Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

JobBridge

• 02-10-2014 10:46pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,124 ✭✭✭✭

Is it possible to live and pay rent of the money (€238) per week you get off Jobbridge?
    Ive seen an internship that suits me but I'm not sure I can make it work financially.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,687 ✭✭✭✭Penny Tration

Depends where you live.

House share or tiny bedsit outside of Dublin or cork city, probably. Wouldn't be enjoyable, though. It'd be survival and little else.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭Shakespeare's Sister

ryanf1 wrote: »
    Is it possible to live and pay rent of the money (€238) per week you get off Jobbridge?
    Ive seen an internship that suits me but I'm not sure I can make it work financially.
    I don't mean to be smart, but surely you'd know the answer to that more than anyone else here would? You know the actual figures in terms of your outgoings.

Would it change your circumstances much at the moment in terms of expenditure? E.g. travel costs?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭Buona Fortuna

Are you after help with the maths?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,124 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

Would it change your circumstances much at the moment in terms of expenditure? E.g. travel costs?

Well it would mean I would have to pay rent which in Dublin could be €500 a month. I wouldn't have much transport expense though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,022 ✭✭✭jamesbere

Add up all your outgoings, if there over 238, it won't work.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭Shakespeare's Sister

Well it would mean I would have to pay rent which in Dublin could be €500 a month. I wouldn't have much transport expense though
    €500 rent per month in Dublin would be cheap. You'd have only just over €100 left per week. Doable I... guess... but forget about anything other than the most basic foodstuffs and just about scraping bills.
    I don't think it'd be worth it - just IMO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,471 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Get a job on the side.

kneemos wrote: »
    Get a job on the side.

Not really possible for me at the minute

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,250 ✭✭✭✭Iwasfrozen

Do it if it's what you want to do. So what if you're on rice and water for months. I've been there and if you're in the job you want it makes it all worthwhile. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

€500 rent per month in Dublin would be cheap.

You can get houseshares for less.

They won't be great houses or they'll be a good bit out from the city but it's doable at 350/400 euro

• Advertisement

AnonoBoy wrote: »
    You can get houseshares for less.

They won't be great houses or they'll be a good bit out from the city but it's doable at 350/400 euro

I don't mind being a bit out once its an easy commute and your not constantly changing buses and that. Would probably do that rather than live in a sh*t house

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

I don't mind being a bit out once its an easy commute and your not constantly changing buses and that. Would probably do that rather than live in a sh*t house

Take a look at Daft.ie - decent looking houses going for 350 region.

AnonoBoy wrote: »
    Take a look at Daft.ie - decent looking houses going for 350 region.

Its also supposed to be a nightmare to find a place-as in supply Vs demand

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,113 ✭✭✭shruikan2553

Depends on what you spend. I just have rent, electricity, broadband, phone, food, netflix and could live off of that no problem but if you have a car or children it wouldnt be as easy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

Not a fcuking chance but thanks for being exploited

- Department of social protection and participating profitable enterprises.

Depends on what you spend. I just have rent, electricity, broadband, phone, food, netflix and could live off of that no problem but if you have a car or children it wouldnt be as easy.
    Don't have a car, mostly just the basics you mention. Outside Dublin it would be no problem but I think its going to be a stretch.
    anncoates wrote: »
    Not a fcuking chance but thanks for being exploited

- Department of social protection and participating profitable enterprises.
    This particular place is a start up company. He told me he's not in a position to take on an employee just yet but expects to be within the next few months. My position is I'm a recent college graduate needing experience and the advice iv seen given is this is how to get it.

I think I can make it work, in the short term. I put together a rough breakdown of the big expenses:
    Rent €500
    Bills €50
    Food €50 a week so 200-250 a month
    Phone €35
    Medicines €7.50
    Social life will not be expensive as I don't drink a lot so say €20 a week roughly.
    Gym variable but say another €40/month

Theres probably things I left out but put that together and you have €982.50.Thats pretty tight but I do have some savings to invest if this helps me into the future.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

Travel can be a big expense, obviously depending on where you're traveling to and from

KERSPLAT! wrote: »
    Travel can be a big expense, obviously depending on where you're traveling to and from

I have an FTP because I've got a medical condition which means I cant drive so that reduces transport massively

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭my teapot is orange

I think if it's financially possible at all and it is relevant experience for you in your chosen career do it.

You need to be honest with yourself from the start about the fact that it will be hard but I think you are.

You also don't need to stay for the duration of the thing, keep applying for real jobs from day one and accelerate this once you have two or three months relevant experience.

Before anyone thinks I believe this scheme is fair, I don't, but it might be your best bet at the moment.

• Advertisement

I think if it's financially possible at all and it is relevant experience for you in your chosen career do it.

You need to be honest with yourself from the start about the fact that it will be hard but I think you are.

You also don't need to stay for the duration of the thing, keep applying for real jobs from day one and accelerate this once you have two or three months relevant experience.

Before anyone thinks I believe this scheme is fair, I don't, but it might be your best bet at the moment.

Ive said this before but the messages I have gotten form prospective employers is that I don't have enough experience, well I do but its not relevant.
    I do fully understand it will be hard but then I need to decide how much pain I'm willing to take. I don't want to be let go in 6 months time and have spend a few grand of savings on surviving, which is making me feel its just not going to work in Dublin.
    I was also against Jobbridge but only quite recently realised its benefits for me.

Ive said this before but the messages I have gotten form prospective employers is that I don't have enough experience, well I do but its not relevant.
    I do fully understand it will be hard but then I need to decide how much pain I'm willing to take. I don't want to be let go in 6 months time and have spend a few grand of savings on surviving, which is making me feel its just not going to work in Dublin.
    I was also against Jobbridge but only quite recently realised its benefits for me.

In my opinion you wouldn't spend a few grand in savings if you're getting that amount per week.

You have enough to pay your basic bills, just nothing not much extra. You should only have to dip into your savings for one-offs and emergencies so I would be amazed if you got through a few grand.

You will spend some of your savings because nobody gets through months without the odd little extra expense here and there, but you will mainly live of the money you get from the scheme.

I've said it already, but from the minute you're in Dublin get applying for better jobs there. Employers often prefer a local address and you would be surprised how little experience can count as relevant experience if you can sell it well. Look at it as six months of relentless job hunting in Dublin, not going to Dublin for six months and then figuring out what happens at the end of six months when the time comes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,349 ✭✭✭✭starlit

Flat sharing be the only way that it be financially viable in Dublin even €500 is still pricey for just a room. You could go outside the city and get a place of your own or small bedsit/apartment for that much or a little bit over. The problem with the flatsharing you will find it hard to get someone to take you in for the few months. You be best to get a place of your own or go to student accommodation if possible.

doovdela wrote: »
    Flat sharing be the only way that it be financially viable in Dublin even €500 is still pricey for just a room. You could go outside the city and get a place of your own or small bedsit/apartment for that much or a little bit over. The problem with the flatsharing you will find it hard to get someone to take you in for the few months. You be best to get a place of your own or go to student accommodation if possible.

The Job Ad says its initially JobBridge and then progressing on to a proper contract position, but even still i'd only be on €18-20k for the first year or so

Most grads be on 18-20k to mid 25k roughly to begin with some are lucky that is more.

To me its false advertising if saying progress to proper contact you cannot always guarantee that to be the case. They can say that at the start to reel you in and see how you fair. They could just easily give someone else a jobbridge position once you finished.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

It will be hopefully a case of short term pain for long term gain OP. It won't be fun but it gives you the chance of your chosen job it might just be worth it.

Don't go in assuming it'll be a magic bullet and keep applying for jobs even if you get the internship.

doovdela wrote: »
    To me its false advertising if saying progress to proper contact you cannot always guarantee that to be the case. They can say that at the start to reel you in and see how you fair. They could just easily give someone else a jobbridge position once you finished.

That thought did come to my mind. I'm willing to make the investment if I see a return on it but I could well be replaced with another intern as you say.

They may well replace you after the internship and you have to calculate on the assumption that you only get the duration, but I think it's worth it anyway for the opportunity to have months in Dublin to look for a new job and get experience. Lots of people move to a capital city in search of work without anything lined up and rely on their own savings until they find some. Look at it as a safe opportunity to spend time job hunting in the capital with an income. If you don't find a job at the end of the time, you won't have lost much.

That thought did come to my mind. I'm willing to make the investment if I see a return on it but I could well be replaced with another intern as you say.

Same can apply to temp jobs people can get extended contract or be replaced depending on the situation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 727 ✭✭✭prettygurrly

Technically they'd have to create a new position to get a new job bridge intern before 18 months have passed. The new position can't fulfill the duties that your internship filled either.

I'm surprised you have the gym in your expenditure. If you're on a shoe string and need to exercise then bite the bullet and start running.

Also think you're spending an extortionate amount on your phone. Much better deals out there than €35 per month. I'm paying €20 per month and get 1GB data, 200 mins and unlimited texts. Also free talk and text to Meteor customers of which all my family are customers. There's also an unlimited data pay as you go offer with Meteor which is actually 7.5GB per month but it would do for texting people through whatsapp and using your online texts - find the cabbage app...or using Viber, Facebook etc. to stay in touch with friends and family. Think you should definitely shop around.

Advertisement