Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2014/15

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

Raf32 wrote: »
    If he is why hasnt he pushed out a relatively above average gk before his injuries?

Because he was actually injured when we bought him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭wonga77

bad2dabone wrote: »
    I'm definitely hitting the liquor this evening

Join the club :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 630 ✭✭✭liamygunner29

GavRedKing wrote: »
    Id be really surprised if Cech was sold in January and 100% not to a rival.

Cech may leave in the summer and i think he will but not January.

Agreed, referring to my last post, Jose would see this as lunacy (unlike us) to sell to a direct rival and boost their situation immensely, he has said this many times. I think he genuienly didn't see Mata improving United too much and was happy to sell him for whatver reason. He wouldn't let Ba come near us the same year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

keano_afc wrote: »

But we still played him in a couple of games? Sheer incompetence by Wenger. Supposedly Ozil was injured after the WC and he must have played 10 games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,752 ✭✭✭Mr Blobby

If he is why hasnt he pushed out a relatively above average gk before his injuries?

Because he's only played one match...

...Which he was injured for.

You really need to do your homework on our players before calling them out. Szez is a very good keeper. When i think about positions that need upgrading, GK ain't one that springs to mid.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,940 ✭✭✭omega man

Jaysus you should be used to this by now.
    It's been happening for 10 feckin years.

That's why he hits the drink. He can't remember the last 10 years because of it! Every game is a new beginning ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,984 ✭✭✭Soups123

farna_boy wrote: »
    Who should have played today instead of the team that was sent out?
    Did the players look unmotivated to you?
    What was so wrong with the tactics today?
    Who was playing out of position?

If you need me to answer anything bar the first question then your are seriously deluded about AW.

To answer your first Ramsey should not have started, he has been woeful for weeks

Agreed, referring to my last post, Jose would see this as lunacy (unlike us) to sell to a direct rival and boost their situation immensely, he has said this many times. I think he genuienly didn't see Mata improving United too much and was happy to sell him for whatver reason. He wouldn't let Ba come near us the same year.

We're not really a direct rival though are we? He has Wenger sussed out a long time ago

Mr Blobby wrote: »
    Because he's only played one match...

...Which he was injured for.

You really need to do your homework on our players before calling them out. Szez is a very good keeper. When i think about positions that need upgrading, GK ain't one that springs to mid.

He was training for the best part of two months and we didnt see the injury? No non Arsenal fan would rate szc as a league winning gk. Its not a priority but after cb and dm its the next area to upgrade. Its this stubbornness and settling for this level of player which is holding us back.

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭king Henry 14

keano_afc wrote: »

Deja vu

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,592 ✭✭✭enfant terrible

He was training for the best part of two months and we didnt see the injury? No non Arsenal fan would rate szc as a league winning gk. Its not a priority but after cb and dm its the next area to upgrade. Its this stubbornness and settling for this level of player which is holding us back.

Yes Arsenal are hoping to compete at Champions League level.

Where would Szczesny rate with the best of Europe's goalies?

And you'd know this how? Man City won the league with Hart who imo isn't really that great.

Szczesny is still only 24 and is probably in the top 5 GK in the league. Also what's with all the talk of Szez again? It wasn't his fault that Gibbs pretty much KO'd him.

Yes Arsenal are hoping to compete at Champions League level.

Where would Szczesny rate with the best of Europe's goalies?

Top 20 I suppose which would be around our current level of last 16 every year.

Wenger, the club, the results, everything else aside.

What in the name of Jebus has happened to Aaron Ramsey. This is not a dip in form, this is a guy who looks like he has forgot how to play. Nothing is going right for him whatsoever, theres not even a visible hint of what he is capable of

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

I reckon he was right about Mata. Hes not the same player in a Utd shirt.

Maybe ches isnt the best in the world, but he certainly is not our biggest problem.
    Start with the biggest problem first and work from there

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,192 ✭✭✭Ken Shamrock

Overall he prob he has to go

Today he had the team set up well and we created enough to win

Everyone is blaming Him for today I'm not the players couldn't finish there chances today

Do you actually think it's that simple? Is that really what you saw today? Do you know what tactics are??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 828 ✭✭✭TUBBY

wonga77 wrote: »
    Wenger, the club, the results, everything else aside.

What in the name of Jebus has happened to Aaron Ramsey. This is not a dip in form, this is a guy who looks like he has forgot how to play. Nothing is going right for him whatsoever, theres not even a visible hint of what he is capable of

playing well for wales still as is wilshere for England. Does that not say a lot too.

Top 20 I suppose which would be around our current level of last 16 every year.

Think we can a lot better, can't have your goalie making such basic errors in big games, especially when it was the only difficult thing he was asked to do for whole game.

wonga77 wrote: »
    We're not really a direct rival though are we? He has Wenger sussed out a long time ago

Sussed out, easy money. Pathetic to be like that really. Must be upsetting for the man, I am sure he hates the thought of living the club on not a great note but he should step away soon and enjoy his old age. Enjoy the club he built and the regular European football he brought with a huge amount of player crisis and very limited resources not to mention the stadium he pionerred, it's that or change and wise up dramatically. The nature of all sport is to try and improve and we have not done that for some time. Losing a 3 goal led to Anderlecht and other such results are a real sign that the manager is not instilling an attitude which is not going to bring improvement. Maybe I am imagining things but some of the late goals I see, seem to be the players motivating themselves. Also while he is repected as a person and a manager, all our big players that left acknowledged the missing mentaility or edge which is now required more than ever. As fans we want our club to do well and to maintain stability but it also ihugely important to not roll over to big teams as they are huge gamrs to supporters and imporant for pride. The only team we have any hold over is Spurs and they are even windier than us.

• Advertisement

Think we can a lot better, can't have your goalie making such basic errors in big games, especially when it was the only difficult thing he was asked to do for whole game.

Agreed, a lot better out there and although its not the first priority it has to be something thats fixed next summer. A new manager wouldnt have him imo. he is thought off highly among fans though.

Agreed, a lot better out there and although its not the first priority it has to be something thats fixed next summer. A new manager wouldnt have him imo. he is thought off highly among fans though.

Don't know why, can't remember the last game where he made game saving saves.

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭king Henry 14

Wengers tactics/setup never changes. Any manager worth his salt will work out a way of negating arsenals attack and getting a result. Wenger never changes his approach to counter the opposition due to his arrogance and never will. We need fresh ideas and a manager who can set up his team in a certain way but who can adapt as the game develops. Wenger cant/won't do this and its not good enough. He's become a pale shadow of the manager he once was and it's all getting a bit embarrassing at this stage.

Don't know why, can't remember the last game where he made game saving saves.

He is a decent shot stopper but everything else he is below average imo. Seems like an Arsenal man but its not enough for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭Pierce_1991

James from Gunnerblog sums it up well here I think.

"Our games follow a predictable pattern where we'll dominate or play well at any rate and just concede to the first shot on target...it is unbelievable how frequently it's occurring."

He is a decent shot stopper but everything else he is below average imo. Seems like an Arsenal man but its not enough for me.

Yes a lot of them seem happy with the status quo.

Think that's part of the problem no leaders like Seaman and Lehmann between the sticks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

James from Gunnerblog sums it up well here I think.

"Our games follow a predictable pattern where we'll dominate or play well at any rate and just concede to the first shot on target...it is unbelievable how frequently it's occurring."

today the opposition didn't even have to get a shot on target to score their iirst!

And you'd know this how? Man City won the league with Hart who imo isn't really that great.

Szczesny is still only 24 and is probably in the top 5 GK in the league. Also what's with all the talk of Szez again? It wasn't his fault that Gibbs pretty much KO'd him.

we have had this debate before, I think Hart is a far better goalkeeper, you think Szczesny. No way is he a top 5 GK, top 10 is a fairer judgement. It was brought up that he is very shaky and offers little confidence so I agreed with that. Tbh i was just more envious of the quality of the goalie in the other goal rather than by Szc performance.

Yes a lot of them seem happy with the status quo.

Think that's part of the problem no leaders like Seaman and Lehmann between the sticks.

Its why we are where we are sadly.

• Advertisement

we have had this debate before, I think Hart is a far better goalkeeper, you think Szczesny. No way is he a top 5 GK, top 10 is a fairer judgement. It was brought up that he is very shaky and offers little confidence so I agreed with that. Tbh i was just more envious of the quality of the goalie in the other goal rather than by Szc performance.

Exactly swap the goalies and we win today.

Small margins but that's the difference between a top goalie and an average one.

To be honest I'd say Szczesny is amazed to be Arsenal no 1 at such a young age.

Exactly swap the goalies and we win today.

Small margins but that's the difference between a top goalie and an average one.

To be honest I'd say Szczesny is amazed to be Arsenal no 1 at such a young age.

free and fits the homegrown rule, Id say Wenger couldnt contain himself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,665 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

De Gea didn't even have to do anything spectacular today but he does the simple things well and has a cool head in big games - the complete opposite of Szcz imo.

free and fits the homegrown rule, Id say Wenger couldnt contain himself.

Well he did sign Ospina so maybe he's starting to see Szczesny is bang average.

And Wenger spending £3 million on a goalie is an enormous sum to him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭farna_boy

Soups123 wrote: »
    If you need me to answer anything bar the first question then your are seriously deluded about AW.

