Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommend waterproof overshoes?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

tritium wrote: »
    Got BBB water flex s recently. Only had one use last week for about 40 mins of cycling when it was chucking down. Very impressed with them, the shoes did a great job. Having rainproofs helped since the rain couldn't run down and into the boot.

I have these also and was out for 90 minutes during august in the pouring rain and my feet stayed bone dry. I also have BBB heavy duty overshoes which are not waterproof but are exceptionally warm in cold weather.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 824 ✭✭✭Kinet1c

Another BBB waterflex owner, only had to use them once since getting them a few weeks ago but was impressed with how dry my feet were considering the downpour I was subjected to.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Have ordered a pair of BBB waterflex (that I hope will fit!), but my concern is like most here. Having the water run down my leg and into the shoe. Still wearing shorts, and probably will continue to do so for a long while yet.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 208 ✭✭Alfreado

Unfortunately like people have already said, there's really no such thing as waterproof overshoes, despite what manufacturers say. Ive had castelli ones for all last winter and found them great.

Link - http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/mobile/ie/en/castelli-nano-waterproof-overshoes-aw14/rp-prod81612

It's also worth duct taping the cleat holes under the liner, really slows the leaking process!

• Registered Users Posts: 648 ✭✭✭slap/dash

I've used oversocks which are ok for commuting an hour each way if a tad crap if you have cold wet gear for the ride home. Still, an hour is nothing.

I'd like something that could keep warm without dying with sweat for 3+ hour rides between c5-10c. Mtb spd large size shoes. I don't mind up to maybe 50 or so. So many conflicting reviews out thurr. Craft? Dhb?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

I use Endura MT500. They're designed for MTB but work well with SPD SL's. Very warm, strong and durable and keep most of the water out (I don't have front mud guards on any of my bikes). They're the best I've found yet.

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/ie/en/endura-mt500-mtb-overshoe/rp-prod17096

• Registered Users Posts: 648 ✭✭✭slap/dash

I use Endura MT500. They're designed for MTB but work well with SPD SL's. Very warm, strong and durable and keep most of the water out (I don't have front mud guards on any of my bikes). They're the best I've found yet.

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/ie/en/endura-mt500-mtb-overshoe/rp-prod17096

Thanks! I just ordered the bbb race proof on sale. We'll see

Kinet1c wrote: »
    Another BBB waterflex owner, only had to use them once since getting them a few weeks ago but was impressed with how dry my feet were considering the downpour I was subjected to.

These bit the dust after about 3.5 months. I reckon it's down to me having SPD as opposed to SL/Look cleats, threading on the underneath getting worn out due to feet down etc.

Picked up a pair of Northwave H20 Overshoes to replace them. Those few days without a pair of overshoes really made my feet hate the commute.

Not sure if I should be treating these as disposable items and expect to replace them every winter but would like to get through 1 winter with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,762 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

http://www.evanscycles.com/products/gore-bike-wear/city-overshoes-ec024457

I use these and a pair of goretex leggings. With mudguards on my commuter it's about as dry as you can get.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 30 vonievega

A thick layer of vaseline on a plastic bag secured with duck tape.

• Advertisement

Pinch Flat wrote: »
    http://www.evanscycles.com/products/gore-bike-wear/city-overshoes-ec024457

I use these and a pair of goretex leggings. With mudguards on my commuter it's about as dry as you can get.

I definitely noticed a huge difference when I added a set of raceblades.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,895 ✭✭✭pprendeville

Kinet1c wrote: »
    I definitely noticed a huge difference when I added a set of raceblades.

Not the easiest to install and need to be sure of clearance (especially if you have an aero frame) but definitely make a huge difference when you don't have as much spray going on your feet.

Not the easiest to install and need to be sure of clearance (especially if you have an aero frame) but definitely make a huge difference when you don't have as much spray going on your feet.

Yeah they will take a lot of the spray off you.

Just make sure you don't make the same mistake as I did - make sure there's a decent buffer between the underside of the clip and the frame or it'll scratch your frame. They supply strips that are ok - I cut up rubber strips from an old tubs that dos the job.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭G1032

I got a tip back in September (sometime around then anyway) on how to keep very dry

Tape under the insole to cover the air hole. Then fill the airhole with silicon. You'll get a cheap tube of it for 3 or 4 euro. No need for Tec 7 or anything expensive. That, along with neoprene shoe covers, have kept my very dry all winter

I'll put a photo of bottom of shoe up later.

G1032 wrote: »
    I got a tip back in September (sometime around then anyway) on how to keep very dry

Tape under the insole to cover the air hole. Then fill the airhole with silicon. You'll get a cheap tube of it for 3 or 4 euro. No need for Tec 7 or anything expensive. That, along with neoprene shoe covers, have kept my very dry all winter

Ive seen someone on here recommending melted wax - suppose anything that seals the holes and you can get out handy

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

G1032 wrote: »

Theres no need for silicon, duct tape over the hole a few times and if need be put some tape over the hole on the inside of the shoe also, easy to remove and hasnt failed me in three winters.

Advertisement