Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Parking at SuperValu Charlesland

Options
  • 02-10-2014 11:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭

Just want to get something off my chest- sorry if it's been covered before.

Just wondering if I'm the only one who gets infuriated by the parking at SuperValu in Charlesland? I suspect it's no different to what happens across the country but as I go there nearly daily I notice it more.

Here's what I mean:

Instead of driving the extra 25 yards to the very ample car parks some lazy people will park illegally beside the entrance ensuring even more congestion than usual when a few cars arrive at the same time.

But what irks me most:

On a daily basis I see people parking in the 2 disabled spaces outside the main entrance. As mentioned, this despite there always being ample parking in the carpark mere footsteps away.

As someone who has a close relative in a wheelchair this makes my blood boil and really makes me upset given how tiring/awkward it can be for someone in wheelchair to get out of/into their car. Recently I've politely (attempted to be polite at least) approached these people if I happen to see them and reminded them these spots are reserved for disabled people.
    Some use the old 'sure I'm just nipping in for a minute' or 'i'll move if I see someone in a wheelchair coming' ! Surely I don't need to explain how stupid these arguments are?!

The point is the vast majority of people would never dream of parking in these wheelchair spots. However, if you have done or do please from now on leave these places for the people they're meant for and who depend on them to make their lives just a little less arduous.

Use the carp-park on the level above the shop entrance. It's almost as close, easier to park and you won't have to worry about me coming to whinge at you!

Rant over.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 46 burnaby

The

Just wondering if I'm the only one who gets infuriated by the parking at SuperValu in Charlesland? I suspect it's no different to what happens across the country but as I go there nearly daily I notice it more.

Here's what I mean:

Instead of driving the extra 25 yards to the very ample car parks some lazy people will park illegally beside the entrance ensuring even more congestion than usual when a few cars arrive at the same time.

But what irks me most:

On a daily basis I see people parking in the 2 disabled spaces outside the main entrance. As mentioned, this despite there always being ample parking in the carpark mere footsteps away.

As someone who has a close relative in a wheelchair this makes my blood boil and really makes me upset given how tiring/awkward it can be for someone in wheelchair to get out of/into their car. Recently I've politely (attempted to be polite at least) approached these people if I happen to see them and reminded them these spots are reserved for disabled people.
    Some use the old 'sure I'm just nipping in for a minute' or 'i'll move if I see someone in a wheelchair coming' ! Surely I don't need to explain how stupid these arguments are?!

The point is the vast majority of people would never dream of parking in these wheelchair spots. However, if you have done or do please from now on leave these places for the people they're meant for and who depend on them to make their lives just a little less arduous.

Use the carp-park on the level above the shop entrance. It's almost as close, easier to park and you won't have to worry about me coming to whinge at you!

Rant over.

Not a rant - just a well articulated, reasonable request!

Perhaps Supervalu, and other retailers who provide carparking, could make a small effort to monitor the situation and discourage the lazy minority who abuse spaces which are reserved for others.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭cocker5

Here's what I mean:

But what irks me most:

Rant over.

While I 100% agree with your post!
    I just thought if point out the 'wheelchair' spaces are not just for people in a wheelchair but for all people with disabilities / mobility issues.

My father who had a massive stroke 15 years ago doesn't require a wheelchair at the moment but has really poor mobility / movement so he has one - not for him to drive as he can't but for people transporting him
    Around etc. Sorry just wanted to point out not all people who
    Use these spaces are wheelchair bound!

But I do agree anybody without the necessary disability badge and mobility issues should not be using these spaces - ever!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,663 ✭✭✭Charlie-Bravo

OP, I suggest you get in contact with the community Garda and also Disability Action Greystones : Together regarding improper use of parking. DAG:T have set themselves up to tackle such accessibility problems and can liaise with the Garda to see what can be done. As it is a private car park I wouldn't know whether the rules of the road extend to such places where the Garda can enforce the law. Best thing the management of Charlesland Centre can do is clamp offenders without disabled discs for parking in these spaces. It seems to be working well down at Shoreline.

Separately, and I don't mean to pull you up on the phrase Cocker5, when someone is a wheelchair user, they are just that, a wheelchair user and not necessarily bound (or strapped) to it.

-. . ...- . .-. / --. --- -. -. .- / --. .. ...- . / -.-- --- ..- / ..- .--.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,973 ✭✭✭RayM

On a slightly less serious note, it would be great if the people who insist on parking in the spaces directly across from the shop entrance, rather than in the big car park, could actually reverse in. So many people don't seem to realise that it's easier (and so much safer) to reverse in than out. It's painful sometimes, watching them trying to get out of those spaces.

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭stanley1980

cocker5 wrote: »
    While I 100% agree with your post!
    I just thought if point out the 'wheelchair' spaces are not just for people in a wheelchair but for all people with disabilities / mobility issues.

My father who had a massive stroke 15 years ago doesn't require a wheelchair at the moment but has really poor mobility / movement so he has one - not for him to drive as he can't but for people transporting him
    Around etc. Sorry just wanted to point out not all people who
    Use these spaces are wheelchair bound!

But I do agree anybody without the necessary disability badge and mobility issues should not be using these spaces - ever!

Cocker- As soon as I posted I realised my mistake. As you say, these spots are not solely for wheelchair users but for the range of people who are entitled to a disability badge for their cars. It's an important point so thanks for the correction.

• Advertisement

Thanks for the great advice Astrofluff- I have to admit I've never heard of these bodies but will certainly get in touch. I spoke to the manager of SuperValu about this issue. I pointed out that the spaces need to be better marked as disabled i.e. the paint is faded and some blue signs with the appropriate icons as other facilities have would improve them. Nothing has been done as of yet but we'll see.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭pixbyjohn

There are some people who just do not abide by any rules at all. Be it as above using disabled/wheelchair parking spaces or parking in pay & display spaces without paying, on yellow lines etc. They are simply inconsiderate selfish people who don't care about rules and laws or their fellow citizens.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭ellejay

I would have to say that i think greystones has the worst "parkers" in ireland.

Taking over 2 spaces, can't reverse into spaces, can't reverse out of spaces, dreadful parallel parking, my list is endless!!

I find the parking worse in the car park of super value on the main street, rather than Charlesland. In Charlesland they'd just run you over!!

rant over.....

• Registered Users Posts: 950 ✭✭✭Bettyboop

Anybody try get petrol at Topaz? Mothers parked all over the place there
    at school times. Sitting in their cars oblivious to people trying to get petrol
    and a quick lunch. Why they are allowed park there in the 1st place is beyond me:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,928 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

Bettyboop wrote: »
    and a quick lunch. Why they are allowed park there in the 1st place is beyond me:rolleyes:

they're not supposed to - the school tells all parents to use the church car park.

It would be up to Topaz to stop them but a lot of them would go into the shop while they're there so its extra business for Topaz I guess.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,599 ✭✭✭eigrod

loyatemu wrote: »
    they're not supposed to - the school tells all parents to use the church car park.

It would be up to Topaz to stop them but a lot of them would go into the shop while they're there so its extra business for Topaz I guess.

Speaking of which, the parking along by the church walls on Church Lane is becoming quite irritating too, particularly during car boot sales etc.

I don't really have a problem with it for church services as I suppose one can expect it on a Sunday morning and take a different route.

Some people don't seem to really care how little room they leave for others to get by and people pusing buggies or wheelchair users have no chance !

Also, people are now using it as all day parking and walking to the station (admittedly, only one or two). Hopefully they'll make it pay parking, except on Sundays.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,928 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

eigrod wrote: »
    Also, people are now using it as all day parking and walking to the station (admittedly, only one or two).

why would anyone do that - the Park & Ride is much closer to the station.

Bettyboop wrote: »
    Probably because Church Road and Rathdown Road are chocobloc with badly parked cars at school starting and finishing times:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭birdwatcher

ellejay wrote: »
    I would have to say that i think greystones has the worst "parkers" in ireland.

Taking over 2 spaces, can't reverse into spaces, can't reverse out of spaces, dreadful parallel parking, my list is endless!!

I find the parking worse in the car park of super value on the main street, rather than Charlesland. In Charlesland they'd just run you over!!

rant over.....

Have to say elliejay, I regularly take up 2 parking spaces in carparks...solely fir this reason:
    I came out of Lidl one evening to find an ignorant b@st@rd had sandwiched my car into the spot I was parked in...I couldn't even walk between the cars....never mind open the door.
    I had to wait for his lard arse to come out of Lidl and move his car before I could even get my key into the door.

Now I happily take up 2 spots, and really don't give a damn what people think.

The camera on the windscreen captures all of the little bumps now, which people feel they can get away with if a car is unattended.
    Unfortunately for them, leaving the scene of an accident is a criminal offence.
    :)

• Registered Users Posts: 26 seamountains

surely illegal parking is against the law?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,599 ✭✭✭eigrod

loyatemu wrote: »
    why would anyone do that - the Park & Ride is much closer to the station.

It's really not that much closer of a walk. And in the evenings, if I park in the Park & Ride I will see people who got off the same DART walking up Church Lane by the time I get there in the car.

It's not unusual for it to take 10/15 mins altogether to walk to the P&R from the station and then to drive out of it (can take 5 mins to get out of it some evenings) and drive up through the town. It only takes 5/6 minutes to walk from the station to the church on Church Lane.

The camera on the windscreen captures all of the little bumps now, which people feel they can get away with if a car is unattended.
    :)[/QUOTE]

You justify your anti-social and totally selfish behaviour on account that once someone 'wronged' you? Great logic!

Your attitude reeks of an insidious sense of entitlement and immaturity. In my experience people like you contribute little to society but ironically are often the first to complain. Grow up.

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭HappyDaze007

Have to say elliejay, I regularly take up 2 parking spaces in carparks...solely fir this reason:
    I came out of Lidl one evening to find an ignorant b@st@rd had sandwiched my car into the spot I was parked in...I couldn't even walk between the cars....never mind open the door.
    I had to wait for his lard arse to come out of Lidl and move his car before I could even get my key into the door.

:)

I as a normal citizen make it my duty to park my little car down between your such parking, making sure you can not get back in your own car.... Thanks for continuing this great game..

Oh and what if someone bumps you from behind... You likey or no likey..?

Within the past few weeks, I have had my doors scratched in the car parks of Shoreline and Aldi - I think it's time to start designing car parks for idiots with extra wide parking bays - and give people idiot badges so they can use those spaces! The idiots being those people who can't but help damage other people's cars. I had priced up the repair by two garages and it is 900euro and 1100euro to repair as two doors are dented from the damage.

I wouldn't blame Birdwatcher for using two spaces after such an event. Seriously considering this myself. So let me think; use two spaces inconveniencing everyone else, or spend another grand fixing my car! No-brainer.

When you say you use 2 spaces, I take it you mean 2 marked out spaces by lines on the tarmac. That doesn't stop someone still parking too near you if they wish. Or are you saying everyone else actually parks between the marked lines? Well if they do then there is no need for you to take up 2 spaces. Think about it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭Cerco

astrofluff wrote: »
    Within the past few week, I have had my doors scratched in the car parks of Shoreline and Aldi - I think its think time to start designing car parks for idiots with extra wide parking bays - and give people idiot badges so they can use those spaces! The idiots being those people who can't but help damage other people's cars. I had priced up the repair by two garages and it is 900euro and 1100euro to repair as two doors are dented from the damage.

I wouldn't blame Birdwatcher for using two spaces after such an event. Seriously considering this myself. So let me think; use two spaces inconveniencing everyone else, or spend another grand fixing my car! No-brainer.

It is really frustrating to find your car damaged by some irresponsible person. It is more aggravating to have it happen when you are in the car. Happened to me recently when a child banged their rear door into my driver's door. I bit my tongue and expected the adult driver, probably parent, to scold the child and apologise but neither happened. So what did the child learn? I know the adult witnessed the incident but choose to ignore it.
    Luckily they did no real damage that a buff and polish would not resolve.

However I think by taking up two bays you run the risk of some idiot trying to squeeze between you and an adjacent properly parked vehicle. This would likely cause more damage.

Just to follow up on this thread. I'd like to say a big thank you to SuperValu Charlesland and the management company there. I've just been down there and to my delight saw two brand-spanking new, clearly marked and freshly painted spots for disabled drivers as well as spaces for families at the front entrance.

I contacted both the shop and the management company several months ago about this and to be fair both were very kind, sympathetic and promised to get onto it- great to see they've been true to their word. I suspect others raised it with them too as I believe they're legally required to provide these. All the same- well done to them again.

Absolutely no excuses now for non-entitled people to be parking there....if you do and I happen to be passing expect to be made a show of!!

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭Aronaay

clearly marked and freshly painted spots for disabled drivers as well as spaces for families at the front entrance.

And still people are just blaintenly ignoring them and parking regardless or parking on the road leading to the carpark

• Registered Users Posts: 2,729 ✭✭✭zoobizoo

I've seen this all over the country. It really is a matter of approaching the parker and asking them "sorry, do you realise that you've parked in a handicapped (if that is the correct term) spot?"

More often than not embarrassing them works. But, if they're happy to park in a spot like that, they may not be too bothered by what you say to them. Certainly if they're that ignorant, they will not care.

Sometimes you'll be told to "eff off" but at least you've done your bit.

A more appropriate term would be 'disabled parking space' but hopefully society will get used to saying 'accessible parking space'.

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭birdwatcher

[/QUOTE]
    You justify your anti-social and totally selfish behaviour on account that once someone 'wronged' you? Great logic!

Your attitude reeks of an insidious sense of entitlement and immaturity. In my experience people like you contribute little to society but ironically are often the first to complain. Grow up.[/QUOTE]

Lets just keep it light here Stanley.... no need for name-calling
    I do what I do as a result of an individual in a mercedes and a similar individual in a mondeo who apparently have no concept of spacial awareness or common decency.

I appreciate your point of view, but in fairness, when you get back to your car...with groceries in tow, and can't even get TO the door....never mind get a key into it..I think you'd understand.
    My current attitude is brought about as a result of the "insidious sense of entitlement and immature parking .....of others. It's not tit-for-tat ...it's purely necessitated by lack of access.

On a separate note, re the parking situation at Supervalu, my attitude is that they should make ALL of the spaces in front of the entrance into disabled parking spots....and have everyone else park in the larger carpark....

Oh! and by the way, I'm all in favour of clamping parking offenders...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭Zoe zebra

A lot of the problem with all of these parking spaces is that they are quite narrow. If one person parks slightly crookedly then the next person does and so on. It's the same, or perhaps worse, at Supervalu on the main street. I have had my doors dented several times by other drivers ramming their doors open into mine. It is infuriating.

By the way, has anyone else noticed that some plonkers are parking their landrovers on top of the triangular concrete plinths in the carpark at Shoreline on Saturdays?

Zoe zebra wrote: »
    By the way, has anyone else noticed that some plonkers are parking their landrovers on top of the triangular concrete plinths in the carpark at Shoreline on Saturdays?

Yes, just pure laziness.

Your attitude reeks of an insidious sense of entitlement and immaturity. In my experience people like you contribute little to society but ironically are often the first to complain. Grow up.[/QUOTE]

Lets just keep it light here Stanley.... no need for name-calling
    I do what I do as a result of an individual in a mercedes and a similar individual in a mondeo who apparently have no concept of spacial awareness or common decency.

I appreciate your point of view, but in fairness, when you get back to your car...with groceries in tow, and can't even get TO the door....never mind get a key into it..I think you'd understand.
    My current attitude is brought about as a result of the "insidious sense of entitlement and immature parking .....of others. It's not tit-for-tat ...it's purely necessitated by lack of access.

On a separate note, re the parking situation at Supervalu, my attitude is that they should make ALL of the spaces in front of the entrance into disabled parking spots....and have everyone else park in the larger carpark....

Oh! and by the way, I'm all in favour of clamping parking offenders...[/QUOTE]

Your point still seems to be that as some thoughtless individuals inconvenienced you, you will now do likewise. Hence my original comments.

For the record I don't think what you're doing is the crime of the century or that I'll lie awake at night worrying about it. For me I put all this stuff in the same bracket as not dropping rubbish, picking up dog crap etc i.e. simple, relatively effortless things that cost nothing but are only noticed when they're not done. Besides this I'm no paragon of virtue I can assure you!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭recedite

A lot of the parking problems are caused by the people who drive massive SUV vehicles being unable to park them. Thus they feel it is OK to leave them in traffic lanes, on footpaths, in garage forecourts etc.. anything to avoid trying to park in a marked parking space.
    If you can't manage what is effectively a small truck, then get a hatchback instead. There is no problem fitting 3 or 4 kids in one.

Advertisement