Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Studying medicine

Options
  • 02-10-2014 9:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭

I'm a leaving cert student strongly considering studying medicine. I am only able to apply to UCD, NUIG and RCSI because I only do one science subject - chemistry. I am confident I could get the points and have a few questions.

1. I don't do biology. Would this cause a big problem and be a big disadvantage?

2. After completing the course you do an intern year. Is this fully paid? After this can you take a year or two out to go travelling or do you need to start working straight away?

3. Are working hours and conditions as bad as they are made out to be? If they are, what are jobs like in other countries?(Australia, New Zealand etc.)

4. Lastly and of least importance what is the salary like as you move up the ladder? Are most people made consultants and if so at around what age? Is this comparable to other countries?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭QueenBee1

All I can gather from your post is how much you are going to earn at the end of it all, nothing about the hard work, study, or the patient which come wayyy before the salary. Medicine is not a career just for money there is a huge responsibility for other peoples lives, if you want money go be an accountant or solicitor

All I can gather from your post is how much you are going to earn at the end of it all, nothing about the hard work, study, or the patient which come wayyy before the salary

All I can gather from your post is how much you are going to earn at the end of it all, nothing about the hard work, study, or the patient which come wayyy before the salary

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭Blue giant

Sorry could you repeat that again? :pac: :pac: :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭AndrewJD

Blue giant wrote: »
    I'm a leaving cert student strongly considering studying medicine. I am only able to apply to UCD, NUIG and RCSI because I only do one science subject - chemistry. I am confident I could get the points and have a few questions.

1. I don't do biology. Would this cause a big problem and be a big disadvantage?

2. After completing the course you do an intern year. Is this fully paid? After this can you take a year or two out to go travelling or do you need to start working straight away?

3. Are working hours and conditions as bad as they are made out to be? If they are, what are jobs like in other countries?(Australia, New Zealand etc.)

4. Lastly and of least importance what is the salary like as you move up the ladder? Are most people made consultants and if so at around what age? Is this comparable to other countries?

1. Not really
    2. Yes. You can take a year out then.
    3. Depends where you are. Some are as bad as they say and some are much better, depending on your grade, the specialty and the hospital. You'd have to ask people in those countries, but generally jobs are hard to get now there as they ramp up their medical schools.
    3. You can google that. Consultancy is typically 10-14 years after leaving medical school.

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭e92335i

For salary info google 'HSE Payscales'

Advertisement