Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

J1

Options
  • 03-10-2014 4:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭

Hi, I'm hoping to get a J1 this year and go to California. I'm just wondering, if I end up going by myself is there any clubs or anything that might get a bunch of people together to share accommodation? Also about getting a job, is it possible to get a job before getting there? Any job websites for people with J1s? Where would be my best bet to seek employment? I'd happily do anything and have experience on retail and fast food. Heard it's an amazing life experience so Im eager to do this!

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭PhilBill

You should think about going Myrtle Beach! Then both of us could join up and not be lonesome anymore!!! Plus accom would be a lot cheaper!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 chewy64

What part of California are you planning on travelling to? I'm planning to go to San Fransisco (more than likely alone). Try craigslist for accommodation and jobs (you probably won't find anything until closer to the summer though.

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭Dave1442397

Check for resorts in whichever area you plan on going to. The bigger resorts with websites will start taking summer job applications as we get into Spring.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,343 ✭✭✭dwayneshintzy

Anyone going to SF, this is the best resource you can have really; https://www.facebook.com/IIPCSF?ref=ts&fref=ts

Contact them with any questions, they're very helpful.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 nobanterellis

Hi guys.
    I'm thinking about going to San diego for the summer. Anyone with any experience ?
    What are Accomadtoin and jobs like ??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26 calron

Hey I am planning on doing a J1 in NY this summer but will be going alone, but have no idea about accommodation as I know most people go with a group and get it cheaper, just wondering if anyone could help?
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 4 NicoleJ

Hi Guys, We are a group of 3 irish gals going to Huntington beach this summer from the end of May to the start of september. We were wondering if there is any good groups for finding roomates in the area?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Caddoh

Looking for ideas on the best places to go in California for jobs and accommodation, any warnings or help appreciated!! Flying to LAX but have to pick somewhere fairly sharpish. Going with 2 of my mates

• Registered Users Posts: 1,343 ✭✭✭dwayneshintzy

California is an absolutely massive state, San Francisco is nearly 400 miles from LA. Are you set on southern California?

I'd definitely recommend San Francisco over LA, but that's my own personal experience. I'd echo my post from earlier that https://www.facebook.com/IIPCSF?ref=ts&fref=ts is a very good resource if you wanted to head to SF, though.

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭ioc

lol does anyone else notice on these forums you get more questions than answers..........

• Advertisement

Hi there!
    So, i was in my first year of an arts degree in UCC, but decided to drop out cos i want to start studying art next year. i dropped out the day before 2nd semester started (31st jan) so i wouldn't have a full year of tuition fees to pay next year, but right before that, i went into college and got my usit application form stamped and signed etc. usit told me that my student card would suffice as 'proof of current student status' at the embassy interview, so when i dropped out i told student records i'd lost it, so i still have it to use at the embassy if needs be. so far so good...i haven't been found out yet anyway. but, my interview is coming up, and i'm gettin a little worried about being caught out as a chancer and thus being ****ed. but i'm sure other people must've tried this too, right? if anyone knows of anyone who did the same, i'd really love to hear how they got on! thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭lil_lisa

****MOD WARNING:****

ioc, since this would mean you are acquiring a visa against the visa terms, i.e. illegally, any advice given would be illegal advice. Please review our forum charter here:

• No illegal recommendations regarding entry, overstay, action within, or exiting United States.

^^^it was test question you can't even give proper advice on the questions that were rightly asked in the first place lil_lisa!! enjoy your weekend ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Monalo

Hey, not really sure how Boards.ie works but it says in the guidelines to type in relevant forums so I looked up J1 and this is the first thing that came up, so, my question is, how bad would it be to do a J1 at 19 years of age? Because of the fact my college course is 3 years and I started when I was 17 there's no way I'll be able to do a J1 as a 21-year-old, unless I do my Masters, but so much could happen before then and I have a feeling if I put it off until then I'll never do it. So, is it worth doing a J1 at all if you're not 21? Thanks :)

• Registered Users Posts: 22 bobmaster

I'm a DCU student from Dublin and heading to New York on May 25th, if anyone is going around that date and wants to share a place or has room for one extra person in their place, give me a shout :-)

I was meant to do a J1 at 21 and it fell through, I'm now doing it at 26! I'd say do it while you have the chance, the years will fly by!

• Registered Users Posts: 3 shauna7827

Hey just wondering if you got sorted for accommodation? I'm looking to head to New York on june 16th and looking for a place to stay :)

• Registered Users Posts: 21 sbrowsing

Hey guys was just wondering if anyone has any details of how to get a job in a golf club as a caddy? We need jobs before we go this year so any contacts etc, would be really appreciated. Looking at going to California but not sure exactly where yet!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭TimeToShine

sbrowsing wrote: »
    Hey guys was just wondering if anyone has any details of how to get a job in a golf club as a caddy? We need jobs before we go this year so any contacts etc, would be really appreciated. Looking at going to California but not sure exactly where yet!

I can only speak from my experience in SF but none of the clubs in the Bay Area took us, me and my friends were out in mid May and still had no luck.

By all means try, I know of people who got it in different states but nobody I know of had any luck last year. Also they are absolutely miles out of the way and a nightmare to get to in SF. I don't know what the deal is in San Diego.

Also, getting a job as a caddy before you leave is nigh on impossible, every fella and their dog last year was chancing their arm! Unfortunately it's nothing original and unless you know someone it won't be easy.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭Dublin991

bobmaster wrote: »
    I'm a DCU student from Dublin and heading to New York on May 25th, if anyone is going around that date and wants to share a place or has room for one extra person in their place, give me a shout :-)

I was meant to do a J1 at 21 and it fell through, I'm now doing it at 26! I'd say do it while you have the chance, the years will fly by!

Hey man seen that you were planning on going New York this year...I'm planning on it for next summer....any advice? Or contacts for jobs? Appreciate any information you could give. Cheers

Advertisement