Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is anyone else sick of this?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭Tarzana

athtrasna wrote: »
    It's not comparable since thousands of studios and bedsits have been taken out of the rental sector in the past 18 months because of new laws. Many of those were in the coveted Ranelagh, Rathmines and Rathgar areas

Nobody I went to college with who lived in these areas ever lived in a bedsit.

gaius c wrote: »
    Height of the bubble was 2006, not 2008.
    That was the "soft landing".

I never 2008 was the height. Just giving a timescale. 2004-2009 was my college times. Students living in those areas all the way through, and not in bedsits.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

I am dubious even about the rental market too but that is harder to massage.

Thousands of people want to rent in the same few areas so "massaging" rents isn't necessary, however one might do that with individual private landlords. Maybe telepathy or something.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

Tarzana wrote: »
    Nobody I went to college with who lived in these areas ever lived in a bedsit.

That's not the point, the point was that the people who did are now competing for other accommodation types, demand is higher than it ever was because of the significant reduction in supply

• Registered Users Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭gaius c

anncoates wrote: »
    Thousands of people want to rent in the same few areas so "massaging" rents isn't necessary, however one might do that with individual private landlords. Maybe telepathy or something.

It's easy enough. Just lock potential FTB's out of the buying market until they get extra cash from their parents/relatives to pay "foreclosure stuffing" prices. In the meantime, the rental market will get clogged (numbers renting grown by over 50% since the bubble popped) and they have to pay higher rents as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26 louised88

With a basic secondhand road bike, ten kilometres should be doable in half an hour, which won't get you particularly sweaty. That's a pretty generous radius to work with given an initial outlay of 200-300 euro and maybe a tenner a month in running costs. Looking for a nice room for 400 a month in one of the most expensive parts of the entire country is a fool's errand; you simply won't find one. Look further out and get yourself a bike and you'll have much more by way of options.

S'true, I'm really overweight and unfit and before I moved to my current apartment I cycled the 9km each way to and from work for 4 months. it took about 45/50 mins at medium effort (on a 3rd hand clunker of a bike) and while it's a pain dragging a change of clothes in everyday, it is absolutely doable. I now walk the 4km to work and back every day, again it can kind of suck when you're tired, the weather's bad or you're working late but unless you have some sort of disability it is absolutely manageable.

Craziest rent I've seen so far:

http://www.daft.ie/lettings/25-the-locks-charlotte-quay-ringsend-ringsend-dublin/1494793/

That apartment building is nothing special at all. Location, I guess, but still though!

That's not the point, the point was that the people who did are now competing for other accommodation types, demand is higher than it ever was because of the significant reduction in supply

Right, so going by market rate, demand is a bit less than equal to the peak (2007), even with removing bedsits from the rental market. There's less supply now, but there might have been way more people then. I remember the crazy queues for apartments back then. It's getting there again now, but I don't think it's quite so bad yet. Either way, demand isn't greater now than then, especially when you take into account inflation. And in 2007, many of my college class lived in Dublin 6 with Rathmines and Ranelagh being the predominant areas. I doubt it's much different now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,663 ✭✭✭MouseTail

It is different as many of your student friends would have lived in multi occupancy Pre 63 dwellings in D6. They might not have lived in bedsits, but the unit below or beside them might have been bedsits. The entire building would have been removed from the market, and is now a family home. Where a pre 63 red brick might have housed 12 adult renters, it now houses 2 owner occupiers.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 tralalala

don't look at south Dublin and you will get something, look at the north side. I do not see the fuss with Ranelagh

• Advertisement

MouseTail wrote: »
    It is different as many of your student friends would have lived in multi occupancy Pre 63 dwellings in D6. They might not have lived in bedsits, but the unit below or beside them might have been bedsits. The entire building would have been removed from the market, and is now a family home. Where a pre 63 red brick might have housed 12 adult renters, it now houses 2 owner occupiers.

Aye, just making the point that it's fallacious to say that D6 is just a young professional area.

The demand isn't greater now than then. Probably reaching a par, but not worse... yet. So that means there is probably the same amount of accommodation available, or else less accommodation but fewer people. Dublin is the jobs powerhouse of Ireland at the moment but it's still nothing like the jobs powerhouse it was in 2007. So the fact that bedsits are now gone doesn't really matter.

Like the OP I am absolutely sick of trying to find somewhere to live in Dublin. And it's not just the exorbitant prices that landlords are charging but the sheer lack of supply compared to the huge demand.

