Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

125 cc bike

• 02-10-2014 9:03pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32

hi im 16 and i want to know can i get a 125cc bike and if so what do i have to do to get it thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,469 ✭✭✭SweetCaliber

Hey there,

To get a license you must follow a couple of steps.

1. Theory Test:
    You need to pass this in order to get a license, it's 40 questions about basic road knowledge and rules of the road. You need to get at least 35 out of the 40 to pass. You have 45 minutes to complete it.

Official study materials can be bought on their website and usually found in libraries.

http://www.theorytest.ie/driver-theory-test/

When completed you will get a cert that lasts for 2 years that you use to get your license, you must bring this with a completed application form, ID, and passport sized photos to your nearest NDLS center. More on this can be found here:

http://www.ndls.ie/en/learner-permit/how-to-apply.html

2. Initial Basic Training (IBT):

Even though you now have your license, until you complete your Initial Basic Training, it's illegal for you to drive on Public Roads on your own, you can only drive with an accompanying fully licensed motorcyclist.

The Initial Basic Training is a mandatory training course that teaches basic riding skills to learner motorcyclists. It consists of four modules that last 16 hours and usually take place over two days.

In my opinion, it is well worth it, and I'd be a lot less confident on the road if I haven't done it.

You can search for local IBT schools or find ones around the country here:

http://www.rsa.ie/en/RSA/Learner-Drivers/Motorcyclists/Initial-basic-training-IBT-for-motorcyclists/Find-an-IBT-Instructor/

It's usually cheaper to do it with another rider or you can do it alone, all schools are different and it's really whatever you feel comfortable doing.

Once your IBT is done and you have passed it, then you can drive alone on the roads.

Remember though, you are not allowed drive on Motorways while being a learner driver.

You must also wait 6 months before applying for your full driving test.

A word of advice, if you don't have a motorbike already, I'd hold off on buying one until you do your IBT. You might end up not liking motorbiking at all, or might not be ready and then you would have the hassle of trying to sell the bike again.

Or, for example most schools, if not all provide bikes to train you on, so depending on the bike, you might prefer it.

Another thing is, most, again if not all IBT instructors offer insurance assessments, so once your done your IBT your eligible for a discount off your insurance.

One last thing, don't forget your L jacket!

There might be a couple of things I am leaving out here, If so I'm sure others will let you know, just telling you everything based on my experience of becoming a motorcyclist with all the recent laws.

Last but not least, be safe and have fun, in my opinion motorbiking is absolutely fantastic, you become much more aware of your surroundings, and get to travel in a very unique way and of course, meet very unique and awesome people who also share the same passion.

UPDATE:

Forgot the mention, when choosing a bike, make sure to research the specifications and make sure it complies to the limits set under the license category.

There are a load of 125cc bikes out there that you cannot get when 16.

Also make sure your insurance company will insure you on the bike, get the registration off the bike before buying and get a quote and make sure you can get a quote.

Also make sure the bike is in good nick, has a logbook, never hand over money until you see and inspect the log book. If your not 100% sure on whether the bike is in good shape, bring someone that knows what they're talking about or ask to have it checked in a garage (most likely at your expense).

Just because a bike might look clean, and run, doesn't mean it's trouble free. Make sure when looking at it the engine isn't hot (as it was out on a spin and engine was warm so it might run well) etc...

Best of luck.

Advertisement