Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is anyone else sick of this?

Options
  • 02-10-2014 9:59pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 392 ✭✭

Hey

I am a postgrad student looking for a room in Dublin. I don't expect much: a bed and a desk in the room, access to bathroom and kitchen in the house. I have been looking for a few weeks now and just absolutely sick of it. I look at rooms I honestly would not put an animal into and the landlord usually wants 400+ per month. I was viewing some basement in Ranelagh before. It was an impoverished hovel. The guy wanted 500 pm and would not budge. He smugly suggested I find a room-mate to cut the costs. I mean this place was such a sh***ole that a cell in Guantanamo would be a step up.

What is happening? Why are we forced to pay such exuberant rates for awful accommodation? Do these people simply know that if you don't take it, some gullible first year who only cares about puking up his parents wages in Temple Bar will?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 740 ✭✭✭Aka Ishur

Hey

I am a postgrad student looking for a room in Dublin. I ......arents wages in Temple Bar will?

Me: then go do the post grad somewhere else.

You: no I need to be in Dublin

Me: so does everyone else

You didn't cover supply demand in all your studies? Until people say screw that I'm gonna live somewhere cheaper rents will rise.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

Why don't you rent a room in the suburbs and cycle in?

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,505 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

What is happening? Why are we forced to pay such exuberant rates for awful accommodation? Do these people simply know that if you don't take it, some gullible first year who only cares about puking up his parents wages in Temple Bar will?

Thats an odd comment. People need a roof over their heads. Try looking further out of town maybe celbridge or lucan

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

I was viewing some basement in Ranelagh before. It was an impoverished hovel. The guy wanted 500 pm and would not budge

I bet thats the same place I looked at about 10 years ago. Guys daughter showed me around and said it was "Cosy". It looked like something out of Peig. And it was chilly in September. I bet it was freezing in November.
    Thats an odd comment. People need a roof over their heads. Try looking further out of town maybe celbridge or lucan

Whats odd about it?

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,505 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

syklops wrote: »
    I bet thats the same place I looked at about 10 years ago. Guys daughter showed me around and said it was "Cosy". It looked like something out of Peig. And it was chilly in September. I bet it was freezing in November.

Whats odd about it?

The assumption that there are masses of gullible first year students who want to go drinking in temple bar and are happy to pay high prices for rent

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭lau1247

Lack of available housing and location is your problem, Ranelagh is very handy to get into city centre.. So you'd expect it to cost a good bit even if the place is crap..

West Dublin, ☀️ 7.83kWp ⚡5.66 kWp South West, ⚡2.18 kWp North East

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

If you think that's bad, look at London, almost twice as bad.

You're going to have to re evaliate things, consider college somewhere else if you can't afford it.

Or check out the more undesirable suburbs, definteky possible to get a good spacious room for 400 north Dublin suburbs, also try north inner city.

• Registered Users Posts: 359 ✭✭justback83

Hey

I am a postgrad student looking for a room in Dublin. I don't expect much: a bed and a desk in the room, access to bathroom and kitchen in the house. I have been looking for a few weeks now and just absolutely sick of it. I look at rooms I honestly would not put an animal into and the landlord usually wants 400+ per month. I was viewing some basement in Ranelagh before. It was an impoverished hovel. The guy wanted 500 pm and would not budge. He smugly suggested I find a room-mate to cut the costs. I mean this place was such a sh***ole that a cell in Guantanamo would be a step up.

Having the same experience...We're a couple in our 30's looking for somewhere around Ranelagh/Rathmines. The places we've seen have been unbelievably horrible. I can't believe they are getting away with it!! It needs to be regulated!!

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭BookBook

I no longer know about rooms to rent but I can tell you houses to rent can be similar. Crappy sofa's and beds that are so uncomfortable, unmatched furniture, furniture and curtains that look like they are from the 70's, scabby looking kitchen presses. Landlords who won't allow you to get your own furniture as they have no where to put their pieces of rubbish.

Any decent places to rent seem to be ex owner occupiers or landlords who only own one or two properties.

I doubt you will get much sympathy here though due to the amount of landlords.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,723 ✭✭✭ec18

BookBook wrote: »
    I no longer know about rooms to rent but I can tell you houses to rent can be similar. Crappy sofa's and beds that are so uncomfortable, unmatched furniture, furniture and curtains that look like they are from the 70's, scabby looking kitchen presses. Landlords who won't allow you to get your own furniture as they have no where to put their pieces of rubbish.

Any decent places to rent seem to be ex owner occupiers or landlords who only own one or two properties.

I doubt you will get much sympathy here though due to the amount of landlords.

and due to the fact that everyone trying to rent is in the same boat. Since i've moved to Dublin my rents increased 200euro for no increase in standard

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

Dublin 15 has good bus runs into the city and a train line. There used to be a bus to UCD also don't know if this is still running.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 947 ✭✭✭zef

Dublin 15 has good bus runs into the city and a train line. There used to be a bus to UCD also don't know if this is still running.

Yep it is, 39/39a's terminate in Belfield and are very regular. Every 10 mins approx peak hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭qdawg86

Hey

They see you queuing up for the places in D4/6 and rub their hands with glee :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

zef wrote: »
    Yep it is, 39/39a's terminate in Belfield and are very regular. Every 10 mins approx peak hours.

Thanks zef.. people just need to start thinking outside of the usual areas and they will be surprised with what they find.

http://www.dublinbus.ie/Your-Journey1/Timetables/

• Registered Users Posts: 7,223 ✭✭✭Michael D Not Higgins

I don't understand what people expect. Do they think 400+ for sharing a house in Dublin 6 is expensive?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 523 ✭✭✭tenifan

So let me get this straight.. you want to live within walking distance of the city centre so you don't have any transport costs, pay no more than €400 per month in rent, and get a reasonable standard of accommodation?

Who doesn't?!

Look, my transport costs are about €400 a month because I don't live in Dublin but I work here. If I lived here, I'd be paying over twice as much for accommodation. Life just isn't fair.

You're doing a post-grad. Do you even need to live in the city, or why do you feel the need to compete with professionals who earn enough money to pay the going rate for rent? When I was studying I did most of my study from home, and when I had to make it to college for a few hours I took the bus (usually 3 days a week from Palmerstown, where I rented from an acquaintance at a more reasonable rate).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,780 ✭✭✭Frank Lee Midere

tenifan wrote: »
    So let me get this straight.. you want to live within walking distance of the city centre so you don't have any transport costs, pay no more than €400 per month in rent, and get a reasonable standard of accommodation?

Who doesn't?!

Look, my transport costs are about €400 a month because I don't live in Dublin but I work here. If I lived here, I'd be paying over twice as much for accommodation. Life just isn't fair.

You're doing a post-grad. Do you even need to live in the city, or why do you feel the need to compete with professionals who earn enough money to pay the going rate for rent? When I was studying I did most of my study from home, and when I had to make it to college for a few hours I took the bus (usually 3 days a week from Palmerstown, where I rented from an acquaintance at a more reasonable rate).

"Life just isn't fair" is just to accept the present unfairness rather than do anything about it. I wonder where all our unused property went to?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,663 ✭✭✭MouseTail

I wonder where all our unused property went to?

What unused property? We never had a high vacancy rate in the capital.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭gaius c

MouseTail wrote: »
    What unused property? We never had a high vacancy rate in the capital.
    For the 2011 census, it was about double the vacancy rate during the nineties and we didn't have a panic like this.

Who doesn't?!

I highlighted the important bit for you. You work and have income coming in to be able to afford both paying accommodation costs and commuting. He doesn't so paying for both accom & commuting costs are likely to cause his problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭tinz18

While this might be suitable for someone doing a postgrad where research is literature based, for postgrads that do labwork/are in science it would be a pretty hard slog and missing days is not an option. Some days its a case of going in at 8am and leaving at 10pm six to seven days a week. Also, to those asking why don't they do a postgrad out of Dublin- depending on area of research/grants and experts, the postgrads may only be available in Dublin- it does have the majority of universities.

• Advertisement

gaius c wrote: »
    I highlighted the important bit for you. You work and have income coming in to be able to afford both paying accommodation costs and commuting. He doesn't so paying for both accom & commuting costs are likely to cause his problems.

Yup. No work = no money. No money limits choices. I did the student thing before, including saving hard for a year to do a course. Currently, I can afford to run a car. When I just started my current job I relied on a lift and working around some one else's schedule.

If the op's post-grad has potential for higher earnings, then it would make sense to take out some sort of loan for the luxury of a low commute time/prime location. Pay€800 a month, or an extra €300 over the slum rate, is about €3500 extra for the year.
    Personally, I don't like taking out loans when I can avoid it due to the uncertainty they bring, so I'd take the hard slog now.
    tinz18 wrote: »
    While this might be suitable for someone doing a postgrad where research is literature based, for postgrads that do labwork/are in science it would be a pretty hard slog and missing days is not an option. Some days its a case of going in at 8am and leaving at 10pm six to seven days a week.

