Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Self Employed Tax 2013

Options
  • 02-10-2014 9:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

Hi all. I was self employed in 2013, but I got a full time PAYE job in May 2013 also. Most of my self employed income stopped around then also. I am doing a self assessment tax return. I was going thru the form, and it asks if I have any income from Employments, I take it that this means PAYE job. Do I need to put this on the return, as surely I have already payed the tax for my full-time PAYE job each week during the rest 2013??
    Tagged:

Comments

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

There should be a section for paye employments. They wont tax you twice but youve probably used a lot of yourtax credits etc in your paye job and it might also bump you up to a higher rate

• Registered Users Posts: 4 meosimon

Do i need to get my P60 to see what has been paid? or something else from my employer? Cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,886 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Your P60 tells you what you need to know.

fyi: because you didn't complete the form by the end of August, you are responsible for calculating the tax due yourself - and (officially at least) there is a penalty for not doing so. I think that doing this calculation is rather difficult if you don't use ROS.

I wouldn't be surprised if most people miss this - I didn't notice it myself until I'd almost completed the form, but thankfully I did it before the end of August so didn't get caught.

Thanks again. I have downloaded a programme from ROS that calculates the tax, which is handy.
    There are a few things I am not sure of. I'd have a very simple set of accounts to do, maybe 20 invoices from myself to clients for work done, and I have based my expenses on previous years as I did use an accountant for the past ten years and I have all those figures to hand. Im not sure of things like Capital Allowances, the Capital Account and Balance Sheet Items, Adjusted Net Profit etc... Its all a bit confusing, even reading the explanations, but I dont want to pay an accountant again. What did you guys do, can you put in a few figures for Profit and Expenditure etc nd leave a lot of them blank. I only worked up to end of April as self employed and will be deregistering from my Self Employed status also.
    Thanks again...

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

Capital allowances is tax depreciation. 12.5 of any capital items used by the business and it can be claimed for 8 years after acquisition.

Ask your accountant for a schedule of capital allowances already claimed. I'm not sure you will get it but its your best chance to figure out your ca position.

• Advertisement

I just left a lot of things blank.

Once I start making enough to justify the accountant's fee, then I'll be claiming the more complicated things. Until then I'm just not claiming for some things I could be (eg capital cost of the laptop).

Thanks again for all the advice.
    I am stuck on another section.
    I have changed the accounting period for 2013 as I ceased trading on 28th April.
    It tells me that I need to do a review of Income Tax for 2012.
    2012 was assesses normally from 1st Jan to 31st Dec. I dont know what they are asking for.
    Or why! Nothing has changed to alter 2012 accounts so what are they looking for here?
    Sections are like this:
    Profits assessable in 2012 year of assessment _______
    Revised profits assessable in 2012 year of assessment _______
    Any ideas on this?
    Thanks again.

Also, can I claim PAYE TAX Credit. I earned more in my PAYE job than in self employment. Does that mean I qualify??

Either ring Revenue and ask the, or ask an accountant. Personally I'd just stick to zeros - but that may be wrong.

And yes, if you were a PAYE employee, you can claim the PAYE tax credit.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

meosimon wrote: »
    Thanks again for all the advice.
    I am stuck on another section.
    I have changed the accounting period for 2013 as I ceased trading on 28th April.
    It tells me that I need to do a review of Income Tax for 2012.
    2012 was assesses normally from 1st Jan to 31st Dec. I dont know what they are asking for.
    Or why! Nothing has changed to alter 2012 accounts so what are they looking for here?
    Sections are like this:
    Profits assessable in 2012 year of assessment _______
    Revised profits assessable in 2012 year of assessment _______
    Any ideas on this?
    Thanks again.

Also, can I claim PAYE TAX Credit. I earned more in my PAYE job than in self employment. Does that mean I qualify??

Honestly see an accountant regarding cessation or if not this may help, I'm not going to give professional advice on a potentially complex matter on message forum
    http://www.charteredaccountants.ie/taxsource/1997/en/act/pub/0039/nfg/sec0067-nfg.html

As to the paye credit assuming you have enough paye income to utilise it you can claim it.

Advertisement