Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2014/15

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,984 ✭✭✭Soups123

Basil3 wrote: »
    This kinda stuff is incredibly frustrating. It's not rocket science. Tell someone not to go forward, and you'd expect that's easy enough for them to remember.

Edit: The even more frustrating thing is that Flamini actually offers nothing going forward anyway.....so why would he ever need to be up there?

Its not that simple, teams at the athlete level cant sacrafice a player, he has to have defensive awareness but be able to form part of the attack. Take Matic for example.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭brianregan09

I think the whole Wenger factor in transfers is over sold aswell, Like with the Sanchez deal he had a choice of coming to us , Liverpool or Juventus , We were always the best choice regardless of managers, Sure liverpool had just come off a big title challenge , but they also had sold there best player (not exactly showing ambition) and not discounting they hadn't been in the champions league in years

Juventus then although Serie A champions , That league is very poor and of course alexis had been there before with Udinese who's to say he wanted a fresh challenge

and then us in Champions League every year and just fresh off winning FA cup and looking to push on , oh and the living in London compared to Liverpool Factor

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,435 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

I think the whole Wenger factor in transfers is over sold aswell, Like with the Sanchez deal he had a choice of coming to us , Liverpool or Juventus , We were always the best choice regardless of managers, Sure liverpool had just come off a big title challenge , but they also had sold there best player (not exactly showing ambition) and not discounting they hadn't been in the champions league in years

Juventus then although Serie A champions , That league is very poor and of course alexis had been there before with Udinese who's to say he wanted a fresh challenge

and then us in Champions League every year and just fresh off winning FA cup and looking to push on , oh and the living in London compared to Liverpool Factor

He didn't look too far into our own history then.

Yeah but im talking about last season, Like it was the thing we were all sold as fans oh look the stadium is almost paid off we don't have to sell our best players now.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭farna_boy

Does anyone else think that the players should have some responsibility to how poorly they are performing? People can criticise Wenger all they want for not motivating players, but time and time again the players just don't seem to care about big matches for Wenger.

For example, Wenger's 1000th match in charge, against Chelsea. Surely any player on the squad should see the relevance of that match and should be fired up for that match and wanting to do it for Wenger. Instead we go out and put in a half hearted display. Similar story for Wenger's 65th birthday, although we managed to get through that by the skin of our teeth.

To me, these type of matches should require no motivation from anybody. Each of the players should be fired up and self motivated to thank Wenger for standing by a lot of them when the media and fans were on their back. Even still, for such momentous occasions, I would have expected a lot more from the players but it doesn't seem to matter to some of them.

You can blame Wenger for not motivating players for a match against Burnley or whoever, but if they can't be bothered performing for him when it matters, surely people need to be asking questions about the players as well.

Soups123 wrote: »
    Its not that simple, teams at the athlete level cant sacrafice a player, he has to have defensive awareness but be able to form part of the attack. Take Matic for example.

I dunno, I think you could tell him to only go the centre circle and still be an outlet for the attack. In football you're less affected than going a man down than you would be in rugby (imho), and if anything, Arsenal's problem is not that they don't have enough options attacking, they're usually tripping all over each other.

Guess the main thing is that something has to change, and I don't know if it will.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭wonga77

Diaby out again for 3 more months. Surely he will be left go at the end of the season, he's only taking up space at this rate. Tough on him but he clearly isnt up to it, im amazed he's been left back to train and play by doctors

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,192 ✭✭✭Ken Shamrock

farna_boy wrote: »
    Does anyone else think that the players should have some responsibility to how poorly they are performing? People can criticise Wenger all they want for not motivating players, but time and time again the players just don't seem to care about big matches for Wenger.

For example, Wenger's 1000th match in charge, against Chelsea. Surely any player on the squad should see the relevance of that match and should be fired up for that match and wanting to do it for Wenger. Instead we go out and put in a half hearted display. Similar story for Wenger's 65th birthday, although we managed to get through that by the skin of our teeth.

To me, these type of matches should require no motivation from anybody. Each of the players should be fired up and self motivated to thank Wenger for standing by a lot of them when the media and fans were on their back. Even still, for such momentous occasions, I would have expected a lot more from the players but it doesn't seem to matter to some of them.

You can blame Wenger for not motivating players for a match against Burnley or whoever, but if they can't be bothered performing for him when it matters, surely people need to be asking questions about the players as well.

