Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2014/15

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭byrneg28

We'll know when they play City, Chelsea, Liverpool, Spurs and United away.
    We did panic at the first 3 above grounds last season conceding 17 times.

Already played Chelsea away

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

Wenger Knows Best ‏@wengerknowsbest 5m minutes ago
    Giroud is out on Wednesday with just a small didn't-think-he'd-be-fit-yet-so-didn't-register-him niggle. Little bit un-com-fort-able.

**** sake

http://metro.co.uk/2014/11/24/olivier-giroud-out-of-vital-clash-with-borussia-dortmund-after-arsenal-left-him-off-champions-league-registration-4960614/

Just in case anyone thinks thats a pisstake.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,456 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭Jaafa

keano_afc wrote: »

Here now lads things are bad but this is a joke. The man had a broken foot, it's almost unheard of to come back as quickly as he did. Why should he have been registered, taking the place of a fit player, on the off chance he makes it back for 1 maybe 2 games?

Guarantee if he had done it you'd see headlines in the dailymail along the lines of "Wenger goof! Names injured player in squad for champions league."

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

Jaafa wrote: »
    Here now lads things are bad but this is a joke. The man had a broken foot, it's almost unheard of to come back as quickly as he did. Why should he have been registered, taking the place of a fit player, on the off chance he makes it back for 1 maybe 2 games?

Guarantee if he had done it you'd see headlines in the dailymail along the lines of "Wenger goof! Names injured player in squad for champions league."

Abou Diaby is in the squad.

Diaby is in the squad FFS. And Campbell for keeping the bench warm.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,216 ✭✭✭Looper007

Was watching the Liverpool game in the golf club yesterday and overheard a few lads discussing the Arsenal team. One lad saying that we are very soft and easy to beat now and nobody fears us compared to when we used to go 1 up and win.

Hard to disagree with him.
    Nice football is easy on the eye but no good if you're losing, i'd prefer winning ugly any day.

You can say that about every big club in The premier league apart from Chelsea. It's been a disgrace to be fair. Stop Tayto you be complaining if they were playing ugly and winning week in week out :pac:. No fan is ever pleased. You can play easy on eye football as long as you have the steel and we're lacking the steel for a few years now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭Nemeses2050

It seems Vermaelen won't be playing this season...If only Arsene had bought his replacement...

"We are worried for him and the medical staff are evaluating what's best," said sports director Andoni Zubizarreta.
    "We don't know if Vermaelen is now going to need surgery. We are studying the situation." - BBCsport.

Diaby is in the squad FFS. And Campbell for keeping the bench warm.

I still don't get Wenger's dislike of Campbell, it boggles the mind. He could do a great job for us. Is Diaby even fit?.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Looper007 wrote: »
    I still don't get Wenger's dislike of Campbell, it boggles the mind. He could do a great job for us. Is Diaby even fit?.

he was when the champions league squad was selected - whereas Giroud wasn't expected back 'till January

• Advertisement

It seems Vermaelen won't be playing this season...If only Arsene had bought his replacement...

"We are worried for him and the medical staff are evaluating what's best," said sports director Andoni Zubizarreta.
    "We don't know if Vermaelen is now going to need surgery. We are studying the situation." - BBCsport.

Poor guy he was never the same player after that first serious injury. 15 million was a great deal looking at it now pity as you said it wasn't spent on another centre back

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,192 ✭✭✭Ken Shamrock

You can say that about every big club in The premier league apart from Chelsea. It's been a disgrace to be fair. Stop Tayto you be complaining if they were playing ugly and winning week in week out :pac:.No fan is ever pleased.You can play easy on eye football as long as you have the steel and we're lacking the steel for a few years now.

I was pleased for a very long time, and I'm sure the utd fans were too, and Chelsea and Barca etc etc, stupid statement really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,727 ✭✭✭✭Godge

keano_afc wrote: »

I mentioned this on the thread at the time last September when he was left out and nobody complained then because everyone believed he wouldn't be back until January.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

Campbell was disappointing in the League Cup match he played in.

I was pleased for a very long time, and I'm sure the utd fans were too, and Chelsea and Barca etc etc, stupid statement really.

I'm sure they be moaning about not scoring more goals or something, trust me they do. Not a stupid statement at all. Most fans from the bigger successful complain.

I'm sure they be moaning about not scoring more goals or something, trust me they do. Not a stupid statement at all. Most fans from the bigger successful complain.
    When teams achieve their goal or over achieve their fans are happy...mostly. Arsenal come 1st in the PL? Would we be happy? yes. We come 4th? No. If Stoke came 4th would their fans be happy? Of course. It's all relative

Fans will always complain about small stupid stuff but in the bigger picture fans will be happy with success. An FA Cup for us? Pffft not major especially considering the wait and the manner in which we one. An FA Cup for Sheffield Wednesday, best year ever for the fans.

Arsenal fans are more than entitled to complain and moan because we have been starved of the success we are more than capable of getting. Underachieving, poor decisions, bad luck, it doesn't matter it's always the same.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,665 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

efb wrote: »
    Campbell was disappointing in the League Cup match he played in.

That was one game. There's been a number of players that have been disappointing in every game they've played in but they still keep getting picked.

That was one game. There's been a number of players that have been disappointing in every game they've played in but they still keep getting picked.

Im sure wenger sees them in training, we dont

When teams achieve their goal or over achieve their fans are happy...mostly. Arsenal come 1st in the PL? Would we be happy? yes. We come 4th? No. If Stoke came 4th would their fans be happy? Of course. It's all relative

Fans will always complain about small stupid stuff but in the bigger picture fans will be happy with success. An FA Cup for us? Pffft not major especially considering the wait and the manner in which we one. An FA Cup for Sheffield Wednesday, best year ever for the fans.

Arsenal fans are more than entitled to complain and moan because we have been starved of the success we are more than capable of getting. Underachieving, poor decisions, bad luck, it doesn't matter it's always the same.

BIzzaire sense of entitlement

• Advertisement

Im sure wenger sees them in training, we dont

Would it not be an idea to pick the players based on their performances in competitive games rather than training?

Would it not be an idea to pick the players based on their performances in competitive games rather than training?

So in Campell's competitive game he was poor- ergo not considered

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,410 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Hah, the Invincibles were considered underachievers by many at the time, back to back league titles and winning a CL were the mark of a proper big club back then. Human nature to find something to complain about sure :D

So in Campell's competitive game he was poor- ergo not considered

So that's him ruled out then based on one game? Whereas Ramsey has been brutal in every game but keeps getting picked. There's no consistency.

So that's him ruled out then based on one game? Whereas Ramsey has been brutal in every game but keeps getting picked. There's no consistency.

I wouldn't say brutal, and we have been ok up front. Welbeck doing well and Alexis on fire

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Hah, the Invincibles were considered underachievers by many at the time, back to back league titles and winning a CL were the mark of a proper big club back then. Human nature to find something to complain about sure :D

Weren't underachievers to me. Disappointed about the CL sure, but i am disappointed with the CL every year.

• Advertisement

That's why I said wenger would see them in training, you got to be putting your hand up, Campbell doesn't appear to be

What would your starting XI be atm?

What would your starting XI be atm?

For Wednesday:

Szcz (if fit)
    Bellerin Chambers Mert Gibbs
    Arteta Ramsey
    Ox Sanchez Campbell
    Welbeck

Would drop Ramsey if Jack was fit but it doesn't look likely. For WBA, I'd bench Welbeck and start Giroud, Sanchez has to get a rest at some stage too or he'll be burnt out by Christmas.

For Wednesday:

Szcz (if fit)
    Arteta Ramsey
    Ox Sanchez Campbell
    Welbeck

Would drop Ramsey if Jack was fit but it doesn't look likely. For WBA, I'd bench Welbeck and start Giroud, Sanchez has to get a rest at some stage too or he'll be burnt out by Christmas.

Give him a rest with Rosicky coming in and getting some game time. Miss his intelligence and work rate.

I'd play roisky

• Advertisement

BIzzaire sense of entitlement

Nothing bizarre about it.
    We have to ask ourselves this question - are we a big club or not?
    I believe we are and always were so then we need to achieve and not rely on excuses.
    If you think we are not then I understand your comment.

Schez
    Bell chambo Mert gibbs
    Arteta
    Ox Ramsey roisky
    Sanchez
    Welbeck

Nothing bizarre about it.
    We have to ask ourselves this question - are we a big club or not?
    I believe we are and always were so then we need to achieve and not rely on excuses.
    If you think we are not then I understand your comment.

I believe we cannot compete financially with City or Cheles (who have built a great team) so finishing ahead of the rest is impressive for me

For Wednesday:

Szcz (if fit)
    Arteta Ramsey
    Ox Sanchez Campbell
    Welbeck

I'd agree with that BUT we won't see that team. It will be the same back four again with Cazorla replacing the injured Jack. Chez should start.

The problem with either team is that we have no leader. Nobody to dish out the orders and keep them calm.

I believe we cannot compete financially with City or Cheles (who have built a great team) so finishing ahead of the rest is impressive for me

I think we can compete now with our finances BUT even with all the resources in the world we are mentally weak under Wenger. He hasn't got what it takes anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭Pudders

Our wage bill is bigger or at least equal to Chelsea's.

Pudders wrote: »

We pay similar to Chelsea but achieve a lot less.
    http://www.theguardian.com/news/datablog/2014/apr/15/manchester-city-best-paid-team-in-global-salary-survey-compare

• Registered Users Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭Nemeses2050

Tayto, if you scroll down further it gives you the average earning of players for last 5 years. City are 4th and Chelsea are 5th, we're not on that list....

so yes, we're paying similar to Chelsea but I guess that's only in the last couple of years...it's universally accepted that we couldn't compete with them financially in the last 10 years....Only Now we're getting up there.

Tayto, if you scroll down further it gives you the average earning of players for last 5 years. City are 4th and Chelsea are 5th, we're not on that list....

so yes, we're paying similar to Chelsea but I guess that's only in the last couple of years...it's universally accepted that we couldn't compete with them financially in the last 10 years....Only Now we're getting up there.

The surveys only started in 2010. By next year we will probably be paying more than Chelsea as the gap has narrowed but in football terms it's huge.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

Just saw the highlights of the game there again. Its even more gutting now. When we went down 1-0, either the players dont listen to him or his tactics are a joke which doesnt really bode well whatever one it is. I cant see how people can defend him anymore, I used to for years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,984 ✭✭✭Soups123

Raf32 wrote: »
    Just saw the highlights of the game there again. Its even more gutting now. When we went down 1-0, either the players dont listen to him or his tactics are a joke which doesnt really bode well whatever one it is. I cant see how people can defend him anymore, I used to for years.

Thats what I said on the day, one of the two things happened either one is as equally concerning

Soups123 wrote: »
    Thats what I said on the day, one of the two things happened either one is as equally concerning

Someone I follow on Twitter said he re-watched the game and that he clearly saw Wenger urging the defence to go forward after we conceded the first. Now I don't know if that's correct but it would seem at odds with Wenger's post match comment that he didn't know why we had nobody back defending for their second goal. Must re-watch it again when I get a chance.

Soups123 wrote: »

Yeah but that doesn't really matter he was just unlucky, he clearly knows what he's doing with 3 pl titles under his belt.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,333 ✭✭✭bad2dabone

yipeeeee wrote: »
    Lads let's just get behind the team and manager now, nothing is going to change at least this season.

We have players coming back, we can turn it around.

Agreed. 100%

Pudders wrote: »

For the first time in 10 years since they offloaded a lad of high earners last season

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

So we apparently forgot to register Giroud for the CL game tomorrow, wtf

jester77 wrote: »
    So we apparently forgot to register Giroud for the CL game tomorrow, wtf

We didn't forget in fairness.
    Wenger thought Giroud would be out for much longer as per the medical advice he received so he didn't register him for the group stages.
    It's not a mistake as he acted on the information at hand.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭wonga77

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭jonneymendoza

yipeeeee wrote: »
    Lads let's just get behind the team and manager now, nothing is going to change at least this season.

We have players coming back, we can turn it around.

Turn around what? we aint winning the league so we can forget that.

No chance in the CL either. our best bet is FA Cup and top 4 which is not progress after last season.

Be grateful that a lot of teams in the league are playing crap now else top 4 finish would be a big question mark too

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,696 ✭✭✭emmetlego

Turn around what? we aint winning the league so we can forget that.

No chance in the CL either. our best bet is FA Cup and top 4 which is not progress after last season.

Be grateful that a lot of teams in the league are playing crap now else top 4 finish would be a big question mark too

Just throwing this out there, I don't necessarily believe it… I heard a manager (can't remember which one) talking about the standard of all the lower clubs being much better this year in the PL, and that's why there are more of the perceived bigger teams dropping points you wouldn't expect to.

Thoughts please.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement