Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best steak in the city?

Options
  • 03-10-2014 9:12am
    Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭

The steak is Rouge is good but to small and I had the steak in Dela was good but could be better.

Wondering where people would recommend?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭aidan_r

Best steak I've had in the city was in Martines.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Kai in my opinion but Park House Hotel is supposedly good too.

• Registered Users Posts: 786 ✭✭✭aw

Just recalling a few off the top of my head.

Rouge - tiny, pitiful, gristley, overdone
    Cooke's - have been twice. first was excellent. second was only mediocre
    Scotty's - excellent piece of meat and well cooked
    Brasserie - above average. Nice sides.
    Claregalway Hotel - surprisingly delicious. Nice piece of meat, nicely cooked (I know slightly outside city)

I really want to try Oscar's, have heard it's delicious!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,846 ✭✭✭siltirocker

Big fan of Vina Mara, Martine's and Cactus Jacks.

Cactus Jacks is probably the best I've had.

Rouge can be great, but again, it's feckin' tiny.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭Squeeonline

Mulberries out in Barna. The Twelve as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,412 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

It would have been back in late 2013, but I had a fantastic steak in Martine's of Quay Street.

I've only been to Rouge once, and the steak I had on that particular night was awful. Hardly any flavour, and it was cut up into strips which I thought was bizarre.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭Davarus Walrus

As well as doing great seafood, Oscars do a great steak. It's only one choice of cut as it's primarily a seafood restaurant, but it's a good steak. Portions are generous there as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,218 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

Kai is the best I've had in Galway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭ErnieBert

Call over to me.

Here's how I do it....
    I buy steak in Collerans, leave it sit at room temperature for a few hours and rub a bit of salt in it.

Shred the bejaysus out of some garlic, pan fry the garlic in coconut oil, then lob in the steak with some Kerrygold and brown it. Take the beast out and swaddle her in tin foil and feck her into the oven until cooked to a pinkness of your choice. Meanwhile, fill the buttery oily garlicy pan with sliced onions and add sesame oil. This awesome aroma will be the same smell in your pants for at least 36 hours. Make sure the window is open!

In the other oven, make sure the chips are going to be ready in the nick of time and that they are well seasoned.

This food won't help you get a ride but it's good for self esteem and a few brownie points.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,540 ✭✭✭sgthighway

Brasserie On The Corner

#closethread

• Advertisement

Martines do a lovely steak.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭Spring Onion

I haven't been there in ages but McSwiggans used to do a great steak.

Rouge and Kai let me down on steak this year. The meat was poor quality but I still like those restaurants and tend to choose fish these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

Vina mara - Monday to weds... €10 for the steak (10oz usually €26.50)

Feels like robbery because the steak is great

• Registered Users Posts: 8,172 ✭✭✭Wompa1

My favorite spot was KC Blakes but it's gone now...just for steak. Also, Scotty's was great but haven't had steak there in a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,711 ✭✭✭Redhairedguy

Going for a Scotty's steak this coming Saturday. I am excite! :pac:

Only place so far to consistantly cook my steak exactly how I've asked for it!

I haven't been there in ages but McSwiggans used to do a great steak.

Forgot mcswiggans, I ate there race week and got a savage steak there too. I had steak in martines race week also and I would say it was better but nothing wrong with the mcswiggans steak and it was massive (as I went for a very big one).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭tonic wine

Vina mara - Monday to weds... €10 for the steak (10oz usually €26.50)

Feels like robbery because the steak is great

Tried this last week. Great steak, unbelievable for €10.

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭ned14

sgthighway wrote: »
    Brasserie On The Corner

#closethread

100% agree. The Fillet Steak there is one of the best steaks I have ever had. I'd swear it melts in your mouth. If you haven't got that steak yet, you're really missing out. In fact, I might go back there this weekend... stay away from my steak!

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭KABLOOEY

White Gables is best I've had. Big portions of sides too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,650 ✭✭✭cooperguy

Iv got a great steak in McCambridges. Its expensive but really really good

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭huggs2

Scotties is where i have steak,he gets it straight from a local farm.I tend to order other items on the menu in restaurants because i can do a great steak at home with help of meat from a supplier in ballinrobe who supplies Ashford castle and other great places to eat.Their meat is now available in dunnes. Look for the vacuum packed packets with mainly black colour and on the back it says "We travelled to Ballinrobe.... " This is probably the best steak ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,711 ✭✭✭Redhairedguy

huggs2 wrote: »
    Scotties is where i have steak,he gets it straight from a local farm.

The menu on Saturday said that it came from Kinvara. My ribeye was medium rare, but more rare than medium... :pac: nom.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭Citizenpain

Brasserie On The Corner

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭Butterface

Brasserie on the Corner. A big lump of fillet steak cooked perfectly. I turn down the chips and go for some of the veg sides instead! After that I'd go for The Twelve out in Barna.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Couldn't get a table in Brasserie On The Corner, so the next phone number I found was Cactus Jacks. Got a 12oz sirloin. It was magnificent. Full marks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭zweton

all this talk of steak mmmmm :-) have a table booked for brasserie on sat night looking forward to it now :)

Advertisement