I'm starting a job in Dublin soon. I currently live in Cork, which means that viewing rooms is not only extremely time-consuming but also horribly expensive. Any room I apply to (at least the ones that bother replying to me) has about 20 other people looking for it. And it's not like I'm restricting myself price wise or location wise- I've put my name in for rooms ranging from €300 to €800 (the latter a desperation move) and I've applied for rooms in D3, D4, D5, D6, D6w, D7, D8, D9, D12, D13, D14 D16, D18 and anywhere on the DART line between Shankill and Malahide. My only criteria are a single or double room (not shared), with a reasonable (<1 hour) commute to city centre, not owner occupied (I don't want to live somewhere where one housemate dominates) and no kids. I'd live with couples, pets, smokers, the entire brass section of a fúcking orchestra if I had to! I go view places, I'm polite, ask reasonable questions about the house and area, ask the housemates where they're from, what they do etc., make it clear that I'm genuinely interested and have a deposit ready to go whenever needed.....and it's always the same result: "LOLNO we picked somebody else. Bye!" :mad:

So yeah, I am sick of this. I don't have the benefit of nepotism or connections to help me get anywhere and I really don't know what else to do. :(

/rant

Why not D15? Better connected to city centre than many suburbs you've listed

Why not D15? Better connected to city centre than many suburbs you've listed

Thought D15 looked a bit far out. Happy to be corrected though, if there are any areas there you'd recommend?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭Roquentin

http://www.daft.ie/lettings/25-the-locks-charlotte-quay-ringsend-ringsend-dublin/1494793/

That apartment building is nothing special at all. Location, I guess, but still though!

its maddness in dublin alright

Thought D15 looked a bit far out. Happy to be corrected though, if there are any areas there you'd recommend?

There are three train stations in D15, so anywhere around them would be handy as would anywhere around Blanchardstown village as it's served by the 38 and 39 bus routes

There are three train stations in D15, so anywhere around them would be handy as would anywhere around Blanchardstown village as it's served by the 38 and 39 bus routes

Tbh I'd heard Blanchardstown was quite rough, so I was a bit reluctant to look there. Maybe I'm wrong but considering I'm not from Dublin I have to rely on second or third hand accounts of good/bad areas, and Blanch was one of those that didn't have a great reputation.

Just to reiterate, I'm not only looking at "posh" areas, I don't care what places look like so long as they're not very rough (i.e. unsafe) areas.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

Jesus imagine what you'll be like paying proper rent and bills. Sorry but your op really bugged the **** out if me.
    Myself and girlfriend live in a house and are paying 1200 a month. We also have a daughter who is in school at the moment. The gf is a trainee nurse and in her 3rd year at college. She's working night shifts to get money up for rent.
    I'm a 3rd year mechanic and ain't exactly on great money.
    So together we are barely scraping to pay rent, electricity bills telly etc, child's school stuff .
    So we took the only house about our area close to to my daughters school and transportation for gf college. I'm fortunate I work 15 minute drive away. But petrol tax and insurance isn't free either. But we took this house and made it a home.
    Take what you can get, make it a home and stop fcukin moaning thinking you have it bad.

Tbh I'd heard Blanchardstown was quite rough, so I was a bit reluctant to look there. Maybe I'm wrong but considering I'm not from Dublin I have to rely on second or third hand accounts of good/bad areas, and Blanch was one of those that didn't have a great reputation.

Just to reiterate, I'm not only looking at "posh" areas, I don't care what places look like so long as they're not very rough (i.e. unsafe) areas.

You should do research and not listen to people who have no idea what they are talking about. There are rough areas in every postcode...including those you've posted, and tbh you've posted some areas of Dublin that are way rougher than Blanchardstown!!

I'm not from Dublin either and have lived in Waterville in Blanchardstown for ten years now. Beside the 38 bus route, 20 minute walk to the train station. I love it, ten minutes walk to the shopping centre with shops, restaurants, cinema, theatre. Also beside the Aquatic Centre. Tbh it's got a whole lot more going for it than some of the areas you chose without considering Dublin 15

The only place to avoid really is Corduff but even there isn't as bad as it's made out to be.

You should do research and not listen to people who have no idea what they are talking about. There are rough areas in every postcode...including those you've posted, and tbh you've posted some areas of Dublin that are way rougher than Blanchardstown!!

I'm not from Dublin either and have lived in Waterville in Blanchardstown for ten years now. Beside the 38 bus route, 20 minute walk to the train station. I love it, ten minutes walk to the shopping centre with shops, restaurants, cinema, theatre. Also beside the Aquatic Centre. Tbh it's got a whole lot more going for it than some of the areas you chose without considering Dublin 15

The only place to avoid really is Corduff but even there isn't as bad as it's made out to be.

Fair enough but when one person says an area is grand and someone else says it's dodgy as fúck (I've heard people say both about Inchicore, for example) I've no real way of knowing who's telling the truth and who's talking out of their arse, so I figure it's better to err on the side of caution.

And yeah, I know all places have their rough spots but none of the houses I've viewed thus far looked too dodgy even if they were in a "less nice" area.

• Advertisement

Fair enough but when one person says an area is grand and someone else says it's dodgy as fúck (I've heard people say both about Inchicore, for example) I've no real way of knowing who's telling the truth and who's talking out of their arse, so I figure it's better to err on the side of caution.

You can always check out the Dublin 15 forum? There are a few threads on there about moving to the area. Mind you when I advertised a room to rent I had over 80 replies because there are so many big companies and the hospital out here that demand is also high.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭rawn

Homer.J.Fong, D15 isn't as rough as most places tbh. Avoid, Ladyswell and Corduff if possible and you'll be grand! Look for Coolmine, Carpenterstown, Castleknock, Hartstown and Blanchardstown Village. 39a gets ya into town in bout 30 mins off-peak and 45 mins - 1 hour in the mornings. Plenty of trains too. You could try Ongar and Clonee too, even Lucan or Dunboyne. Best of luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

I used to think the same it had or I tought it had a name but that was BS. Blanchardstown centre in my opinion is the best in the country, great range of shops . I think there is 5 starbucks alone, loads of resturants , cinema etc etc etc. The bus service and train service make it a great location. When you look at other locations in Dublin Blach has it all. Hartstown/huntstown/ castleknock/ blanchardstown / coolmine/ Clonsilla /Mulhuddart all good areas. But as someone said earlier there is alot of demand in the area with its location to the DIT /centre and numerous industrial estates so rooms/apt/houses go fast

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

5 starbucks, wow, it's like nirvana!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

pwurple wrote: »
    5 starbucks, wow, it's like nirvana!

checked its ONLY 4 !!!
    :pac:
    http://www.starbucks.ie/store-locator/search/location/Blanchardstown%2C%20Co.%20Dublin%2C%20Ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭Fkall

Like the OP I am absolutely sick of trying to find somewhere to live in Dublin. And it's not just the exorbitant prices that landlords are charging but the sheer lack of supply compared to the huge demand.

I'm starting a job in Dublin soon. I currently live in Cork, which means that viewing rooms is not only extremely time-consuming but also horribly expensive. Any room I apply to (at least the ones that bother replying to me) has about 20 other people looking for it. And it's not like I'm restricting myself price wise or location wise- I've put my name in for rooms ranging from €300 to €800 (the latter a desperation move) and I've applied for rooms in D3, D4, D5, D6, D6w, D7, D8, D9, D12, D13, D14 D16, D18 and anywhere on the DART line between Shankill and Malahide. My only criteria are a single or double room (not shared), with a reasonable (<1 hour) commute to city centre, not owner occupied (I don't want to live somewhere where one housemate dominates) and no kids. I'd live with couples, pets, smokers, the entire brass section of a fúcking orchestra if I had to! I go view places, I'm polite, ask reasonable questions about the house and area, ask the housemates where they're from, what they do etc., make it clear that I'm genuinely interested and have a deposit ready to go whenever needed.....and it's always the same result: "LOLNO we picked somebody else. Bye!" :mad:

So yeah, I am sick of this. I don't have the benefit of nepotism or connections to help me get anywhere and I really don't know what else to do. :(

/rant
    It is not the Landlords fault that the current housemates are choosing other people.

• Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭NZ_2014

Roquentin wrote: »

The captions on the photos!

Fkall wrote: »
    It is not the Landlords fault that the current housemates are choosing other people.

I never said it was, I was merely expressing my frustration at the whole situation.

Roquentin wrote: »
    NZ_2014 wrote: »
    The captions on the photos!

I know! :pac:

Not gone yet, which in this market tells me it's priced too high. No surprise there really.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,409 ✭✭✭Nomis21

And he doesn't even accept rent allowance :rolleyes:

Advertisement