Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

iPhone 6 in Dubai

• 02-10-2014 5:57pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 795 ✭✭✭

Hi I'm travelling to Dubai soon and just wondering if I buy an unlocked phone from the apple store there will it work here on O2 network. Thank you.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

In short, any unlocked iphone with a sim slot will work with any network anywhere, that's how phones are made.
    You can ask in the shop to make sure if you like.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,996 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

You may have a problem if a fault develops with the phone, as they are insisting in most cases that it is returned to the territory it was bought in, if it needs warranty repair.

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭Marklark

How much would you save buying in Dubai? Would it not be possible to buy it duty free in Dublin Airport on the way out?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 795 ✭✭✭Lima Golf

Hi thank you all for the replies. The price difference is €150 and me and my boyfriend are planning on getting one each. So it would mean a saving of €300 for us. I didn't know you could buy them in duty free I'm dublin airport, whereabouts in the airport are they for sale? Thank you.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,733 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Marklark wrote: »
    How much would you save buying in Dubai? Would it not be possible to buy it duty free in Dublin Airport on the way out?

No.
    no iPhones for sale in Ireland that are not attached to a network, unless bought online though www.apple.ie

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭cupthehand1

Lima Golf wrote: »
    Hi I'm travelling to Dubai soon and just wondering if I buy an unlocked phone from the apple store there will it work here on O2 network. Thank you.

UAE iPhones work on the same 4G frequency as Irish ones. Have you an online link for where in Dubai you will be buying?

UAE iPhones work on the same 4G frequency as Irish ones. Have you an online link for where in Dubai you will be buying?

Hi thanks for that, good to know. I've heard from a friend who lives there that's there's an apple store inside the virgin megastore in mall of the emirates. I don't have a link to it but it's an official store I'm told. So that's where I was planning to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭iSeano90

They will work, but FaceTime wil be disabled by default, and you won't be able to get it working- even if you do a restore over here. All iPhones sold in Dubai = absolutely no chance of FaceTime. There is no way round it- it's hard coded into them that there is to be no FaceTime.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,557 ✭✭✭The tax man

Hi thanks for that, good to know. I've heard from a friend who lives there that's there's an apple store inside the virgin megastore in mall of the emirates. I don't have a link to it but it's an official store I'm told. So that's where I was planning to go.

You'll find most places selling Apple products will have similar prices,much like here. iStyle in the Dubai Mall is like Compu b here. I bought a 5th gen iPod there and saved about €80 compared to here. Had to hunt for a 32gb iPad air when they came out but got one from a mall isle vendor. Both were cheaper than the so called Dubai duty free airport prices and way cheaper than here.

Happy shopping.:)

Anybody got any tips for buying iPhone from dubai? Considering it myself, saves about €100

• Advertisement

Marklark wrote: »
    Anybody got any tips for buying iPhone from dubai? Considering it myself, saves about €100

I'll let you know in about a week and a half how I got on if you like.

I'll let you know in about a week and a half how I got on if you like.

I'm there at the minute. All retailers appear to be selling higher than price on apple website, presumably due to short stock

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,083 ✭✭✭tom_tarbucket

iSeano90 wrote: »
    They will work, but FaceTime wil be disabled by default, and you won't be able to get it working- even if you do a restore over here. All iPhones sold in Dubai = absolutely no chance of FaceTime. There is no way round it- it's hard coded into them that there is to be no FaceTime.

Interesting, why is this ?

Some privacy thing or wha ?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,494 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Government interference?

Hi just an update. I had a look at the iPhone 6 in dubai in a few electronic stores. There's an apple store inside virgin megastore in the dubai mall. However they were priced higher than buying from apple uae store online. They worked out around €630. So I didn't bother getting one. A family member is going to take it home from the usa at Christmas instead. A member of staff in the apple outlet also said FaceTime would definitely not work. Mad to think it was more expensive in the apple store than online out there!

Advertisement