Yes, my course was a business course. Throughout study money was always an issue for me as I didn't qualify for grants (after Leaving Cert), and later had to save my own money to fund further study. So no city centre penthouse for me either.

I still stand by my point, unless you're willing to take out a loan you just need to make sacrifices and compromises.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 879 ✭✭✭TheBandicoot

Why don't you rent a room in the suburbs and cycle in?

Can I ask what people consider a reasonable amount of time to spend cycling? From my current home(my parent's house in West Dublin) Google says it would be just over an hour cycling, which I cannot imagine doing every morning and evening, when I am most wrecked.

Having said that, it took 1h45m door-to-door on the bus home last night(took a 39 instead of a 39a). Usually it is more like 1hr10m ish.

EDIT: also, it's not like prices are actually any cheaper in the suburbs any more. Had a quick look, the majority of rooms to let in the D15 area(south of the N3) are over t€400 for example. Not all, but more of them than not.

EDIT2: On the bus home last night I passed a viewing of this place, the entire house looked jammed with people and they were spilling out/queuing all the way out the driveway.

EDIT3: I'm not convinced on Google's cycle directions at all tbh, it recommends stuff like cycling the wrong way down Tara St and Pearse St- how am I meant to do that safely? A less suicidal route is 1h15.

• Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭Eldarion

No. I'm not sick of this. €400 per month is pittance to spend on accommodation in a European capital, you're deluding yourself if you think otherwise.

Cut your cloth or do what the Americans do and get a student loan to pay for your college years.

Can I ask what people consider a reasonable amount of time to spend cycling? From my current home(my parent's house in West Dublin) Google says it would be just over an hour cycling, which I cannot imagine doing every morning and evening, when I am most wrecked.

Having said that, it took 1h45m door-to-door on the bus home last night(took a 39 instead of a 39a).

I'd say 30-40 mins each way. I walk to work and it's 20-25 mins which is a breeze, cycling for 10 minutes more than that should be easy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 879 ✭✭✭TheBandicoot

Eldarion wrote: »
    No. I'm not sick of this. €400 per month is pittance to spend on accommodation in a European capital, you're deluding yourself if you think otherwise.

How does Dublin compare to other European capitals in terms of quality of life/infrastructure etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭desertcircus

With a basic secondhand road bike, ten kilometres should be doable in half an hour, which won't get you particularly sweaty. That's a pretty generous radius to work with given an initial outlay of 200-300 euro and maybe a tenner a month in running costs. Looking for a nice room for 400 a month in one of the most expensive parts of the entire country is a fool's errand; you simply won't find one. Look further out and get yourself a bike and you'll have much more by way of options.

How does Dublin compare to other European capitals in terms of quality of life/infrastructure etc?

Fairly well I'd imagine.

The op was complaining about having to pay high rent in an area where he would not use public transport (and right beside the luas and bus routes) so it's hard to see the point you're making about infrastructure.

For quality of life, well I never liked Dublin but I know a lot of people who love living there. There are a lot of high paying jobs in the city centre so I reckon quality of life for a lot of people is just fine. Even the junkies enjoy sunning themselves in the city centre.

Better in some, worse in others, and it all depends on where you're comparing it with. Looking at Madrid:
    http://www.numbeo.com/cost-of-living/compare_cities.jsp?country1=Ireland&country2=Spain&city1=Dublin&city2=Madrid
    The rent is 20-30% cheaper, but they are paid 40% less.

In London:
    http://www.numbeo.com/cost-of-living/compare_cities.jsp?country1=Ireland&city1=Dublin&country2=United+Kingdom&city2=London
    You get paid 15% more, but rent can be double.

• Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭Eldarion

European report here from 2013 to peruse at your leisure. Dublin comes in about middle of the road for most metrics.

http://ec.europa.eu/regional_policy/sources/docgener/studies/pdf/urban/survey2013_en.pdf

Some highlights for the lazy.

Public Transport: http://i.imgur.com/o1rk1FQ.png
    Health Care services: http://i.imgur.com/pAaVKEF.png
    Sports facilities: http://i.imgur.com/fdmdWYK.png
    Culture: http://i.imgur.com/qpQodzT.png
    Schools: http://i.imgur.com/yzPpI3R.png

Cleanliness of air: Ranked #1: http://i.imgur.com/GFnQEAw.png

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭desertcircus

The upshot of those numbers is that if you don't have kids, you should move to Vienna.

Advertisement