Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is anyone else sick of this?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 879 ✭✭✭TheBandicoot

Yeah, to be honest, as a young software developer with a few years experience and no debt or dependents, it sometimes feels to me as if I could move almost anywhere in the world, get a new job, and have a better quality of life than I get in Dublin living in my parent's box room. Probably a case of 'grass is always greener' though.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,223 ✭✭✭Michael D Not Higgins

Yeah, to be honest, as a young software developer with a few years experience and no debt or dependents, it sometimes feels to me as if I could move almost anywhere in the world, get a new job, and have a better quality of life than I get in Dublin living in my parent's box room. Probably a case of 'grass is always greener' though.

You should look into it at least. There's a lot to be said for living abroad and now's the time to do it when life isn't tying you to commitments at home. Careerwise, in many sectors you can gain experience elsewhere you can't get in Dublin. And culturally, you get a completely different feel for a place when you live there rather than just visiting on a holiday (think tourists in Temple Bar).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭gaius c

Eldarion wrote: »
    No. I'm not sick of this. €400 per month is pittance to spend on accommodation in a European capital, you're deluding yourself if you think otherwise.

Cut your cloth or do what the Americans do and get a student loan to pay for your college years.

Dublin is something like the 53rd or 54th biggest city in Europe. It's the 3rd smallest capital. This constant comparing of a medium sized city to European powerhouses is getting fairly tedious at this stage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 523 ✭✭✭tenifan

gaius c wrote: »
    Dublin is something like the 53rd or 54th biggest city in Europe. It's the 3rd smallest capital. This constant comparing of a medium sized city to European powerhouses is getting fairly tedious at this stage.

Are you obsessed with population or area? And why exactly?

Dublin is a capital city, has a decent financial service sector, several large colleges and universities, concentrated population, airport, and so things like living standards, rent costs, salary etc, can easily be compared. I commute to Dublin, but if I lost my job I'd consider Dublin along with other cities, tedious as that may sound to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 boardyet?

Renting is an absolute disgrace at the moment. Not just in Dublin, in border towns like Kildare too. It's a nightmare trying to find somewhere and the agents are so smug about it - Seems like we never learn from our mistakes.
    I love this country, but there really is nothing here for young people anymore. It's really hard to get even something basic or to get on your feet.
    We eventually found something in Kildare but are paying alot more for it then what it's worth.
    Very frustrating to see a bubble again and no-one in government wants to address the issue.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 392 ✭✭j80ezgvc3p92xu

No. I'm not sick of this. €400 per month is pittance to spend on accommodation in a European capital, you're deluding yourself if you think otherwise.

Cut your cloth or do what the Americans do and get a student loan to pay for your college years.

Ok I will address this first. I have lived in Vienna for a year as part of my student exchange. I paid 340 per month for an en suite room in the city center, and this included all the bills. I know people who laughed at me because they paid circa 290 for same sort of accommodation. For anyone with a knowledge of Vienna, I could spit out of my window and hit the Rathous. I went down to Stefansdohm to stretch my legs. All this for 340 pm.

I am sort of under pressure to find accommodation soon as I am getting subtle signals from my parents to move out. I can understand that. When I am king of my own castle, I might not want a 22 year old hanging out around the house either.

So I am simply going to have to settle for some exuberantly priced hovel as that is simply all that is out there at the moment. I already have a student loan out but considering getting a top up. Capitalism baby (:

tenifan wrote: »
    Are you obsessed with population or area? And why exactly?

Dublin is a capital city, has a decent financial service sector, several large colleges and universities, concentrated population, airport, and so things like living standards, rent costs, salary etc, can easily be compared. I commute to Dublin, but if I lost my job I'd consider Dublin along with other cities, tedious as that may sound to you.

Anyone who has lived abroad for any period of time will know that there is something very very badly wrong with our out of kilter accommodation costs. Even living in a hovel will cost you eye-watering money. That's not the way it works in cities in anyway comparable to Dublin but the bulls constantly say "London" or "Paris" or "Munich" as if living costs European powerhouse cities should have any relation to a prosperous but relatively middling city on the outskirts of Europe.

