Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Damaged property twice in a fortnight.

Options
  • 03-10-2014 1:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,381 ✭✭✭✭

I feel like an absolute idiot.. :mad:

Two weeks ago left hob on with oil. Serious smoke damage done, and Hob cover exploded (Glass) all over the kitchen. Luckily it never became a full fire, but there is a lot of smoke damage.
    Because of the smoke damage I have been unable to stay there, and Insurance guys arrived and checked out the place. I have been staying in different places, but I have not looked for any money for hotel or lodgings etc..

Anyway, two days ago I got sick of moving around, and I decided to check out the house. House was aired out, I thought it may be okay to stay. I stayed the night here last night and the night before.
    This morning I wanted to make toast. Toaster was broken from previous damage, so I used grill...

:mad::mad::mad::mad:

I only had it on low. It's an oven and grill. Oven below, Grill on top. It burnt out the clock and the 4 knobs for the Oven/Grill.. It is destroyed, and a lot more damage to press above it.

I'm livid... Does anybody know where to go from here? I feel like an absolute idiot, do I have to phone insurance again? They haven't even finished processing the last time...
    I don't know what to do, any help really appreciated..

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,966 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Firstly, What exactly happened to the grill - you're being a bit vague there. If you're not sure what happened, then I would suggest that you start by going to your GP. Once is a mistake, of the sort that we all make sometimes. Twice is looking like a trend, and you need some professional help to assess what is going on with you, before you start fixing anything.

I would guess that if you approach the insurance company about a second, similar event so soon, they may choose to cancel your cover. This could make it difficult to get cover from someone else, because you would have to declare it. So you may just have to pay for the cost of repairs yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,436 ✭✭✭cml387

Allyall wrote: »
    I only had it on low. It's an oven and grill. Oven below, Grill on top. It burnt out the clock and the 4 knobs for the Oven/Grill.. It is destroyed, and a lot more damage to press above it.

I don't know if this helps,but...

My mother got a new cooker after nearly 50 years of faithful service from her old one.

I tried to use the grill on day one (it's integrated with the oven) but it started to heat up the plastic knobs so that I could smell hot plastic. I switched it off.
    My mother showed me a bit of metal plating that came with the oven. This, apparently, clips above the gill and deflects heat from the grill when it's on.

The bottom line is that it's a stupid design. I bought my mother a toaster.

As I say I don't know whether yours is the same design, but if it is I wouldn't beat myself up over it.

And buy a deep fat fryer.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,381 ✭✭✭✭Allyall

Firstly, What exactly happened to the grill - you're being a bit vague there. If you're not sure what happened, then I would suggest that you start by going to your GP. Once is a mistake, of the sort that we all make sometimes. Twice is looking like a trend, and you need some professional help to assess what is going on with you, before you start fixing anything.

I would guess that if you approach the insurance company about a second, similar event so soon, they may choose to cancel your cover. This could make it difficult to get cover from someone else, because you would have to declare it. So you may just have to pay for the cost of repairs yourself.

The first time wasn't me, but today, I went to use the grill. I had it on low, to make toast. I left it on.. :mad:
    I heard something crash and I went in to the kitchen to check it. Flames were coming out of the grill about 4-5 inches high. They had burned the clock off (That was the crash I heard) and melted both knobs on the right hand side.

I'm not going to approach the insurance Company about the 2nd claim, that's what I was wondering. I am just really annoyed at the minute. I can't believe I have done it.
    Smoke alarm in the hall didn't go off.. And there was a lot of smoke in the kitchen :(:mad:.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,223 ✭✭✭Michael D Not Higgins

Quick question: did you have the grill on with the oven door closed? I've heard of people having fires by doing that.

• Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭Eldarion

The first time wasn't me, but today, I went to use the grill. I had it on low, to make toast. I left it on.. :mad:
    I heard something crash and I went in to the kitchen to check it. Flames were coming out of the grill about 4-5 inches high. They had burned the clock off (That was the crash I heard) and melted both knobs on the right hand side.

Wasn't you? Who was it then?

So with the grill you went and made toast, took it out and ate your toast but forgot to turn the grill off? Did you close up the door or something? I'm not sure how leaving a grill on low would do anything other than give off heat the house. What exactly went on fire?

