Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are there any electronic shop in Dublin that sell DVR recorders ???

Options
  • 03-10-2014 1:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭

Any one know of any electronic shops in Dublin that sell DVR recorders...ya know, what people used to record programs from the telly, before the cable companies gave out boxes that you could record on? I need to transfer some stuff from my UPC box onto discs. (No, I'm not making illegal bootleg copies of TV shows, in case the mods think I am up to no good. :p )

I have tried all the big chains (Power City, Argos, Harvey Norman, DID Electric) and they haven't sold them in years. There is nothing on DoneDeal or eBay Ireland either. There is one small electronic shop down in Cork that has them, but I was hoping to find them closer to home. Are there any independent retailers (like Peats) left in the greater Dublin area, (including surrounding counties) that would be worth checking out. Ta.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭uch

I know a guy who works for a company that sells them, it's out in Mulhuddard, as far as I'm aware they have a trade counter to go out and pick one up, I can find out if you like.

21/25

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

That would be brilliant, thanks. I've seen some very expensive ones on line, that are used for home security purposes mainly & not entertainment. So hopefully this is not one of those.

Ideally, I'd prefer to get one second hand, or heavily discounted from a shop as it is discontinued stock. I'm only going to use it on a once off basis, so I'm hoping to keep costs down.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭uch

Sent you a PM, hope they have what you are looking for

21/25

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,536 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

I saw 2 for sale in the oxfam shop off Parnell St. (Where FAS office is). They come guarateed too, I bought a cd player when there and that was just wednesday gone. Can't remember price.

Thanks humberklog, I'll check them out. I've a feeling its places like that that are more likely to have them.

Keep the suggestions coming folks. I checked out uch's kind suggestion & they only do recording equipment for security.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭rolliepoley

I dont know if its still there but try capital video on North Fredrick street, they used to rent players out.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,660 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

ProudDUB wrote: »
    Thanks humberklog, I'll check them out. I've a feeling its places like that that are more likely to have them.

Keep the suggestions coming folks. I checked out uch's kind suggestion & they only do recording equipment for security.

Another option, depending on the volume of "stuff" yuo have (and assuming you have a suitable computer, is a video capture card for the computer/laptop/Mac etc and use the computer to convert it to mp4/avi.

Or use a camcorder.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭hfallada

Maybe try donedeal or adverts

Another option, depending on the volume of "stuff" yuo have (and assuming you have a suitable computer, is a video capture card for the computer/laptop/Mac etc and use the computer to convert it to mp4/avi.

Or use a camcorder.

I don't even know what they are. (Am kinda clueless about this kind of stuff. :o ) But I was told by someone who is, that my only option is to use a video recording device. This is due to the input & output ports that are on the back of the UPC box.

Advertisement