Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Water registration pack if tenancy unregistered?

Options
  • 03-10-2014 7:30am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 456 ✭✭

My neighbours have now all received their registration packs, but we haven't.

Wondering if it's possibly due to the fact the tenancy hasn't been registered with the prtb or is it a simple error? Would the owner have received one?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭tinz18

I rang up Irish water yday and they said some of the packs haven't been sent out yet. No one in our courtyard has them and we're registered with ptrb. The girl said if we haven't gotten them by the sixth of october to ring up and they'll either set it all up on the phone or request a pack to be sent out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 456 ✭✭2013Lara

tinz18 wrote: »
    I rang up Irish water yday and they said some of the packs haven't been sent out yet. No one in our courtyard has them and we're registered with ptrb. The girl said if we haven't gotten them by the sixth of october to ring up and they'll either set it all up on the phone or request a pack to be sent out.

All of our neighbours have theirs though which is what's confusing me. I'll leave it another week and then try get something sorted. Thanks for your reply.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,897 ✭✭✭adocholiday

I'm in the same position as you OP. No pack received but some of our neighbours did. We are definitely registered with the PRTB too. Is there a chance that packs for rented accommodation would be sent to the landlord as he would be the registered owner of the property? How are they determining who lives in a unit?

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

I'm in the same position as you OP. No pack received but some of our neighbours did. We are definitely registered with the PRTB too. Is there a chance that packs for rented accommodation would be sent to the landlord as he would be the registered owner of the property? How are they determining who lives in a unit?

There are separate packs for landlord and tenant

• Closed Accounts Posts: 456 ✭✭2013Lara

We're definitely not registered. Ours is a tricky situation in that were trying to buy the house (for over a year). And I think as far as certain people (revenue, his banks) are aware, the house is empty.

Any other unregistered tenants out there?

• Advertisement

Then it might be down to ringing them up on the 6th and asking for a pack- otherwise you won't get your allowance and will be paying more.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

tinz18 wrote: »
    Then it might be down to ringing them up on the 6th and asking for a pack- otherwise you won't get your allowance and will be paying more.

Not necessarily true,

I certainly wouldn't be ringing them

Forgive me- I don't know the complete ins and outs of the Irish water plan. I spose that it depends on whether the house is metered or not then?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭Cheshire Cat

I don't think it's to do with being registered. We are registered tenants and the letter from Irish Water was addressed to "The Occupant". It's highly unlikely that they know who lives where.

It also doesn't matter if your house has a meter yet. If you don't have one you pay the flat rate.

Sorry I meant it depends on whether the OPs house is metered or not whether she would have to worry about missing out on the free allowances because they'd be using water and the meters would be totting up the units whether the house was registered with irish water or not.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 738 ✭✭✭Gaillimh1976

I work for a landlord, we got a letter listing all the rental properties, telling us that a pack would be going to 'the occupier' at each of these listed addresses, and that we should follow up with our tenants to make sure they had completed the registration process.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,424 ✭✭✭garhjw

PRTB registration has nothing to do with receiving the packs. Some of my tenants have received packs while others haven't and they are in the same building. Some of the packs are also addressed to the wrong people, some of whom never lived in the apartments.

As a landlord, I haven't yet received a pack. The landlord of the building next to mine hasn't received any packs for him or his tenants yet.

I'm not looking forward to speaking with IW customer care next week to try and sort it out.

I can see this process dragging on for months well passed the first billing period in January 2015

garhjw wrote: »
    I can see this process dragging on for months well passed the first billing period in January 2015

I wouldn't be suprised

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Corinthcanal

They will be years sorting it out. A friend of mine gets a ground rent of €17 a year from 2 houses. It was left to her by her father. Now she might have to pay water rates.

• Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭cant26

Op we didn't received a pack and our neighbours did. I rang the landlord to see if he knew anything and it turns out the pack had been sent to him. He dropped it over today. We are registered with the PRTB not sure if that makes any difference. Maybe give your landlord a call and see if it went to him/her.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭slith

We haven't received ours but as far as I know our neighbours have. We rang IW yesterday, no, we won't be receiving a letter? Why? Because someone else (all they can tell us is that this person lives in another place completely different altogether to ours) has set up our account already. Without our information.

Of ocurse, IW offered to take our PPSN etc over the phone, to which we refused, we don't want our personal data passed onto some complete stranger that has, somehow, managed to set up an account for an address they don't live in?

Our landlord, as far as we know, does not live in Ireland and we rent through a estate agent. So go figure!

Anyone seen anything like this?

I haven't but now I know what to expect when I ring up. Sounds pretty dodgy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 timmymac11

Gatling wrote: »
    Not necessarily true,

I certainly wouldn't be ringing them

it is true of.u don't ring them to register for your allowances you will get a estimated bill for 424 euro

Neither we or our landlord received our pack so I rang today, after being on hold for ten minutes followed by another twenty minutes of giving details to fill forms I got told that his computer wasn't working and they'd ring back later today- its 7 pm and still no call back.... so I guess I'm going to have to waste more credit calling them again tomorrow and go through the rigmarole again tomorrow. I have absolutely no issue with paying for the water but its crap like this makes my blood boil, why should I have to chase them down to give them my details when it's their job to send out the forms and they never did.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,341 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

I received 2 packs for the same apartment in the Gasworks which I rent. One pack had a Barrow Street address, the other a South LOtts Road address. My conclusion is that they have access to utility details as Electric Ireland uses Barrow Street and Bord Gais uses South Lotts Road. I suspect there'll be a lot of this. Of course non of the properties can be metered. Int he UK this is dealt with by charging the managing agent for the water used which then becomes part of the service charge. I can only assume that the Irish solution is to charge a flat rate for ever in these circumstances...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28 uki

I am a landlord and registered with PRTB got a registration pack sent out. The tenant has not registered. I would say they got my address from PRTB. Had to give IW the name of tenant to give him chance of registration to claim conservation grant. If I was the tenant i would f.. off IW. If your landlord has not registered the property with PRTB I would say that there is a good chance that they will not know who lives in the house.

If you don't have a meter yet- even better. I would not break my neck telling them if they do not have the data.

I would say the majority will not pay the charges and the whole thing will eventually collapse. The people who pay will not be refunded if water charges are abolished. You can register - but I would not pay unless they bring us all to court - which they cannot do.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭slith

Well, after registering on our name IW still sent the charges to 'The Occupier'. They seem to have the data about the household correctly (i.e. address and number of occupants, etc) and we do have a meter installed (little choice we had on that), but no names on the bill.

I have no intention to pay. If they truly can take it off my wages they can go and do so. I won't stop them. But I will not spend a minute trying to set them up with my bank, not a chance. They can do the legwork to Revenue or whoever themselves. Now that they can do it this way, why would I bother doing it myself?

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭durtybit

I have a question and I can't find an answer to it. How does a bogus person "The Occupier" or a deceased person register for this service? Is there some sort of contract law scam going on here? Multiple reports of families getting bills made out to deceased people.

So the figures they include as registered, quite a few are presumed bogus

Advertisement