Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

American Sniper - Bradley Cooper - Clint Eastwood Dir

1235»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,655 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

I read the book when it came out and thought the guy was an absolute nut job who e joyed killing. The film "attempts" to portray him as some all American hero/patriot. Enjoyed the film but never fell for the propaganda that it tried to instil.

I suppose they had to portray him in a certain light after his Father threatened them
    The father of Chris Kyle, the deadliest sniper in US history, has revealed how he told Clint Eastwood he faced 'Hell' if he tarnished his son's heroic reputation with a Hollywood film about his life.

Wayne Kyle said he looked into the eyes of the veteran director and warned him: 'Disrespect my son and I'll unleash Hell on you.'

• Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭Jamsiek

What a film is 'about', and what its 'themes' are can be very different things. There's plenty of films made about utterly horrendous people, but the films are worthwhile because they address certain issues and promote debate and conversation. This film has absolutely done that. Go see the film and join the conversation, rather than ranting away about stuff you've half-heard.

Looks like the main issue with the right-wingers that love this movie is
    " 'Murcans good guys, Iraqi 'savages' bad guys"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭Right Turn Clyde

Your the one that started the insults mate.

I did, and I apologise. I know exactly how to deal with people like you, and yet I always seem to get involved. Goodnight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭Technocentral

I did, and I apologise. I know exactly how to deal with people like you, and yet I always seem to get involved. Goodnight.

As Darth Vader once said " apology accepted".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,566 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

Wasn't the guy this is based on a right wing racist? Why make films about these scumbags?
    I guess you've never seen Downfall.

Hardly the same thing though, is it.

:/

From the book he seemed more like a mad xenophobe than racist.

There's an extremely fine line between the two.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭donaghs

Fcuk him and his sort.

Your not really making many any reference to the film (other than early on in the thread referring to the fact that the main character is based on someone you may have an intense dislike for), or coherent arguments?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭pmasterson95

You'd want to see some of his other posts. Hes a special lil fella.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 247 ✭✭happysunnydays

I normally see a thread as such similar to a slow burn, a sparking wick attached to something explosive, issues with contrasting opinions all set to blow spectacularly. When it finally happens, the professionals standby to observe voyeuristically beautiful coloured language equal to firework entertainment....just like 60's bubble gum America open top cars and Friday night at the movies! Unfortunately for the speed tongues ..... a little holiday but we will see you all again later just in time for the Summer releases. Such is the nature of the devisive American Sniper, a film which pulls you in, chews you up and spits out something slightly nasty.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Its about to become the most successful film released in 2014 - $334m as of Friday and will top most recent The Hunger Games film within the week. Quite an achievement for an R rated release about a bloke watching a war through a rifle scope.

Jesus, that's depressing.

All other issues with the film aside. It really isn't that good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 224 ✭✭SoftMicro

Don't know what to make of this film. Not sure if I liked it or not. Some parts were good and other parts were poor. Totally on the fence with this. Couldn't recommend it, but also couldn't say don't bother.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

Did anyone else spot the GAA jerseys in the bar at the beginning?.They looked to me to be correct for the era as well.

I enjoyed the film the action scenes were excellent and Coopers performance was outstanding.

I think indirectly the film was critical of the Chris Kyle as he was portrayed as enjoying his job as a sniper and it seemed to be getting at the angle that a lot soldiers are in war because they like it and not out of some heroic gesture.

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭MattB11

Seen this rexently...wasn't what it was hyped up to be or anywhere near it

Advertisement