Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Posting in "Talk to" forum

Options
  • 03-10-2014 10:39am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,141 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    I seem to be having a problem with posting new posts/questions on these forums. Every so often the cursor jumps back a character (as if I'd pressed the left arrow key), so making a hash of what I'm trying to type.

It only happens on IE(v11), it doesn't appear to be a problem on Chrome, I'm in work so I can't test FF (locked down PCs:mad:)

I notice it's a different style of form, so perhaps there is a different template or JavaScript being used (or IE interprets it incorrectly).

Has anyone else noticed this?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,840 ✭✭✭Dav

There is a difference in the forms used between the rest of the site and the Talk To forums, so if you're experiencing issues, then not being able to replicate them on other forums would indicate some manner of issue between IE11 and whatever tech is powering the form (I'm afraid I don't remember what specifically was used). I'm moving this into Site Dev so one of the lads there can get a look at it (I'll also ping them about it directly so we can test).

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭zbluebirdz

I’ve posted a question in one of the “Talk to” forurms and had a similar issue - misbehaving cursor.

This happens in IE11.

The Question form is the causing issues (not the reply ones).

Once the cursor is in the body field, it appears that the auto-correct facility is misbehaving.
    i.e.
    - I make a typo and I attempt to correct it – there is a race between me and the auto-correct function. Who wins .... me after a while (requires patience!)
    - Sometimes the auto-correction function is a bit “slow” when I type a bit too quick and moves the cursor back a few characters causing the word to become a typo and it attempts to correct that “mistake”
    - I originally put something into the title field ... and then enter text into the body field. I then return to the title .. after a second, the cursor goes back into the body field by itself (probably by the auto-correct function).
    - I move the cursor into another field ... it jumps back into the body field

The “Ask a question” rich-text editing facility is different from the forum’s rich-text editing facility (I have no problems with the forum’s one).

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭zbluebirdz

Another quirk found ...

When doing a "Reply" (from an existing post), you start typing in a few letters, then you use the backspace key to edit out those letters, the cursor jumps into the quoted text block ... you cannot get out of the quote text block ... (unless you use the "View Source" facility).

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.

Advertisement