Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Starting out as registered electrical contractor

Options
  • 02-10-2014 10:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,926 ✭✭✭

Hi folks, a long time in PAYE, but exploring minimum requirements (aside from FAS qualifications and competence :-)) to be compliant.

If one was aiming to carry out electrical works and repairs mainly targeted at commercial and industrial, what are the minimum requirements for legal compliance in terms of registration?

Many thanks,

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,008 ✭✭✭scudo2

Selotape.

• Registered Users Posts: 936 ✭✭✭bassey

Well there's RECI registration and Public Liability Insurance for a start

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,595 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Andrea B. wrote: »
    Hi folks, a long time in PAYE, but exploring minimum requirements (aside from FAS qualifications and competence :-)) to be compliant.

If one was aiming to carry out electrical works and repairs mainly targeted at commercial and industrial, what are the minimum requirements for legal compliance in terms of registration?

Many thanks,

Exactly what the minimum requirements are I'm not sure.

I was a REC (about 10 years ago) and we had following:

1) Qualified electricians.
    2) VAT registered
    3) A registered limited company
    4) Test equipment (with calibration cents)
    5) A copy of ET101
    6) Registered with ECSSA, this gave us book of certs, test sheets etc.
    7) Insurance (organized through the ECSSA at a good price).
    8) Plenty of drive, ambition and unrealistic expectations :)
    9) A good accountant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,720 ✭✭✭Sir Arthur Daley

An overdraft is another key part when the cheques don't come in on time or bounce and suppliers need payment.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,595 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

An overdraft is another key part when the cheques don't come in on time or bounce and suppliers need payment.

A helpful and cooperative bank can make or break a business.

When I was a REC I borrowed about €20,000 at a low interest rate to buy a van.
    I don't think that would be as straight foward now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,926 ✭✭✭Andrea B.

Hi folks.
    Thanks for all the replies (including the one that done nothing aside from bumping my post:-) ).
    Was really hoping for the;
    "minimum requirements for legal compliance in terms of registration".

As I am led to believe, due to recent directives, I can not legally carry out electrical works and I was looking for the minimum I need here to be compliant.

I foresee that new or re-connections will not be included in my work offering.

Thanks again.

Get going as a sole trader or as a limited company, get insurance which satisfies RECI or ECSSA and become a member with either body. Simples.

Get going as a sole trader or as a limited company, get insurance which satisfies RECI or ECSSA and become a member with either body. Simples.

Yup.

To be able to certify your work which is the normal requirement for all industrial electrical work you will need to be a Registered Electrical Contractor. This is quite easy and cheap (I am assuming that you are a qualified electrician).

RECI and ECSSA will gladly give you any help and info you need.
    But over time you need to aim for more than MINIMUM.
    Were all learning and improving over the years, it's what keeps us ahead and is good for our chosen type of business, which often changes over the years.
    Wishing you well.

VAT regestered
    Qualifications
    Insurance
    Member of an electrical organisation
    Presentable van
    Good costomer service
    ie. answer your phone and be on time.
    Voice mail with a polite professional message.
    Good cards and receipt books ( Vista print is an easy option)
    Web site at some stage.

Only joking about Selotape, get a roll of nice coloured insulation tape, way more professional.!

Having another think there and to re-answer the ops query at a very minimum just register as a business - sole trader.
    Since its industrial work he needn't become an rec strictly speaking.

• Advertisement

Having another think there and to re-answer the ops query at a very minimum just register as a business - sole trader.

But rec is recognised by future customers as a good indication of his competency, from a laymans point of view.
    Us professionals understand that's its not legaly required, but it all helps with the image.
    Who the feck knows about OFTEC for oil.
    RECI is recognised for electrical.
    Everything helps.

The legal requirements is not my field in electrican, I'll leave that up to you Arthur & others who know more.
    M.

I completely agree Scudo2, that thought just entered my head as alot of industries have their own in house electricians doing maintenance on the premises.

As per my earlier post it is "normal" to certify electrical work in an industrial installation. In my experience the customer will always insist on this.

2011 wrote: »
    As per my earlier post it is "normal" to certify electrical work in an industrial installation. In my experience the customer will always insist on this.

No one is wrong or right per say on this though, just registering as a business would meet the ops minimum needs.

No one is wrong or right per say on this though, just registering as a business would meet the ops minimum needs.

From a legal perspective, yes.
    But under the circumstances I think it is fair to assume that the OP intends on having some custom. Nobody will employ anyone to do electrical work in an industrial installation if they can't provide the necessary paperwork. For a start insurance companies would not permit it. The OP may be able to swap out a few lamps or put on a plug top or two, but that would be it.

It would be in the osp best interest of course to get registered with an electrical body.
    Like i said earlier i know of several industries who have in house electricians doing maintenance and installation work on the premises so i question this insurance permit.

It would be in the osp best interest of course to get registered with an electrical body.
    Like i said earlier i know of several industries who have in house electricians doing maintenance and installation work on the premises so i question this insurance permit.

PAYE inhouse are covered by employers insurance.
    Self employed have to have their own insurance.
    My max is for €6.5 mil
    If I'm working in a factory I inform them of the limit and their insurance takes over for anything above.
    But I do have to have insurance.

Never had to try it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭Par1

Hi folks.
    Thanks for all the replies (including the one that done nothing aside from bumping my post:-) ).

As I am led to believe, due to recent directives, I can not legally carry out electrical works and I was looking for the minimum I need here to be compliant.

I foresee that new or re-connections will not be included in my work offering.

Thanks again.

I take it you are referring to the restricted electrical works paper hence the 'recent directives' mentioned above. You should write to the CER and clarify your questions/position with them as they are in the best position to answer questions you may have. It should not be difficult for you to carry out electrical works - once you meet their criteria.

Advertisement