• Advertisement

Eldarion wrote: »
    Wasn't you? Who was it then?

So with the grill you went and made toast, took it out and ate your toast but forgot to turn the grill off? Did you close up the door or something? I'm not sure how leaving a grill on low would do anything other than give off heat the house. What exactly went on fire?

Someone else.
    Yes, I forgot to turn the grill off. It was at 2 on the dial. Less than 10 minutes.
    I didn't close the door for the grill. I don't know what first went on fire, but the grill pan had flames coming out when I got back in, and the top of the oven was burned off. Possibly the grill tray was dirty, but it couldn't have been very bad, it still looks cleanish.. (The actual tray, not everything else.)

Quick question: did you have the grill on with the oven door closed? I've heard of people having fires by doing that.

Yes.
    The Grill door was open though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭Barely There

You need to stop getting so stoned.

You need to stop getting so stoned.

I wish I had been.. I wish I was now..

I am freaked. :(

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,305 Mod ✭✭✭✭F1ngers

Is this grill from the same cooker that got damaged by the oil situation from two weeks ago?

Are you sure it wasn't the oil that leaked into the cooker and just waited for you to turn it on?

Yes.
    The Grill door was open though.

Sorry yes the grill door is what I meant. It's strange since I know my dad leaves the grill on full blast back home, sometimes for 15-20 mins at a time without incident.

You did mention the grill pan was on fire, which depending on the crumbs/oily build up could easily be the source of a fire.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭Eldarion

I wish I had been.. I wish I was now..

I am freaked. :(

Ok relax, all this is rectified by less than a grand or so, I'd just suggest, as Mrs O'Bumble suggested, that you not go through your insurance for the second incident and just cover the damages yourself.

These things do happen but shouldn't happen with great frequency...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,959 ✭✭✭gugleguy

whatever you can afford OP - agreed with last poster.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭empacher

Are you using the same oven that the hobs blew up on? Assuming the insurance company hasn't paid out yet.

If it's the same oven, then you're stark raving bonkers.

F1ngers wrote: »
    Is this grill from the same cooker that got damaged by the oil situation from two weeks ago?

Are you sure it wasn't the oil that leaked into the cooker and just waited for you to turn it on?
    No, that was a separat Hob that was left on, and hob cover/extractor took most of the damage.
    Sorry yes the grill door is what I meant. It's strange since I know my dad leaves the grill on full blast back home, sometimes for 15-20 mins at a time without incident.

You did mention the grill pan was on fire, which depending on the crumbs/oily build up could easily be the source of a fire.

Yeah, possibly. It was on low as the grill does get quite hot. Maybe the reflective strip somebody mentioned above.
    Eldarion wrote: »
    Ok relax, all this is rectified by less than a grand or so, I'd just suggest, as Mrs O'Bumble suggested, that you not go through your insurance for the second incident and just cover the damages yourself.

These things do happen but shouldn't happen with great frequency...
    Never ever happened before. TBH, it may not have happened had the toaster not been damaged by previous accident.

I am starting to calm now, and I won't go near insurance, but it is very annoying. luckily I hadn't left the house..

• Registered Users Posts: 503 ✭✭✭Mikros

I don't understand how a grill can go on fire on a low setting in less than 10 minutes... How did you manage to use the grill in the past without it going on fire?

Mikros wrote: »
    I don't understand how a grill can go on fire on a low setting in less than 10 minutes... How did you manage to use the grill in the past without it going on fire?

The other thing that doesn't make sense is the alarm not going off. This is my smoke alarm
    funny-smoke-alarm-burnt-toast.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

cml387 wrote: »
    And buy a deep fat fryer.
    Please don't buy or use a deep fat fryer, or any other appliance that involves oil, heat or electricity.

Mikros wrote: »
    Very rarely used it. I knew it tended to get hot very quickly, hence it was on low heat.
    The other thing that doesn't make sense is the alarm not going off. This is my smoke alarm
    funny-smoke-alarm-burnt-toast.jpg
    I don't know either, it's not in the kitchen, it's in the hall, the door was closed. When I went in, the alarm started to go off..