And also take a look at who's responsible for bringing them players in...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,940 ✭✭✭omega man

wonga77 wrote: »
    Diaby out again for 3 more months. Surely he will be left go at the end of the season, he's only taking up space at this rate. Tough on him but he clearly isnt up to it, im amazed he's been left back to train and play by doctors

And in related news Ozil out another 7 weeks at least.

This is a new one! We should win games that fall on his birthday or special occassions or on big games?

You motivate your players, the team you are playing motivates there players, so thats a match. Then it comes down to who has the best players and tactics

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

omega man wrote: »
    And in related news Ozil out another 7 weeks at least.

When he first picked up the injury 5 weeks ago, we were told he was to be out for 12 weeks. This is hardly news is it ? Unless everyone was expecting all recuperations to go ahead of schedule a la Giroud ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭farna_boy

This is a new one! We should win games that fall on his birthday or special occassions or on big games?

You motivate your players, the team you are playing motivates there players, so thats a match. Then it comes down to who has the best players and tactics

No not what I said. I said that for those special occasions the players should need no or very little motivation because they want to go out and win for their manager who has stood by them all. It happens very rarely that you will get one of those big games, so I would expect the players to go out and a least try to put in a performance for their manager. Fair enough you might not win, depending on who you are playing, but I would expect a bit of fight/spirit.

And seriously, every player should be fired up for big games, be it cup finals or playing Sp*rs or whatever. If they are not, I would be asking questions about them.

No not what I said. I said that for those special occasions the players should need no or very little motivation because they want to go out and win for their manager who has stood by them all. It happens very rarely that you will get one of those big games, so I would expect the players to go out and a least try to put in a performance for their manager. Fair enough you might not win, depending on who you are playing, but I would expect a bit of fight/spirit.

And seriously, every player should be fired up for big games, be it cup finals or playing Sp*rs or whatever. If they are not, I would be asking questions about them.

I honestly don't think it's a lack of motivation, they're more likely to lose the plot in a big match, and do something stupid....probably due to being too hyped up or motivated to do well.

To me it's all down to psychology. I read a great article about the All Blacks, and how they train themselves to get into a zone where they are performing at their peak. Different players had different queues that they would use during a match to ground them and refocus them on the situation. Above all of that, they have utmost belief in themselves and their teammates. This is one major thing I feel Arsenal are lacking right now.

greendom wrote: »
    When he first picked up the injury 5 weeks ago, we were told he was to be out for 12 weeks. This is hardly news is it ? Unless everyone was expecting all recuperations to go ahead of schedule a la Giroud ?

Just an update from the mans mouth himself today. thought this was arsenal related so sorry I didn't run it by you first.....

http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11670/9562604/arsenals-mesut-ozil-out-of-action-until-january

Just an update from the mans mouth himself today. thought this was arsenal related so sorry I didn't run it by you first.....

not aimed at you I presumed it was another press related woe is Arsenal story, didn't realise it was a communication from Mesut himself.

(but probably best if you do run all your posts by me first ;):pac:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭byrneg28

http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11670/9562604/arsenals-mesut-ozil-out-of-action-until-january

Who lit the fuse on your tampon?

not aimed at you I presumed it was another press related woe is Arsenal story, didn't realise it was a communication from Mesut himself.

(but probably best if you do run all your posts by me first ;):pac:)

Sorry sounded like you were talking about me ;-) I

byrneg28 wrote: »
    Who lit the fuse on your tampon?

Nice contribution

These are multi million point spoilt brats, they dont care about the managers milestones. But its not just about motivation, players can be fully motivated and ready to go but the tactics, teams selection and quality may not be there.

