Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2014/15

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

Wilshire is out for 3 months. Had surgery on ankle ligaments.

Ramsey might get some form again now.

http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/football/30225473
    Seen this post on twitter outlining what a crappy time Wilshere has had with injuries over the last couple of years. 19 injuries in total with a good few of them ankle related.

B3dC92rCQAAdFFr.jpg:large

• Registered Users Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭Nemeses2050

Ramsey might get some form again now.

http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/football/30225473

To be honest I don't mind that...I think he overplays all the time and tries to beat 3-4 players instead of doing simple things...you've to be nimble like Messi/Ronaldo/Sanchez/Hazard etc to beat 3-4 players otherwise you'll always get done on ankles.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,696 ✭✭✭emmetlego

Ankles made of glass that fella...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Any update on Arteta? hopefully he'll be back much sooner than Jack

• Registered Users Posts: 1,533 ✭✭✭Colonialboy

now if only someone had seen that coming :( 18 months ago...
    Wilsheres touch is too heavy, he always seems to be struggling to keep the ball under control or within reach, constantly stretching for it.
    He gets away with it when hes younger cos he can zip around but Ive always said it makes him very prone to injury cos he stretching and exposed to the odd whack.

Great result Arsenal, well done to the the team, they looked in good shape and at least 10 of them playing in positions that suited them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,533 ✭✭✭Colonialboy

I look at the Arsenal finances and always have done and anyone with a degree of time and intelligence would tell you the limits the stadium put on us. ......

I stopped reading when I got here... the limits the Stadium put on Arsenal football club. Thats a myth.

London 'The City' as in the Financial centre is flush with cash looking for a home and investment and always has been even during the 'financial crisis' and the stadium preceedes that anyways. Interest rates have been at historic lows.

Stadium .. financial limits ... my arsene !

I stopped reading when I got here... the limits the Stadium put on Arsenal football club. Thats a myth.

London 'The City' as in the Financial centre is flush with cash looking for a home and investment and always has been even during the 'financial crisis' and the stadium preceedes that anyways. Interest rates have been at historic lows.

Stadium .. financial limits ... my arsene !

They had no problem sourcing the 'cash' to build the stadium. The problem is 'The City' not only wants its cash back, it wants interest as well. Institutions invest to get a return, not for the fun of it.

now if only someone had seen that coming :( 18 months ago...

Great result Arsenal, well done to the the team, they looked in good shape and at least 10 of them playing in positions that suited them.

Wilsheres touch is too heavy, he always seems to be struggling to keep the ball under control or within reach, constantly stretching for it.
    He gets away with it when hes younger cos he can zip around but Ive always said it makes him very prone to injury cos he stretching and exposed to the odd whack.

That is, to a tee, what happened on Saturday evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭MaxPower89

Will McNair face retrospective punishment for his tackle? Not winging now, but it was a shocker and was just wondering.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭emergingstar

MaxPower89 wrote: »
    Will McNair face retrospective punishment for his tackle? Not winging now, but it was a shocker and was just wondering.

I thought it was slightly late and a foul but I don't think he went to do him

No retrospective action Id say

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭jonneymendoza

Been off the grid for a while owing to travel and despair I guess and I will get slated for this but also for the sheer negativity on this page going back a while.

I’m a Wenger fan…no shock there to some. I am also a Wenger critic because it’s possible to be both although you wouldn’t know it on here at times. It seems you have to be extreme and polarised for some reason. I fear the reaction after this but it’s good to see some logical posts still coming out from Greendom and the like.

I think it’s best to explain one’s expectations from the start but I stated one of the last times I posted that I had no League expectations again this year. Chelsea, Man City and Man United were that far ahead of us for years and now we are on parity financially. However this is the start…not the end. For people to think that it’s the switch of a button is crazy. I look at the Arsenal finances and always have done and anyone with a degree of time and intelligence would tell you the limits the stadium put on us. I know the same typical hyperbolic posters will dismiss this as the usual dross but we are now at the beginning point of competing with those teams rather than immediate equality. That’s why I believe the man that sacrificed his coaching career for one club deserves the chance over three years to compete again.

I have looked at these posts that ‘we are Arsenal’…we are London’s premier Club….we don’t settle for this!! I say yes…you are correct…but do you know who made this history….do you actually look back and follow this team. It is littered with barren spells and final heartbreak. Don’t condescend as if we have had an illustrious history with no shameful defeats pre Wenger. We have 11 FA Cups. 5 of those belong to the management of Arsene Wenger. Without that we are West Brom, Everton and Chelsea. We are level on top with Manchester United. 3 League’s in 6 years under Wenger have only improved our standing. He will only be second to Herbert Chapman in the list of greats.

Our current woes are well documented. I am absolutely furious about our defensive situation and lack of signings. I am p***ed off about it beyond belief. By the same logic Mourinho cost the Chelsea the title last season for a failure to sign a striker in January. We should have had one more centre back and I would have liked a new ‘DM’ as is the rage. Am I p***ed...yes! Is it a sackable offence IMO...No. I do believe efforts were made on both sides…didn’t work out and so they were no panic buys. Still frustrating!

However I do like the coming together of this team. As mentioned earlier I live in the real world where building occurs and instant success because you want it, does not exist. And we are building. I have looked at a few posts back here now and it’s hilarious to watch the clueless slate Wilshere, others saying the Ox not doing it for them, Monreal is hopeless, Arteta is sh*t, turning on Ramsay again, Mert is passed it…some criticism of Gibbs from some goin back a while…Welbeck a reject…hated Giroud but now we miss him….invalidates a lot of the loudest voices on here. Pure reactionary rubbish and anger and despair about their own feelings and the little bit of slagging they get from their friends down the local. And they lead the charge against Wenger.

As for poor Sanogo…feel free to check my posts. Anyone with a bias free persuasion would see the potential the guy has and the influence he had against Liverpool, Wigan and Hull in the FA Cup final last year in changing those games yet many of the same sheep ran with the no goals craic and again used it to beat Wenger. Watchin all those games last season it was easy to see what a better front man he is than Podolski who has seemed to warm his way into the heart of the easily flattered by his affectionate tweets and Instagram pictures. Absolute fact is every time he starts for us on the left or up front our performances have been poor attacking wise. A superman to get a goal and bring on but not for the balance or performance of the team as is easy to see.

Furthermore …there is only one reason Mesut Ozil and Alexis Sanchez are at Arsenal and as much as many here like to bury their head in the sand…… it’s Arsene Wenger. Ignore that as ever in yer arguments. Other than that…well we are Liverpool.

I look forward to our ultimate selection headache….Ozil, Walcott, Welbeck, Wilshere and most of all Koscielny back.

I await the typical comeback from the warriors on here about acceptance of failure, 4th, bring in Klopp, Wenger has lost it…

As I said at the start anyone expecting a title challenge this year seems a bit naive to me relative to other team’s situation. We are now on parity and are competing from here but why people think it will all happen in a year to me is bizarre. We need extraordinary improvements. Without doubt…let’s sack him in the morning so…..lets enter the world of Spur’s, Everton and Liverpool.

But I guess I am happy with 4th every year and am a Wenger apologist:rolleyes:

Why do you think we could not compete for the title this year when we did for most of last season with the same exact team?

We have kept all our best players from last season like ramsey, girud, kos etc etc and we have built on top of that by adding sanchez and Wellbeck.

Yet you feel we should not be competing? Why?

The core of this squad have been playing for 3-4 seasons together now, Its not as if they just started playing together this season so why are you having such low expectations?

This squad should be at there near peak as it generally taked 2-3 seasons for a squad of players to gel and play together at there best yet here we are today and we have a bunch of clueless players who cant defend to save there lives and make idiotic mistakes time and time again.

How can you accept that?

Who is to blame? Is it the players themselves not good enough? if so, who was responsible of buying them and offering multiple renewed high payed 100k+ contracts? Wenger

Or could it be wrong tactics? Who deploys tactics? Wenger.

You say that the reason why Ozil and Sanchez are at arsenal is because of wenger. well many of our top players have left because of wenger too.

Wenger is arrogant and stupid and cant adapt and listen to peoples advice. He does teh complete opposite and fails make the club look like a joke.

I payed £88 to watch this? bloody joke.

I dont understand your reason for backing wenger.

Also you said there was efforts made to get a DM in? got links to actual stuff coming out of arsenal.com/news stating we tried to get a DM and not some random twitter/blog rumour?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭G1032

Why do you think we could not compete for the title this year when we did for most of last season with the same exact team?

We have kept all our best players from last season like ramsey, girud, kos etc etc and we have built on top of that by adding sanchez and Wellbeck.

Yet you feel we should not be competing? Why?

The core of this squad have been playing for 3-4 seasons together now, Its not as if they just started playing together this season so why are you having such low expectations?

This squad should be at there near peak as it generally taked 2-3 seasons for a squad of players to gel and play together at there best yet here we are today and we have a bunch of clueless players who cant defend to save there lives and make idiotic mistakes time and time again.

How can you accept that?

Who is to blame? Is it the players themselves not good enough? if so, who was responsible of buying them and offering multiple renewed high payed 100k+ contracts? Wenger

You say that the reason why Ozil and Sanchez are at arsenal is because of wenger. well many of our top players have left because of wenger too.

Wenger is arrogant and stupid and cant adapt and listen to peoples advice. He does teh complete opposite and fails make the club look like a joke.

I dont understand your reason for backing wenger.

Also you said there was efforts made to get a DM in? got links to actual stuff coming out of arsenal.com/news stating we tried to get a DM and not some random twitter/blog rumour?

Not saying I'm siding with anyone here but what's good for the goose is good for the gander.

Post your own links to quotes from Arsenal.com/news stating that Wenger won't listen to any advice. How do you know who he does and doesn't listen to?

Show all the 100k+ wages the players are on? I might be wrong but I thought it was Ozil, Pod, Sanchez and possibly Walcott that were on over 100k? Links please?

Don't call Spanish Johnny out on not providing links unless you're prepared to back up your own statements with links from Arsenal.com

Play fair in your argument .......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,752 ✭✭✭Mr Blobby

Just a few points on Johnney's post

We have kept all our best players from last season like ramsey, girud, kos etc etc and we have built on top of that by adding sanchez and Wellbeck

Lots of reason.. Too many to post right now.

Simple put.. Our core team just isn't all that great. We have a lot of players that are either on the way out or are constantly injured and struggle to find form.

For me that comes down to injuries. How can a team gel when pretty much every player in the team will be out for some period of time. We are constantly rearranging are team to fill holes from injured players.
    How can you accept that?

Nobody is happy about it.. Just not much we can do.

I don't think we have many players above 100k. Also we're rich enough that we can offer most of our players decent contracts, which in turn keeps them at the club. Everyone remembers what it was like before.. Constantly losing players to bigger clubs simple because they could offer more money.
    Could you provide proof to the 100k contracts bit?

Possibly.

Examples?

If you feel so strongly then don't pay.. Its really that simple.

See.. Posting stuff like this doesn't help your case and makes you come across as someone throwing his toys about.

G1032 wrote: »
    Not saying I'm siding with anyone here but what's good for the goose is good for the gander.

Post your own links to quotes from Arsenal.com/news stating that Wenger won't listen to any advice. How do you know who he does and doesn't listen to?

Show all the 100k+ wages the players are on? I might be wrong but I thought it was Ozil, Pod, Sanchez and possibly Walcott that were on over 100k? Links please?

Don't call Spanish Johnny out on not providing links unless you're prepared to back up your own statements with links from Arsenal.com

Play fair in your argument .......

links to what?

There is no links of us buying any DM's, backup CB's etc.

Our wage bill is higher then chelsea's.

Many of our players are on decent wages

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭Paj

JM, calling Wenger stupid is clearly not right.
    He’s far from stupid, he’s a giant of the club and I think he deserves more respect than that.
    Fair enough wanting him replaced, but I think you’re going too far insulting the man.

• Advertisement

Mr Blobby wrote: »
    Just a few points on Johnney's post

Lots of reason.. Too many to post right now.

Simple put.. Our core team just isn't all that great. We have a lot of players that are either on the way out or are constantly injured and struggle to find form.

For me that comes down to injuries. How can a team gel when pretty much every player in the team will be out for some period of time. We are constantly rearranging are team to fill holes from injured players.

Nobody is happy about it.. Just not much we can do.

I don't think we have many players above 100k. Also we're rich enough that we can offer most of our players decent contracts, which in turn keeps them at the club. Everyone remembers what it was like before.. Constantly losing players to bigger clubs simple because they could offer more money.
    Could you provide proof to the 100k contracts bit?

Possibly.

Examples?

If you feel so strongly then don't pay.. Its really that simple.

See.. Posting stuff like this doesn't help your case and makes you come across as someone throwing his toys about.

Pires left because of wenger. Fine example of that.

One of the reasons why we get lots of injuries is because we tend to play some of the same players till they get injured and dont rotate enough.

It takes its toll.

We should rest Sanchez soon as an example. Dont want to play him until he gets injured now do we?

Paj wrote: »
    JM, calling Wenger stupid is clearly not right.
    He’s far from stupid, he’s a giant of the club and I think he deserves more respect than that.
    Fair enough wanting him replaced, but I think you’re going too far insulting the man.

ok maybe that was harsh but he is arrogant and clueless tactically IMO

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,342 ✭✭✭Bobby Baccala

And rightly so in most cases.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

Podolski sitting on the bench at 100000 is criminal squad management. Either give him a chance or boot him. That money could have got our DM or CB. Carvalho wasnt even on 10% of that. Joel Campbell doesnt seem in his plans, why not sell it while hes hot after a good world cup and make a tidy profit on him. Instead he will go for a much smaller amount next season. Does Wilshere deserve to be on circa 130000?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 630 ✭✭✭liamygunner29

Aide from Pod all those players should be on 100k plus and if they wern't they wouldn't be playing for Arsenal.

Ya can't go on about the wage bil being high and not spending money on players in the same argument

• Advertisement

Aide from Pod all those players should be on 100k plus and if they wern't they wouldn't be playing for Arsenal.

Ya can't go on about the wage bil being high and not spending money on players in the same argument

Its a total misappropriation of funds though. Id love to see the wages broken down by position.

ok maybe that was harsh but he is arrogant and clueless tactically IMO

Like last night?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,751 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Our wage bill being 'higher than Chelsea's' probably doesn't include their ridiculous list of loaned out players.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭G1032

links to what?

No Johnny there aren't any links on Arsenal.com to us trying to buy DM's or CB,s. Neither are there any links to back up the two statement shown below that you made

buying them and offering multiple renewed high payed 100k+ contracts?

Wenger is arrogant and stupid and cant adapt and listen to peoples advice.

You can't back them up with links from Arsenal.com. You don't know the statements are true so don't use them in an argument.........How do you know who Wenger listens to and please provide me with the names of all the Arsenal players who are getting paid 100k+ from Arsenal???.....multiple renewed high paid 100k+ contracts???

links to what?

Our wage bill is higher then chelsea's.

Why would there be links on Arsenal.com about us buying a DM :pac:

You do understand how transfers work, yes?
    They ain't just gonna put up an article saying "We're currently looking at buying a DM. Here's the player we're interested in."

There was plenty of sources saying we had looked at bringing in a DM. I'm 100% sure William Carvalho was on the cards until Sporting started demanding stupid money.. Same for Khedira (even though he's not a DM) and Schneiderlin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

Been away for a few weeks and back to see lots of inane ramblings in here again.

Colonialboy, your post earlier was just about the worst ever. Take a lengthy, well thought out post and basically tell the poster you stopped reading the second you found something you disagree with.

Massive contribution.

Then ramble on for a bit about the financial strength of the city ... which isn't really important to tyr argumet and finish with a not funny smart ass quip.

Seriously astounding discussion, everyone's really grateful.

Loads of people in here don't actually understand what they're talking about. Your comments are all rant and no debate with very little rationale behind it all.

Pires left because of wenger. Fine example of that.

One of the reasons why we get lots of injuries is because we tend to play some of the same players till they get injured and dont rotate enough.

It takes its toll.

We should rest Sanchez soon as an example. Dont want to play him until he gets injured now do we?

Were you even watching when Pires played for us? We got the best years of his life and he moved on when he was a 33 year old squad player. How old are you? Are you seriously trying to use the career of Pires as a stick to beat Wenger with?

Now you stated that 'many of our top players have left because or Arsne'

Back it up please.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,333 ✭✭✭bad2dabone

Every elite player who has left the club has spoken highly of AW.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,192 ✭✭✭Ken Shamrock

gosplan wrote: »
    Been away for a few weeks and back to see lots of inane ramblings in here again.

Bob, your post earlier was just about the worst ever. Take a lengthy, well thought out post and basically tell the poster you stopped reading the second you found something you disagree with.

Massive contribution.

Then ramble on for a bit about the financial strength of the city ... which isn't really important to tyr argumet and finish with a not funny smart ass quip.

Seriously astounding discussion, everyone's really grateful.

Loads of people in here don't actually understand what they're talking about. Your comments are all rant and no debate with very little rationale behind it all.
    What are you on about man?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,940 ✭✭✭omega man

greendom wrote: »
    Like last night?

In fairness last night isn't the bench mark. It should be but we need more of the same against quality opposition before we reassess wengers tactical transformation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,177 ✭✭✭Irish Aris

omega man wrote: »
    In fairness last night isn't the bench mark. It should be but we need more of the same against quality opposition before we reassess wengers tactical transformation.

Never mind quality opposition. I want more of the same on Saturday against West Brom.

The team desperately needs to get back on track.

What are you on about man?

A thousand apologies, wrong poster entirely.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

AdamD wrote: »
    Our wage bill being 'higher than Chelsea's' probably doesn't include their ridiculous list of loaned out players.

The load players don't cost them anything, in fact they have proven to be a source of income. There is always a loan fee involved and the other club pays the wages.

omega man wrote: »

So you discount a match where the tactics were spot on?

Lukker- wrote: »
    The load players don't cost them anything, in fact they have proven to be a source of income. There is always a loan fee involved and the other club pays the wages.

Which is why the Chelsea wage bill is lowered. Clever accounting.

Cant see how a DM not being signed in January will be justified by the management. Flamini is terrible while Artetas legs seem to have well and truly gone. Ramsey and Wilshere usually get long lay offs too. Can see Cabaye who will do well for a few seasons but eventually will prove to not be the DM we all want.

With Jack out and Walcott on the way back, I wonder whether Ox will get an opportunity to play centre mid?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,696 ✭✭✭emmetlego

With Jack out and Walcott on the way back, I wonder whether Ox will get an opportunity to play centre mid?

I'd prefer Ozil there to be honest, he's back in a couple of weeks isn't he?

I hope not he has been brilliant on the wing, our second best player.

Actually does Theo get back in ahead of him or Sanchez?

• Advertisement

emmetlego wrote: »
    I'd prefer Ozil there to be honest, he's back in a couple of weeks isn't he?

Not till the new year I thought?

Watching this makes me feel so bad for not thinking he is up to it anymore. favourite man ever in football, would just love to see him adapt and change.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,940 ✭✭✭omega man

I said last night should be the bench mark didn't I? My point was simply that we can't judge purely on last night. Let's see some consistency first.

Raf32 wrote: »
    I hope not he has been brilliant on the wing, our second best player.

Actually does Theo get back in ahead of him or Sanchez?

For me i'd bench him for now.
    He doesn't bring the direct attacking play that Ox and Sanchez do.

For me the only thing Walcott has over Ox is finishing and off the ball movement.

For me the only thing Walcott has over Ox is finishing and off the ball movement.

Agreed I really think Ox nearly has it all. Said it before but I think he will go down as one of our best.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,665 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

More pitch invaders than league titles at WHL tonight!

• Advertisement

Walcott will take a while to get up to speed. When he does, he's ahead of of Ox as a wide forward

• Registered Users Posts: 8,984 ✭✭✭Soups123

It's good to see a few posters back with the positives, been missing a few weeks now :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,177 ✭✭✭Irish Aris

Soups123 wrote: »
    It's good to see a few posters back with the positives, been missing a few weeks now :)

A good performance/win combination always helps. :)
    Long may it last!!!

You cant judge us based on one match against a team playing for nothing.

Nothing will change i will guarantee you that.

We wont all of a sudden catch up with chelsea and leave it till the last 2 games of the season fighting for the title and we wont make it past the 2nd round of the CL either.

G1032 wrote: »
    No Johnny there aren't any links on Arsenal.com to us trying to buy DM's or CB,s. Neither are there any links to back up the two statement shown below that you made

buying them and offering multiple renewed high payed 100k+ contracts?

Wenger is arrogant and stupid and cant adapt and listen to peoples advice.

You can't back them up with links from Arsenal.com. You don't know the statements are true so don't use them in an argument.........How do you know who Wenger listens to and please provide me with the names of all the Arsenal players who are getting paid 100k+ from Arsenal???.....multiple renewed high paid 100k+ contracts???

Someone posted a link to all peoples salary at the beginning of the season and most where on 80k+!!

point 2. You dont need a link to show that wenger is arrogant and refuse to listen to other professionals telling him he should buy a CB and a DM.

Sad thing is, we dont need a WORLD CLASS DM OR CB!! we just need A decent CB and DM!! Because we dont have no cover and no proper DM at all

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement