Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Solid fuels for winter

Options
  • 02-10-2014 10:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,478 ✭✭✭

Wasted a lot of money on small purchases of wood, kindling and coal last year. Looking to stock up from in advance this year. Can anyone recommend a local supplier?

Found some old threads but looking for up to date info.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭catastrophy

I've always found marble city fuels good to deal with.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Sky King

There's a lad over beside woodies who sells solid fuel. He's sound. Got a few bales of briquettes off him towards the end of last year

There's a guy in Paulstown who does firewood by the trailer load. I got a load off him as well,. Wood recommend.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,478 ✭✭✭wheres me jumpa

Sky King wrote: »
    Wood recommend.

I see what you did there, well played sir!

I will check both recommendations and report back with my findings.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭pegasus1

Have you room to store firewood outside and also undercover?

If you do, for next winter in '16 buy in a few pallet bags worth, stack neatly outside rain and all, just make sure they are stacked barkside up.
    make sure air is all around including underneath..use pallet.

then late summer, after a week or so of nice dry sunny weather, store it in the shed...

we got 5 pallets of hardwood last feb, stored it outside in a 6ft Scandinavian wood pile....stored it in shed before hols in july, and now its 14% moisture content :)

that providers beside woodies has good wood alright but its sopping wet...
    wet wood is very bad in stoves...creosote etc..

google firewood there are some good suppliers on first page that deliver

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭NoGutsNoGlory

O'dwyer fuels main street stoneyford stocks everything from gas to coal & blocks...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭Deathwish4

pegasus1 wrote: »
    Have you room to store firewood outside and also undercover?

If you do, for next winter in '16 buy in a few pallet bags worth, stack neatly outside rain and all, just make sure they are stacked barkside up.
    make sure air is all around including underneath..use pallet.

then late summer, after a week or so of nice dry sunny weather, store it in the shed...

we got 5 pallets of hardwood last feb, stored it outside in a 6ft Scandinavian wood pile....stored it in shed before hols in july, and now its 14% moisture content :)

that providers beside woodies has good wood alright but its sopping wet...
    wet wood is very bad in stoves...creosote etc..

google firewood there are some good suppliers on first page that deliver

How the hell can you deduce a block of wood is 14% moisture?:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭pegasus1

Deathwish4 wrote: »
    How the hell can you deduce a block of wood is 14% moisture?:confused:

Because someone in this world decided to invent a device called a moisture content reader... Its an electronic device with two probes..and you push the two probes into the wood and hey presto you get a reading...i split the wood also to get a reading from within the block also..

Google moisture content reader for wood..;)

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭Deathwish4

pegasus1 wrote: »
    Because someone in this world decided to invent a device called a moisture content reader... Its an electronic device with two probes..and you push the two probes into the wood and hey presto you get a reading...i split the wood also to get a reading from within the block also..

Google moisture content reader for wood..;)

Fair Enough :)

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭500sel

There's a new guy on the Dublin road Tanda Fuels.
    got some Gas from him the other day but he dose all fuels (timber coal etc)
    seems like a sound Lad. Worth a try

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭lotdpd

good guys in Marble City Fuels in Hebron.... can't recommend them enough over the last number of years. Good personal service and never let me down...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 759 ✭✭✭Rega

lotdpd wrote: »
    good guys in Marble City Fuels in Hebron.... can't recommend them enough over the last number of years. Good personal service and never let me down...

Agreed. They have great deals there sometimes.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,057 ✭✭✭clivej

Great lad in Paulstown for timber.
    Will deliver most anywhere, at cost, by the 1 tonn bag. AND most important he's not that expensive for both soft and hard woods. 087 9552660.

As said above you need to store timber, under cover, over the summer to reduce the moisture content and get the best out of timber.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 ghost_rider

Check out Noel Dunphy, "Dunphy Timber" I think he sells over at Cillin Hill on Saturdays.

We used buy from his grandfather for years, now Noel has taken over the business.

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭fartman

Check out Noel Dunphy, "Dunphy Timber" I think he sells over at Cillin Hill on Saturdays.

We used buy from his grandfather for years, now Noel has taken over the business.
    i also bought blocks from him great guy i would highly recommend him .

Advertisement