Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ADVICE NEEDED: Band looking to get into pub scene.

• 03-10-2014 12:41pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭

Hi there,

I've been playing in a band for a year and a half now. We are an original band, but are looking to add some covers to our setlist so that a pub will consider taking us on for a night and pay us. However, we haven't had an progress yet as we can't decide on songs to play. I don't want to go approaching bars unless we've a decent set!! Any advice?? :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭themountainman

What advise are you looking for exactly? How to get in, or which songs to play? You will need a strong set list of about 30 songs before you can approach pubs I would imagine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭FionnK86

What advise are you looking for exactly? How to get in, or which songs to play? You will need a strong set list of about 30 songs before you can approach pubs I would imagine.

Any advice at all apprecited :o:o:o

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,869 Mod ✭✭✭✭Siamsa Sessions

Go to the pubs and have a pint there whatever nights they have music on.

You'll see fairly fast then what kind of stuff bands play there, the age profile of the customers, etc.

You don't have to copy the songs you hear, but you will have an idea then of the genre required.

Trading as Sullivan’s Farm on YouTube

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,115 ✭✭✭✭Nervous Wreck

FionnK86 wrote: »
    However, we haven't had an progress yet as we can't decide on songs to play.

Decide on songs to play.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,452 ✭✭✭Rigsby

Decide on songs to play.

+1. When you have decided, then make a demo of about three songs and present them to any potential venue manager.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 168 ✭✭keyboardcook

Also. EVERYONE you meet nowdays is online. Have you a profile developed? Not necessarily a website. Soundcloud, YouTube, FaceBook. Show your potential clients that you have a package worth their consideration.

You don't say what part of the country you are in. But I will say this much. It costs NOTHING to talk. So be brave. Go to the bars and strike up a conversation with the manager. Tell hm exactly where you are. You will be surprised how willing people are to give advice. We all put our trousers on one leg at a time.

Essentially, besides asking other musicians, ask the bar owners what they want. They are the final client in the end. Focus on their needs.

And most importantly. Don't let the tail wag the dog. If this is to fund your original music, NEVER loose sight of that. Lord. If I had a euro for every time I've seen lads and lasses give up on the dream for some quick money.........

Advertisement