Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

LOI week 30 & FAI cup semi-final matches.

Comments

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Congrats Longford, welcome to the big time ;)

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭civis_liberalis

CHealy wrote: »
    Enjoy. Looking forward to another non-Dublin club being in the Premier next year.

Longford train in Dublin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Boy we made that harder than we should have fine last night. #wegoagain

That tackle was as bad as you see. Worthy of 2 reds.

I wonder can Dundalk feel it slip away?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

gimmick wrote: »
    Boy we made that harder than we should have fine last night. #wegoagain

That tackle was as bad as you see. Worthy of 2 reds.

I wonder can Dundalk feel it slip away?
    Another result grinded out by Cork. It's almost as if they bore the opposition into submission. Four victories in a row under all sorts of pressure is impressive though.

You'd have to fancy them to win their next two as well. As a Dundalk fan I'm not overly concerned. Fact of the matter is we can afford to lose two of our next three games and still win the league.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

Congratulations Longford.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,597 ✭✭✭dan1895

Can't embed but a peach of a goal. More of the same in the coming weeks hopefully.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9FNTN9iqY6g&feature=youtu.be

Anyway congrats to Longford. At the start of the season I would of been happy with a playoff spot but it's a little disappointing having been so strong at one point but the team have done well considering most were unheard of before this year and Darren Tinnely was injured for a good chunk of the year. Hopefully we see off Cobh next week and push on through the playoffs to join Longford in the top flight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,426 ✭✭✭Roar

Pighead wrote: »
    Another result grinded out by Cork. It's almost as if they bore the opposition into submission. Four victories in a row under all sorts of pressure is impressive though.

You'd have to fancy them to win their next two as well. As a Dundalk fan I'm not overly concerned. Fact of the matter is we can afford to lose two of our next three games and still win the league.

Indeed. Pressure all on Dundalk though.

As for us, we were utter dog sh!t, again. 2-0 up against ten men and we play like we're the man down. It's infuriating. The game is crying out to bring on a fresh striker to run the channels and stretch them out. Instead we put 10 men across the 18 yard line. FFS.

Still though, 3 points is 3 points. Europe is guaranteed. Great scenes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,273 ✭✭✭flas

Longford train in Dublin.

Train in celbridge!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭BOHtox

Great to see Longford back in the league. The Flansiro with its 4 sides feels like a proper football ground! They have some good players and won't roll over next year. Over 2k people there last night too it would be great to see them getting crowds like that next year.

• Advertisement

Roar wrote: »
    Indeed. Pressure all on Dundalk though.
    Pressure?

In every tackle, in every pass, in every moment of a game there is an opportunity for greatness. An opportunity to become a legend. And if you want a thing bad enough you go out and fight for it. Work day and night for it. Give up your time and your peace and your sleep for it. If dogged and grim you besiege and beset it, You'll get it!

Inspirational words there. You can imagine them in a youtube video set to music and slow motion shots of Stephen Kenny and his magnificent players. Actually.....

Anybody who cringes is just jealous.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,058 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

I saw Cork recently at the Brandywell and couldn't believe they were pushing for the top of the table, they were very average.

But they are grinding out results. Sometimes that's all you need to do, and SK the Bottler may gift them the title.

NIMAN wrote: »
    Sometimes that's all you need to do, and SK the Bottler may gift them the title.
    Can't believe you're calling Kenny a bottler after all he won with your club. Jesus, some people don't know when they had it good. Four league cups, an FAI Cup a magnificent European run which brought PSG to the Brandywell and a couple of second place league finishes not to mention getting your lot back into the premier division when you's were dumped into division 1. All this having come in when your club was in a mess.Talk about a lack of respect!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Have to agree with Pighead there on Derry.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Nice goal from Shels, hope that lad stays in Ireland next season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,566 ✭✭✭✭CSF

dreamers75 wrote: »

Nice goal from Shels, hope that lad stays in Ireland next season.
    To be honest, he has been off form for quite a while. Very very fast but not been great with a ball at his feet. Desmond is the one I'm sure will leave his for a PD club and the one who I'll be devastated over.

• Advertisement

Can't believe you're calling Kenny a bottler after all he won with your club. Jesus, some people don't know when they had it good. Four league cups, an FAI Cup a magnificent European run which brought PSG to the Brandywell and a couple of second place league finishes not to mention getting your lot back into the premier division when you's were dumped into division 1. All this having come in when your club was in a mess.Talk about a lack of respect!

To be honest its a bit tongue in cheek from me.

Of course I had great times when Kenny was with us, he radically changed the club for the better (despite paying double contracts). I would never had the great Euro trips and ties without him, but we did lose 2 leagues on the last game, hence the Bottler tag.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭overshoot

Just one more sleep and 12hrs til the bus :)

Harps 20-1 to win and that ****ing terrifies me, never seen those odds for a team playing us before. Even LSL sides have had better odds.

We 1/10 with PP.

NIMAN wrote: »
    To be honest its a bit tongue in cheek from me.

Of course I had great times when Kenny was with us, he radically changed the club for the better (despite paying double contracts). I would never had the great Euro trips and ties without him, but we did lose 2 leagues on the last game, hence the Bottler tag.
    Wouldn't consider either of those lost leagues bottle jobs to be fair. First one you lost on the final day against a very good Cork side(who won the league) in Cork. And all this in his first season just a season after you fought relegation.

Second one Derry won their final three games of the season and were pipped on goal difference by Shels. I'd consider a bottle job blowing a big lead or losing games at the end of a campaign against teams you should be beating. Kenny should be a hero to Derry supporters.

Harps 20-1 to win and that ****ing terrifies me, never seen those odds for a team playing us before. Even LSL sides have had better odds.

We 1/10 with PP.
    youd think they learned their lesson last time! :pac:

• Advertisement

Wouldn't consider either of those lost leagues bottle jobs to be fair. First one you lost on the final day against a very good Cork side(who won the league) in Cork. And all this in his first season just a season after you fought relegation.

Second one Derry won their final three games of the season and were pipped on goal difference by Shels. I'd consider a bottle job blowing a big lead or losing games at the end of a campaign against teams you should be beating. Kenny should be a hero to Derry supporters.

Believe me, he definitely is.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,443 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

4-0 Sligo. O'Conor and Ledwith with the last goals to rub it in.
    Least I got the result spot on in the prediction league.
    Going to have to start looking at directions to Ferrycarrig etc.

Maybe its just semi final excitement, but despite the odds I'm strangely optimistic!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

Dinger from Brennan!

Still a stupid competition though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Packie Mailey. Dreadful name, great header.

Pats 1 - 1 Finn Harps

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,198 ✭✭✭buckfasterer

Omackeral wrote: »
    Packie Mailey. Dreadful name, great header.

Pats 1 - 1 Finn Harps

:confused::confused:

Well that was a walk in the park marred by a filthy tackle in the last couple of minutes, I wince each time I see it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

A horrendous challenge and needless at that point. Thought Chambers was gonna rip his head off. As funny as it is year in and year out, I wouldn't mind seeing Pats finally win it this year, they're good to watch.

Well so much for the optimism. Far too many sloppy passes, woeful positioning the list can go on so I'm not going to bother. League champs v mid div1 and it showed.

Dunno what mccarron was thinking at the end, woeful

Guess thats why it was 20-1 for the win.

Decent harps support, team not very good and fair few handballs and nasty tackles went in. Verdon suspected broken leg, poor chap.
    10623489_787515681287887_1381435514726622514_o.jpg

The Tackle

BzMVPZwIgAEHqd2.png

• Advertisement

Guess thats why it was 20-1 for the win.

Decent harps support, team not very good and fair few handballs and nasty tackles went in. Verdon suspected broken leg, poor chap.
    10623489_787515681287887_1381435514726622514_o.jpg

The Tackle

BzMVPZwIgAEHqd2.png

Where's the ball? Wouldn't expect less from Harps though. Team of thugs.

Well that's done, flight back booked for the Sunday morning (again). . .you think I'd know better at this stage. . .stupid competition. . .

. . .Supersaints!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,754 ✭✭✭oldyouth

Ollie never disappoints :P

dan1895 wrote: »
    Where's the ball? Wouldn't expect less from Harps though. Team of thugs.

Verdon played it along the ground in the direction he's facing, in my estimation it's hidden by his torso in the pic. It was a properly late tackle with his weight put into it, you can see Verdons leg bend under the strain, nasty

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,508 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Crinklewood

Poor game

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,393 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

Poor game

0-0 written all over it.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,393 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

I take that back

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

I haven't watched the match back on tv yet, but that tackle on Verdon was a disgrace. How the ref didn't show a red card is beyond me. The red card they did get was slightly harsh i thought and nowhere near as bad as the tackle on Verdon.

Delighted with the win and the performance. A day out at Lansdowne to look forward to. Can't wait.

Cock

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,508 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Crinklewood

Cock

Give me a few minutes.

That tackle. Jesus. Harps are mad for that sort of thing though. Red cards all over the place. 2 against us this year, 1 for another act of violence on another young lad.

CSF wrote: »
    That tackle. Jesus. Harps are mad for that sort of thing though. Red cards all over the place. 2 against us this year, 1 for another act of violence on another young lad.
    oh please, the first red card was a tough tackle and the ban was thrown out after video evidence provided by your own club! the second was a high foot and the man coming in from behind him with his head down. act of violence ffs, we may have our discipline issues but your hardly a crowd of angels.

we blew your title chance, now get over it.

Happy with the draw, looking forward to Tuesday night in the Brandywell, and hopefully beating Pats again in the Aviva in November.

overshoot wrote: »
    oh please, the first red card was a tough tackle and the ban was thrown out after video evidence provided by your own club! the second was a high foot and the man coming in from behind him with his head down. act of violence ffs, we may have our discipline issues but your hardly a crowd of angels.

Have a look at the red card tallies. There are no comparisons to be made.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 815 ✭✭✭Collibosher

CSF wrote: »
    .. Desmond is the one I'm sure will leave his for a PD club and the one who I'll be devastated over.

Agreed.

Stood out at left back when i saw him for the under 19's last season. Has been quality this season.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,936 ✭✭✭kksaints

Delighted to be in the final. Got a bit nervy for a few minutes after Harps scored but once we scored the 2nd we were in cruise control. Harps were a needlessly dirty team, every tackle seemed to have a follow through of some sort and sadly Verdon got a nasty injury from an awful tackle that should have been a red card. Manager seems like a nutjob also.

Really bad performance by the ref, aswell as the tackle mentioned earlier, a blatant handball from a Harps player in the box was missed and Forrester was dragged to the ground in the box and nothing was given either.

Good atmosphere and a good crowd. Finn Harps brought a decent amount and a colourful bunch aswell.

I'd agree we had a bunch of thugs last year but not this season. Harps are easily the dirtiest team in the division if not the whole league.

dan1895 wrote: »
    I'd agree we had a bunch of thugs last year but not this season. Harps are easily the dirtiest team in the division if not the whole league.

Of course we were, where have I ever said we didn't have an issue? Horgan was pulled into the board room a few times and told to sort it. Our reputation didn't help at times and basically had to start pulling out of tackles for a few games to stop the rot, it was a few months since our last red and all that undone yesterday of course.

I just took offence to csfs sensationalist act of violence line is all. And good man for not having such a short memory and getting the no angels remark

Of course we were, where have I ever said we didn't have an issue? Horgan was pulled into the board room a few times and told to sort it. Our reputation didn't help at times and basically had to start pulling out of tackles for a few games to stop the rot, it was a few months since our last red and all that undone yesterday of course.

I just took offence to csfs sensationalist act of violence line is all. And good man for not having such a short memory and getting the no angels remark
    I was 2 feet away from the red card on Adam O'Connor, it was nothing short of an act of violence. Nothing sensationalist about it. Nothing to do with short memory either, I post about Alan Matthews and his band of thugs with utter disdain as does the vast majority of our fanbase.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭CHealy

Very dissapointed with the crowds at yesterdays games. Harps and Derry had good support given the distance but I was particularly surprised with the seemingly low home attendances. Hell of alot of empty seats in Inchicore and it was the same in Tallaght, going by the TV anyway.

Has the Cup lost its appeal?

Can't help but feel if there was a cup semi final on at Cork, Dundalk, Sligo or Derry there would be close to full houses at each.

• Advertisement
Advertisement