Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2014/15

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,752 ✭✭✭Mr Blobby

Someone posted a link to all peoples salary at the beginning of the season and most where on 80k+!!

80K is about right for a team like us.
    Most BPL teams have high wages.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

Sam ‏@samuelJayC 3m3 minutes ago
    Debuchy is set to return to training in 10 days, according to reports. A huge boost for Arsenal. #afc

Some good news. I really like him, thought he looked solid for us and an upgrade on last season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

greendom wrote: »
    Which is why the Chelsea wage bill is lowered. Clever accounting.

The loan players have always been there and never really had an effect on the wage bill. The reason the wage bill was lowered is because they have shifted a fair few high earners off the books. Lampard, Ashley Cole, Eto'o etc. Add to that that Terry took a wage cut to 50% of his previous wages in his new contract from 160k to 80k. The only person who's out on loan who would really affect the wage bill is Torres, who is on a 2 year loan which is the duration of his contract so it's essentially a free transfer. It's not just clever accounting, it's excellent management from board to coaching staff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭byrneg28

Someone posted a link to all peoples salary at the beginning of the season and most where on 80k+!!

point 2. You dont need a link to show that wenger is arrogant and refuse to listen to other professionals telling him he should buy a CB and a DM.

Sad thing is, we dont need a WORLD CLASS DM OR CB!! we just need A decent CB and DM!! Because we dont have no cover and no proper DM at all

http://www.arsenalreport.com/squad/

very few on 80k+

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,192 ✭✭✭Ken Shamrock

byrneg28 wrote: »

Clearly not up to date to be fair

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭wonga77

Clearly not up to date to be fair

Surely Ramsey is on more than 50k a week?
    Also theres no way Diaby is on 60k a week

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 393 ✭✭Its Only Ray Parlour

wonga77 wrote: »
    Surely Ramsey is on more than 50k a week?
    Also theres no way Diaby is on 60k a week

Google says 50k for Diaby.

On this site, Diaby is on 65k and Ramsey is on 80k.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭Ed Winchester

I'd say that's a fair way off the mark. He even says at the bottom that its guesswork.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,696 ✭✭✭emmetlego

Ah yes, the internet… Posting the most believable spoofs since the inception of the internet!

Sure I'm from a planet outside the solar system, and I KNOW WE WILL WIN THE CHAMPIONS LEAUGE THIS YEAR…

It must be true so! I read it on the internet!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,192 ✭✭✭Ken Shamrock

Well Vermaelen is in the list so...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,009 ✭✭✭kronsington

Does anyone know the story with Jenkinson and are we likely to recall him in January? I don't know the specifics of the deal but for some reason I have the feeling we won't recall him. Whether it be as a result of another baffling decision from AW not to recall or we didn't insert a recall clause, I don't know.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,342 ✭✭✭Bobby Baccala

Can't understand some of the talk here about ox being a better player than Walcott, nowhere near as much of a threat on goal as Walcott is on his day, can see ox being shifted onto the bench when/if Walcott regains match fitness.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭farna_boy

Sometimes, this thread.. I really don't know.

People blame Wenger for not spending money and buying quality players, including quality players to come off the bench and make an impact.

Podolski is the epitome of the player we need on the bench. A player who can come on with 20 minutes to go and make a difference. He does so nearly every opportunity he is given.

The same people who complain that Poldi is on 100k seem to be the same people who complain that we, as fans, shouldn't care how much it costs, we want the best players, everywhere! Including the bench! How can you not see the hypocrisy in that?

If nothing else, recent events have shown that we need about 20 top quality players to see us through a season, so even if 5 of the top first 11 get injured, their replacements are just as good. Ok we might get a few young (cheap) players with potential to sit on the bench, but if we want guarantees, we need the likes of Poldi, on 100k + both on the pitch and off it to guarantee success.

P4DDY2K11 wrote: »
    Can't understand some of the talk here about ox being a better player than Walcott, nowhere near as much of a threat on goal as Walcott is on his day, can see ox being shifted onto the bench when/if Walcott regains match fitness.

You act like there's a massive difference in quality between them. If you want goals then Walcott is your man. But for build up play and beating his man Ox is much better.

Ox is our most improved player and imo our 2nd best player on current form.

farna_boy wrote: »

People blame Wenger for not spending money and buying quality players, including quality players to come off the bench and make an impact.

Podolski is the epitome of the player we need on the bench. A player who can come on with 20 minutes to go and make a difference. He does so nearly every opportunity he is given.

The same people who complain that Poldi is on 100k seem to be the same people who complain that we, as fans, shouldn't care how much it costs, we want the best players, everywhere! Including the bench! How can you not see the hypocrisy in that?

If nothing else, recent events have shown that we need about 20 top quality players to see us through a season, so even if 5 of the top first 11 get injured, their replacements are just as good. Ok we might get a few young (cheap) players with potential to sit on the bench, but if we want guarantees, we need the likes of Poldi, on 100k + both on the pitch and off it to guarantee success.

I personally wouldn't put Podolski in the 100k bracket of players. He decent but apart from the odd goal here or there he's never really shown that he's worth keeping on.

His first season he was quite good but since then he's went backwards. Apart from his finishing he's very one dimensional and doesn't bring much off the bench.

I also doubt he'll move in January since no team will pay his 100K wages. He'll happily see out his contract and collect his checks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭Ed Winchester

Mr Blobby wrote: »
    I personally wouldn't put Podolski in the 100k bracket of players. He decent but apart from the odd goal here or there he's never really shown that he's worth keeping on.

His first season he was quite good but since then he's went backwards. Apart from his finishing he's very one dimensional and doesn't bring much off the bench.

I also doubt he'll move in January since no team will pay his 100K wages. He'll happily see out his contract and collect his checks.

I'd say he'll easily get a club to pay those wages. His pedigree is first class. I don't think our system gets the best out of him though. I'd definitely keep him as a super sub. Plus he seems to have a genuine love for the club.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭jonneymendoza

rubbish link. ramsey is on 80-100k for example and so is wilshere

• Registered Users Posts: 8,984 ✭✭✭Soups123

farna_boy wrote: »

Yep agree with a lot of this top clubs have top high earners on the bench.

The only reason I see Podolski as a waste is that Wenger no longer rates him and he gets little time. For me he is the perfect type of bench player if used

You act like there's a massive difference in quality between them. If you want goals then Walcott is your man. But for build up play and beating his man Ox is much better.

Ox is our most improved player and imo our 2nd best player on current form.

Walcott is another level up from Ox.

Ox has had a really poor season up until the last few weeks, he should have been flying after a really good WC personally but he failed to deliver a few times when started his best performances had been off the bench.

He has been great the last few weeks and I think he has the ability to be special, he needs to start delivering that now on a regular basis

• Advertisement

Soups123 wrote: »
    Walcott is another level up from Ox.

Ox has had a really poor season up until the last few weeks, he should have been flying after a really good WC personally but he failed to deliver a few times when started his best performances had been off the bench.

He has been great the last few weeks and I think he has the ability to be special, he needs to start delivering that now on a regular basis

He just turned 21 . it should be all up from here

Jack hits back at those who criticise his dodgy ankle, tbf that position in the photo would damage anyones ankle

http://instagram.com/p/v724UOCz8p/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,751 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Said it at the time but that's a horrid challenge, no idea how he got away with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,990 ✭✭✭wawaman

AdamD wrote: »
    Said it at the time but that's a horrid challenge, no idea how he got away with it.

Mike Dean

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,456 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Been off the grid for a while owing to travel and despair I guess and I will get slated for this but also for the sheer negativity on this page going back a while.

I’m a Wenger fan…no shock there to some. I am also a Wenger critic because it’s possible to be both although you wouldn’t know it on here at times. It seems you have to be extreme and polarised for some reason. I fear the reaction after this but it’s good to see some logical posts still coming out from Greendom and the like.

I think it’s best to explain one’s expectations from the start but I stated one of the last times I posted that I had no League expectations again this year. Chelsea, Man City and Man United were that far ahead of us for years and now we are on parity financially. However this is the start…not the end. For people to think that it’s the switch of a button is crazy. I look at the Arsenal finances and always have done and anyone with a degree of time and intelligence would tell you the limits the stadium put on us. I know the same typical hyperbolic posters will dismiss this as the usual dross but we are now at the beginning point of competing with those teams rather than immediate equality. That’s why I believe the man that sacrificed his coaching career for one club deserves the chance over three years to compete again.

I have looked at these posts that ‘we are Arsenal’…we are London’s premier Club….we don’t settle for this!! I say yes…you are correct…but do you know who made this history….do you actually look back and follow this team. It is littered with barren spells and final heartbreak. Don’t condescend as if we have had an illustrious history with no shameful defeats pre Wenger. We have 11 FA Cups. 5 of those belong to the management of Arsene Wenger. Without that we are West Brom, Everton and Chelsea. We are level on top with Manchester United. 3 League’s in 6 years under Wenger have only improved our standing. He will only be second to Herbert Chapman in the list of greats.

Our current woes are well documented. I am absolutely furious about our defensive situation and lack of signings. I am p***ed off about it beyond belief. By the same logic Mourinho cost the Chelsea the title last season for a failure to sign a striker in January. We should have had one more centre back and I would have liked a new ‘DM’ as is the rage. Am I p***ed...yes! Is it a sackable offence IMO...No. I do believe efforts were made on both sides…didn’t work out and so they were no panic buys. Still frustrating!

However I do like the coming together of this team. As mentioned earlier I live in the real world where building occurs and instant success because you want it, does not exist. And we are building. I have looked at a few posts back here now and it’s hilarious to watch the clueless slate Wilshere, others saying the Ox not doing it for them, Monreal is hopeless, Arteta is sh*t, turning on Ramsay again, Mert is passed it…some criticism of Gibbs from some goin back a while…Welbeck a reject…hated Giroud but now we miss him….invalidates a lot of the loudest voices on here. Pure reactionary rubbish and anger and despair about their own feelings and the little bit of slagging they get from their friends down the local. And they lead the charge against Wenger.

As for poor Sanogo…feel free to check my posts. Anyone with a bias free persuasion would see the potential the guy has and the influence he had against Liverpool, Wigan and Hull in the FA Cup final last year in changing those games yet many of the same sheep ran with the no goals craic and again used it to beat Wenger. Watchin all those games last season it was easy to see what a better front man he is than Podolski who has seemed to warm his way into the heart of the easily flattered by his affectionate tweets and Instagram pictures. Absolute fact is every time he starts for us on the left or up front our performances have been poor attacking wise. A superman to get a goal and bring on but not for the balance or performance of the team as is easy to see.

Furthermore …there is only one reason Mesut Ozil and Alexis Sanchez are at Arsenal and as much as many here like to bury their head in the sand…… it’s Arsene Wenger. Ignore that as ever in yer arguments. Other than that…well we are Liverpool.

I look forward to our ultimate selection headache….Ozil, Walcott, Welbeck, Wilshere and most of all Koscielny back.

I await the typical comeback from the warriors on here about acceptance of failure, 4th, bring in Klopp, Wenger has lost it…

As I said at the start anyone expecting a title challenge this year seems a bit naive to me relative to other team’s situation. We are now on parity and are competing from here but why people think it will all happen in a year to me is bizarre. We need extraordinary improvements. Without doubt…let’s sack him in the morning so…..lets enter the world of Spur’s, Everton and Liverpool.

But I guess I am happy with 4th every year and am a Wenger apologist:rolleyes:

Good post and well put together.
    It does not however explain Wenger's poor tactics in some of our thrashings last season. Also the lack of a DM or CB over the summer transfer window cannot be explained away by "i believe he tried" type of reasons. I also disagree with the "lets enter the world of Spurs, Everton and Liverpool", we have never entered that world and all our managers got time to do their job.

I always said that I didn't care who managed Arsenal as long as our teams went out and gave their all win, lose or draw. We haven't always seen tactical awareness under Wenger of late and anyone who watched the Anderlecht game (plus many others) and thinks Wenger was faultless needs to look at it again. Managing a football team is not always about buying the best players but is also about doing your best with what you have. Teams with few exceptional players have often set up especially to defend and counter our game-plan and have often succeeded. Wenger often fails to get the best out of his teams and is often very slow to make the required changes when players are not performing.

As for the 4th place thing i often wonder how many titles we actually might have won with a bit more spending not on a 40 million player but on a good steady 5/7 million player.
    I also often wonder what has happened to our once famed scouts who seem to be turning out very little of late.

AND as always everyone is entitled to their opinion.

I'd say he'll easily get a club to pay those wages. His pedigree is first class. I don't think our system gets the best out of him though. I'd definitely keep him as a super sub. Plus he seems to have a genuine love for the club.

The only clubs that would pay 100K for Podolski would be the likes of Galatasaray or some American club.

From what i remember Podolski was on 50K per week at Koln. 100K is a lot of money which most clubs can't afford to offer. When you consider Sanchez is on something like 120K you can kinda see that Podolski is getting a little too much.

• Advertisement

Wenger supposedly said this morning that we'll make at least 1 signing in January.

The only clubs that would pay 100K for Podolski would be the likes of Galatasaray or some American club.

From what i remember Podolski was on 50K per week at Koln. 100K is a lot of money which most clubs can't afford to offer. When you consider Sanchez is on something like 120K you can kinda see that Podolski is getting a little too much.

4 year deal when he was 27.

One of the top scorers for Germany, performed well in the World Cup 2010, an International player with over 100 caps. This all has to be taken into account when drawing up a contract.

19 goals in his first two seasons from the Left-wing, a good few coming from the bench.

A good player to getting us to where we did in the FA Cup, important goal against Liverpool.

He's been worth it thus far in my opinion, the notion is now, that Wenger MUST sell to get his moneys worth, his market value is actually quite good and he's still 29! Could get his money back for him easily

.. but who's Wenger to please? Fans moan that we don't have good depth and then they moan when we're paying him too much money, to be fair, I don't think his wage is holding Wenger back from buying any other players .. so atm if the finances are right, I don't have a problem with what Podolski is on

We're going forward now, we shouldn't be worrying about finances anymore. That's a thing of the past

The sanchez thing is objective imo, 120k might be too little in other circumstances when you compare him to the likes of Rooney (300k)
    A top-half bundesliga side would easily draw poldi up an 80k + contract

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,183 ✭✭✭UnknownSpecies

4 year deal when he was 27.

One of the top scorers for Germany, performed well in the World Cup 2010, an International player with over 100 caps. This all has to be taken into account when drawing up a contract.

19 goals in his first two seasons from the Left-wing, a good few coming from the bench.

A good player to getting us to where we did in the FA Cup, important goal against Liverpool.

He's been worth it thus far in my opinion, the notion is now, that Wenger MUST sell to get his moneys worth, his market value is actually quite good and he's still 29! Could get his money back for him easily

.. but who's Wenger to please? Fans moan that we don't have good depth and then they moan when we're paying him too much money, to be fair, I don't think his wage is holding Wenger back from buying any other players .. so atm if the finances are right, I don't have a problem with what Podolski is on

We're going forward now, we shouldn't be worrying about finances anymore. That's a thing of the past

A top-half bundesliga side would easily draw him up an 80k + contract

So true what you say about people moaning at our lack of depth. If we want quality in depth, we're going to have to pay the wages to do so. I'm also happy to see Pod on the wage he's on. Although I do think he's underutilised, it's important to have players of his quality in back up. Whether or not he's happy to have that squad role is another story.

Wenger supposedly said this morning that we'll make at least 1 signing in January.

He could say mass

Wenger says Kos is ready to start!
    http://news.arseblog.com/2014/11/wenger-koscielny-is-ready-to-start/

With Debucy coming back in 2 weeks we'll soon have our starting back four :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Wenger says Kos is ready to start!
    http://news.arseblog.com/2014/11/wenger-koscielny-is-ready-to-start/

With Debucy coming back in 2 weeks we'll soon have our starting back four :eek:

touch wood !

• Registered Users Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭emergingstar

Seen this tweeted is this true

Chelsea have spent roughly 100m per position more than us in the last 10 years. City, same in 5. No wonder we are behind them!

This has no relevance to anything but I find it amusing nonetheless

https://pbs.twimg.com/tweet_video/B3ZYQieCYAAmsS8.mp4

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭symbolic

wonga77 wrote: »
    This has no relevance to anything but I find it amusing nonetheless

https://pbs.twimg.com/tweet_video/B3ZYQieCYAAmsS8.mp4

GIF for use in the future:

eoppz.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

Seen this tweeted is this true

Chelsea have spent roughly 100m per position more than us in the last 10 years. City, same in 5. No wonder we are behind them!

What would be more interesting and relevant would be the comparison for the last two seasons.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭Pierce_1991

Something to make us smile

Still get nervous watching that shootout though!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

What would be more interesting and relevant would be the comparison for the last two seasons.

They spend roughly 100 million per season.

We spent 80 this season and 40-50 the two previous.

If we're matching them on spend from now on we should see the results in a couple of seasons.

I get the wage comparison and it's justified in ways but look at players like Hazard and Costa - the most sought after players in their positions the summers they transferred.

No-fuss win needed today. Have to kick-start things soon like.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭emergingstar

Think we will only draw

Why are we on early Saturday after a Wednesday champions league game, away too

Not really fair

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭Augmerson

Jack Wilshere getting dogs abuse on Instagram after posting the picture of the tackle that put him out of action. No need for it but you leave yourself open to this stuff with social media.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,665 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

Augmerson wrote: »
    Jack Wilshere getting dogs abuse on Instagram after posting the picture of the tackle that put him out of action. No need for it but you leave yourself open to this stuff with social media.

Pretty sure he'll be concentrating on his recovery and not what a bunch of irrelevant clowns say on the internet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,177 ✭✭✭Irish Aris

That's it really. Need to build momentum.
    The only thing that concerns me is fatigue. Would have been better if we had an extra day.
    Augmerson wrote: »

Oh, the joys of the internet. . .:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭Mocha Joe

Pretty sure he'll be concentrating on his recovery and not what a bunch of irrelevant clowns say on the internet.

He put the picture up. He's acting the clown.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,940 ✭✭✭omega man

Mocha Joe wrote: »

He's probably just conscious that people might think he's crocked so the picture shows that the tackle that injured him was nasty enough. When you see the picture you can't just say oh well jack is made of glass etc etc.

Mocha Joe wrote: »

He's perfectly entitled to respond to articles he deems unfair or untrue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,456 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Anyone know if our game is on t.v. please?

Arsenal: Martinez, Chambers, Mertesacker, Koscielny, Monreal, Flamini, Ramsey, Welbeck, Alexis, Cazorla, Giroud

4-4-2 or 4-2-3-1?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,119 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

pyjmlh.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭G1032

Anyone know if our game is on t.v. please?

BT Sport

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement