Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PW Boards Unified LightHeavy/Crusierweight Championship Tournament

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

I think Kidman is more synonomus with the American cruiser scene whereas Dragon is more versed internationally. So for that reason, as the others have said, Kidman wins on his WCW and WWE merits.

Rey Misterio, Jr

Mr. 619

ReyMysterioJr012.jpg

vs

Chavo Guerrero

Ooooooh Chavo!

chavo_guerrero.gif

Bonus match: Check out Rey Mysterio's WWE debut against Chavo

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,460 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

This is going to be controversial, but I'm giving Chavo my vote here. Enjoyed his work, and I don't really like Mysterio.

Do you know what Necro, I'm gonna second that. Mysterio has never evolved really. Undoubtedly one of the finest cruisers ever but he never really excited me as a full package. Chavo could play the fool with Pepe the horse, the sinister heel in his I Quit match with Rey, the funny Los Guerrero stereotype with Uncle Eddie, then the jealous angle with him too. In WWE, Rey never changed anything once. Very stale.

So Chavo gets my vote.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,728 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

Im actually the opposite I know Chavo is good but he never really appealed to me and perhaps Raw didn't evolve that much past his CW self but this is the LHW/CW tournie and he was great as that. I kinda hope he doesent win the thing but Mysterious Ron gets my vote

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Moneymaker

It's definitely true Rey never evolved or changed things up. But the fact is, as a CW/LHW, Rey excelled. It was all about delivering high flying, fast paced in-ring action and in his prime, there were few better.

Chavo was good and pretty under-rated but Rey wins here.

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭Griever931

Although it's true his character stayed the same in WWE and his injury record is not the greatest I am still going with Mysterio. In his prime the best cruiserweight imo although I may be biased with my nostalgia of watching him wrestle as a youth.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭Blue_Dabadee

Rey was in his prime during WCW and early WWE, but after 2006 he got stale in the ring where as Chavo has always been good in the ring.

So I will give my vote to Chavo.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

Ron Ron for me. Far more exciting to watch than Kerwin Whyte

• Registered Users Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭Machismo Fan

Rey easily. Astoundingly good wrestler.

• Advertisement

Wow! That's match of the tournament without a doubt. Ron of Mystery beats out one of his best rival as we say goodbye to Chavito Heat.

Taka Michinoku

WWF's Inaugural Light Heavyweight Champion

19_MiscStudio012-1

vs

Dean Malenko

The Man of 1000 Holds

DeanMalenko.jpg

Malenko easily. Good run by Taka, but it has to end here for reasons I've already stated.

Malenko. Far better wrestler with killer matches back in the day. Loved TAKA too, loved him after his debut in the WWF. But gotta go with Dean

Malenko. Taka was good but Malenko, along with Rey pretty much defined what LHW/CW action was all about.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,728 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

Big fan of taka but malenko is someone I'd be happy to see win this thing so he gets my vote

An absolutely brutal round for Taka but a stellar one for Dean. Is there enough support here for the Iceman to go all the way in this thing? He's seldomly been voted against thus far. We shall see. One last spot up for grabs in the Semi Final. Two Southern boys are gonna duke it out. Just for the giggles, we'll include them in their most successful gimmick photos.

Matt Hardy

Version 1.0

tumblr_m8rpp33vAd1ql0k28o1_500.png

vs

Jamie Noble

The Redneck Messiah

tumblr_inline_nc6jkuRFce1qkfsam.jpg

Gonna go for Noble. I never really enjoyed Matt Hardy's work to be honest. As part of the Hardy Boys, ya. But not as a singles guy,

Jamie on the other hand was great.

Good run for Matt but Noble wins out for me.

He was probably the guy i'd associate most with WWEs LHW division that didn't come from WcW

• Registered Users Posts: 11,000 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

Overall I prefer Noble, but the V1 Mattitude stuff was the highlight of Hardy's career, so my vote goes to Matt Hardy in this round.

Moneymaker wrote: »
    Good run for Matt but Noble wins out for me.

He was probably the guy i'd associate most with WWEs LHW division that didn't come from WcW

He did come from there. He was in the Jung Dragons stable with Kaz Hiyashi and Jimmy Yang. Called Jamie-San and wore a lone ranger mask to hide the fact he wasn't Asian. Then split from them and unmasked as Jamie Knoble.

• Advertisement

I'll give my vote to Matt. It's a tough call and both are deserved QFs but as said already Matts V-1 run with Shannon Moore as his lackey was his best work in any promotion. Great payoff at WM with Rey too.

Omackeral wrote: »
    He did come from there. He was in the Jung Dragons stable with Kaz Hiyashi and Jimmy Yang. Called Jamie-San and wore a lone ranger mask to hide the fact he wasn't Asian. Then split from them and unmasked as Jamie Knoble.

That was probably after I quit watching Nitro. :pac:

I'll go with Matt Hardy for the same reasons, the Version 1 character was pretty entertaining.

• Registered Users Posts: 523 ✭✭✭Zemuppet

Have to go for Hardy. Throughly enjoyed his against Rey at WM 19

• Registered Users Posts: 1,448 ✭✭✭Garseys

Noble for me, I loved the V1 gimmick for Matt but I just think that Noble brought more to the table as champ.

The Leader of Mattitude just edges out the the King of the Trailer Park in another epic quarter final encounter. We are down to our final four lads. All 4 of these champions know each other very well. Should be interesting.
    First Cruiserweight to get five votes will make it to the final.

Ultimo Dragon
    Billy Kidman
    Billy Kidman
    Rey Misterio, Jr
    Rey Misterio, Jr
    Chavo Guerrero
    Finalist 1
    Finalist 2
    Taka Michinoku
    Dean Malenko
    Dean Malenko
    Matt Hardy
    Matt Hardy
    Jamie Noble

Billy Kidman

WCW's Shooting Star

billykidman-1386765410.jpg

vs

Rey Misterio, Jr

Mr. 619

ReyMysterioJr012.jpg

kidman-s-running-shooting-star-press-o.gif

tumblr_mz9lvqgfL41s1uj0qo1_400.gif

IIRC weren't Mysterio and Kidman the last cruiserweight tag champs in WCW? I will go with Mysterio, although I like Billy Kidman I would prefer Mysterio overall.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭Machismo Fan

Rey. Rey is just brilliant.

• Advertisement

Two great CW, but Rey Rey wins out for reasons i've mentioned before. He practically pioneered the genre and every great CW match when Nitro was hot featured him.

Advertisement