Of course players take the blame but when the team is not performing over prolonged periods and its mutliple players not performing then the management is called into question. This team is 100% Arsene built so they are his players

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,336 ✭✭✭Mr.Micro

Not sure what is going on with the team. We missing Kos badly....that is factor. That aside, we threw away leads this season, which were truly shocking and amateur. Negative, I know, but the way we are playing this season, we may be lucky to finish mid table. Wenger not doing it any more, IMO. There needs to be a massive shake up at the end of the season, unless we want to continue on in the realms of mediocrity.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,416 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Reckon Diaby will be moved onto a pay if you play deal when his current contract is over, is this the end of the season? Then he can hopefully play a game or two and maybe get a move. Arsenal seem to have really done their best by him so far. Cant see teams queuing up for him which is a shame as he's a good player and seems a good guy too.

salmocab wrote: »
    Reckon Diaby will be moved onto a pay if you play deal when his current contract is over, is this the end of the season? Then he can hopefully play a game or two and maybe get a move. Arsenal seem to have really done their best by him so far. Cant see teams queuing up for him which is a shame as he's a good player and seems a good guy too.

he'll get somewhere on a pay as you play deal, I'll imagine. I wouldn't be surprised if he quits altogether though. There's only so much frustration and pain that someone can take.

he'll get somewhere on a pay as you play deal, I'll imagine. I wouldn't be surprised if he quits altogether though. There's only so much frustration and pain that someone can take.

He'll be a broke lad at that rate, hope he has put some away!

Its not nice to see a player with that level of ability have to sit it out so much, set back after set back. Would love to see him get fit if even not with us.

What he has gone through require serious mental strenght

He'll be a broke lad at that rate, hope he has put some away!

Its not nice to see a player with that level of ability have to sit it out so much, set back after set back. Would love to see him get fit if even not with us.

What he has gone through require serious mental strenght

Hopefully he manages his money better than David James !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,665 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

You'd have to wonder if he'd be better off retiring at this stage and trying to build a different career for himself if not scouting or coaching then maybe a career outside football altogether.

• Advertisement

Hopefully he manages his money better than David James !

He could sell off his signed casts!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭Jaafa

Diaby doesn't have a new injury, he's still recovering as normal.

Ozil isn't out for any longer than originally stated, it was 12 weeks, its been 5 weeks, so 7 more weeks.

People need to stop believing things as soon as they read them.

Kim 'Aha'dashian

#Fun #Aha #Joke #keepingupwiththepoldi
    #banter #Poldi #kardashian NSFW

Oh Podolski...:p

Jaafa wrote: »

Ozil isn't out for any longer than originally stated, it was 12 weeks, its been 5 weeks, so 7 more weeks.

Diaby has a new injury you don't play 2/3 games and then be out for another 3 months without there being an further injury.

On Ozil nobody has said anything otherswise, 'And in related news Ozil out another 7 weeks at least.'.

Jaafa wrote: »

I don't quite get you. Ozil's update was from the man himself. That's news I want to hear personally rather then from "sources" or even the club itself.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭symbolic

I don't quite get you. Ozil's update was from the man himself. That's news I want to hear personally rather then from "sources" or even the club itself.

I think the way it was reported made it sound like he was out for another 7 on top of the 12.

Also they use the term set back.. Which ozil doesn't mention. Got us all looking at it anyway!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

Kim 'Aha'dashian

#Fun #Aha #Joke #keepingupwiththepoldi
    #banter #Poldi #kardashian NSFW

Oh Podolski...:p

This is what this guy gets 100K a week for...

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭Paj

efb wrote: »
    This is what this guy gets 100K a week for...

he's a serious finisher and he's scored crucial goals.
    AW leaves him out but he's no worse than a lot of our players at the moment

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

Paj wrote: »
    he's a serious finisher and he's scored crucial goals.
    AW leaves him out but he's no worse than a lot of our players at the moment

Great in the Carling Cup...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,694 ✭✭✭emmetlego

Even if by some miracle Chad Forsyth, finds a niche in training for Diaby to get fit, and stay fit… Do any of you think he will have the mental fortitude to ever play at the top level again? Ability and fitness is one thing, but having the metallic testicles to commit tackles after his run of bad luck, is another. Feel sorry for that fella!

Such potential all the same.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 828 ✭✭✭TUBBY

If he was with another club and different training methods, who knows. One thing for sure, Arsenal aren't helping his injury record when you look at the injury league table (although he is a big contributor to our position).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭jonneymendoza

Was moving my broadband to Sky today and got chatting to the sales guy, turns out he thinks Arsene has to go at the end of the season. (Prick almost lost a sale :P)

Getting my hair cut just before lunch and the barber said they same thing.

They were a Utd and a Liverpool fan. Seems to be a growing number of non-Arsenal fans saying the same as above. Quite a few lads in work are saying the same.

he should go

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

Its hard not to feel for Diaby but he should be cut loose when his contract is up. He's not physically capable of being a professional footballer.

he should go

he has the season to prove whether he should see out his contract

he has the season to prove whether he should see out his contract

And to quantify that I would need to see an improvement, so 3rd in the league or better, an improved showing in the CL or another cup win (can't improve on winning it) The latter 2 would be acceptable providing a top 4 berth is secured

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

i never rated him too highly but from last night and this season, Jenko has turned into a fine right back.

Pretty quite with the International break... think it's time to do something silly :D

Seaman

Szczesney
    Lauren--Campbell--Toure--Cole Debuchy--Mertes--Koscielny--Gibbs

Vieira
    Gilberto

Arteta
    Ramsey

Ljungberg----Bergkamp----Pires Walcott
    Ozil
    Sanchez

Henry

Welbeck

I know that team played 4-4-2 but just for comparisons sake, also i know wilshere,Giroud etc could easily be there but just for the craic

Where do you think we suffer compared to 12 years ago? Tactics and Arab investors aside. Man for Man how do you think the 2 teams compare?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

Pretty quite with the International break... think it's time to do something silly :D

Seaman

Szczesney

Vieira
    Gilberto

Arteta
    Ramsey

Ozil
    Sanchez

Henry

Welbeck

I know that team played 4-4-2 but just for comparisons sake, also i know wilshere,Giroud etc could easily be there but just for the craic

Where do you think we suffer compared to 12 years ago? Tactics and Arab investors aside. Man for Man how do you think the 2 teams compare?

Shows how far we have fallen, team on the right looks dirt compared to the left. Kos would get into it and maybe Walcott/Sanchez?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,435 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Seaman

Szczesney

Vieira
    Gilberto

Arteta
    Ramsey

Ozil
    Sanchez

Henry

Welbeck

The first 6 names with the exception of Kos are not as strong thus causing us to concede too many goals too easily. That's just the defence as you have placed them.
    Chez will be great in time.
    Bergkamp and Henry are also better than what we have now.
    Walcott, Ozil and Sanchez have not got enough playing time together yet so it is hard to make a comparison there. Always liked Pires but i'm liking Sanchez very much now and so far would have him ahead.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

Seaman

Szczesney

Vieira
    Gilberto

Arteta
    Ramsey

Ozil
    Sanchez

Henry

Welbeck

Only player I'd take from the current team would be Sanchez instead of Ljubgberg.

Otherwise the team on the left is superior in all other departments.

The first 6 names with the exception of Kos are not as strong thus causing us to concede too many goals too easily. That's just the defence as you have placed them.
    Chez will be great in time.
    Bergkamp and Henry are also better than what we have now.
    Walcott, Ozil and Sanchez have not got enough playing time together yet so it is hard to make a comparison there. Always liked Pires but i'm liking Sanchez very much now and so far would have him ahead.

Sanchez over Pires is very interesting. Sanchez's time has been so limited but what he has done has been great so it's easy to think highly of him, which i do.

But Pires for me is one of the all time greats, sooo much quality, found it hard at the start physically which is something Sanchez has been great at but it will take time to see just how great he is.

Hoping he becomes a club legend and can lead us to a few trophies!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,216 ✭✭✭Looper007

Only player I'd take from the current team would be Sanchez instead of Ljubgberg.

Otherwise the team on the left is superior in all other departments.

Well lets be honest most of the teams today couldn't compete with that Arsenal team, one of the greatest teams ever.

Lads i thought this thread gets bad sometimes but **** me there are people on the Ireland thread calling for O Neills head already.....bloody hell

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭symbolic

Lads i thought this thread gets bad sometimes but **** me there are people on the Ireland thread calling for O Neills head already.....bloody hell

People don't like losing though. I bet there's people on this thread calling for Wenger Out because they don't have bragging rights in work when Arsenal lose....little do they know there's a bit more to it then how they feel of a Monday morning haha

• Advertisement

symbolic wrote: »
    People don't like losing though. I bet there's people on this thread calling for Wenger Out because they don't have bragging rights in work when Arsenal lose....little do they know there's a bit more to it then how they feel of a Monday morning haha

Tbh I don't think any of the gooners here are that petty.

Plus you'll do well to find a Swindon or Anderlecht fan in my office anyway.......

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement