Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2014/15

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,984 ✭✭✭Soups123

And about time too. This will annoy him and maybe wake him up. He has become far too comfortable wallowing in his mediocrity.

Agreed, a lot feel fan power at Arsenal has no impact but it really will. if fans force it he will change himself to try get better or the board will feel the pressure and change him.

Fans will get listened to in the end it just may take a little longer at Arsenal

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,192 ✭✭✭Ken Shamrock

I missed the "t" and nearly had a heart attack thinking Lauren had just come out of retirement!

Would have been made even more believable with the dailymail link below it too!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭brianregan09

Lauren would be too bad of an option at the moment lol

• Registered Users Posts: 4,696 ✭✭✭emmetlego

Anyone hear anything about the war of words between Wenger and Usmanov? (Spell check please)

Sounds like the knives are out for him!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

emmetlego wrote: »
    Anyone hear anything about the war of words between Wenger and Usmanov? (Spell check please)

No, haven't heard - who are the knives out for ? Usamov or Wenger

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,207 ✭✭✭maximoose

Usmanov said yeserday Wenger needs to admit his mistakes and action on them

Wenger today:
    Wenger rejected talk of crisis with the Arsenal camp, and also criticised Usmanov for making his feelings public rather than speaking to him directly.

"I've shown I can take criticism in the 18 years I have been here," Wenger said. "Everyone has the right to an opinion. We must show solidarity.

"When we have something to say to each other, we should do it face to face. We don’t need to go to the newspapers."

Nothing huge really.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,664 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hyzepher

Usmanov is pandering to the fans - suggesting we need strength in every area of the pitch. It may be true but no need to air it in public unless you have an ulterior motive

Hyzepher wrote: »
    Usmanov is pandering to the fans - suggesting we need strength in every area of the pitch. It may be true but no need to air it in public unless you have an ulterior motive

He's simply stating facts, he's not pandering, he's echoing with most fans feel.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,410 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

It isn't the first time he's done it either.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭Pierce_1991

He's simply stating facts, he's not pandering, he's echoing with most fans feel.

He's stirring shíte is what he's doing, thats all he ever does. He never has anything to say when things are going well. Only ever goes public with his opinions when the team is at its lowest.

• Advertisement

He's stirring shíte is what he's doing, thats all he ever does. He never has anything to say when things are going well. Only ever goes public with his opinions when the team is at its lowest.

Because that is when something is wrong??

• Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭Pudders

Usmanov is really getting the digs in at Kroenke. Usmanov wanted to open the cheque book before FFP and was prepared to bankroll it.

Either way, I don't like it. I know things aren't going well, but you should keep certain things 'in house'…

I've a sneaky feeling we'll beat Dortmund, I'm very encouraged by the display versus Utd. Especially if Kos plays!

Because that is when something is wrong??

But you don't want one of your main shareholders sticking the boot in at times when there's enough criticism coming in from outside sources. I'm not saying I support Wenger, but if he's not getting the sack(which we all know he's not) then the best thing the club can do is present a united front. Usmanov has no interest in doing this and just wants to further his own case for taking over. It was the same when we sold RVP I think, wasn't it around that time he released some sort of open letter to the board? Stuff like that should be kept in house as has been said. There are very few owners or part-owners of clubs that will criticise their manager in the press.

But you don't want one of your main shareholders sticking the boot in at times when there's enough criticism coming in from outside sources. I'm not saying I support Wenger, but if he's not getting the sack(which we all know he's not) then the best thing the club can do is present a united front. Usmanov has no interest in doing this and just wants to further his own case for taking over. It was the same when we sold RVP I think, wasn't it around that time he released some sort of open letter to the board? Stuff like that should be kept in house as has been said. There are very few owners or part-owners of clubs that will criticise their manager in the press.

I'm not sure, I'm not one for club politics but I'm happy that someone inside the club is speaking some sort of sense and isn't pretending that everything is ok, whether he has ulterior motives or not I dont really care.

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭Paj

you know where i stand on wenger, but the only time we hear from usmanov is when we're being rubbish. hes a populist.

He is definately playing to the gallery, when we were all blaming the baord he was mouthing off about them and bigging up Arsene as the main man.

Now the fans are rounding on Arsene he is mouthing on him. What he says in consistent with what we are all thinking but its definately a playing to the gallery.

I'd love his money but I dont want him in control of the club

• Registered Users Posts: 4,940 ✭✭✭omega man

Paj wrote: »
    you know where i stand on wenger, but the only time we hear from usmanov is when we're being rubbish. hes a populist.

The guy owns 30% of the club and can't even get a seat on the board. As far as I'm concerned he can say what he wants when he wants.

omega man wrote: »
    The guy owns 30% of the club and can't even get a seat on the board. As far as I'm concerned he can say what he wants when he wants.

In the current model things would be a lot worse if he was on the board. if you want to go with a man like him it will only work with full ownership. I don't know a lot about him but we have worked hard to get the financial model we have.

What we need is the right people to come in and run the model we have now to benefit the on field performance, we are flush with cash now we just wont spend it competitively

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,473 ✭✭✭Roddy23

Reus is out of tomorrow nights clash anyway. Should be looking to beat them. Think we will. Need to have 2nd place wrapped up before having to rely on going to Galatasary looking not to lose in the last game.

http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/football/30174146

Roddy23 wrote: »
    Reus is out of tomorrow nights clash anyway. Should be looking to beat them. Think we will. Need to have 2nd place wrapped up before having to rely on going to Galatasary looking not to lose in the last game.

http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/football/30174146

It would be very un arsenal of us to do that. Can see us losing and getting a last minute equaliser against gala to qualify.

• Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭Pudders

I'd prefer to get in to the uefa cup as we have a better chance of winning that and it would qualify for the cl next year if we did win it. We'll get Real Madrid or Bayern in the next round of the cl and get tonked sadly.

I actually fancy our chances tomorrow night. Does anyone remember a few years back we played Burnley at home and Bendtner missed absolutely loads of chances, had so many opportunities put on a plate for him and just couldn't finish anything. Then on the Wednesday night we were playing Porto in a round of 16 game and he scored a hat trick. Thats what I think it'll be like for Arsenal this week. We are Nicklas Bendtner.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,456 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

emmetlego wrote: »

http://metro.co.uk/2014/11/25/arsenal-shareholder-alisher-usmanov-slams-arsene-wenger-and-claims-boss-doesnt-learn-from-mistakes-4961398/

It would be very un arsenal of us to do that. Can see us losing and getting a last minute equaliser against gala to qualify.

As frustating as we are at the minute we are more than capable of beating Dortmond at home, thats if we show up and play to our ability.

• Advertisement

Soups123 wrote: »
    As frustating as we are at the minute we are more than capable of beating Dortmond at home, thats if we show up and play to our ability.

Of course we are, we were also more than capable of beating utd,anderlecht,swansea and hull.

Of course we are, we were also more than capable of beating utd,anderlecht,swansea and hull.

The point being we can atleast go in with realistic hope if not expectation

The point being we can atleast go in with realistic hope if not expectation

I always go in with realistic hope, that's why I get so angry when we come up short.

In the current model things would be a lot worse if he was on the board. if you want to go with a man like him it will only work with full ownership. I don't know a lot about him but we have worked hard to get the financial model we have.

What we need is the right people to come in and run the model we have now to benefit the on field performance, we are flush with cash now we just wont spend it competitively

Agree soups but my point was that in fairness to the man he's invested a lot into the club and he has every right to voice an opinion on all things arsenal.

Agree soups but my point was that in fairness to the man he's invested a lot into the club and he has every right to voice an opinion on all things arsenal.

Besides that someone needs to be getting the message across to Wenger. He is far too cocky with the media and fans so Usmanov criticising him is good. Time he heard the message.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,333 ✭✭✭bad2dabone

Watching City v bayern with my four yr old daughter and nasri gets the ball:
    "he used to play for arsenal "
    "why did he leave?"
    "City gave him lots of money to play for them. Then he said bad things about arsenal "
    now she's genuinely shocked, her little face is aghast
    "He said bad things about the gooners!?!?" she says in a really theatrical way
    "Yep"
    now she's pissed off, And it hits her:
    "but we're Gooners!"
    "i know"
    "What's his name daddy?"
    "nasri"
    "well I do not like nasri! not one bit!"

and lo and behold samir nasri's gooner fanclub has a new member

bad2dabone wrote: »
    Watching City v bayern with my four yr old daughter and nasri gets the ball:
    "he used to play for arsenal "
    "why did he leave?"
    "City gave him lots of money to play for them. Then he said bad things about arsenal "
    now she's genuinely shocked, her little face is aghast
    "He said bad things about the gooners!?!?" she says in a really theatrical way
    "Yep"
    now she's pissed off, And it hits her:
    "but we're Gooners!"
    "i know"
    "What's his name daddy?"
    "nasri"
    "well I do not like nasri! not one bit!"

and lo and behold samir nasri's gooner fanclub has a new member

Ha, just had the same conversation with my son about Sagna! One has to chose ones words very carefully ;-)

Ha, just had the same conversation with my son about Sagna! One has to chose ones words very carefully ;-)

Did you tell him how good he used to be at defensive headers ?

That was an awful attempt - what has Pellegrini done to him?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

Less distain for Sanga tbf

I had a row with the cat about Arsene...
    More lives than me she said....

I live alone :'(

efb wrote: »

no fights over the remote control at least - I missed the first 2 goals of the City game there!

greendom wrote: »
    no fights over the remote control at least - I missed the first 2 goals of the City game there!

I have two 42" TV's - not going to carry it up the stairs am I!

greendom wrote: »

I missed goals 2&3 but I'm watching Barça on sky Go. Got split screen on TV- go full screen for goals

• Registered Users Posts: 6,333 ✭✭✭bad2dabone

efb wrote: »

Even your cat wants arsene to go! :-(

bad2dabone wrote: »
    Even your cat wants arsene to go! :-(

What does she know! But in her defense 9 years is a lifetime!

• Advertisement

Aguero - now there's a striker. 3 chances, 3 goals. Imagine him and Sanchez together up front.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭symbolic

Aguero - now there's a striker. 3 chances, 3 goals. Imagine him and Sanchez together up front.

He only had three chances? Legend!

Brilliant blog:
    http://arseblog.com/2014/11/limits-supposed-to-be-the-sky/

Very articulate, and some interesting stats.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭Sheepy99

He's a freak to be fair. Probably the most clinical of all the top strikers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,205 ✭✭✭Gringo180

1. he is average, stats and actual performance backed this up. he hasnt set the world alight at arsenal

2. Yes he has got a lot to do with the big defeats. lacklust passing and poor cover for defence is two prime examples.

3. I am not an armchair fan and i go to a lot of the big matches at the emirates. Just for comparison sakes, i went to the united game at the emirates last season and this season.

Last season Ozil was pants. lazy and held the ball far too long whilst sanchez was always trying to track back and help in defending. Always looking to get into space and in general showed more effort then lazy Ozil at the same damm fixture.

When you watch on TV, the camera followes the ball but live in the actual game u see a lot more.

Eeverytime i see ozil play he barely moves 10 yard with or without the ball. He is proper lazy and doesnt help in defending at all and loses the ball very often.

He is average at best and arsenal dont/wont miss him as he would have made little difference in the past few matches

In his first season in English football last season he had 14 assists and 7 goals in 40 games, so in other words he either created or scored a goal in every other game, not bad for his first season. Compare it to Wilshere who had 5 goals and 5 assists in 35 games last season, Cazorla chipped in with 9 assists and 6 goals in 46 games, do you see the trend here? Ozil is our best creative midfielder by far, he should be played centrally beside either Ramsey or Wilshere and stopped been shoved out wide to accommodate them 2 in the team because he is wasted out on the wing. With all due respect if you think Ozil is average at best I would really question your footballing knowledge.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭wonga77

What an amazing striker aguero is. So clinical. You just knew he was going to score each time. What did city pay for him?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,665 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

wonga77 wrote: »
    What an amazing striker aguero is. So clinical. You just knew he was going to score each time. What did city pay for him?

Around £35m I think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭Jaafa

wonga77 wrote: »

£35 million

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

Speaking of amazing strikers I see Yaya is probably starting for us tomorrow :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭wonga77

This is a terribly repetitive post at this stage but it was another excellent display by cesc tonight. I think passing up the chance to buy him is/and will prove to be one of Wenger's greatest mistakes

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement