Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2014/15

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭emergingstar

Soups123 wrote: »
    Tbh I don't think any of the gooners here are that petty.

Plus you'll do well to find a Swindon or Anderlecht fan in my office anyway.......

*swansea*

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭fulmer1984

Pretty quite with the International break... think it's time to do something silly :D

Seaman

Szczesney
    Lauren--Campbell--Toure--Cole Debuchy--Mertes--Koscielny--Gibbs

Vieira
    Gilberto

Arteta
    Ramsey

Ljungberg----Bergkamp----Pires Walcott
    Ozil
    Sanchez

Henry

Welbeck

I know that team played 4-4-2 but just for comparisons sake, also i know wilshere,Giroud etc could easily be there but just for the craic

Where do you think we suffer compared to 12 years ago? Tactics and Arab investors aside. Man for Man how do you think the 2 teams compare?

The problem isn't the players, both teams could destroy any team on their day and I think this current team could easily win the league, problem is the coaching and no plan b. Nothing has changed in the past few years and what's happening now is that the new breath of managers can easily suss us out which is why we are struggling against teams who aren't crap/out of form. We are a 1 dimentional team. We'll do enough again this year to scrape 4th but that's about it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

fulmer1984 wrote: »
    The problem isn't the players, both teams could destroy any team on their day and I think this current team could easily win the league, problem is the coaching and no plan b. Nothing has changed in the past few years and what's happening now is that the new breath of managers can easily suss us out which is why we are struggling against teams who aren't crap/out of form. We are a 1 dimentional team. We'll do enough again this year to scrape 4th but that's about it.

Some serous delusion in that post

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,435 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

greendom wrote: »
    Some serous delusion in that post

He's not that far off the mark in fairness as results have shown.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭Ed Winchester

This total and complete laying of blame at Wengers door is a crock. So many players have failed to step up when their team, and manager, have needed them. We're on a horrific run of injuries, and guys like Mert, Gibbs, Flamini, Ramsey and a few more are needed to step it up for the good of the football club. They've let the club, the fans and the manager down.
    Wenger isn't blameless, not by a long way. But there's a lot of lads who should be doing a lot more.

That joke pic of Sanchez working while everyone else is standing, leaning against their shovels is scarily accurate.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭emergingstar

Wengers gets a lot of the blame

But I do agree the players are getting off very very lightly in this run of bad form

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,750 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

He's not that far off the mark in fairness as results have shown.

We haven't shown that we can destroy top teams. Haven't even shown that we can beat them.

AdamD wrote: »
    We haven't shown that we can destroy top teams. Haven't even shown that we can beat them.

We can't beat many of the bottom teams either of late.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭Jaafa

The way I see it, if you really look at things objectively, in the Prem at least, we are 3rd/4th in terms of club resources, 3rd/4th in terms of quality of players on our team and since 2006 we've consistently finished in 3rd/4th place. The worst Wenger should be accused of is not punching above his weight. Which is a valid criticism in itself don't get me wrong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

Were 5th no?
    City
    Chelsea
    United
    Liverpool
    Arsenal

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭RedemptionZ

Wenger gets a lot of criticism and true many of it is undeserved because of the whole stadium financial situation and such, but the fact is there's been no progress in so long that the best you could describe Wenger's reign these days is static. Any signs of improvement this season? Not really. Most businesses with any ambition would have gotten rid of their CEOs if they were consistently losing out to their competitors.

Most CEOs would recognise success of the MD when they see it

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,866 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

It seems mad to compare your best team ever with your current best team, especially when your current XI have never even all played together at the same time.

That said I know it is just being used to highlight some of the differences and how they are the issues in general you may want to fix. Like strengthening the defense (replace a Mert with a Campbell for instance) and adding steel to the CM area (a Gilberto for an Arteta).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,192 ✭✭✭Ken Shamrock

It seems mad to compare your best team ever with your current best team, especially when your current XI have never even all played together at the same time.

That said I know it is just being used to highlight some of the differences and how they are the issues in general you may want to fix. Like strengthening the defense (replace a Mert with a Campbell for instance) and adding steel to the CM area (a Gilberto for an Arteta).

I started it off by saying i think its time to do something silly...obviously not a fair comparison.

But yes that's exactly what is was intended to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,984 ✭✭✭Soups123

Great game by Welbeck today for England.

Wilshire very good also.

We've a serious amount if players in this England set up meaning you kinda have to watch them and hope they do well.

Great game by Welbeck today for England.

Wilshire very good also.

We've a serious amount if players in this England set up meaning you kinda have to watch them and hope they do well.

Arsenal 2 United 1 - I'll take that next weekend. And a Liverpool own goal too!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭yipeeeee

Welbz needs to step it up for us.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,984 ✭✭✭Soups123

yipeeeee wrote: »
    Welbz needs to step it up for us.

I've liked what he's done with us

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭jonneymendoza

This total and complete laying of blame at Wengers door is a crock. So many players have failed to step up when their team, and manager, have needed them. We're on a horrific run of injuries, and guys like Mert, Gibbs, Flamini, Ramsey and a few more are needed to step it up for the good of the football club. They've let the club, the fans and the manager down.
    Wenger isn't blameless, not by a long way. But there's a lot of lads who should be doing a lot more.

That joke pic of Sanchez working while everyone else is standing, leaning against their shovels is scarily accurate.

who bought those players? who deployed the silly tactics to the squad?

wenger

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭yipeeeee

I've liked what he's done with us

Need more goals from him.

2 in the league isn't good enough IMO.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,391 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

yipeeeee wrote: »
    Need more goals from him.

2 in the league isn't good enough IMO.

He's completely isolated most games. He could do more drifting out wider but everyone else in the attack for Arsenal right now likes to come from a wider position. A lot of the time he's being marked by 2 players in the middle which is probably what is giving Sanchez such freedom at the moment. As more understanding and fine tuning happens I definitely see him scoring more.

• Registered Users Posts: 424 ✭✭LoganRice

Anyone have an opinion on the idea of Diego Simeone replacing Wenger as team manager? I know a lot of Arsenal fans wouldn't expect him as a future manager but what do you think?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭Ed Winchester

who bought those players? who deployed the silly tactics to the squad?

wenger

That's just lazy. Of course Wenger bought them. Are they performing to the standards they're capable of? Not even close. Should they shoulder most of the blame for that? Absolutely.

Wenger can only do so much. Once they cross the white line, it's up to the players to perform. And by and large they're not.

We've a serious amount if players in this England set up
    Not a great place to have a lot of players for several reasons.

England isn't in the top tier of European football. That match yesterday was championship level, they we bound to impress

efb wrote: »
    England isn't in the top tier of European football. That match yesterday was championship level, they we bound to impress

where better then most european teams including all the other UK countries + Ireland.

In europe we are probably easily top 6 team

Germany
    Belgium
    Netherlands
    France
    Spain
    Portugal
    Italy
    Switzerland
    Greece
    Ukraine

All better than England atm

LG Greece? Who just lost to the Faroes? Switzerland, Who England beat comfortably earlier this season? Highly debatable list imo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

Netherlands
    Think you need to check up on their recent results.

Portugal
    Doubt it myself, they don't have much going on.
    Switzerland
    This is the same Switzerland who are in England's group and have half the points England do?
    Greece
    Who just lost at home to NI and the Faroes, swiftly followed by a sacking.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

Germany
    Belgium
    Netherlands
    France
    Spain
    Portugal
    Italy
    Switzerland
    Greece
    Ukraine

as others have said. your list is laughable. only half those teams in that lame list could qualify as better then England.

That's just lazy. Of course Wenger bought them. Are they performing to the standards they're capable of? Not even close. Should they shoulder most of the blame for that? Absolutely.

Wenger can only do so much. Once they cross the white line, it's up to the players to perform. And by and large they're not.

So why does Wenger not watch them play badly and drop them?
    If someone is a slacker and continues to get away with it why would he change?

The buck stops with le boss.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭dinorebel

Does that make Ireland a non-league team?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,080 ✭✭✭DenMan

dinorebel wrote: »
    Does that make Ireland a non-league team?

No! League 1 I'd say!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,118 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

Raf32 wrote: »

I seriously hope it isn't. One of the few positions in our team we don't need to worry about imo. If it is true, then it means Wenger is placing blame in the wrong part of the team. How is changing our keeper changing the fact we have only 2 senior centre backs. Ridiculous transfer management again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,572 ✭✭✭TheGunns

There's no chance we'd buy Cech after already buying Ospina (who I don't really think we needed either), if we did then I think we could all start firmly blaming Wenger for everything :D

Quazzie wrote: »
    I seriously hope it isn't. One of the few positions in our team we don't need to worry about imo. If it is true, then it means Wenger is placing blame in the wrong part of the team. How is changing our keeper changing the fact we have only 2 senior centre backs. Ridiculous transfer management again.

Depends on how serious the injury to Ospina is. I'm not convinced about Martínez and Szez and Cech fighting for the no 1 slot seems like a much better situation.

greendom wrote: »
    Depends on how serious the injury to Ospina is. I'm not convinced about Martínez and Szez and Cech fighting for the no 1 slot seems like a much better situation.

If a CB isn't Wenger's first signing then whoever looks after the transfers really should be laid off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,161 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

Cech is a better keeper than Szczesny. But I doubt he'd want to leave his position as no.2 at Chelsea to come to another club where he wouldn't be guaranteed a first team place. I wouldn't complain if it did happen, but obviously a million better ways to spend the money.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

Cech would be a massive improvement on what we have here but no way it happens.

• Advertisement

Germany
    Belgium
    Netherlands
    France
    Spain
    Portugal
    Italy
    Switzerland
    Greece
    Ukraine

This is the FIFA rankings

This is the FIFA rankings

Ah I see how you were fooled now.

At best they would be below Italy - 8th 2nd tier

Quazzie wrote: »
    Ah I see how you were fooled now.

It's not fooled- they were the bottom team in their group in the WC

as others have said. your list is laughable. only half those teams in that lame list could qualify as better then England.

Name them- it's easy day half and not say who

Think you need to check up on their recent results.

Doubt it myself, they don't have much going on.

This is the same Switzerland who are in England's group and have half the points England do?

Who just lost at home to NI and the Faroes, swiftly followed by a sacking.

Taking out those 4 leaves them 6th

Netherlands and Portugal definitely are better teams than England.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

Netherlands and Portugal definitely are better teams than England.

Holland who lost to Iceland?

Holland who lost to Iceland?

One loss doesn't make them a poor team, The Netherlands finished 3rd in the WC

They stuffed Latvia 6-0 this evening

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement