Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2014/15

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,428 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

byrneg28 wrote: »
    I'll take your season tickets range as a reason, but what has recent success got to do with anything?

Crystal Palace support their club to the dire end and that same club has never won a major domestic trophy (im not including division 2 and play-offs) yep no FA Cup, No Carling Cup, No League in their history and all I see here is moaning and negativity. why cant we just support the club? I went to the Emirates on Tuesday v Anderlecht and I heard the chant ' you only sing when you're winning' , well that's because it's true Arsenal fans do, and then get up and leave when it's 2-0 at half time and don't come back, that atmosphere really gets to me.

We're a club and supporters give support, recent success shouldn't alter that. We turn up and sing, support, encourage if we are 5-0 up or 5-0 down.

Wenger has built this club into one of the best models int he world and all yous can do is moan and scutter about it, I'm aware I'm going to get you all ganging up so be it..

When Wenger resigns I want a gold statue full of encrusted diamonds.. the man has worked so hard for this club and done so much so my sons/daughters can go see them continue to fight at the top levels, he wants to see out his project for 2 and a half more years, he's spent 9 years building and building with no resources, paying off a stadium for self-sustainability yadda yada you've heard it all before.. let him finish what he's done whether that means under-performing and getting 4th the next two years so be it, then a better tactician and manager could come in and bare the fruits of that labor... if you can't deal with it there's discounts on Chelsea and City jerseys in Sports Direct

I get it you're all impatient and sick of Wenger screwing things up, I understand. But we've had ten-twenty year droughts of trophies in the past. This is just the beginning, we won the FA Cup we're pushing on and building. I look at us as like Chelsea last year.. not quite there yet.

I'm gonna stick by my team, the manager and the players for the next while and add some perspective to this because I don't want a Brendan Rodgers at my club right now spending all the resources that have taken so long to attain.

You will realise this was all worth it and it will only taste sweeter.

Groundhog day seems to be a problem with Wenger and his Arsenal sides in recent years but it also seems to be an issue with the fans

Win - Happy Draw/Lose - Wenger Out

I would have thought exactly the same a few years ago.
    What put me off Wenger was the reluctance to fill obvious gaps, lack of ambition, lack of tactical nous and his (seemingly) desire to run the entire club his way.
    My suggestion is to let him go upstairs and allow another ambitious and tactically aware manager to come in and run the team.
    I'm thankful for what Wenger has done in his early years but he's losing the respect of the fans now and it would be a pity for him to have to be replaced because of recent failures. I'm not happy with 4th every year, it's not a trophy.

greendom wrote: »
    Wenger often gets blasted for not having a plan B, when he tries one (however late) he gets slated for that as well

Pretty poor plan B in fairness.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,984 ✭✭✭Soups123

I'll take your season tickets range as a reason, but what has recent success got to do with anything?

Crystal Palace support their club to the dire end and that same club has never won a major domestic trophy (im not including division 2 and play-offs) yep no FA Cup, No Carling Cup, No League in their history and all I see here is moaning and negativity. why cant we just support the club? I went to the Emirates on Tuesday v Anderlecht and I heard the chant ' you only sing when you're winning' , well that's because it's true Arsenal fans do, and then get up and leave when it's 2-0 at half time and don't come back, that atmosphere really gets to me.

We're a club and supporters give support, recent success shouldn't alter that. We turn up and sing, support, encourage if we are 5-0 up or 5-0 down.

Wenger has built this club into one of the best models int he world and all yous can do is moan and scutter about it, I'm aware I'm going to get you all ganging up so be it..

When Wenger resigns I want a gold statue full of encrusted diamonds.. the man has worked so hard for this club and done so much so my sons/daughters can go see them continue to fight at the top levels, he wants to see out his project for 2 and a half more years, he's spent 9 years building and building with no resources, paying off a stadium for self-sustainability yadda yada you've heard it all before.. let him finish what he's done whether that means under-performing and getting 4th the next two years so be it, then a better tactician and manager could come in and bare the fruits of that labor... if you can't deal with it there's discounts on Chelsea and City jerseys in Sports Direct

I get it you're all impatient and sick of Wenger screwing things up, I understand. But we've had ten-twenty year droughts of trophies in the past. This is just the beginning, we won the FA Cup we're pushing on and building. I look at us as like Chelsea last year.. not quite there yet.

I'm gonna stick by my team, the manager and the players for the next while and add some perspective to this because I don't want a Brendan Rodgers at my club right now spending all the resources that have taken so long to attain.

You will realise this was all worth it and it will only taste sweeter.

Groundhog day seems to be a problem with Wenger and his Arsenal sides in recent years but it also seems to be an issue with the fans

Win - Happy Draw/Lose - Wenger Out

The first bolded part is just silly, comparing Crystal Palace, do you know how many managers they have hounded out over the years Arsene has been here. The look at there constraints and build expecations from there and when thats not achieved be it relagation, failure to win promotion they have done exactly what Arsenal fans are doing now and voiced there displeasure. Arsenal fans have been the most patient with there club and manager than any others top team in Europe.

The second part in bold nobody is doubting, everyone has acknowledged what he has done for the club in the past 10 years off the field and the level of performance he has maintained on it, and he should get his chance to show he still has it, thats what last year and this season are all about. Should we sit an accept two more years of medocrity if thats what it is to be because we owe him? Hell no he should be judged and dealt with based on results.

I also hate the high horse brigade of I want me club to be self sufficient and frown on managers like Jose, Pellegrini & Rogers for having the audacity to spend some cash, 2 of the 3 have deliver success on the back of it and even with the restraints we had Wenger should have delivered more trophies over the 10 years if only another FA/League Cup or two with the squad he had.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭wonga77

I dont think bringing on Sanogo was such a bad idea the last day, what annoyed me was the timing of it, at least give him ten minutes to create some sort of impact

wonga77 wrote: »
    I dont think bringing on Sanogo was such a bad idea the last day, what annoyed me was the timing of it, at least give him ten minutes to create some sort of impact

I agree I can see why he did it, lumping it in and atleast it showed a change in approach but the issue I have is he sat like a rabit in front of headlights for this and the Anderlecht game when the tide turned and did nothing until it was too late.

His biggest flaw on Saturday wasnt the subs though for me it was the allowance to sit and watch Chambers get roasted and do absolutely nothing to support him

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,192 ✭✭✭Ken Shamrock

Soups123 wrote: »
    I agree I can see why he did it, lumping it in and atleast it showed a change in approach but the issue I have is he sat like a rabit in front of headlights for this and the Anderlecht game when the tide turned and did nothing until it was too late.

His biggest flaw on Saturday wasnt the subs though for me it was the allowance to sit and watch Chambers get roasted and do absolutely nothing to support him

The worst part of that is what it will do to his confidence(chambers) no doubt he'll see fans giving him sh1t over that and the players and manager when they review the game.

I remember when we were tight as fcuk, as in if a player is getting roasted he'll have an older guy over his shoulder, a player gets hit with a tackle or thrash talked or some sh1t and up pops vieria,gilberto,campbell,keown whoever it was they were protecting eachother like a team.

Now it's like a bunch of individuals who are scared of conflict and will act like robots for Wenger rather than use some initiative.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,500 ✭✭✭Drexel

This is the biggest problem I have with Wenger. It was only a matter of time before one of the crosses sent in went to a Swansea player. What ever about not getting defensive cover, but to sit and let Chambers get skinned time and time again is criminal. Felt a bit sorry for Chambers tbh. He should have been either switched with bellrin who is quicker or the Ox should have been told to get back more for cover. Neither of them things happened and this worries me a lot

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

wonga77 wrote: »

This is true, I imagine Wenger was hoping the current system could conjure up another late goal. They've scored plenty this season,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

Surely Ox is at fault more then Wenger?

• Advertisement

I thought Ox was told?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,665 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

efb wrote: »

So you blame the player instead of the manager? If that's the case, what's the point in having a manager at all?

Maybe that's why you like Wenger so much, because you don't understand what his job is and where he should be taking responsibility?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,500 ✭✭✭Drexel

Told or not, Ox should have noticed the trouble Chambers was getting in and helped, if he was told and didnt do it he should have been taken off too

So you blame the player instead of the manager? If that's the case, what's the point in having a manager at all?

I didn't say Wenger has no responsibility did it? Ox is a senior player he should have some awareness

He also ignored the huge gap between the attackers and the defenders with too many of our midfielders attacking at the same time. He saw the results of that many times before like against Villa in the first games last season and against Dortmund this season (many other times too). He allowed it to continue. You never see him on the line shouting out instructions. Instead just standing there fiddling with his zip and ignoring the dangers on the field.

• Advertisement

Maybe that's why you like Wenger so much, because you don't understand what his job is and where he should be taking responsibility?

I am very much aware of Wenger's responsibility as manager, I don't see things as black and white as you

All extremes with you... Both are responsible

I am very much aware of Wenger's responsibility as manager, I don't see things as black and white as you

No i don't see things in black and white, I see what's in front of me not what i want to see like you do.

If your going to put the blame on the players then think about why those specific players are there int he first place...

No i don't see things in black and white, I see what's in front of me not what i want to see like you do.

If your going to put the blame on the players then think about why those specific players are there int he first place...

So what I see is wrong and what you see is right - ok then

I don't believe Wenger is without fault either, just that the positives outweigh the negatives for me

• Advertisement

I don't believe Wenger is without fault either, just that the positives outweigh the negatives for me

It's the opposite for me.
    I can't understand his tactical naivety at all and his inability/refusal to buy what's needed.
    It's costing us big-time.

It's the opposite for me.
    I can't understand his tactical naivety at all and his inability/refusal to buy what's needed.
    It's costing us big-time.

That's fine I'm sure we can co exist

So what I see is wrong and what you see is right - ok then

Now who's being black and white?

Now who's being black and white?

I am pointing out the logic n your statement

• Registered Users Posts: 4,694 ✭✭✭emmetlego

No this is exactly how I feel. AW has no equals in what he achieved for the club. Yes, I'm frustrated too, but he has turned bad form around before, and I'll be confident he can again. Now I don't for an instant think we can win the league this year, but I honestly don't think we are too far away. Get the injuries sorted, Give Forsyth a chance to strengthen the lads, and we'll be far better. It's the sheer amount of injuries we have that is crippling us more, and trying to make fit square pegs in round holes.

Keep the faith. As I said earlier, if when the injuries are back and we don't start climbing the table, and make a top signing (either CH or DMF) then I may be swayed into the Wenger out camp. But for the moment, I'm firmly behind Le Prof!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭byrneg28

Out of interest whats the split between WengerIn and WengerOut on this forum?

50/50 you reckon?

Out of interest whats the split between WengerIn and WengerOut on this forum?

50/50 you reckon?

Poll :D

I'd say after last week it's 70:30
    The week before prob 40:60

I'd say after last week it's 70:30
    The week before prob 40:60

And next week - who knows? A win against United and it will be 75:25 in favour

Poll :D

Can we request a poll from a mod for WengerIn and WengerOut

• Advertisement

Can we request a poll from a mod for WengerIn and WengerOut

Done

Done

So did i

Any way it's 66:33 early doors

Done

Where is it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭Bridge93

yipeeeee wrote: »
    Over what period?

The summer just gone. The argument of some that they don't want someone like Rodgers spending all the reserves does not hold up.

Bridge93 wrote: »
    The summer just gone. The argument of some that they don't want someone like Rodgers spending all the reserves does not hold up.

that's hardly a good comparison point as the Suarez money was received then

Net spend is deceptive Suarez was sold

It does. My argument is not quantitative, it's qualitative.. at least when Wenger opens his pocket it's actually on decent players. He spent more than Wenger, your argument is NET. So they sold their best player and replaced him with pure dirt. And it was the summer, rodgers has spent on dirt before that. If I built something practically with my hands and was starved of trophies for the last 9 years I'm glad with our sensible purchases most particularly Sanchez

I will admit I got annoyed when we didn't sign Balotelli, but I can see why we didn't.

Lets have a look on what rodgers has purchased

Joe Allen Swansea City £15,000,000

Oussama Assaidi Heerenveen £3,000,000

Daniel Sturridge Chelsea £12,000,000

Philippe Coutinho Inter Milan £8,500,000

João Carlos Teixeira Sporting Lisbon £830,000

Luis Alberto Sevilla £6,800,000

Iago Aspas Celta Vigo £7,000,000

Simon Mignolet Sunderland £9,000,000

Mamadou Sakho Paris St Germain £15,000,000

Tiago Ilori Sporting Lisbon £7,000,000

Rickie Lambert Southampton £4,500,000

Adam Lallana Southampton £25,000,000

Emre Can Bayer Leverkusen £9,750,000

Lazar Markovic Benfica £19,800,000

Dejan Lovren Southampton £20,000,000

Divick Origi Lille £9,800,000

Alberto Moreno Sevilla £12,000,000

Mario Balotelli AC Milan £16,000,000

Nooooo thank you. with the exception of Sturridge and possibly Coutihno that list is dirt, Joe Allen 15 million? Aspas 8 million? Lazer Markovic 20 million? good christ.. not thank you..

I'm happy to keep coming 4th and not spend on that tripe

• Advertisement

And next week - who knows? A win against United and it will be 75:25 in favour

I think its around 30% keep 20% floaters & 50% time is up

Polls will include non Arsenal fans we'll not get a real stat either way!

Where is it?

Its very lead question, should he leave now? Most will say give him to end of season

• Registered Users Posts: 4,940 ✭✭✭omega man

I think its around 30% keep 20% floaters & 50% time is up

Polls will include non Arsenal fans we'll not get a real stat either way!

Yep poll won't be accurate as non arsenal fans voting. They all probably want him to stay as things stand!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,665 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

All extremes with you... Both are responsible

Not extreme at all, you said that the player is more at fault than the manager and I disagreed. Both are responsible but I think the manager should shoulder most of the blame.

that's hardly a good comparison point as the Suarez money was received then

The point was about spending the clubs cash reserves. Rodgers spent less of Liverpools. Suarez being solld gave him a bigger pool of money to spend yes. but clubs are allowed to spend money they earn.

As for the list of players calling them all dirt is pretty lazy and narrow minded.
    Plenty of them are quitr young and very good players.

Wenger hasnt spent that much less than Rodgers since he's been at Liverpool and he didnt have the Suarez money to bolster his Wallet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

We should do a manager swap for like 3 months, would be fun to see.

Plus the manager gets to take his pick of one player with him for three months.

• Advertisement

The point was about spending the clubs cash reserves. Rodgers spent less of Liverpools. Suarez being solld gave him a bigger pool of money to spend yes. but clubs are allowed to spend money they earn.

As for the list of players calling them all dirt is pretty lazy and narrow minded.
    Plenty of them are quitr young and very good players.

Wenger hasnt spent that much less than Rodgers since he's been at Liverpool and he didnt have the Suarez money to bolster his Wallet.

Brendan Rodgers bought 25 players for £212,380,000, accuring 82,500,000

Since taking charge of Arsenal Football Club, Arsene Wenger has spent approximately £486,550,000 on player purchases, whilst accruing £375,704,000.

Brendan Rodgers bought 25 players for £212,380,000, accuring 82,500,000

Since taking charge of Arsenal Football Club, Arsene Wenger has spent approximately £486,550,000 on player purchases, whilst accruing £375,704,000.

Well the figures arent true and its an unfair comparison but don't let that cloud your judgement. I really don't care hugely as I dont support either club. As with any debate there are those on both sides who make good and bad arguments.
    It's what makes it so interesting! At least the Wenger debate has a few on both sides to give opinions. Much more interesting than the United thread last year and this year regards Moyes etc.

Well the figures arent true and its an unfair comparison but don't let that cloud your judgement. I really don't care hugely as I dont support either club. As with any debate there are those on both sides who make good and bad arguments.
    It's what makes it so interesting! At least the Wenger debate has a few on both sides to give opinions. Much more interesting than the United thread last year and this year regards Moyes etc.

Do your research man. Figures are dead on, maybe you're better suited to the Rugby Forum

Who gives a sh1t how little money he spends compared to City or Chelsea, we still come 4th and go trophyless every year with the exception of two, he still buys sh1t players and stick's by them he still loses his best players he still waits till the 80-90 minute mark to make subs he still ignores the lack of depth in positions he still sticks with the same sh1tty tactics that get us squashed by the big teams etc etc the list goes on, his time is up, we got 4th yay now lets move forward and not backwards.

Its very lead question, should he leave now? Most will say give him to end of season

The query here was whether his time is up, no one here was saying give him til the end if the season, see how he does

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement