Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why is the failure to pay standing order charge so high?

Options
  • 03-10-2014 7:43am
    Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭

I'm pretty sure the question gets it all in there.

The fact is, I was too broke to pay the standing order as I had just paid my rent and I wasn't too worried because the standing order goes again on the 15th when it fails to go on the 1st with no interruption of service and just a little extra charge for lateness, which I will then be able to afford. It appears that there is now a punishment for being broke.

I was relying on that money to get me through the week and then I find that BOI has taken 12.70 from me of the little I had left, so I'm seriously considering transferring banks and will do some research over the weekend because this has just hit a serious nerve. 3-5 euro might have been acceptable, even if the matter is incredibly trivial, but 12.70? You're having a laugh.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 314 ✭✭Bank of Ireland: Janet

I'm pretty sure the question gets it all in there.

The fact is, I was too broke to pay the standing order as I had just paid my rent and I wasn't too worried because the standing order goes again on the 15th when it fails to go on the 1st with no interruption of service and just a little extra charge for lateness, which I will then be able to afford. It appears that there is now a punishment for being broke.

I was relying on that money to get me through the week and then I find that BOI has taken 12.70 from me of the little I had left, so I'm seriously considering transferring banks and will do some research over the weekend because this has just hit a serious nerve. 3-5 euro might have been acceptable, even if the matter is incredibly trivial, but 12.70? You're having a laugh.
    Hi Robmeister2011,

Thanks for your post.

The 12.70 charge in relation to unpaid standing orders or direct debits has always been in place.

Here's a link on how to minimise fees on your account, this may help.

Also here's the a link to fees and charges and if you refer to the bottom of the brochure, there is advice on 'How to save on fees, service charges and interest'.

Janette

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭Robmeister2011

Ah no, it's just not on any more really. It's the most expensive charge of this nature around I've discovered.

Sorry, but I'll be closing the account at next payday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭Bank of Ireland: Alison

Hi Robmeister2011

We're really sorry to hear you are deciding to close your account as a result of this charge.

We do hope you will reconsider, if we can help with further advice here, please do feel free to ask.

Thanks
    Alison

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭V.W.L 11

He ain't the only one suffering from this crap, I am as well, another customer who shall be waving bye bye

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 75 ✭✭walshyp

I'm leaving as well. Bank of Ireland = rip off merchants.

• Advertisement
Advertisement