Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Old car debt

Options
  • 02-10-2014 10:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭

Hi Everyone

2007 I got car on hire to purchase from Halifax.
    in 2009-2010 I start having a problem to making monthly payments, I rang them and they said they can take car back and I owe nothing, I agree, they said someone will ring me with collection date whoever few months later no one show up. And in a few more months Halifax announce leaving Ireland.

Since then I had no any letters or phone calls whatsoever.
    Recently 2014 I have changed motor address and some private company debt collectors show up at the door step, they said that I owe them 12k money on car finance.
    Obviously car is much less now.

What is my options, would they sue me now?
    Thank you

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,070 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Solicitor. Now.

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭markmoto

Larbre34 wrote: »
    Solicitor. Now.

no money for one either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,988 ✭✭✭jacksie66

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭jaymcg91

Did you get anything in writing confirming that they were going to take the car back and the finance would be cancelled?

jaymcg91 wrote: »
    Did you get anything in writing confirming that they were going to take the car back and the finance would be cancelled?

No,
    They sent me letter that I have 28 days to contact them with arrangements to pay 12k cash or else they gave few options what is going to happens, all options is to make me suffer one way or another.

As far as I understand they can take car as part of payment whoever 12k is what they looking for.

I did not signed up anything with them, letter posted by ordinary post.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭SBarrett

jacksie66 wrote: »
    Tell the private debt collection company to get **** ed. You signed no contract with them. Try and get in contact with Halifax UK.

I'll think you'll find in all that small print in the HP agreement, they can pass your debt onto an agency who can recoup the debt.

If you can't afford a solicitor, get on to citizen information and arrange to make an appointment. Solicitors volunteer free of charge with them. They can be quite busy, so it can be difficult to get an appointment, so you may have to use that car of yours to drive out to one further away from you.

Steven

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

jacksie66 wrote: »
    Tell the private debt collection company to get **** ed. You signed no contract with them. Try and get in contact with Halifax UK.

Halifax UK have nothing to do with it. Please don't give posters inaccurate advice on this forum

I do not understand, why they didn't contact me for the last 4 years, or collect car as agree.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 Morning All

Get a letter from the debt collection company that states the debt has now been passed to them. That letter should also state who “sold on” the debt. No letter, no proof you owe a cent to them!

Advertisement