To answer your first Ramsey should not have started, he has been woeful for weeks

Well when a team dominates a game like we did today, I don't understand how you can say the tactics were wrong but that must be my delusion talking :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,984 ✭✭✭Soups123

Well when a team dominates a game like we did today, I don't understand how you can say the tactics were wrong but that must be my delusion talking :rolleyes:

Okay whatever

Watch from after goal number one and tell me the tactics were spot on.

At some point you will realise AW is the problem

• Advertisement

Name me 9 other league keepers then?

Apart from De Gea,Courtois,Cech and Hart who is better?

AW: "I don't know why we had nobody at the back at all. You could see we'd be punished."

I really really hope he didn't actually say that.

Team domintated game because we have better players and were fair quicker in our own half.

It is tactically obscene to leave 2 on 2 with Rooney and Di Maria and ashley young coming at you. It is telling he said he had no idea why it was 2 on 2, again it seems the plaers are starting to take things on themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

De Gea was hardly brilliant today. Pretty much everything was right at him.

I really really though this season would be different, the signing of sanchez was a statement. So much so that I backed us to win the league (looking pretty foolish now right!)
    15 points behind chelsea at this stage is kind of unbelievable. I wouldnt mind so much if we were at least performing someway decent but the game are all following the exact same style and pattern and there is something visibly wrong.
    I do honestly love Wenger, he has built an amazing legacy at the club and regardless of what happens next he will still be remembered in 100 years time as one of the greatest managers we and the premiership has ever had.
    But and its a pity that there has to be a but, he has taken AFC as far as he can. I understand why some are so loyal to him but he just isnt the man to take us forward anymore. He is 65 years old now and modern football seems to have passed him by. Tactics are outdated and see through. He cant last forever, 18 years is a huge tenure at any club.
    A fresh modern approach is needed, maybe not just with Wenger but the board also.

Todays result hasnt much to do with my stance, ive been saying this for ages. I crave those great nights, the fiery passionate battles with Utd, liverpool, Chelsea (when we could actually compete) the great european nights we had, they seem like a distant memory now

• Advertisement

So we might have the fifth best lucky us.

Tell me the last time Szczesny won us a game?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,665 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

omega man wrote: »
    AW: "I don't know why we had nobody at the back at all. You could see we'd be punished."

I really really hope he didn't actually say that.

Indeed he did, plus this gem: "Defensively, we were a bit naive."

I didnt say 9 were but just that he is in top 10 not top 5.

But the four you listed, Lloris, Begovic, Howard and Forster for me are all better. Then its a toss up between him and Krul for next best.

So we might have the fifth best lucky us.

Tell me the last time Szczesny won us a game?

Can't name any off hand but i remember it was Szczesny's performance against Leicester that got us a 1pt.

Can't name any off hand but i remember it was Szczesny's performance against Leicester that got us a 1pt.

At least he played well in one game this season so.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,695 ✭✭✭emmetlego

OK, I'm going to get absolutely slated for this, but I thought we played really well, moved the ball well, set up well, but conceded one very lucky goal to a shot that wasn't near being on target, and we had something like 5 or so at that stage.

As for utds 2nd, well, we had to push for the equaliser, better to lose by 2 and try, than lose by 1 and not!!! I consider us very very unlucky today, and sport is often like that.

Yes, I was very p1ssed off at the final whistle, but in hindsight, we did very well today, on every front bar where it counts. Overall, we are way too below that standard we should be at, and I'm not happy about that, but today, we should feel better about the bigger picture.

I've said it before, judge Wenger at season's end.

COYG

At least he played well in one game this season so.

Now you're just being stupid.

Give me examples where he's ****ed up cost us a game?

Now you're just being stupid.

Give me examples where he's ****ed up cost us a game?

Today

emmetlego wrote: »
    OK, I'm going to get absolutely slated for this, but I thought we played really well, moved the ball well, set up well, but conceded one very lucky goal to a shot that wasn't near being on target, and we had something like 5 or so at that stage.

As for utds 2nd, well, we had to push for the equaliser, better to lose by 2 and try, than lose by 1 and not!!! I consider us very very unlucky today, and sport is often like that.

Yes, I was very p1ssed off at the final whistle, but in hindsight, we did very well today, on every front bar where it counts. Overall, we are way too below that standard we should be at, and I'm not happy about that, but today, we should feel better about the bigger picture.

COYG

But the bigger picture is that this has been happening for years now. You'd sware some people in here only started watching arsenal this season. This is our worst start in 32 years. Think about that, not today's "performance". Something has gone very wrong at AFC and a somewhat better performance today ain't going to hide the fact.

emmetlego wrote: »

COYG

here the thing though. Was anyone really surprised about the result?
    Not really and thats the bigger picture for me

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement