Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lady gaga live show suitability for nine year old?

Options
  • 02-10-2014 10:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,053 ✭✭✭

Someone has suggested bringing my daughter to Lady Gaga when she performs here soon.

I was wondering about the suitability of it. Obviously she's a little out here. The child doesn't really know the words, but loves theatrics.

Any ideas?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,807 ✭✭✭Custardpi

By "out there" do you mean the costumes, sexually suggestive dancing etc? To be honest that sort of thing is pretty much par for the course with virtually all of the female pop stars around at the moment, with the possible exception of Taylor Swift. Depends on how mature your kid is really. Based on reports I've got from people who've been to Gaga's concerts the worst aspect of them (apart from the shameless ripping off of every detail of Madonna's act) is the constant shouting out between songs of the most vapid "self-help/motivational" slogans imaginable, which apparently becomes pretty jarring after the first 10 minutes or so. If you're happy to expose both yourself & your child's developing brain to that kind of bilge go ahead, otherwise I'd give it a miss.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,467 ✭✭✭finbarrk

I saw a mother with a small kid at Ed Sheeran last weekend. The kid didn't look over happy. She looked about 8.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,334 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

finbarrk wrote: »
    I saw a mother with a small kid at Ed Sheeran last weekend. The kid didn't look over happy. She looked about 8.

Wouldn't be happy myself listening to that cr@p

• Registered Users Posts: 360 ✭✭Humour Me

I went to see Gaga last time she played the Aviva. Lots of swearing and very suggestive dancing and stage props. Depending how old your daughter is, most of it would go over her head.

My friends and I were surprised at the number of kids who were at it. Some were quite young and seemed to have brought along with teenagers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

I would not think Lady Gaga is suitable for under 16s

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭Dark Artist

I saw her live and I can say, while I enjoyed the show, kids under 12 probably should stay away. The dancers full on make out with each other etc. I'd imagine it's pretty uncomfortable if you're with children.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,053 ✭✭✭OU812

She went & had a ball. Wasn't too raunchy & thoroughly enjoyed everything form the costume changes to the choreography.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

It wasn't as overtly sexual as the first one I was at, glad she enjoyed it

Glad she enjoyed it OU812. :)
    Custardpi wrote: »
    Based on reports I've got from people who've been to Gaga's concerts the worst aspect of them (apart from the shameless ripping off of every detail of Madonna's act) is the constant shouting out between songs of the most vapid "self-help/motivational" slogans imaginable, which apparently becomes pretty jarring after the first 10 minutes or so. If you're happy to expose both yourself & your child's developing brain to that kind of bilge go ahead, otherwise I'd give it a miss.

I agree that the constant self affirmation sloganeering can get rather irritating but I think the Madonna comparison is a bit cliched and rather inaccurate.

Madonna has some impressive songs in her back catalogue but it's fair to say that she's never been the most gifted vocalist. In her case, the live theatrics are necessary to mask a limited voice. Gaga, however, is genuinely an excellent singer (particularly in her lower range) and talented pianist, whether you're a fan of her music or not. I didn't see Gaga this time but saw her at the Aviva in 2012 and her vocal performances, particularly in the slower/acoustic numbers, were fantastic. I don't think Madonna could ever sound as good singing a capella or playing piano as Gaga does.

Advertisement