Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Australian drivers licence

Options
  • 03-10-2014 1:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭

I've just switched over to a 457 Visa and I'm still using my Irish licence, do I have to change to a Australian one soon?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

top madra wrote: »
    I've just switched over to a 457 Visa and I'm still using my Irish licence, do I have to change to a Australian one soon?

No not in Victoria, drive on that puppy till you get PR

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭top madra

I'm in NSW, but I'm guessing it should be the same...

What happens if you get caught speeding etc do the points build up somewhere or are we immune from them, fortunately I haven't got any yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

You have a name and date of birth, they create you on the system and your piont's rack up.

Driving in NSW with a foreign licence is allowed if you meet all the following conditions below:

\You are a temporary overseas visitor (tourists, people with working visa, people on a temporary business trip, people visiting friends or relatives)
    Your foreign licence or driver permit is current and valid
    Your foreign licence is in English, otherwise, you must carry an English translation of your licence or your International Driving Permit
    You have not been given a suspension or disqualification to drive in NSW or somewhere else

• Registered Users Posts: 647 ✭✭✭ArseBurger

top madra wrote: »
    I'm in NSW, but I'm guessing it should be the same...

What happens if you get caught speeding etc do the points build up somewhere or are we immune from them, fortunately I haven't got any yet.

You can drive on an Irish licence for the duration of a 457.

You are not 'immune' to points per se. NSW Police cannot add points to a foreign licence. However, they can remove your ability to drive on that licence if they deem that you have effectively gained enough points.

Basically, you'll get fined if you break traffic rules/laws. Drive normally and do your best not to break any and you'll be ok.

Advertisement