Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to become a Ramp Agent

Options
  • 02-10-2014 10:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭

Can Anyone tell me how you can train to become a Ramp agent or an Aircraft Dispatcher ?
    If you have any Advice please share.
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,460 ✭✭✭donkey balls

Get a job with one of the Airline handling agents Servisair/Swissport or Sky handling.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 6,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭Irish Steve

If you're looking at a ramp or despatch job because you're interested in aviation, be VERY careful how you let that interest become known, some of the union reps will make your life hell if they discover that you actually have an interest in the job, and "management" are unlikely to do anything about complaints in that area, the unions are just too powerful to be taken on in any meaningful way.

Shore, if it was easy, everybody would be doin it.😁

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,817 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

I'm a bit confused Steve. So, you're NOT allowed to be interested in aviation to work as a ramp agent/dispatcher?

I know some unions have funny ideas about people being mobile in the industry, but this sounds a bit much.

Not saying that, I'm just mentioning that there are a number of people in Ramp work that are union activists, and they have been known to make life extremely unpleasant for people who are interested in aviation, even more so if they have any professional qualifications like a pilot licence, which makes them more useful (and aware) in some areas.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,817 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

.......and they have been known to make life extremely unpleasant for people who are interested in aviation, even more so if they have any professional qualifications like a pilot licence, which makes them more useful ......
    Get ya now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 597 ✭✭✭Dublinflyer

Not saying that, I'm just mentioning that there are a number of people in Ramp work that are union activists, and they have been known to make life extremely unpleasant for people who are interested in aviation, even more so if they have any professional qualifications like a pilot licence, which makes them more useful (and aware) in some areas.

I don't think that it is anywhere near as bad as it used to be but I am sure it still goes on. A lot of the airlines and handlers have stamped on that kind of carry on at one stage or another. Ryanair made an example of a few of the managers after that video came out.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,179 ✭✭✭✭fr336

I don't think that it is anywhere near as bad as it used to be but I am sure it still goes on. A lot of the airlines and handlers have stamped on that kind of carry on at one stage or another. Ryanair made an example of a few of the managers after that video came out.

What video? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 597 ✭✭✭Dublinflyer

just go onto youtube and search Ryanair manager and you will find it. a really nasty guy!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,179 ✭✭✭✭fr336

just go onto youtube and search Ryanair manager and you will find it. a really nasty guy!

Ah yeah sorry seen that yonks ago - what a gob****e. Hard to take him seriously in fact.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,265 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

To disregard the union stuff for a sec..

If you want a start Id suggest your best bet at DUB would be one of the following... I can't comment about pay and conditions but in terms of getting your foot in the door that's where you want to be getting your CV and checking their career pages regularly.

Aer Lingus
    Ryanair
    Swissport
    Sky Handling
    Others to be considered are FedEx, DHL and Universal. The first two while not being self handling do have their own various Ramp Agent / Load Supervisor / Flight Dispatcher positions however they are extremly sought after and generally go internal. Universal rarely hire and look for experience but no harm being aware of what's out there and where a potential step up might be. Good luck either way.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 6,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭sharkman

This site may be helpful 1: http://aviationacademyireland.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭Par1

sharkman wrote: »
    This site may be helpful aviationacademyireland

Would the Introduction to aviation course be a good addition to a CV of a person interested in an aviation job?...has anybody here done the course and successfully then got a job in the airport?...surely its worth doing, right?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,460 ✭✭✭donkey balls

I am surprised that no one else mentioned including myself:o the hours worked within the industry ,if this is the route you want to go down you may forget about having weekends off, Xmas day is normally the only day that the airport/Airlines don't have people working.
    From my past life working in the industry I would be the last man to leave the office on Xmas Eve and the first man back in on Stephens day,It can be tough going working away while your friends are out enjoying them selves even worse when the f**kers phone you from the pub asking if you are going out for a drink:mad:
    I no longer work directly in the industry but I could go back to my old job if I wanted due to my skill set,I still have many friends working for different airlines some flying others in flight ops etc, Every now and then I miss the buzz I had while working there and the banter I had with my colleagues.

I am surprised that no one else mentioned including myself:o the hours worked within the industry ,if this is the route you want to go down you may forget about having weekends off, Xmas day is normally the only day that the airport/Airlines don't have people working.

I remember it well, the first year I was working on the ramp, I ended up working 156 hours in 2 weeks, 9 days of 16 hours, one day of 12, as almost all of the "permanent" staff were taking leave over the Christmas/New year period, so the "temps" had to fill the gaps.

The other things to be aware of with ramp work is that unless you live very close to the airport, you have to have your own transport, due to the strange hours that you can be rostered, (the earliest start was 0200, and the latest finish could on occasions be close to the same time if charter flights were running late) and from a practical aspect, it can be darn cold on the deck of a high loader at 0530 in the middle of January/February, and there's NO protection from the winds.

That said, if the opportunity presented itself, I'd go back to ramp work tomorrow, just not for the company I used to be with, unless there's been a fundamental change of culture within the structure, and if I did go back there's no way I would be prepared to join a trade union again.

Advertisement