Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Barcelona Marathon 2015

Options
  • 03-10-2014 2:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 572 ✭✭✭

About to sign up for this after London rejection. Seems to get good reviews generally.

Any tips from those who have run it before?

Looks fairly flat?
    Good hotels to stay in?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭Toffeeboy

www. boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=87251539

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭groovyg

About to sign up for this after London rejection. Seems to get good reviews generally.

Any tips from those who have run it before?

Looks fairly flat?
    Good hotels to stay in?

If you are signing up for it, you should probably book flights as well, as Aer Lingus have some good deals on flights at the mo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Yes it's a great race, fast course and brilliantly organised. The city is full of excellent hotels and the transport is A1 with a metro stop beside the start/finish area.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,625 ✭✭✭ThebitterLemon

Can get a bit hot Even in March CJ

TbL

• Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭Slow_Runner

Great city and great marathon. Loads of hotels, just make sure you book a hotel near a metro station and you'll be grand.
    Great atmosphere at the start with music blaring and confetti as you cross the start line, no congestion and loads of water/fruit/powerade on the way.
    Only downside is the heat was a killer last year and there are a few loooonng out-and-back straight's which, personally, I didn't like.
    You run past loads of the city landmarks however I didn't see many as I was in the horrors for the last 4 miles:(.
    Overall a great experience.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭KingMambo26

Anybody here running this marathon next year?

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Gman77

Signed up this week, having read reviews from previous threads, which all looked quite positive. I haven't trained much since DCM in Oct., was disappointed with how that went on the day, so looking to make amends in Barca :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Degzer1

Training since the 1st of dec for barca which will be my first marathon . A little worried about the heat to be honest as well as the fact that all my training runs have been in the good irish cold . All advice welcome for a first timer !!

• Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭Slow_Runner

Degzer1 wrote: »
    Training since the 1st of dec for barca which will be my first marathon . A little worried about the heat to be honest as well as the fact that all my training runs have been in the good irish cold . All advice welcome for a first timer !!

Not much you can do tbh. Best bet is to make sure you layer up when running in this weather to ensure you are warm when running and try to mimic what your body will go through. Other than that adjust you goal based on what the temp is at on the day. Last year was particularly hot - people were still going around in heavy coats as the week before was cold!
    Best of luck and enjoy it, great atmosphere there.

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭ac20

great marathon. Did it in 2012 and 2013. 2012 was sunny and warm about 18 degrees, 2013 wet and cool enough i thought. Great atmosphere around course. Visit to George Payne afterwards a must!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭born2bwild

Doing this - my first ever marathon.

A bit of a problem, though: my flight doesn't get to El Prat till 20.30 on the Saturday - collecting chips/bibs closes at 8pm.

If anyone else is going to this I'd appreciate (with a bottle of el booze or el anything else) if someone could collect my chip/bib

PM me, if you can help me out?
    Thanks a lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭Bruz82

Me and my friend ( both male & 32) signed up for this....training since Mid Oct. Will be my 2nd Marathon and hoping to learn form the 1st one.
    I could probably help you out there "born2bwild". My flight is early Saturday morning.......hopefully they let you collect someone else's chip/bib.
    Ive reserved Hotel Auto Hogar on Av. del Parallel. Is about 2km from the finish line along the marathon route. Send me a PM and we'll sort something out.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭belcarra

The bus from the airport to Placa de Catalunya goes via Placa d'Espanya where the expo is.
    I hopped off on my way from the airport last year and it was fine but when I left there was a huge queue outside the door.

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭TJC

born2bwild wrote: »
    Doing this - my first ever marathon.

A bit of a problem, though: my flight doesn't get to El Prat till 20.30 on the Saturday - collecting chips/bibs closes at 8pm.

If anyone else is going to this I'd appreciate (with a bottle of el booze or el anything else) if someone could collect my chip/bib

PM me, if you can help me out?
    Thanks a lot.

Ran this a few years ago, was in the same boat as yourself. They let me pick up my number from the marathon hotel.. no problems, although they were a bit slow with replies to emails...

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭frebel

Looking forward to this now...

For anyone that did this last year - do ye know if there will be 2:45 pacers. I have mention of them but on the site map of starting there is no mention of 2:45 pacers but are for other paces

• Registered Users Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭belcarra

frebel wrote: »

For anyone that did this last year - do ye know if there will be 2:45 pacers. I have mention of them but on the site map of starting there is no mention of 2:45 pacers but are for other paces

Regrettably I had no cause for taking any notice of pacers at that pace last year!:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭Bruz82

From the website
    http://www.zurichmaratobarcelona.es/info_i.htm

bola.gifPacemakers
    Seven pacemakers will take part in the race. They will set an even pace for runners to follow to finish the marathon in six different times: 2h45m, 3h00m, 3h15m, 3h30m, 4h00m and 4h30m.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭sideswipe

frebel wrote: »

There was last year anyway- had them in my sights for a while...........during one of the 2 out & back sections;)

Enjoy, t'is a great race in an excellent city.

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭frebel

sideswipe wrote: »
    There was last year anyway- had them in my sights for a while...........during one of the 2 out & back sections;)

Enjoy, t'is a great race in an excellent city.

sound - yeah been there loads of times but really looking forward to running through the streets and around the Camp Nou

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭KingMambo26

Bruz82 wrote: »
    Me and my friend ( both male & 32) signed up for this....training since Mid Oct. Will be my 2nd Marathon and hoping to learn form the 1st one.
    I could probably help you out there "born2bwild". My flight is early Saturday morning.......hopefully they let you collect someone else's chip/bib.
    Ive reserved Hotel Auto Hogar on Av. del Parallel. Is about 2km from the finish line along the marathon route. Send me a PM and we'll sort something out.

I'm hoping to collect my mate's chip/bib but i notice they ask for passport which kinda defeats the purpose since my mate will need his to get in the country in the first place. Any ideas? Past experience?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,016 ✭✭✭Itziger

Any reports at all from this race?

Itziger wrote: »
    Any reports at all from this race?

Great atmosphere - great weather - my last mile was the fastest - I was pleased but relied on GPS watch for pacing and so realised too late that I was not going to get the time I wanted.

Very well organised but the sheer numbers meant that there were bottlenecks at times.

born2bwild wrote: »
    Great atmosphere - great weather - my last mile was the fastest - I was pleased but relied on GPS watch for pacing and so realised too late that I was not going to get the time I wanted.

Very well organised but the sheer numbers meant that there were bottlenecks at times.

That's not a report!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 653 ✭✭✭skittles8710

That's not a report!!!

Tough crowd

Tough crowd

Skittles, you doing Cork this year or are there other plans?

Skittles, you doing Cork this year or are there other plans?

I'll do the half in Cork and train for the full in Dublin. A lot on in May so can't commit to the Cork full for various reasons. Great Island 10 will be next up I'd say. What about yourself?

I'll do the half in Cork and train for the full in Dublin. A lot on in May so can't commit to the Cork full for various reasons. Great Island 10 will be next up I'd say. What about yourself?

I have a lovely 'no pressure' downhill trail Half in Castellon (Valencia) coming up in April, then a 10k or two and another Half at end of June. Then New York Marathon on Nov. 1st.

Already done a few bits and pieces including pb last Sunday in Half 1.22.04.

Best of luck in Cork and Dublin. Will that be just your 2nd Marathon, or have you done others? You post in the PRoC anymore?

I have a lovely 'no pressure' downhill trail Half in Castellon (Valencia) coming up in April, then a 10k or two and another Half at end of June. Then New York Marathon on Nov. 1st.

Already done a few bits and pieces including pb last Sunday in Half 1.22.04.

Best of luck in Cork and Dublin. Will that be just your 2nd Marathon, or have you done others? You post in the PRoC anymore?

Oh that's brilliant congrats on the pb some quick time!! You'll be kept busy for the next few months so!

Ya it'll just be my second full was out of action for a few months after last June few trips to the physio etc. Must make sure to keep up the pilates this time around to avoid injuries.

Haven't posted on the proc in a while must check back in there again,!

Hey - any advice on this relatively trivial matter. I had a (female) friend pick up my tshirt and timing chip for me before the race. They gave her a woman's t shirt, though and that's obviously not what I want. I have been in contact with the race organisers about exchanging what I have (a purple woman's t shirt) for what I want (a blue bloke's t shirt) but they're giving me the 'we don't have any left' line - which just has to be nonsense.
    What do you reckon I should do?
    Just wear the woman's t shirt with pride?

• Advertisement
Advertisement