Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Jobseeker's claim penalty?

Options
  • 02-10-2014 9:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭

I got a letter on the 25th of September that said I had been selected to attend the Intreo jobs and advice fair in Carlow on the 2nd of October between 11am and 12:30pm, It also said failure to attend may result in review of my payment.

I was up all last night and today with a stomach bug so I couldn't attend it, I called the intreo office and explained why I wasn't able to attend and they told me if I didn't have a doctor cert my JA claim would get penalties on it, I explained that I hadn't went to my doctor (it was just a stomach bug after all and my doctor is fully booked until Monday) and thus had no way of getting a doctor cert, they told me to ring the enployment services office and tell them what had happened I tried ringing them about 20 times but there was no answer.

I'm going to try ring them again in the morning but was wondering what exactly a penalty on a claim is? and is it permanent? Any help would be appriciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭Cushie Butterfield

Firstly, doctor's cert or no doctor's cert you wouldn't be entitled to a Jobseeker's payment if you weren't available for work that day, so at the very least I'd expect one day docked from your JSA payment next week. Anything more would seem a bit harsh especially if it's your first 'offence' but it would be up to whoever is dealing with your specific case. A note will be put on your file, but once you sort things out with them & comply fully with any future requests you shouldn't have any further problems.

Just make sure that you do contact them tomorrow & if you can't it might be a good idea to present yourself at your local DSP/intreo office, explain again what happened & get them to put a note on your file that you made the effort to go there - at least that way you will have 'proved' your availability for work the following day. Explaining face to face is always better than by phone/email.

Advertisement