Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PW Boards Unified LightHeavy/Crusierweight Championship Tournament

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭Griever931

Chavo.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

Chavo. I'd prefer Chris, but once again the limited about of time he had with the CW title edges him out for me.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,460 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Chavo for me too. Quarters will be much tougher to choose as the favorites thin out the herd in this round.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

Chavito

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

The former ECW alum loses out to the former ECW Champion in a straight flush. We have an interesting and more competitive tussle up next however.

Jamie Noble

The Redneck Messiah

538140.jpg

vs

Gregory Helms

aka The Hurricane/'Sugar' Shane Helms

26.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,165 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Jamie Noble, good wrestler, good character at the time, good professional, as illustrated by him keeping a job with the WWE

Ooh, a toughie. Noble though for me. Feel he was a slightly better wrestler, and had better matches

Ooh, a toughie. Noble though for me. Feel he was a slightly better wrestler, and had better matches

Yeah, Noble wins out over Helms here but its a close one.

Not much between them but I'll go with Gregory Helms, I liked his Hurricane character.

• Advertisement

Funnily enough, he never held the Cruiser Title as the Hurricane but did capture the Euro and Hardcore belts. I enjoyed his run in 2006 as the heel serious guy on Smackdown, held that title for ages and had a few champion vs champion matches too IIRC against US Champ Chris Benoit and World Champion Rey Mysterio.

Helms for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Moneymaker

I'd say Noble. He had a string of solid matches from 2002-2004 or so and I liked the whole trailer park schtick.

A very good encounter between two great cruiserweights. Jamie Nobles personality and good ring work see him through. Who's gonna join him in the next round?

Syxx/X-Pac

The Title Unifier

20010819_xpac_tajiri_USE.jpg

vs

Rey Misterio, Jr

Mr. 619

ReyMysterioJr012.jpg

Rey Mysterio without a doubt.

Rey Rey. Has to be favorite to win the tournament imo.

Rey. Greatest cruiserweight of all time.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,000 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

X-Pac

Never a fan of Rey. He's just too small to believe that he can beat anyone.

Ron Ron Mysterious all the way. Booyaka Booyaka, ow my knee!

Ron Mysterious/Rey Misterio is the penultimate man to book his spot in the quarter final stage of the contest. But it's not over yet. This one's gonna be Radical...

Eddie Guerrero

Fear The Mullet

tumblr_mf7f24lAtQ1rkf4k0o1_500.jpg

vs

Dean Malenko

The Man of 1000 Holds

DeanMalenko.jpg

Malenko. Guerrero had the better career undoubtedly, but if Mysterio was the finest cruiserweight of all time Malenko is arguably the greatest light heavyweight.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭Blue_Dabadee

Malenko for me aswell. Remeber his match with Scotty 2 Hotty at Backlash 2000.

I'll go with Guerrero.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭Machismo Fan

I've always been a Malenko guy. One of my favourite wrestlers.

I've got Eddie here. Loved watching Dean in WCW, loved Eddie more. A fantastic heel with some amazing cruiserweight / light heavyweight matches. Dem Brainbusters!

Malenko. The most under-rated in-ring wrestler of all time. The man was an artist in the ring.

Eddie I remember for things other then the CW division, but he had countless great matches too. It's pretty close but Malenko is one of the first guys I think of when I think of the CW/LHW divisions.

In a nod to the 1997 Light Heavyweight Tournament, I have decided to bracket the last 8 of the competition. Most of our stars are on an even keel here so it should provide some good contests. Also, it switches up the format a bit and some times change is good! We'll stick with 4 votes for win as that worked rather nicely in the last round. Here are the brackets of the quarter final.

Ultimo Dragon
    Billy Kidman
    Semi Finalist 1
    Semi Finalist 2
    Rey Misterio, Jr
    Chavo Guerrero
    Finalist 1
    Finalist 2
    Taka Michinoku
    Dean Malenko
    Semi Finalist 3
    Semi Finalist 4
    Matt Hardy
    Jamie Noble

Ultimo Dragon

The Cruiserweight Title is in there somewhere...

10titles.jpg

vs

Billy Kidman

WCW's Shooting Star

billykidman-1386765410.jpg

Think Ultimo might get the win here but I'm gonna go for Kidman. Had more of an impact in both WCW and WWE imo.

Hm, I think I have to go Kidman.

Ultimo was a case of what might have been. WWE very much dropped the ball with him. Kidman had a pretty good career and a finisher that was spectacular and very memorable to this day. Lot of good matches in WcW and WWE.

Shooting Star Press is instantly associated with him.(And Brock Lesnar for other reasons :pac: )

• Advertisement

I'll go with Billy Kidman. Although I would prefer Ultimo Dragon overall I don't think he was Cruiserweight champion for long in WCW?

Advertisement