Between our high cost base and moves to kill our tax system, we are going to lose our MNC golden goose and where will we be then...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭Tarzana

Dublin 15 has good bus runs into the city and a train line. There used to be a bus to UCD also don't know if this is still running.

Yeah, I live in east Dublin 15 (almost Dublin 7, so not far out of the city). There value to be found here, OP, plus good transport links, as already mentioned.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,223 ✭✭✭Michael D Not Higgins

Anyone who has lived abroad for any period of time will know that there is something very very badly wrong with our out of kilter accommodation costs. Even living in a hovel will cost you eye-watering money. That's not the way it works in cities in anyway comparable to Dublin but the bulls constantly say "London" or "Paris" or "Munich" as if living costs European powerhouse cities should have any relation to a prosperous but relatively middling city on the outskirts of Europe.

Between our high cost base and moves to kill our tax system, we are going to lose our MNC golden goose and where will we be then...

Here's a good comparison. European capital, roughly the same size, roughly the same cost of living.
    http://www.numbeo.com/cost-of-living/compare_cities.jsp?country1=Ireland&city1=Dublin&country2=Finland&city2=Helsinki

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

People won't countenance living anywhere but the same small handful of central areas in Dublin and wonder why this allows landlords to get big prices for mediocre properties.

• Advertisement

anncoates wrote: »
    People won't countenance living anywhere but the same small handful of central areas in Dublin and wonder why this allows landlords to get big prices for mediocre properties.

+1

My BF and I are paying €1050 per month between us for a really lovely place in Ashtown. We'd each spend €95 a month travelling to work. We'd love to be walking distance from work at some stage and could afford to pay the €1050 + €95 + 95 to do that. But the fact is that €1240 is not guaranteed to get us anything nice in the hugely oversubscribed areas we'd need to look in. We would much rather live in a nice place farther out than a hovel that's walking distance away.

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭ffactj

My friend was giving out the other day that he cant find an apartment. His last one that he looked at he didnt like it. It was tatty inside, and smelled. So then he said there was another one down the road for €100 and he wasnt even going to look at it because it should be €900. I looked at the pictures of both and they do look exactly the same shape and size, in the same complex, but one is clearly worth more than the other, just from the pictures.
    Both have been rented now anyway, so obviously both prices were right.

I think one of the mistakes people are making is assuming that of the same type property are worth the same, and then they dont even bother even looking in the door of the other one.

For example a 1 bed bed property in a certain area is going for €900PM and then they 200 meters down the road that is €1000PM and immediately think the landlord is ripping them off so dont even look at it.

The one for 900 may have worse furniture.
    It may have older appliances.
    It could have an entrance on a dark side lane where the other one has a nicely lit up at night entrance, which is safer.
    Maybe one just smells nicer than the other.
    Maybe the landlord has decided that he gives a service a cut above all of the rest of them so is charging a few quid extra for that.

Just because a property is of the same type in the same area doesnt mean it should be the same rent as the next one.

If you see one at a certain price, make sure to not eliminate ones that are more expensive from your search either.

Not all 2010 Toyota Corollas are worth the same today.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭UCDVet

It's supply and demand, simple as that.

You're sick of it. *Everyone* is sick of it. The thing is, everyone wants a decent place to live. Everyone wants a short commute. Nearly everyone has a reason to 'need' to live where they want to (in this case, Dublin). So, prices keep going up.

If you want to lower prices, you need to reduce supply or increase demand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭UCDVet

I'm not sure if it's the people or infrastructure that is to blame. Maybe it's just me, but there never seems to be any good way to get from where I am, to where I need to go.

I look at the transit system in Paris (for example) and I'm blown away at the number of options they have. They can get all over the place, quickly. Here, it feels like we have a few lines that all go into city centre.

UCDVet wrote: »

Surely you mean "increase supply or reduce demand"?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

I'm not sure that's fully true as if you go look on daft that cheapest properties in North, South, and West County Dublin aren't exactly cheap, even if they are in out of the way locations.

There probably is a knock on effect of rent increases in desirable locations meaning increases across the board.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 172 ✭✭Yogosan

UCDVet wrote: »
    It's supply and demand, simple as that.

You're sick of it. *Everyone* is sick of it. The thing is, everyone wants a decent place to live. Everyone wants a short commute. Nearly everyone has a reason to 'need' to live where they want to (in this case, Dublin). So, prices keep going up.

I'm guessing you got the bold part mixed up, or else you don't undestand supply and demand, simple as that.

• Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭Long Gone

justback83 wrote: »
    Having the same experience...We're a couple in our 30's looking for somewhere around Ranelagh/Rathmines. The places we've seen have been unbelievably horrible. I can't believe they are getting away with it!! It needs to be regulated!!

It's private rented accommodation you were looking at presumably ? It is regulated - By supply and demand. That's the way capitalism works.

• Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭ubs69

How about a culchie cull to sort it out

• Registered Users Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭ezra_pound

For the 2011 census, it was about double the vacancy rate during the nineties and we didn't have a panic like this.

I highlighted the important bit for you. You work and have income coming in to be able to afford both paying accommodation costs and commuting. He doesn't so paying for both accom & commuting costs are likely to cause his problems.

That's why man invented the bicycle.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,409 ✭✭✭Nomis21

Increase supply, lower demand you mean...?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,001 ✭✭✭Mr. Loverman

I find this all a bit puzzling.

Choosing to live in one of the most desirable parts of the country (Ranelagh) is going to be expensive. If you want to pay low prices, of course you'll only see dumps.

You need to live somewhere where you budget is more suitable. Start with Citywest and work your way inwards. (Citywest is absolutely fine btw and it's on the Luas now).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

CatFromHue wrote: »
    I'm not sure that's fully true as if you go look on daft that cheapest properties in North, South, and West County Dublin aren't exactly cheap, even if they are in out of the way locations..

Nobody said less fashionable locations are cheap, but they're cheaper.

People that are determined to live in a few specific postcodes seems to be be equating a supply and demand situation with some ind of dastardly plot to deny them the property they wish to rent or buy.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,397 ✭✭✭Shedite27

...I don't expect much: a bed and a desk in the room, access to bathroom and kitchen in the house ..... I was viewing some basement in Ranelagh before.....
    Ranelagh is one of the prime areas in Dublin. You say you "don't expect much" yet you are expecting to live in a prime area?

IMO Ranelagh is a young professionals area, not a student area.

Shedite27 wrote: »
    IMO Ranelagh is a young professionals area, not a student area.

Nah, lots of students live there. I was in college at the height of the boom and lots of my friends lived there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,780 ✭✭✭Frank Lee Midere

Nobody said less fashionable locations are cheap, but they're cheaper.

People that are determined to live in a few specific postcodes seems to be be equating a supply and demand situation with some ind of dastardly plot to deny them the property they wish to rent or buy.

There's clearly a "dastardly" plot keeping prices high. Do people believe that we have a free market in housing? Seriously? Are you capable of remembering even two years ago?

I am dubious even about the rental market too but that is harder to massage.

Tarzana wrote: »
    Nah, lots of students live there. I was in college at the height of the boom and lots of my friends lived there.

That's 10 years ago now. Things change.

That's 10 years ago now. Things change.

Rents were at their peak then (though we are approaching peak now) and demand huge. So it is comparable. And this was up to 2008 so not ten years ago.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

Tarzana wrote: »
    Rents were at their peak then (though we are approaching peak now) and demand huge. So it is comparable. And this was up to 2008 so not ten years ago.

It's not comparable since thousands of studios and bedsits have been taken out of the rental sector in the past 18 months because of new laws. Many of those were in the coveted Ranelagh, Rathmines and Rathgar areas

• Advertisement

Height of the bubble was 2006, not 2008.
    That was the "soft landing".

Advertisement