Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why do the Irish swear so much ?

Options
  • 03-10-2014 3:06pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭

So many people seem throw throw in f**k and similar words. I think it's vile, more than that it's vile that so many people seem ok with it. Was watching a tv3 show earlier, and they were discussing this, and I was dismayed by the fact that most panelists seemed to deem it acceptable.It 'adds fire to a conversation' one said . If people on television deem it ok, what hope is there for there for the ordinary Joe and Mary on the street?.

I think it sounds awful, just crude, and prevalence here is so very widespread. Does it not sound crude to the users? why do they do it? I just loose respect for anyone I hear talking in this way.

Sorry just wanted to vent :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,311 ✭✭✭✭endacl

We just fcuking do.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

What's wrong with it? Most "swear" words are not oaths, and are not pejorative: they are strongly expressive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭Spirogyra

is it due to lack of vocabulary?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Donnielighto

Hardly, it adds emphasis, to say that it shows a lack of vocabulary would need to show that other nations use a wider array of words. We just curse differently to others.

Spirogyra wrote: »

Indeed. An unfortunately truncated fcuking lexicon must indeed form the redoubtable buttress upon which this fcuking lamentable national tendency leans. Fukfukfukfukfukfukfuk!

:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

No. It's to do with lack of language inhibition and a willingness to use pretty well all of the vocabulary that I have.

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭Paul_Hacket

Wow, how wonderfully condescending thing to say! Which urbane corner of the globe do you hark from to ask a question such as that? Please do tell.

Irish people have always been direct types who do not put on airs and graces. We aren't exactly known for being unable to express ourselves as our success in drama, poetry and literature might demonstrate. However if a few swear words in colloquial convesation is too much for your delicate sensibilities then maybe this isn't the country for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭eet fuk

Wat duz dat big fukin wurd at de.end meen?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,943 ✭✭✭smcgiff

<
    Victorian times.

As for it being due to a lack of vocabulary, you might want to check out the likes of Roddy Doyle or James Joyce.

As for what our near neighbours have done to the English language. It's criminal, innit.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭ollaetta

Good question, fcuked if I know the answer.

• Advertisement

Fcuks sake, lads! Go easy with the fcuking swearing.

:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 559 ✭✭✭Mearings

Hesitation, repetition or deviation?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭tac foley

In the twenty-something years that I knew my father, I never heard him swear once.

And him a proud Cork man, too.

tac

Advertisement