Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommend waterproof overshoes?

Options

Comments

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,132 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Even if waterproof you can expect leakage from above and via the cleat hole. Although the ability to minimise seepage is helpful, you will have to face up to wet socks and shoes on some occasions regardless. Yes they help keep out the rain, but it's as much about keeping the feet warm with overshoes

• Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭Hmmzis

In my experience no overshoes will keep your feet dry in persistent rain for a prolonged period of time. As beasty said, the water will evetually get in through the cleat holes from below and from above it will seep through the cuff. Duck tape over the cleat plate from the inside of the shoe can help with this as will putting your leg warmers/tights over the overshoe instead of inside it. But eventually the water will find a way in.

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭seany15

Beasty wrote: »
    Even if waterproof you can expect leakage from above and via the cleat hole. Although the ability to minimise seepage is helpful, you will have to face up to wet socks and shoes on some occasions regardless. Yes they help keep out the rain, but it's as much about keeping the feet warm with overshoes

This. I've found the only true way to keep feet dry and warm is actually two pairs of overshoes, one neoprene and over that a pair of endura semi waterproof ones, regularly treated with waterproofing spray. Still let in a bit of water though....

• Registered Users Posts: 31,062 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Newspaper and multiple pairs of shoes.

I'm using winter road boots with no holes or ventilation and while they're great at stopping wet from the road they fill up like buckets when it rains properly.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Alek

Waterproof or neoprene socks should make it bearable enough.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,132 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

I'm still awaiting the clingfilm suggestions ...;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭Carpenter

I like that :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,242 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

Carry a spare pair of (dry) socks on your commute?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭on_the_nickel

These any good to you?
    umbrella04.jpg

Unfortunately the original "captain havoc clingfilm" image has been removed from whichever place it was hosted online, so we only have our sweet memories to rely on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,161 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Something like below should help to keep it out of the ankle

assuming the res of the show is waterproof.

$_35.JPG

Tried plastic bags once, my feet were wet before I even left home :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭Rambling Man

Alek wrote: »
    Tried plastic bags once, my feet were wet before I even left home :rolleyes:

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSrr18o93k3FlXS3xUyTGRwwjrhgbbrWM54qpsyMw017DEwTjqHEQ

Actually I've tried them inside the shoe ;)

unless you stop it entering at the cuff its pointless.
    The human leg is perfectly designed to funnel water into the sock/shoe.

GreeBo wrote: »
    unless you stop it entering at the cuff its pointless.
    The human leg is perfectly designed to funnel water into the sock/shoe.

This is the problem gaitors were invented to solve. I have never tried wearing gaitors while cycling for fear of being ostracised.

I have tried duct tape though, oddly (and unjustifiably) without the same fear. The only problem was that it ripped a hole in my tights when I removed it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,114 ✭✭✭stecleary

I use northwave H20 and they are the best I've come across. Never gonna keep you completely dry but much better than any neoprene ones I've tried

• Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭oceanclub

Ta all. I was in a shop dropping bike off for service anyway and saw Endura Road Overshoes for what seemed like a decent price. I am hoping they stand up to their 10/10 Cycling Weekly rating :) "'Tight-fitting, stylish, water repellent and extremely warm; what more do you want from an overshoe?"
    P>

• Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭the world wonders

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭BrianHenryIE

I got Endura Luminite Overshoes last year and eventually they frayed and water would get in regularly. This year I ordered Oneten Flow Waterproof Overshoes but I haven't gotten to try them out yet (bike was in the shop today). In both cases I ordered XL and it's been a tight enough fit on size 10.5 shoes. I use this velcro reflector to hold my waterproof trousers over the top of the overshoes.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭bcmf

Lumen wrote: »
    Unfortunately the original "captain havoc clingfilm" image has been removed from whichever place it was hosted online, so we only have our sweet memories to rely on.
    That image and is hairy legs will never leave me. Despite all the medication - its still embedded in my memory bank.

Waterproof socks (with a membrane) are funny. They feel wet when wet, but your feet are dry. Weird.

• Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭Beer Assistant

Did 45kms today in the rain with Polaris Neoprene overshoes feet were soaked through

Did 45kms today in the rain with Polaris Neoprene overshoes feet were soaked through

Neoprene isn't designed to be waterproof though, it's too keep you warm when wet.

I'd guess you could treat them so the water beads off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

Does anyone have recomendations for waterproof shoe covers?
    Most of the ones in the online shops have mixed reviews :(

tuxy wrote: »
    Does anyone have recomendations for waterproof shoe covers?
    Most of the ones in the online shops have mixed reviews :(
    As it's less than 3 days since we had a similar thread I've merged this post into it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,013 ✭✭✭Ole Rodrigo

Mixed reviews I think come from different expectations.

I'll take warm wet feet over cold dry ones any day. Good quality neoprene will offer warmth first, and then incrementally better water resistance as the price goes up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

As it's less than 3 days since we had a similar thread I've merged this post into it

Sorry, good info in this thread. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭Unknown Soldier

I bought a pair of those Fishermans socks in Aldi recently. They are kind of weird tbh.

I have a hunch I'll be able to report back at some stage this week :/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,441 ✭✭✭tritium

Got BBB water flex s recently. Only had one use last week for about 40 mins of cycling when it was chucking down. Very impressed with them, the shoes did a great job. Having rainproofs helped since the rain couldn't run down and into the boot.

Advertisement