Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2014/15

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,205 ✭✭✭Gringo180

:confused:

I'm pretty sure everyone who watched the game could see that Arsenal should have been out of sight at HT.

How many times do we say this tho? Nearly every game we miss chance after chance after chance and when the opposition get a chance or 2 they take it. Its so frustrating watching this team, only player that would of got into our team that won leagues under Wenger is Sanchez, we are a bang average team now, progress my B0ll0cks!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭jonneymendoza

We need lazy ozil to help us lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,752 ✭✭✭Mr Blobby

Now that everything's calmed down a little, i can give my overall thoughts on the game/future.

The match.
    Overall I thought we played quite well. We were all over them in the first half and it must be said that Wenger set us up perfectly in the 1st. That being said when we finally went a goal down you could start to see the cracks that we've all seen before. Rushing up the pitch when we had loads of time and were dominating the ball, not passing any notice to the constant counter attacks. There was simple no need for it and in the end cost us another goal and imo the match.

For me if we played that game another 9 times we'd win at least 8.. This was just one of those freak games. I also don't think this is the game that people should be calling for Wengers head. The Swansea and Fenerbahce games were much much worse.

The future.
    Its hard to see where we go from here. But one things for certain.. Nothing will be changed until January/Summer. We all know the positions that need strengthening so i'm not going to bother bringing that up. For me its time for a change in the summer and who we could get in don't know. But scraping top 4 is becoming very tiring.

My biggest worry though it when it does come time for change, i don't think the fans will do enough to get the message across. Can anyone here actually see us setting up a march or protest? I don't..

The only certainty right now is that we're in trouble and i really don't see Wenger being able to fix the problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭Pudders

Mr Blobby wrote: »
    Now that everything's calmed down a little, i can give my overall thoughts on the game/future.

The match.
    Overall I thought we played quite well. We were all over them in the first half and it must be said that Wenger set us up perfectly in the 1st. That being said when we finally went a goal down you could start to see the cracks that we've all seen before. Rushing up the pitch when we had loads of time and were dominating the ball, not passing any notice to the constant counter attacks. There was simple no need for it and in the end cost us another goal and imo the match.

For me if we played that game another 9 times we'd win at least 8.. This was just one of those freak games. I also don't think this is the game that people should be calling for Wengers head. The Swansea and Fenerbahce games were much much worse.

The future.
    Its hard to see where we go from here. But one things for certain.. Nothing will be changed until January/Summer. We all know the positions that need strengthening so i'm not going to bother bringing that up. For me its time for a change in the summer and who we could get in don't know. But scraping top 4 is becoming very tiring.

My biggest worry though it when it does come time for change, i don't think the fans will do enough to get the message across. Can anyone here actually see us setting up a march or protest? I don't..

The only certainty right now is that we're in trouble and i really don't see Wenger being able to fix the problem.

There was about 1,000 protesting straight after the match outside the shop and in front of the directors box last night calling for Wenger and Kroenke out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭wonga77

Kroenke couldnt give a fiddlers fcuk about what the fans want.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭wonga77

How we could do with another beast like this

https://twitter.com/Arsenal/status/536516861127839744

• Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭Pudders

wonga77 wrote: »
    Kroenke couldnt give a fiddlers fcuk about what the fans want.

Very true. And he won't get rid of Wenger because then he will be the target. All he wants is to suck cash out of the club. A parasite.

For me if we played that game another 9 times we'd win at least 8.. This was just one of those freak games. I also don't think this is the game that people should be calling for Wengers head.
    While Wenger can't put the ball in the net we've had these kind of "freak" results in comparison with the flow of games for an awfully long time now. It's not a coincidence.

Some will say we don't need a DM. :P
    Does anyone really expect a decent signing in January? The last few windows (went back to 2007) have seen Kallstrom (4 apps), Monreal, Eisfeld (2 apps), Henry (7 apps), Miyaichi (1 app), Wellington???, Galindo????, Sol Campbell (11 apps), Arshavin. I bolded the useful ones. :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

Gringo180 wrote: »
    How many times do we say this tho? Nearly every game we miss chance after chance after chance and when the opposition get a chance or 2 they take it. Its so frustrating watching this team, only player that would of got into our team that won leagues under Wenger is Sanchez, we are a bang average team now, progress my B0ll0cks!

I understand how often we are saying it, It wasn't an attempt to explain away the loss. I was replying to the poster who implied that Arsenal never looking like scoring.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,177 ✭✭✭Irish Aris

Just looking at the table Spurs and Liverpool could be level with us this evening. Assuming Southampton fall away (for once not looking like a sure bet) it's a 4-way scrap for 3rd and 4th between Spurs, Liverpool, United and ourselves. United have the quality up front to go on a devastating run at some stage and I fancy them for 3rd now. So ourselves, Spurs and Liverpool for 4th, not great.

Button, at the moment nothing suggests that Southampton will collapse.
    I wouldn't be surprised if they go on a decent run during their difficult December. We play them in ten days and, on current form, I wouldn't be sure of beating them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭emergingstar

I don't think we need to sack wenger

I think he will go himself in the summer im convinced he will

• Registered Users Posts: 4,696 ✭✭✭emmetlego

Reasons to be positive.

1) Overall, the performance was one of our better ones. Yes we couldn't buy a goal, but every team gets a couple of games like that a season. I'd say it was one of our better performances this season, and had we nicked a goal or two, we would have all been here today praising the turn around.

2) Giroud's return is a big plus for me. He's a good goalscorer. There was a visible lift in the team when he came on.

3) Sanchez. Needs no explanation.

4) Wenger now has money to spend, and I'd be confident that he will buy a proven CH and/or DMF in the Jan window.

So, if you take this all in context, there is a lot to be positive about.

I know there are negatives, but if we all took the doom and gloom approach, there would be busy phone lines in the Samaratins! And this place would be fierce boring if we all agreed on AW out!

emmetlego wrote: »
    Reasons to be positive.

4) Wenger now has money to spend, and I'd be confident that he will buy a proven CH and/or DMF in the Jan window.

If you look back back through the years you'd maybe think otherwise.

Can always count on Lewis Hamilton to deliver the goods unlike the rubbish of Arsenal.

Off topic I know but glad Hamilton won the title

• Registered Users Posts: 4,696 ✭✭✭emmetlego

If you look back back through the years you'd maybe think otherwise.

I know why you say that, but he didn't have the money he does now. No excuses. He is on record that Jan window has little value, but he's also on record saying that we are light in certain areas of the pitch. I expect bigger things!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

At least we're not losing 2-1 to Palace...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,665 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

efb wrote: »

Make that 3-1!

We would be losing too mate. At this rate 11 of us members could give arsenal a battering

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,354 ✭✭✭gebbel

Doesn't make me feel any better though. We're both seriously tactically naive.

We would be losing too mate. At this rate 11 of us members could give arsenal a battering

Can you play CDM?

• Advertisement

gebbel wrote: »
    Doesn't make me feel any better though. We're both seriously tactically naive.

I didn't see yesterday's game but the stats say arsenal didn't play too badly

It means liverpool won't go level on points

Irish Aris wrote: »
    Button, at the moment nothing suggests that Southampton will collapse.
    I wouldn't be surprised if they go on a decent run during their difficult December. We play them in ten days and, on current form, I wouldn't be sure of beating them.
    Are you saying I'm being too positive? :pac:
    Every year there's a team that starts well before fading away.
    Last year Southampton had 22 points after 11 matches (3rd to 8th).
    Year before West Brom had 26 after 13 matches (3rd to 8th).
    Year before Newcastle had 25 after 12 matches (3rd to 5th).
    Year before Bolton were 4th after 14 matches. (4th to 14th).
    Year before Villa had 22 from 13 matches (4th to 6th).
    Year before Villa and Hull and 20 from 10 matches (3rd and 4th to 6th and 17th).

Maybe they'll stay up there but if they do get 4th it's Arsenal's fault. Chelsea/City/United in that order are going to be top 3 unless Arsenal get the finger out.

Good thing Liverpool and Spurs are doing nothing this year. If we can't get 4th in that context then Wenger has to go tbh.

We played quite well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,354 ✭✭✭gebbel

True but didn't take our chances while dominating the game. Then were part unlucky and part naive in defending the cross that led to their fluke. Finally while pushing hard to draw level, forgot to defend and let them away with a simple counterattack and goal for Rooney.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭Pierce_1991

Never thought things would get so bad that I'd see Speroni claiming a cross and think to myself he wouldn't be a bad option for Arsenal

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

our game with Liverpool will be brilliant for the neutrals. Two teams that cant defend to save their lifes, I can see some hilarious mistakes already. Imagine one of us will probably get fourth. Do England deserve 4 spots for the champions league anymore?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

Don't think United will get top three.

Giroud's return is a massive boost for the team and will return some sembelance of balance to the team. I think we'll begin to see an upturn in form for the likes of Ramsey now that he's back.

Also thought Cazorla was very good yesterday.

• Advertisement

Are we back to the problem being having to walk it in? :pac:

Raf32 wrote: »
    our game with Liverpool will be brilliant for the neutrals. Two teams that cant defend to save their lifes, I can see some hilarious mistakes already. Imagine one of us will probably get fourth. Do England deserve 4 spots for the champions league anymore?

Probably finish 5:5

gebbel wrote: »
    True but didn't take our chances while dominating the game. Then were part unlucky and part naive in defending the cross that led to their fluke. Finally while pushing hard to draw level, forgot to defend and let them away with a simple counterattack and goal for Rooney.

A lot of teams get caught on the counter. And without Kos I'd imagine it's quite simple

Don't think United will get top three.

Top 4 definitely. Falcao, Mata, Di Maria, Van Persie and Rooney is too much quality with a manager like van Gaal at the helm to not make it in. By the end of the year it'll be obvious why I was annoyed at United getting van Gaal in, not just because of the improvements he'll make there but because it means we'll not be getting him in the next while.

Are you saying I'm being too positive? :pac:

you are indeed, you madman!!!! :D

(I don't recognize myself. From ultra positive to ultra negative!!! The joys of being a Gunner!!)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,333 ✭✭✭bad2dabone

The good news is they are rubbish at the front, at the back, and in midfield

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,081 ✭✭✭DenMan

If Arsenal and Liverpool drop into the Europa League they'd want to win it to get back into the Champions League for next season! Assuming both teams are out of the top four at the end of the season. Am I right with that guys?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

emmetlego wrote: »
    Reasons to be positive.

1) Overall, the performance was one of our better ones. Yes we couldn't buy a goal, but every team gets a couple of games like that a season. I'd say it was one of our better performances this season, and had we nicked a goal or two, we would have all been here today praising the turn around.

2) Giroud's return is a big plus for me. He's a good goalscorer. There was a visible lift in the team when he came on.

3) Sanchez. Needs no explanation.

I know there are negatives, but if we all took the doom and gloom approach, there would be busy phone lines in the Samaratins! And this place would be fierce boring if we all agreed on AW out!

I admire your positivity, but expecting it all to come right if we don't change manager is a bit far fetched. Wenger has always had money to spend, he chose not to. Why will he buy what we need in January when he hasn't for the last four windows? I respect people who stand by Wenger, it shows how highly he's thought of. But the fact is he's finished at this level.

DenMan wrote: »
    If Arsenal and Liverpool drop into the Europa League they'd want to win it to get back into the Champions League for next season! Assuming both teams are out of the top four at the end of the season. Am I right with that guys?

I think you are right. It changes from next season, so the winner of Europa League goes to the last play off round of Champions League.

At the moment it's quite a stretch that we will drop in Europa League. We need to lose both games and Anderlecht to win both games. Mathematically possible, but not very likely.
    For Liverpool it's down to the home game against Basel, for 2nd or 3rd in their group (and they need to get at least a point against Ludogorets).

Anyway, I don't think it is easy to win it. It might not have the quality of Champions League, still is a tough competition.

**** top 4 to be honest, doesn't make a difference if we finish 4th or 10th unless things change at the club, we are destined for continued failure. We will be battered by Dortmund during the week, they play with a certain hunger and passion that is sadly missing from this bunch of players.

The Liverpool thread is just like ours yesterday. Id be afraid they will pull the trigger first and end up getting Klopp or someone of that ilk while we end up with that fella Wenger wants to give it to.

• Advertisement

**** top 4 to be honest, doesn't make a difference if we finish 4th or 10th unless things change at the club, we are destined for continued failure. We will be battered by Dortmund during the week, they play with a certain hunger and passion that is sadly missing from this bunch of players.

I'm guessing you don't watch Bundesliga then :pac:

They have been unreal in Europe this year. The difference between us and them last time out was huge and expecting the same this week. At least their getting it right in Europe at least, we cant do it anywhere.

The Liverpool thread is just like ours yesterday. Id be afraid they will pull the trigger first and end up getting Klopp or someone of that ilk while we end up with that fella Wenger wants to give it to.

Lets be honest.. When Wenger does leave there will be plenty of managers who'd kill to take his place.

I dont no. But there a different animal altogether in the Champs Lge.

Lets be honest.. When Wenger does leave there will be plenty of managers who'd kill to take his place.

The longer he has it the more work he leaves to be done. he has to be gone for next season to give us a chance of finding the quality out there.

They have been unreal in Europe this year. The difference between us and them last time out was huge and expecting the same this week. At least their getting it right in Europe at least, we cant do it anywhere.

They battered us the last day and exposed us for the average naive side we are. It could and should of been at least 6 or 7 nil.

I dont no. But there a different animal altogether in the Champs Lge.

That's mainly because they've been found out.

They may have to alter their play style just a little, as the German teams have started to figure out their style of play. Just sit back and force them to pass in front of you and they will crumble.

Most of the teams in the CL don't have teams in their own division that play similar football to BVB. Because of that they struggle.

What annoys me most is that in our win against BVB last season we done exactly what you're supposed to do. Yet this season Wenger set us up to do the complete opposite.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

Just sit back and force them to pass in front of you and they will crumble.

May as well keep Arsene so.

Its Pep or Arsene for me if it matters.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,336 ✭✭✭Mr.Micro

They battered us the last day and exposed us for the average naive side we are. It could and should of been at least 6 or 7 nil.

We need to go against type then and just park the bus. Get the point we need, and maybe get a sneaky goal on the counter?

Mr.Micro wrote: »
    We need to go against type then and just park the bus. Get the point we need, and maybe get a sneaky goal on the counter?

I agree but it won't happen, Wenger only plays one way and that is all out attack. In this day and age its a criminal tactic to employ as its easy to defend against. You seen the way we were when 1-0 v Swansea, 7 players ahead of the ball with 3 at the back, its complete and utter madness. There is some very good coaches out there who I would feel would improve us, the likes of De Boer, Garcia, Klopp, and a man I rate very highly is Slavan Bilic. We have just gone so stale under Wenger.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement