Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2014/15

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,216 ✭✭✭Looper007

Raf32 wrote: »
    Got to agree with this here. Credit where its due, Wenger lined the team out to counteract the opposition and did it very well. Spot on with his tactics tonight. Would love to see some consistency out of him though.

This is my problem with Wenger over the last 9 years or so, he usually has a god awful two or three month period with us dropping points like crazy (it was usually during December and January but its been at the start for us this one) but his teams would usually go on a great run usually dropping points to the rivals and end up finishing 4th and going out of the Champions league after a awful first leg but a very good second when all is lost. It happen again this season with Wenger's usually B.S lines about 4th been a great position.

Now now now, take it easy

Well lets put it this way he's been one of our best signings in god knows how long. I say that be better.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,696 ✭✭✭emmetlego

Arteta's calf… FFS!!!

Might force his hand in Jan now!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Arteta's done his calf. Hopefully just a matter of weeks!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭symbolic

Delighted for Wenger (I'm a big fan..).

Thought ye played great on Saturday against Man U and great again tonight.

Great club, with a bit of class about them.

Injuries are a killer. Roll on January for a few months injury free ? :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭Jaafa

• Registered Users Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭emergingstar

We're going to miss arteta big time were a different team when he plays he sets everything up

It has been reported before that Arteta's calf is an aging footballer's injury that is never going to go away....it's all about managing it now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

In Arsene we always trust!!!

Basil3 wrote: »
    It has been reported before that Arteta's calf is an aging footballer's injury that is never going to go away....it's all about managing it now.

We are now going to have to rely on Flamini till Jan. That's a worry

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,456 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

efb wrote: »
    In Arsene we always trust!!!

Ah now. One swallow and all that ...

SS1 now!!!

I agree this result doesn't paper over the cracks that we're not going to win the league or Champions league and we're going to be fighting for 4th again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭yipeeeee

Ffs every game is two injuries.

Sick to death at this stage.

When is schez back??

We look a better team without wilshere

there have been many summers...

Quelle surprise...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

Ramsey looks better too. I hope Jack gets used to being a very important squad member as cant see him starting as part of a successful Arsenal team for a while.

Raf32 wrote: »
    Ramsey looks better too. I hope Jack gets used to being a very important squad member as cant see him starting as part of a successful Arsenal team for a while.

I wouldn't say that now

But at the min he don't fit in

Hope the ox retains his place when (if) everyone is fit

Think he is on the verge of becoming a big big player

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭wonga77

wonga77 wrote: »
    right, ive gone one better
    Sanogo to score first and us to win 2-1 is 45/1 and sanogo first goalscorer and us to win 2-0 is 75/1

Thats not greedy at all...

borat_great_success.jpg

• Advertisement

I wouldn't say that now

But at the min he don't fit in

Hope the ox retains his place when (if) everyone is fit

Think he is on the verge of becoming a big big player

Agree fully, I've seen him grow as a player especially in the last few weeks. Immensely so. Tonight he was unlucky not to score, and his overall shift was one of tireless work…

On that note, did anyone cop how often Alexis was back in the LB spot tonight?? I'd go gay for him hey!!

wonga77 wrote: »
    borat_great_success.jpg

Thats why you're Wonga!

emmetlego wrote: »
    Agree fully, I've seen him grow as a player especially in the last few weeks. Immensely so. Tonight he was unlucky not to score, and his overall shift was one of tireless work…

On that note, did anyone cop how often Alexis was back in the LB spot tonight?? I'd go gay for him hey!!

feck off, he's mine!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,665 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

Hopefully the fact that we closed the game out tonight will demonstrate to the players just how effective it is to sit on a lead and to defend it in numbers as a team. Same again against WBA would be nice :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭Pierce_1991

Just looking at the current group standings throughout Europe. Wouldn't it be really nice to draw a Porto or a Leverkusen in the round of 16, of course we all know it'll be Madrid or some such super power. I think Wenger alluded to it in the interview, said something like we need a 'new guy' to do the draw. It'd just be nice to get a little bit further in this competition.
    If we play like we did tonight, moving the ball into the final third quickly and then dropping back to two banks of 4 with Alexis and a striker hassling we can do well against the good teams. Just a LITTLE bit more awareness, thats all I ask!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭byrneg28

Just looking at the current group standings throughout Europe. Wouldn't it be really nice to draw a Porto or a Leverkusen in the round of 16, of course we all know it'll be Madrid or some such super power. I think Wenger alluded to it in the interview, said something like we need a 'new guy' to do the draw. It'd just be nice to get a little bit further in this competition.
    If we play like we did tonight, moving the ball into the final third quickly and then dropping back to two banks of 4 with Alexis and a striker hassling we can do well against the good teams. Just a LITTLE bit more awareness, thats all I ask!

Yeah I was looking at it the other day its 50/50

Potential for

Atletico
    Real
    Bayern

PSG
    Porto
    Leverkusen

I personally would take any of them apart from Bayern and Real, think we could manage to beat Atletico over two legs if we played with a decent tactical mindset

woud love leverkusen or porto though

• Registered Users Posts: 8,984 ✭✭✭Soups123

I would only have confidence against Porto and Leverkusen

The rest would take us easy enough

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,277 ✭✭✭batistuta9

emmetlego wrote: »
    Arteta's calf… FFS!!!

Might force his hand in Jan now!
    greendom wrote: »
    Arteta's done his calf. Hopefully just a matter of weeks!
    batistuta9 wrote: »
    if you're into injuries ABW done podcast last week on the injuries with the guy (dom) who's works rehab, strength & conditioning with athletes - so someone who knows what they're talking about.

out of 10 they reviewed, that's the first hour, they said only 2 could've been prevented by the club - arteta because of his problem with the calf, dom reckoned it's known as old man injury and is pretty much guaranteed to be recurring, can't mind who else - & one 50/50

if your man knew that was going to be happening surely the medical team at one of the richest sport clubs in the world would've diagnosed it & an alternative sought.

a real dampner on the evening

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

efb wrote: »
    Lol

:o

He's still sh*t though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭Spanish Johnny

Been off the grid for a while owing to travel and despair I guess and I will get slated for this but also for the sheer negativity on this page going back a while.

I’m a Wenger fan…no shock there to some. I am also a Wenger critic because it’s possible to be both although you wouldn’t know it on here at times. It seems you have to be extreme and polarised for some reason. I fear the reaction after this but it’s good to see some logical posts still coming out from Greendom and the like.

I think it’s best to explain one’s expectations from the start but I stated one of the last times I posted that I had no League expectations again this year. Chelsea, Man City and Man United were that far ahead of us for years and now we are on parity financially. However this is the start…not the end. For people to think that it’s the switch of a button is crazy. I look at the Arsenal finances and always have done and anyone with a degree of time and intelligence would tell you the limits the stadium put on us. I know the same typical hyperbolic posters will dismiss this as the usual dross but we are now at the beginning point of competing with those teams rather than immediate equality. That’s why I believe the man that sacrificed his coaching career for one club deserves the chance over three years to compete again.

I have looked at these posts that ‘we are Arsenal’…we are London’s premier Club….we don’t settle for this!! I say yes…you are correct…but do you know who made this history….do you actually look back and follow this team. It is littered with barren spells and final heartbreak. Don’t condescend as if we have had an illustrious history with no shameful defeats pre Wenger. We have 11 FA Cups. 5 of those belong to the management of Arsene Wenger. Without that we are West Brom, Everton and Chelsea. We are level on top with Manchester United. 3 League’s in 6 years under Wenger have only improved our standing. He will only be second to Herbert Chapman in the list of greats.

Our current woes are well documented. I am absolutely furious about our defensive situation and lack of signings. I am p***ed off about it beyond belief. By the same logic Mourinho cost the Chelsea the title last season for a failure to sign a striker in January. We should have had one more centre back and I would have liked a new ‘DM’ as is the rage. Am I p***ed...yes! Is it a sackable offence IMO...No. I do believe efforts were made on both sides…didn’t work out and so they were no panic buys. Still frustrating!

However I do like the coming together of this team. As mentioned earlier I live in the real world where building occurs and instant success because you want it, does not exist. And we are building. I have looked at a few posts back here now and it’s hilarious to watch the clueless slate Wilshere, others saying the Ox not doing it for them, Monreal is hopeless, Arteta is sh*t, turning on Ramsay again, Mert is passed it…some criticism of Gibbs from some goin back a while…Welbeck a reject…hated Giroud but now we miss him….invalidates a lot of the loudest voices on here. Pure reactionary rubbish and anger and despair about their own feelings and the little bit of slagging they get from their friends down the local. And they lead the charge against Wenger.

As for poor Sanogo…feel free to check my posts. Anyone with a bias free persuasion would see the potential the guy has and the influence he had against Liverpool, Wigan and Hull in the FA Cup final last year in changing those games yet many of the same sheep ran with the no goals craic and again used it to beat Wenger. Watchin all those games last season it was easy to see what a better front man he is than Podolski who has seemed to warm his way into the heart of the easily flattered by his affectionate tweets and Instagram pictures. Absolute fact is every time he starts for us on the left or up front our performances have been poor attacking wise. A superman to get a goal and bring on but not for the balance or performance of the team as is easy to see.

Furthermore …there is only one reason Mesut Ozil and Alexis Sanchez are at Arsenal and as much as many here like to bury their head in the sand…… it’s Arsene Wenger. Ignore that as ever in yer arguments. Other than that…well we are Liverpool.

I look forward to our ultimate selection headache….Ozil, Walcott, Welbeck, Wilshere and most of all Koscielny back.

I await the typical comeback from the warriors on here about acceptance of failure, 4th, bring in Klopp, Wenger has lost it…

As I said at the start anyone expecting a title challenge this year seems a bit naive to me relative to other team’s situation. We are now on parity and are competing from here but why people think it will all happen in a year to me is bizarre. We need extraordinary improvements. Without doubt…let’s sack him in the morning so…..lets enter the world of Spur’s, Everton and Liverpool.

But I guess I am happy with 4th every year and am a Wenger apologist:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭Ed Winchester

Great post Johnny.

Been off the grid for a while owing to travel and despair I guess and I will get slated for this but also for the sheer negativity on this page going back a while.

I’m a Wenger fan…no shock there to some. I am also a Wenger critic because it’s possible to be both although you wouldn’t know it on here at times. It seems you have to be extreme and polarised for some reason. I fear the reaction after this but it’s good to see some logical posts still coming out from Greendom and the like.

I think it’s best to explain one’s expectations from the start but I stated one of the last times I posted that I had no League expectations again this year. Chelsea, Man City and Man United were that far ahead of us for years and now we are on parity financially. However this is the start…not the end. For people to think that it’s the switch of a button is crazy. I look at the Arsenal finances and always have done and anyone with a degree of time and intelligence would tell you the limits the stadium put on us. I know the same typical hyperbolic posters will dismiss this as the usual dross but we are now at the beginning point of competing with those teams rather than immediate equality. That’s why I believe the man that sacrificed his coaching career for one club deserves the chance over three years to compete again.

I have looked at these posts that ‘we are Arsenal’…we are London’s premier Club….we don’t settle for this!! I say yes…you are correct…but do you know who made this history….do you actually look back and follow this team. It is littered with barren spells and final heartbreak. Don’t condescend as if we have had an illustrious history with no shameful defeats pre Wenger. We have 11 FA Cups. 5 of those belong to the management of Arsene Wenger. Without that we are West Brom, Everton and Chelsea. We are level on top with Manchester United. 3 League’s in 6 years under Wenger have only improved our standing. He will only be second to Herbert Chapman in the list of greats.

Our current woes are well documented. I am absolutely furious about our defensive situation and lack of signings. I am p***ed off about it beyond belief. By the same logic Mourinho cost the Chelsea the title last season for a failure to sign a striker in January. We should have had one more centre back and I would have liked a new ‘DM’ as is the rage. Am I p***ed...yes! Is it a sackable offence IMO...No. I do believe efforts were made on both sides…didn’t work out and so they were no panic buys. Still frustrating!

However I do like the coming together of this team. As mentioned earlier I live in the real world where building occurs and instant success because you want it, does not exist. And we are building. I have looked at a few posts back here now and it’s hilarious to watch the clueless slate Wilshere, others saying the Ox not doing it for them, Monreal is hopeless, Arteta is sh*t, turning on Ramsay again, Mert is passed it…some criticism of Gibbs from some goin back a while…Welbeck a reject…hated Giroud but now we miss him….invalidates a lot of the loudest voices on here. Pure reactionary rubbish and anger and despair about their own feelings and the little bit of slagging they get from their friends down the local. And they lead the charge against Wenger.

As for poor Sanogo…feel free to check my posts. Anyone with a bias free persuasion would see the potential the guy has and the influence he had against Liverpool, Wigan and Hull in the FA Cup final last year in changing those games yet many of the same sheep ran with the no goals craic and again used it to beat Wenger. Watchin all those games last season it was easy to see what a better front man he is than Podolski who has seemed to warm his way into the heart of the easily flattered by his affectionate tweets and Instagram pictures. Absolute fact is every time he starts for us on the left or up front our performances have been poor attacking wise. A superman to get a goal and bring on but not for the balance or performance of the team as is easy to see.

Furthermore …there is only one reason Mesut Ozil and Alexis Sanchez are at Arsenal and as much as many here like to bury their head in the sand…… it’s Arsene Wenger. Ignore that as ever in yer arguments. Other than that…well we are Liverpool.

I look forward to our ultimate selection headache….Ozil, Walcott, Welbeck, Wilshere and most of all Koscielny back.

I await the typical comeback from the warriors on here about acceptance of failure, 4th, bring in Klopp, Wenger has lost it…

As I said at the start anyone expecting a title challenge this year seems a bit naive to me relative to other team’s situation. We are now on parity and are competing from here but why people think it will all happen in a year to me is bizarre. We need extraordinary improvements. Without doubt…let’s sack him in the morning so…..lets enter the world of Spur’s, Everton and Liverpool.

Post of the year

• Registered Users Posts: 6,333 ✭✭✭bad2dabone

Whilst I don't agree with everything you've said, you've said your piece well.
    I'd prefer a change in the manager to a change of manager, hopefully we can address the glaring weaknesses in our team over the coming seasons.

Very well articulated

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭byrneg28

Did Arsenal play 4132 last night? Anyone got a screenshot of the tactical line ups

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,192 ✭✭✭Ken Shamrock

byrneg28 wrote: »
    Did Arsenal play 4132 last night? Anyone got a screenshot of the tactical line ups

Sky sports said that was the formation they were lining up with but looked more like 4231 to me. In fact it defintely was, even Wenger said they left Sanogo long.

@Johnny, a great post, can't help but feel alot of it was aimed at me,raf,soups,tayto etc :) That's no bother i and i'm sure everyone else respects your opinion and i would love to have the same optimistic and positive views as you but unfortunately that's not how i'm programmed.

Some of us think the money is a loada bollix others think it is a legit excuse, some think Arteta,ramsey,welbeck,sanogo etc aren't good enough some think they are, some of us get upset when we lose and like to vent our frustrations here, others take it on the chin and look forward to the next game.

Everyone has their own views and opinions some look on the brightside some do the opposite i don't think it's really a choice. I agreed with a lot of what you said for sure. However i would like to know your opinion on Wenger's tactics over the past few years and his business in the transfer market. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭Sacksian

On last night, thought Gibbs was outstanding. Oxlade-Chamberlain and Arteta were very good as well. There were also a couple of periods when Arsenal were zipping it around, really nice one-touch stuff mainly through Arteta - although this also showed how Alexis is sometimes a little looser in possession than the rest of the team, which can mean having to regroup quickly if he loses it in a dangerous area. Having said that, he is an out-and-out match-winner that Arsenal have been missing for a while. I'll be interested to see how the Ox develops, particularly when Walcott is fully fit.

I thought Chambers was excellent at full-back going forward - his touch and passing is improving all the time. I would be really interested to see how he’d do in midfield but he’s probably still a bit impetuous and I don’t think there are any games this season where it’d be worth trying him there (especially while centre-back is still a priority) - maybe pre-season next year?

I've always been (and still am) a huge Mertesacker fan but he's definitely off the standards of his last couple of seasons, not only the couple of misplaced headers last night but also in terms of his leadership recently: still wanting to go forward and not getting back quickly enough. He's shown the last couple of seasons that himself and Kos complement each other really well and make a fantastic partnership, so he just has to get back up to those standards. Despite some recent results, Monreal has actually been fine at centre-back.

I still think that when Arsenal click in the Arsene Wenger way - quick, controlled possession punctuated with bursts of pace and power - like they did last night, there are few teams better to watch - it is a question of confidence though.

And some of that comes from the fans - I can't remember too many games where the Emirates crowd have pulled the players through a game, they seem to be very reactive. Probably the same for a lot of premier league crowds though, not sure there's an equivalent of the type of support Dortmund fans give to their players anywhere else in Europe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

Good post but I think the regression from last year is very damning. Its his faith in some average players that costs him. Perhaps we arent good enough to win the league but to be out of the race in November is disgraceful.

Only saw the first half and while we did well, Dortmund were terrible. How much was down to pressing (not that much to my eye) and pressure is another thing.

Good post Jonny and some good points. I wouldnt agree with some of it but its fairly acceptable in most parts.

I think most fans will differ in the acceptability of what goes on with a club, I agree Rome isnt built in a day but as Rome was being built you could see its progress. Some look to the positive for comfort others look to the weakness to prove there point of failures.

Some fans will seek comfort from the array of excuses others will demand more because they can be more direct.

For all though I think come end of May the majority will be on par as to what should happen next.

One point I would wholey disagree with is that the big players come to Arsenal because of Arsene, big players have come before and more will come again after he has gone. They sign for money & the hope of success.

• Advertisement

Only saw the first half and while we did well, Dortmund were terrible. How much was down to pressing (not that much to my eye) and pressure is another thing.

Credit were credit is due, we were very good last night took our chances and controlled the game. We took a 2-0 lead and decided thats enough and sat solid, thats progress for me. A few weeks/months/years back we'd push for number 3 then concede making it 2-1 and game back on.

It was a good solid professional performance.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,940 ✭✭✭omega man

Great post Johnny.

If I was to be the Devils advocate though I could say that following a great performance and win last night your post was only ever going to sit well with the vast majority of supporters, even in here! Had last night gone belly up I suspect your post would have been critiqued somewhat more. However it's nice to have a little bit of feel good factor, for now at least.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,192 ✭✭✭Ken Shamrock

This is what i've been doing in work all morning :D

http://www.mousebreaker.com/games/wengerstouchlinetko/playgame

Next 3 matches are West Brom, Southampton and Stoke. 3 wins needed or an absolute minimum of 7 with a draw against Southampton. Then a dead rubber followed by a run of 5 league matches over Christmas which we really need to bomb through.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,254 ✭✭✭shano_88

Johnny just won the internet. Great post

I hate that expression but hey arsenal are in the last 16 :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭jonneymendoza

it's been a while, (but not that many goals, unfortunately)

Sanchez 13 (8)
    Welbeck 5 (2)
    Ramsey 3 (2)
    Giroud 3 (2)
    Ox 2(1)
    Gibbs 1 (0)
    Koscielny 1 (1)
    Podolski 1(0)
    Wishere 1(1)
    Ozil 1(1)
    Cazorla 1 (0)
    Chambers 1 (1)
    Arteta 1 (0)
    Sanogo 1(0)

Total goals scored (league goals in brackets)

TFFS (or thanks very much Alexis)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭jonneymendoza

one man team hehe

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,238 ✭✭✭Ardennes1944

Wilshire is out for 3 months. Had surgery on ankle ligaments.

Ramsey might get some form again now.

http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/football/30225473

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement