Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Should Billy no mates stay or go?

• 02-10-2014 6:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 945 ✭✭✭

I'm nearly 24 years old and just after spending the last 5 years in college. I have a part time job but not working in anything related to what I'm qualified in. Part of me wants to head off and go to Australia and another part of me is saying to stay and try and get a nice job in an office. This is because I could end up working at anything abroad as my qualifications are not relevant abroad.

Also none of my friends want to go as they are either all working or just don't want to go. What would you do?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

So do you have friends or not?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭fleet_admiral

Have a shite, you always have a clear head after a good pony

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭Donkey Oaty

WhiteWalls wrote: »
    my qualifications are not relevant abroad.

At the very least, they'll be a sign of ability. Don't sell yourself short.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,028 ✭✭✭✭--LOS--

But you're not able to find something related to your qualifications in Ireland? So you need to do something, Australia is a popular choice but you could also just go to Europe, then it's less of a commitment, you can easily come home any time, still see your friends etc. Germany and the Netherlands are the best countries for job opportunities for your age group at the moment. You will always meet new people and make new friends, you don't just have to stick with the same small core group of people you grew up with, that's a bad mentality of people who don't tend to branch out and travel and do new things. Why do you care if your friends go with you or not? It's better if you go alone and then you're forced to meet new people, it's a better experience in the end.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,622 ✭✭✭Ruu

If you go there will be trouble.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 945 ✭✭✭WhiteWalls

--LOS-- wrote: »
    But you're not able to find something related to your qualifications in Ireland? So you need to do something, Australia is a popular choice but you could also just go to Europe, then it's less of a commitment, you can easily come home any time, still see your friends etc. Germany and the Netherlands are the best countries for job opportunities for your age group at the moment. You will always meet new people and make new friends, you don't just have to stick with the same small core group of people you grew up with, that's a bad mentality of people who don't tend to branch out and travel and do new things. Why do you care if your friends go with you or not? It's better if you go alone and then you're forced to meet new people, it's a better experience in the end.

I haven't tried getting anything, I'm just sick of it all now after years of college

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Go. You don't want to end up in a house with 3 kids and a wife at 40 and sit there thinking "what if?".
    You can always come back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,652 ✭✭✭I am pie

Major life decision pending?

Consult AH. It's the smart move.

I am pie wrote: »
    Major life decision pending?

Consult AH. It's the smart move.

And I thought I was making a big deal of it? I'm thinking of moving myself. I don't have a wife and kids

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

Go abroad. You're young and single, without any major ties. Have some adventures, live a little and if you want to come back in the future you can. Nothing ventured nothing gained.:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,091 ✭✭✭Antar Bolaeisk

Go, try it out and see what it's like.

Alternatively stay and wonder what you could be doing now with your life as you stare out of the window, rain sheeting down, listening to some stranger drone on about how it's your fault their service is terrible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭strobe

What possible qualification could you have that is relevant in Ireland but not Australia.. ?

Potato inspector?

Irish language translator?

I'm intrigued OP... Explain yourself.

strobe wrote: »
    What possible qualification could you have that is relevant in Ireland but not Australia.. ?

Potato inspector?

Irish language translator?

I'm intrigued OP... Explain yourself.

National school teacher

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

If you can't get to Australia you could construct a reasonable facsimile of the experience by buying a sunbed and drinking in your local with a GAA shirt on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 123 ✭✭LucyLouLou

Ruu wrote: »
    If you go there will be trouble.
    If they stay it will be double

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,028 ✭✭✭✭--LOS--

I haven't tried getting anything, I'm just sick of it all now after years of college

Ok but you're only 24 and you spent 5 years in college, I'm 26, I started college when I was 17, I'm still in college, I'll be in college for a while yet because that's what I chose, who cares? People change what they do at all ages of their lives, it shouldn't affect your happiness. If you're really sick of it all then you need a change of scenery, try Amsterdam :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭sunshine and showers

National school teacher

I do believe there are primary schools hidden around Australia...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,096 ✭✭✭Daith

Go if the problem is with the location, stay if the problem is you

Wherever you go, you take yourself with you

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭strobe

National school teacher

Ah...

I'd say **** off to Australia on the working holiday visa for a year or two and just live it up, do the whole backpacker thing, ****ing stunning drunk 19 year old German nymphomaniacs for breakfast in shabby hostels and give Ireland another couple of years for the funds to build back up and them to be ready to hire teachers again so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

I'm nearly 24 years old and just after spending the last 5 years in college. I have a part time job but not working in anything related to what I'm qualified in. Part of me wants to head off and go to Australia and another part of me is saying to stay and try and get a nice job in an office. This is because I could end up working at anything abroad as my qualifications are not relevant abroad.

Also none of my friends want to go as they are either all working or just don't want to go. What would you do?
    For one... thanks for the thread title! :mad: :p

Definitely go and do it, you'll only regret it if you don't (and if you do go and don't like it, at least you will know). I got sick of waiting forever on friends to go a few years ago so just booked my visa and flights one night a little before my contract in work finished up and went over on my own.

I am delighted I did it, would still be over there if I didn't fall out with my employer when I was in the process of getting sponsored (long story, the place became unworkable and almost everyone quit in no time). It is far better going alone also, you just rock up in a hostel and there are 5-7 other people sharing a room with you, usually on their own or in groups of 2-3, you wind up talking away and go out on the piss together, meet other people in the same boat and so on and so on. You develop a social circle really quickly, to be honest.

Meanwhile Irish people I found are far and away the worst in average for being insular - go over in typically slightly larger groups, sometimes a whole pack of them, hang around only with Irish people, only go to Irish pubs, get jobs through Irish people working with and usually for Irish people, make very little effort to mingle with others outside the UK or Ireland (I got grief a few times off people I had met because "why are you always talking to @rsehole Aussies?") and many almost never leave the Irish hubs of St. Kilda in Melbourne or Bondi Junction in Sydney. Then they turn around and complain that they don't find the Aussies kind or welcoming! :pac:

Not saying all Irish people at all, but an awful lot. Meanwhile there are tonnes of locals, Kiwis, Brits, Germans, Brazilians and Scandinavians (and Scandinavian wimmins!) to get to know. I'm actually off to Canada either in December or January and this time around made an explicit point of going over alone.

Another big advantage people overlook is that you're not tied down by anyone else. You can go live where you want, when you want and not have to worry about any other commitments like friends wanting to stay/go/etc.

EDIT: I knew a few teachers over there by the way, and it was easy for them to get work once the school year started rolling back around. Be prepared to work in a bar, labouring, phone work or something your first few months - the pay is still good and they are great ways to meet people. Once the school year comes back around you should be set quite easily (and if you want to say, after health professions it's apparently the easiest profession to get sponsored in over there). Also, summer holidays in Australia? How could you argue with that? Also falls Christmas too if you feel like come g home for a week or two.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,098 ✭✭✭MonkeyTennis

Go. There'll be no craic without you but sure we'll soldier on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,551 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

Daith wrote: »
    Go if the problem is with the location, stay if the problem is you

Wherever you go, you take yourself with you

Everywhere you gooooo, always take the weather with you...

Advertisement