbh because we don't have one.

You'd be very surprised if you looked around, also i was hoping for a world class starter tbh because we don't have one.

Sanchez and Giroud are. Podolski has disappointed. Welbeck is doing fine.

• Advertisement

Look around where? Who would you get?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,665 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

Flamini does a job I would have others in the firing line before him. Big Mert firstly

He was caught high up the pitch when we lost possession before the first goal so no he doesn't do a job. He's all arm waving and shouting but underneath it all there's no substance.

Sanchez and Giroud are. Podolski has disappointed. Welbeck is doing fine.

If Sanchez was a striker then yes he would be, Giroud,Welbeck,Podolski...no world class strikers there.

He was caught high up the pitch when we lost possession before the first goal so no he doesn't do a job. He's all arm waving and shouting but underneath it all there's no substance.

I've seen him in games where his has been very effective in nullifying opposition attacks

If Sanchez was a striker then yes he would be, Giroud,Welbeck,Podolski...no world class strikers there.

He's a forward 10, only one player with him

• Registered Users Posts: 1,533 ✭✭✭Colonialboy

sure they will ....

Nicolas Bendtner .. did a pretty good job keeping the bench warm all 55k a week and he even managed to get a contract for long term bench warming.

Of course the only person on the planet who thought he was first class was Wenger. :D

Giroud is an excellent striker. How many goals he get last season up all on his own

sure they will ....

Nicolas Bendtner .. did a pretty good job keeping the bench warm all 55k a week and he even managed to get a contract for long term bench warming.

Of course the only person on the planet who thought he was first class was Wenger. :D

Bendter and his agent

He also can play as a striker

You fooled me i could have sworn he's been playing on the wings all year. Giroud is a good striker, he got a decent tally last year, and up on his own? yes that's generally what a striker is nowadays. With 4-3-3 taking over from 4-4-2 but he's not world class.

Look we can go back and fourth around in circles up and down whatever the fcuk you like until the cows come home but i don't even need to do the talking the results are doing that for me.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement