Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MYSQL help??

Options
  • 02-10-2014 6:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭

hi folks

This is doing my head in... had my home network up and running and had to relocate as I've changed jobs. Had a network up & running without internet connection for a couple of days using old kit and got connected to internet today. Only change of kit is a new VDSL modem as I switched from ADSL to fibre.

All devices seen ok, I can ping them etc. So, tried to start up my MYSQL database which is integral to my XBMC setup. Connected via PuTTy as usual, logged in as root and ran the command Service MYSQL Start. The service runs for a couple of seconds and then fails. No errors thrown. Running Service MYSQL Status shows MYSQL is shutdown and I can't seem to start it. I'm not good at MYSQL (I could just about start/stop it up to now) so would appreciate any troubleshooting tips please.

thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,343 ✭✭✭red_bairn

I used WAMP in my conversion course for MySQL. I found that it wouldn't connect sometimes when Skype was on. can't remember why...

• Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭Lpfsox

sorry red_bairn, thanks for your reply but what's WAMP? Not using Skype though.

• Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭Rambo

Check the log files in /var/lib/mysql

thanks Rambo, but at the risk of sounding terribly thick I don't know how to do that. To explain a bit further, my mysql database is on my NAS (Netgear ReadyNas Duo v2) and I'm not good at linux so while I can see it on my network and log in via PuTTy, I can't get much further.

ok, using Winscp (I'd forgotten about that), I got in and checked out /var/lib/mysql but there doesn't appear to be a log file there? there are files called ibdata1, ib_logfile0 and ib_logfile1 but when I open them it's just a load of junk...

• Advertisement

Update - I found the issue. When I changed ISP yesterday, my internal IP addresses changed slightly. I found a bind address in the my.cnf file which had the old IP in it. I changed that, restarted the NAS and MYSQL started up for me.

thanks to all who helped point me in the right direction :)

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭justjustin

What OS is the MySQL server running on? I'm assuming *buntu or similar.
    Did you have a static IP set on the box running the server?

You should post the output of the following command:
    cat /etc/mysql/my.cnf | grep bind-address

This should be identical to the IP address of your primary network connection, usually eth0, and the same IP you connect from PuTTy with.

May not be your issue but worth a look anyways.

to be honest justjustin I'm not certain of the OS other than it's some flavour of linux and yes, all clients on the network have static IP addresses. It's all running now so changing the bind address was the issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭justjustin

Lpfsox wrote: »
    to be honest justjustin I'm not certain of the OS other than it's some flavour of linux...

To find out the specific release, use:
    lsb_release -a

;)

Glad you got it sorted

I've never heard of internal IP addresses changing because of a change of an ISP.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭Plopli

red_bairn wrote: »
    I've never heard of internal IP addresses changing because of a change of an ISP.

Change of modem/router acting as dhcp server and the NAS box got another IP from the pool ?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. G

Plopli wrote: »
    Change of modem/router acting as dhcp server and the NAS box got another IP from the pool ?

Also some routers use x.x.x.1 instead of x.x.x.254 (TP-Link vs Netopia for example).

yep, new router as part of the deal (previously used ADSL, now using VDSL). Format is now xx.xx.1.xx instead of xx.xx.0.xx.

All good now, thanks again.

Lpfsox wrote: »
    yep, new router as part of the deal (previously used ADSL, now using VDSL). Format is now xx.xx.1.xx instead of xx.xx.0.xx.

All good now, thanks again.

Yeah, I was thinking it could be the only way but it was the way you phrased it :D

Advertisement