The oven is going to cost me €400ish and as for the presses above it, I'm not sure yet, but it's not going to be cheap. My only saving grace is that it was due to be painted anyway, because of last time, so I won't have to pay for that.
    RainyDay wrote: »
    Please don't buy or use a deep fat fryer, or any other appliance that involves oil, heat or electricity.

No, I don't deep fry anything, someone was staying here, and long story... they deep fry.

Anyway, that was earlier, I was in the height of it. I have since calmed down, and am still very p***ed off about it, but there's not a lot I can do except accept it, and be glad I hadn't left the house.

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭Diane Selwyn

RainyDay wrote: »

I'm not especially superstitious (like about things happening in threes and such) but would recommend take-aways for a while...oh and get in the habit of turning off the cooker on the wall before you retire with your plate to the dining area. I learned this the hard way and now posses a unique collection of singed and melted kitchenwear. At least you discovered your faulty smoke alarm.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭lukesmom

Just keep out of the kitchen because I'm at a loss trying to understand why you would use the oven that already blew up and was awaiting a claim on, the mind boggles.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭Tarzana

It's sometimes a bit unclear whether you're to leave the door closed or open with the grill on, and sometimes there are no instructions for appliances. Usually on older ones though, you need to keep the door open.

lukesmom wrote: »
    Just keep out of the kitchen because I'm at a loss trying to understand why you would use the oven that already blew up and was awaiting a claim on, the mind boggles.

Hob is in the middle of the kitchen. It's a standalone. The oven/Grill is over on the left of the kitchen. The hob and everything immediately around it and above it were destroyed.

I wasn't using the Hob, I used the Grill, as the toaster had been destroyed.
    Anyway, Went to D.I.D, Power City, Harvey Norman and Dimpco..

Looks like an oven is going to cost me €500 at least... It could've been worse. I may have done after the first mess had been rectified.
    I shouldn't have used it, or even been there, but it's done now, and there's not a lot I can do, on top of that, I believe that gril would have caused problems in the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,637 ✭✭✭brightspark

As a rule never leave anything unattended.

I had a toaster go on fire once, could have burnt down the kitchen/house. Flames were quite high within a couple of minutes.

I will never buy another plastic toaster again.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,055 ✭✭✭Emme

I feel like an absolute idiot.. :mad:

Two weeks ago left hob on with oil. Serious smoke damage done, and Hob cover exploded (Glass) all over the kitchen. Luckily it never became a full fire, but there is a lot of smoke damage.
    Because of the smoke damage I have been unable to stay there, and Insurance guys arrived and checked out the place. I have been staying in different places, but I have not looked for any money for hotel or lodgings etc..

Anyway, two days ago I got sick of moving around, and I decided to check out the house. House was aired out, I thought it may be okay to stay. I stayed the night here last night and the night before.
    This morning I wanted to make toast. Toaster was broken from previous damage, so I used grill...

:mad::mad::mad::mad:

I'm livid... Does anybody know where to go from here? I feel like an absolute idiot, do I have to phone insurance again? They haven't even finished processing the last time...
    I don't know what to do, any help really appreciated..

OP, is this your house and did you get the hob etc. installed yourself? If so who installed it? Were they properly qualified? Is the appliance under guarantee?

Have you checked out online reviews of the model of hob that exploded? Other people may report faults with the same model.

If you own the house did you get a RECI certified electrician to check out the wiring etc.? If you are renting has the landlord done this? Eitherways I would advise you to get the wiring in your house checked out immediately by a RECI certified electrician. Here is a link to find one in your area:
    www.reci.ie/ConsumerServices/FindanElectrician.aspx

If I were you I wouldn't bother with toast or anything that needs cooking until you have the claim and the electrics in your house properly checked out. It's ryvita and cheese for you for the moment I'm afraid...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭nibtrix

get in the habit of turning off the cooker on the wall before you retire with your plate

You shouldn't turn the cooker off at the wall until it has cooled down - often the oven will run the fan for several minutes after you finish cooking to help the heat dissipate and prevent the electronics from heat damage. Turning it off at the wall stops it from doing this!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,687 ✭✭✭✭Penny Tration

May seem a bit simple, but have you considered NOT leaving a cooker unattended?

Advertisement