Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vapour question

Options
  • 02-10-2014 6:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭

Quick question

I know it's been asked before
    But my situation is quite specific

I work in a confined space " large van "
    With another worker
    No windows to open but and an air recirculating system .

I don't smoke
    But one of my co workers did and is now using an e cigarette
    We can spend over 10 hours in the van

I have been having headaches and sore throats since he started using it within 2 days

I have had problems with asthma a few years ago

I think there is no way round this but ask him to stop

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,555 ✭✭✭youdipstick

Quick question

I know it's been asked before
    But my situation is quite specific

I work in a confined space " large van "
    With another worker
    No windows to open but and an air recirculating system .

I don't smoke
    But one of my co workers did and is now using an e cigarette
    We can spend over 10 hours in the van

I have been having headaches and sore throats since he started using it within 2 days

I have had problems with asthma a few years ago

I think there is no way round this but ask him to stop

It just might be a coincidence that you have those ailments,the only thing that you should be breathing in is vapour which sometimes have a sweet smell,maybe your buddy is vaping with the incorrect kit or tell him to change his e-liquid to see if that works,its all guess work on my part as I have never vaped in an enclosed space,hope you are feeling better soon,you don't need headaches when you are driving.

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭working fool

It just might be a coincidence that you have those ailments,the only thing that you should be breathing in is vapour which sometimes have a sweet smell,maybe your buddy is vaping with the incorrect kit or tell him to change his e-liquid to see if that works,its all guess work on my part as I have never vaped in an enclosed space,hope you are feeling better soon,you don't need headaches when you are driving.

Thanks for that

Not sure where he gets his liquid from

I had a guy work with me a few weeks back and I had similar effects from the e cigarette

• Registered Users Posts: 2,555 ✭✭✭youdipstick

Thanks for that

Not sure where he gets his liquid from

I had a guy work with me a few weeks back and I had similar effects from the e cigarette

Sounds like an allergy,if your mate needs to vape,stick him in the back of the van:D:D:D if it is a van of course,sorry I can't help you & Good Luck with your decision.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

I'd tell your co worker to stick his ecig up his arse to be honest.

Even though the passive effects are pretty low, it's an ignorant thing to do in the cab of a van.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭EGriff

He hardly smoked in the van before did he? Tell him to use it outside the van.

You could be allergic to PG, one of the ingredients in the e-liquid. I didn't think it would effect people second hand though.

• Advertisement

I was on a weeks holiday
    And when I came back this had started
    He never asked was it ok
    Just said these are legal to use indoors

• Registered Users Posts: 1,847 ✭✭✭desbrook

I was on a weeks holiday
    And when I came back this had started
    He never asked was it ok
    Just said these are legal to use indoors

Yes but that doesn't give him a right especially in a workplace. Is it a big company OP?

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭nuttyboy79

It is legal to use indoors but that's not the issue. If it's genuinely making you unwell talk to him, if you're working in a confined space any smell that you don't produce yourself can be an issue be it an e cig., b.o. or even a new aftershave. Second hand vapour from an e cig. is not anywhere near as bad for you as a cigarette, but the fact still remains it's causing you issues. Ask him to change the liquid he is using it could be just as simple as that. I know I cant be around anyone wearing spicy smelling aftershave like Joop without feeling nauseous.

desbrook wrote: »
    Yes but that doesn't give him a right especially in a workplace. Is it a big company OP?

Yes it's pretty big
    They have a strict no smoking policy in company vehicles

• Registered Users Posts: 930 ✭✭✭jousting with chairs

Catch it and throw it out the window when ye are travelling at speed,if he can be that ignorant so can you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,847 ✭✭✭desbrook

Yes it's pretty big
    They have a strict no smoking policy in company vehicles

Rather than smoking per se this is a health and safety issue that your superiors will definitely be interested in. A letter from your doctor will set alarm bells ringing I'd say . They won't risk any possible legal actions in the future. Hse centres and bus eireann etc have already banned them don't forget.

I didn't want to be an ass about it

But the way things are goin he is being very ignorant about it
    After a week of it my throat is pretty sore
    And the headache comes and goes .

I'm taking Monday off to consult my doctor about it

Advertisement