Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2014/15

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭emergingstar

I think the Invincibles may have won that game

They actually drew a lot of games

• Registered Users Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭Barlett

We hadn't a hope of getting a result today, our squad is just too bare...whether its down to money saving or poor squad management I don't know, but we just don't have the team to compete with Chelsea. Look the season is already mapped out for Arsenal 4th place and maybe a run in the cups like every other season in the last few years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

They actually drew a lot of games

And got knocked out of the CL by a far inferior Chelsea.

Jose looks like he's heading for a serious points total, like he did in his second season last time around.

If we can't match that then we can't. Changing manager or players or whoever won't really change that fact.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,183 ✭✭✭UnknownSpecies

I think I'm done with the whole Özil through the middle excuse. Even though he was on the left, his touch looked poor and he was sluggish on the ball a lot of the time. It was like he was playing hungover, I was very disappointed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,752 ✭✭✭Mr Blobby

dorgasm wrote: »
    I think I'm done with the whole Özil through the middle excuse. Even though he was on the left, his touch looked poor and he was sluggish on the ball a lot of the time. It was like he was playing hungover, I was very disappointed.

Yet when he finally got playing through middle vs Villa he was immense.. Either play him in the middle or not at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,747 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Mr Blobby wrote: »
    Yet when he finally got playing through middle vs Villa he was immense.. Either play him in the middle or not at all.

Versus Villa, pretty important part of that.

gosplan wrote: »
    And got knocked out of the CL by a far inferior Chelsea.

Jose looks like he's heading for a serious points total, like he did in his second season last time around.

If we can't match that then we can't. Changing manager or players or whoever won't really change that fact.

No Shame getting beat by a better team

Which is what happened today

Hull
    Anderlecht
    Sunderland
    Burnley
    Anderlecht
    Swansea

Realistically a win and a draw against Anderlecht and 10 points from the 4 league matches has to be the baseline.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭Spanish Johnny

Disappointing loss today cos it was a very even game. Two moments of absolute quality decided it. Wilshere chance was every bit as good as Costa's bar the final touch. That was the difference. We were fired up today, tactically good and looked well prepared. Need a good run now.

• Advertisement

Mr Blobby wrote: »

Ah yea I know, he was an absolute joy against Villa, even though his heatmap from that game suggests he was still deployed on the left, just drifted to the middle more often. I still want him playing in the middle but it wouldn't have made a difference today. He seemed out of sorts all game. The rustiness of his play like when he ran that ball straight over the touch line had nothing to do with playing on the left.

I'm very very reluctant to bash any of our players and I still love having Mesut on the team. But I think the whole playing on the left excuse is wearing thin.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,984 ✭✭✭Soups123

Hull
    Anderlecht
    Sunderland
    Burnley
    Anderlecht
    Swansea

Realistically a win and a draw against Anderlecht and 10 points from the 4 league matches has to be the baseline.

I expect 12 pts from that run of fixtures

And 2 wins against Anderlecht they are poor

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,752 ✭✭✭Mr Blobby

AdamD wrote: »
    Versus Villa, pretty important part of that.

And he's also played against other weak teams out wide and played crap.
    Its no coincidence that he played great against Villa when he was in the middle.

Disappointing loss today cos it was a very even game. Two moments of absolute quality decided it. Wilshere chance was every bit as good as Costa's bar the final touch. That was the difference. We were fired up today, tactically good and looked well prepared. Need a good run now.

Ya will get shot down for that kind of post

This is the thing that I think people aren't paying enough attention to.

The last two years, our restrictions have been off a bit and we added some real quality. We need another few years to catch up with them.

When we look at our top drawer talent like Ozil and Sanchez, Chelsea look at Matic, Fab, Hazard, Costa.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭Spanish Johnny

Ya will get shot down for that kind of post

Emotions run high after games but I like to be realistic. Every defeat does not mean it was an awful performance or is the managers fault. Can't remember Chelsea being a threat all game bar the two pieces of class.

I have always seen this year as an evolving one where we would be short of Chelsea but closer to City hopefully. We are still a bit short in overall quality but also working out our best formation. That doesn't just happen and I think it will develop nicely.

Even for anyone that thinks Wenger should go should at least have the cop on to realise it hasn't a hope of happening until next year anyway so is a completely pointless debate until then.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,940 ✭✭✭omega man

This is the thing that I think people aren't paying enough attention to.

The last two years, our restrictions have been off a bit and we added some real quality. We need another few years to catch up with them.

When we look at our top drawer talent like Ozil and Sanchez, Chelsea look at Matic, Fab, Hazard, Costa.

Ozil isn't performing at all though. How much time does he get? My biggest worry is that RM let him go because they saw the writting on the wall. Yes he must play in a more central role but there's no excuse for someone of his talent playing so awful from the left, or right when required. I still believe that he'll deliver but it's frustrating watching him this season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

Disappointed in the lack of cutting edge in our attack, but it's not the end of the world. Chelsea didn't do too much themselves and bar Koscielny's error for the penalty, our defence was solid enough. You don't come up against defences like Chelsea too much either (in fact, in the league, there's nobody close to them).

3 times better than last year :pac:

omega man wrote: »
    Ozil isn't performing at all though. How much time does he get? My biggest worry is that RM let him go because they saw the writting on the wall. Yes he must play in a more central role but there's no excuse for someone of his talent playing so awful from the left, or right when required. I still believe that he'll deliver but it's frustrating watching him this season.

Yeah, he's playing sh1te. He gets slightly longer now we have all these injuries.

I still think it's a Wenger move tbh. He's up to something with Ozil in terms of training him out wide.

Hopefully when Walcott cones back, he'll go central and be amazing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

Two things today that really baffled me.

Ozil on the wing again drives me nuts as Blobby said play him central or not at all.

Then leaving him on for 90 minutes and taking off players who were having far better games.

Ozil on the wing again drives me nuts as Blobby said play him central or not at all.

Then leaving him on for 90 minutes and taking off players who were having far better games.

What was up with the Cazorla decision? Best player we had in the attacking third.

• Advertisement

Wengers post match quotes are mental. Utter ridiculous excuses.

As follows:

Wenger also disagreed with Mourinho's assertion that Laurent Koscielny should have been sent off for the tackle on Eden Hazard that gave Chelsea a penalty in the first half.

"No, because he went for the ball," Wenger added.

"I don't think it was a deliberate foul inside the box."

Wenger suggested Chelsea's "financial power" had been a major factor in the game, making reference to big-money Blues signings Hazard and Diego Costa as the difference in the game.

"It was a very even game I think, where in moments we were a bit unlucky sometimes," noted Wenger

"As well, at the end of the day, they have a financial power and they used it in a very efficient way when they had the chances.

"Their individual players who can make the difference made the difference - Hazard and Costa."

As follows:

Wenger also disagreed with Mourinho's assertion that Laurent Koscielny should have been sent off for the tackle on Eden Hazard that gave Chelsea a penalty in the first half.

Wenger suggested Chelsea's "financial power" had been a major factor in the game, making reference to big-money Blues signings Hazard and Diego Costa as the difference in the game.

"It was a very even game I think, where in moments we were a bit unlucky sometimes," noted Wenger

"As well, at the end of the day, they have a financial power and they used it in a very efficient way when they had the chances.

"Their individual players who can make the difference made the difference - Hazard and Costa."

I don't see a lot of excuses in fairness mostly facts

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,404 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Couldn't understand Wenger's comments after the match at all either.
    He just makes silly excuses.

I think the fact that he hasn't beaten a Jose team in 12 attempts has got to him and is effecting him. Jose knows that and is playing the card for all it's worth. It may even have got inside the heads of the team because if we were out there against them until tomorrow night i don't think we'd score.

This psychological barrier has been there for a long time now and it's not just Chelsea, it's United and City too. We need to bring in someone to work on the mental side of football. There is definitely a block there.

I don't really take any heed of what Arsene says good or bad, he is not a media puppet. He has no interest in giving them the **** to increase the ink.

No issues at what he said today, I did think he allowed himself get unduly distracted by Jose during the game though

Soups123 wrote: »
    I don't see a lot of excuses in fairness mostly facts

Really? We haven't spent large fees/wages on transfers or we don't have individuals that can change a game? Sound like excuses to me.

Really? We haven't spent large fees/wages on transfers or we don't have individuals that can change a game? Sound like excuses to me.

I read it as they have unrivalled financial power we are not on there level they have the resources to spend big on every position, we don't although we are getting there.

I took the last part as there big players delivered and ours didn't, which again was true

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

THIS!!!

Corzola was the only man moving the ball and creating chances, he was muttering all sorts of spanish when was being dragged off. Sanchez was not great but looks alot worse when ozil plays him just about getting there balls.

Ozil was absolute dire today, no defence for him this time. Even being played out of position his passing and running where very bad. If he is that tired give him another 3-4 weeks off and play the Ox at least he will give it 100%. Hell even play Pod instead.....

Sick to death of Wilshere turning into 3 or 4 players instead of playing the simple ball and Flamini is just a joke at this stage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭byrneg28

Wonda-Boy wrote: »
    THIS!!!

Corzola was the only man moving the ball and creating chances, he was muttering all sorts of spanish when was being dragged off. Sanchez was not great but looks alot worse when ozil plays him just about getting there balls.

Ozil was absolute dire today, no defence. If he is that tired give him another 3-4 weeks off and play the Ox at least he will give it 100%. Hell even play Pod instead.....

Sick to death of Wilshere turning into 3 or 4 players instead of playing the simple ball and Flamini is just a joke at this stage.

Agree up to a point. Think Wilshere actually tried to penetrate that back line as opposed to 'playing the simple ball' as we do over and over again.

Also thought Flamini had a solid game

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

Flamini tries 110% but he just cant cut it at this level, good squad player but as our main DM its just scary. Chelsea did not play that well today and they still where very comfortable....did we even manage to get a shot on target?

Flamini tries 110% but he just cant cut it at this level, good squad player but as our main DM its just scary. Chelsea did not play that well today and they still where very comfortable....did we even manage to get a shot on target?

To be fair, Flamini had a good game today but yeah he'll need to be replaced. We'd just the one shot on target, in injury time...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,254 ✭✭✭shano_88

Flamini was out best player. Im not a big of Flamini in general but he was very disiplined today.

Dissapointing result but im encouraged by the performance. We gave a very good Chelsea a good game and one piece of brilliance from Hazard was the main difference between the sides. I was a bit dissapointed that we didnt really push Chelsea much in the second half but they are so hard to break down when they get a lead and It was always going to be difficult. Ozil was dissapointing again, Not as terrible as some people are making out but he should be the one making the difference not flattering to decieve. Im beginning to think we might be better off with him on the bench away to the big teams.

Flamini was disciplined but a few players ghosted by him without too much effort today. He hasn't got the legs for someone running at him at pace.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,205 ✭✭✭Gringo180

Best post I have read all day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,205 ✭✭✭Gringo180

As follows:

Dont disagree with his comments myself. The man is hurt after todays loss you could see it in him at the final whistle what do you expect him to say?

On Ozil, I thought he had a meh game, but it is unreal the criticism he gets in here. What do we expect from the lad, for him to play his best every match? Hes only human for jaysus sake and you could see anytime the ball got near him Chelsea doubled up on him, he wasnt great but I would credit Chelseas tactical approach in nullifying his threat more than him having a poor game. I thought Wilshere was every bit as bad, far too many heavy touches and losing the ball in dangerous places.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,747 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Find it incredible that anyone could think Wilshere was as bad as Ozil today

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,404 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Gringo180 wrote: »
    Dont disagree with his comments myself. The man is hurt after todays loss you could see it in him at the final whistle what do you expect him to say?

He should be well used to it by now. Happens often enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

Agreed thought Wilshere was very good.
    But find it as equally incredible people thought Ozil was worse than Alexis.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

Wilshere tried and failed, that admirable British quality

Cazorla was an of the match for me

Excelling in the centre

• Advertisement

Cazorla was an of the match for me

Excelling in the centre

Close second for me. Flamini was actually my motm which is a big shocker to me.

Also If Cahill rightly got a red card we don't no how the game would have panned out

Raf32 wrote: »
    Close second for me. Flamini was actually my motm which is a big shocker to me.

Hard to argue against him in fairness

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,661 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

Also If Cahill rightly got a red card we don't no how the game would have panned out

To give a red card in a home game in front of Mourinho would require the referee to have some balls. Sadly most, if not all of them, have none.

To give a red card in a home game in front of Mourinho would require the referee to have some balls. Sadly most, if not all of them, have none.

It was a blatant red

In fairness we could have finished the game with 3 off

Just saying the first one coukd have changed how the game turned out

efb wrote: »
    Wilshere tried and failed, that admirable British quality

Absolute nonsense. You were spouting rubbish in the match thread as well.

Wilshere was one of our best performers today and has been so far this season as well.

• Advertisement

Soups123 wrote: »
    I read it as they have unrivalled financial power we are not on there level they have the resources to spend big on every position, we don't although we are getting there.

I took the last part as there big players delivered and ours didn't, which again was true

But that's just not true.

Chelsea are in line with FFP and there wages and revenue is in around the same as our own.

Anyone see Szc laughing today towards the end? Bit of a joke tbh, needs dropping. Been woeful all season for me.

But that's just not true.

Chelsea are in line with FFP and there wages and revenue is in around the same as our own.

Yes but you're missing the impact of it. In the five years to Feb 2014m their net spend was 282 million, ours was -4 million.

They still have all of those players, or at least all the ones they wanted to keep. FFP now is in and is curtailing what they can do but they did well out of the sales of Mata and Krusty so it hasn't impacted them yet.

Chelsea were smart enough to build a big young squad before FFP hit. The result is that it'll take a few years to catch up with them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

Absolute nonsense. You were spouting rubbish in the match thread as well.

Wilshere was one of our best performers today and has been so far this season as well.
    What did he do? His final ball was awful

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,116 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

Chelsea were smart enough to build a big young squad before FFP hit. The result is that it'll take a few years and a new manager to catch up with them.

FYP ;)

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement